Oceania "free air" vs. doing your own?

twopats

I got the same quote - I may regret it but I've not booked it yet - something about this cruise that I can't pull the trigger on just yet :confused:

Got our flights the other day O gave us AC non-stop both ways

no additional charge.

Worth the $100 deviation fee for us

Lyn

I got the same quote - I may regret it but I've not booked it yet - something about this cruise that I can't pull the trigger on just yet :confused:

I thought you were already booked:confused::confused:

Cabins are filling up we could not get the Cat we wanted so have a GTY in B3

Lyn

No one has mentioned if you do your own air and there is an unexpected problem you are on your own..when the volcano was spewing..Oceania put all their air passengers up in a hotel and took care of all of their flights..just a heads up!

Jancruz1

No one has mentioned if you do your own air and there is an unexpected problem you are on your own..when the volcano was spewing..Oceania put all their air passengers up in a hotel and took care of all of their flights..just a heads up!

Jancruz1

As I understand it Jan, Oceania took care of everybody , not just those who had booked air through Oceania. :D

As I understand it Jan, Oceania took care of everybody , not just those who had booked air through Oceania. :D

Not sure where you heard that but the O staff only took care of Oceania booked air clients..the passengers that booked themselves were on their own.

Jancruz1

Not sure where you heard that but the O staff only took care of Oceania booked air clients..the passengers that booked themselves were on their own.

Jancruz1

I hate to disagree with you, Jan, but Oceania really stepped up to the plate during the time of the Ash Cloud and took care of EVERY ONE OF THEIR PASSENGERS:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1186649&highlight=oceania+rebooked+air

FDR insisted on it, and Tim Rubacky was working around the clock for several days running.

I hate to disagree with you, Jan, but Oceania really stepped up to the plate during the time of the Ash Cloud and took care of EVERY ONE OF THEIR PASSENGERS:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1186649&highlight=oceania+rebooked+air

I think you are both right

Jim I read they may have help passengers but they did not PAY for those that did not have air booked through O

The Air/Cruise passengers were put up in hotels at Oceania expense but not ALL their passengers

I know you will correct me if I am wrong;)

The two people in that thread were Air/cruise passengers

Just the way I interpreted it

Lyn

FDR insisted on it, and Tim Rubacky was working around the clock for several days running.

From O:

"We put up all Guests who had air through us in hotel rooms and re-booked their air. Guests who were cruise only we assisted with their needs but majority handled it on their own."

I guess what you and I should look at is our definition of being taken care of. I know that in a crisis we both could certainly handle anything that came up, on the other hand there are many people out there they really get thrown by changes and need someone to help them. I certainly am not saying everyone should book O's air but if you are prone to getting nervous when things change then I would definitely consider booking O's air.

Have a great day..

Jancruz1

With Air Deviations, if you don't like the first one, ask for another. Our next Cruise Rio to Santiago -- it took 4 tries before we could agree/accept.

Does anyone have the air deviation and able to choose seats on the airlines? Our airline states we are not able to choose until final cruise payment is made (for us that is october 2010). Our TA confirmed that but I wonder if there is a way we can reserve our seats sooner?

Does anyone have the air deviation and able to choose seats on the airlines? Our airline states we are not able to choose until final cruise payment is made (for us that is october 2010). Our TA confirmed that but I wonder if there is a way we can reserve our seats sooner?

I have seats that O booked but not able to make any changes for the same reason as yours

Guess will see when final payment rolls around

Lyn

From O:

"We put up all Guests who had air through us in hotel rooms and re-booked their air. Guests who were cruise only we assisted with their needs but majority handled it on their own."

I guess what you and I should look at is our definition of being taken care of. I know that in a crisis we both could certainly handle anything that came up, on the other hand there are many people out there they really get thrown by changes and need someone to help them. I certainly am not saying everyone should book O's air but if you are prone to getting nervous when things change then I would definitely consider booking O's air.

Have a great day..

Jancruz1

My translation: Oceania has a real obligation to those who've booked air through them (and even more, I guess, if they have booked a hotel stay as well).

But independent guests ARE independent guests. (I should make clear that WE are usually traveling independently.) I think it's great if the cruiseline steps up to help all their passengers in an emergency, but I would expect them to do more for those passengers who are paying for their services than for those of us who usually can handle things on our own.

We were on an NCL T/A when the ash problem arose and we were very lucky -- first, for once we WERE using their air, but more to the point -- we arrived in Venice on 4/24, two days after Venice Airport was opened. So we had no problem. But if we HAD had a problem, we just figured we'd stay on in Europe for a while ... it never even occurred to us to ask NCL for help!

People who were traveling on Renaissance when 9/11 happened -- well, that was a whole 'nother ball of wax!

I, of course, am delighted to hear that Oceania really stepped up to the plate for their passengers who were traveling at the height of the volcano problem ... but I would expect no less.

As Jan says, if you are someone who gets nervous when something untoward happens -- using the cruiseline's services is always safest.

We do have a cabin booked - just not entirely sure if we're going to end up going or not.

We also have a Baltic cruise booked for the summer and discussion in our house is maybe we should only go on one.

Markets go up = feel better = spend

Markets go down = feel poor = save

I won't say it's logical :D

Anyway, we're booked on both for now as well as Italy this fall. Italy is happening no matter what so...

I thought you were already booked:confused::confused:

Cabins are filling up we could not get the Cat we wanted so have a GTY in B3

Lyn

We do have a cabin booked - just not entirely sure if we're going to end up going or not.

We also have a Baltic cruise booked for the summer and discussion in our house is maybe we should only go on one.

Markets go up = feel better = spend

Markets go down = feel poor = save

Ok I understand now

well enjoy the cruise you choose

Lyn

My translation: Oceania has a real obligation to those who've booked air through them (and even more, I guess, if they have booked a hotel stay as well).

But independent guests ARE independent guests. (I should make clear that WE are usually traveling independently.) I think it's great if the cruiseline steps up to help all their passengers in an emergency, but I would expect them to do more for those passengers who are paying for their services than for those of us who usually can handle things on our own.

We were on an NCL T/A when the ash problem arose and we were very lucky -- first, for once we WERE using their air, but more to the point -- we arrived in Venice on 4/24, two days after Venice Airport was opened. So we had no problem. But if we HAD had a problem, we just figured we'd stay on in Europe for a while ... it never even occurred to us to ask NCL for help!

People who were traveling on Renaissance when 9/11 happened -- well, that was a whole 'nother ball of wax!

I, of course, am delighted to hear that Oceania really stepped up to the plate for their passengers who were traveling at the height of the volcano problem ... but I would expect no less.

As Jan says, if you are someone who gets nervous when something untoward happens -- using the cruiseline's services is always safest.

Thanks Mura,

You explained what I was trying to say pefectly..I miss seeing you..when can we cruise together again? Regards to Howard!

Jancruz1

Jan,

I guess we'll have to put our heads together to find the perfect itinerary! Right now we're booked for Marina in September 2011 (Venice-Istanbul) and Alaska in June 2011 (Vancouver-Anchorage), although I suspect we won't do the Alaska cruise.

We miss seeing you, too!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but if you don't live in a gateway city, Oceania charges an additional $199 per passenger when you take their air. Therefore, when you are making your apples to apples comparisons you have to include that in the equation.

Marilyn

I'm sorry, too, Marilyn! We cancelled your cruise in favor of July's Norway cruise on Insignia (even though we don't have our PH yet and I doubt we will!) ... and when I saw that Marina is doing the same itinerary next year we figured maybe booking the same cruise three times (!) will do the trick.

i went to asia using my own air. saved about $300 per person. also did my own visas for less. going to s.a. this fall. decided to drive to and from miami. Got $300 dollars credit each. my husband changed his mind. now we are flying at over $400 each, paying for our own transfers, and going a day ahead [if you are delayed on their arrangements they have to fix it, on your arrangements, it's at your expense], paying for an overnight at a hotel, plus food costs. do your homework! also, get insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but if you don't live in a gateway city, Oceania charges an additional $199 per passenger when you take their air. Therefore, when you are making your apples to apples comparisons you have to include that in the equation.

Marilyn

Good point. So far (three Med cruises), Oceania's quote has been much more than booking on our own to and from Europe.

Archived