help needed on crowding on indy

Hi

We are not long returned from Explorer, and had a brilliant time. Although fully booked we very seldom felt any crowding issues. There seemed to be many areas where you had space to breath, the usual places like Windjammer, and main pool seemed to be the busiest.

On reading about Indy it seems many cruisers are complaining about crowding issues. Common sense seems to have gone out the window, whats wrong with finding a seat before collecting your food. Or going a bit later to eat.

Am I missing something here? is Indy really that bad?

Help what have I let myself in for?

We were on the Liberty (sister ship) last year and never felt crowded except the Windjammer on the first day (which has been the situation on every cruise I have ever been on).

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Enjoy your cruise.

I was on Indi during spring break so I don't think it's gets much more crowded than that and I eat at peak hours - my stomach is just trained to eat at 8, 12, 6 (well you get it). Anyway, I never had a hard time finding a place to sit and eat at WJ. Even on the first day when I got on it was crowded but not that hard to find a seat. We did My Time a few days and without reservation just walked up and was seated immediately. Have a great cruise!

We too have been on the INDY (our favorite) a few times..Just Mar '10 during spring break the ship even though it was full did not feel overcrowded..The only place that did was the DL every evening :rolleyes: (but don't get me started..that was discussed on another thread..LOL LOL ) You will love the INDY..Enjoy !!!

The only place that was really crowded was the windjammer at the 12-1pm time, other then that crowds seemed similar to other ships. The pool gets pretty crowded but it is a big ship and there is plenty of other places and things for people to go to or do all the time so if you find a place that's crowded for you, just try something else..

Mike

We sailed Indy this past February. We never had any crowding issues except maybe the last morning eating breakfast in the Windjammer before departing the ship.

The entire week went very smoothly just as we have experienced on our Voyager class sailings. And we sailed with a full ship.

Since you've been on Explorer, I think you've gotten a "taste" of the crowds. The WJ can be really busy for breakfast on port days and the pool is crowded on sea days. Likewise, the promenade can be jammed when they do parades. We've sailed on both Adventure of the Seas (same class as Explorer) and on Independence and really didn't notice any difference in terms of feeling crowded.

Should also note we were on IOS in February (popular school vacation week) and the ship was completely sold out (if i recall, something like 4035 passengers).

At peak times the WJ can be crowded, but we have always found seats pretty easily.

At lunchtime, we avail ourselves of the spectacular lunches in the Dining Room. Just a pity it is closed on port days.

The Theatre can be a problem - but you just need to get there earlier than usual.

At peak times the WJ can be crowded, but we have always found seats pretty easily.

At lunchtime, we avail ourselves of the spectacular lunches in the Dining Room. Just a pity it is closed on port days.

The Theatre can be a problem - but you just need to get there earlier than usual.

Agree about the theatre. You really do need to get there early for a seat if there's a group of you who want to sit together. The only time I felt crowded to be honest was on the Royal Promenade after formal night with Captains Party.... but it was such fun looking at the glamorous people in their kilts and finery that it didn't bother me too much!

Agree about the theatre. You really do need to get there early for a seat if there's a group of you who want to sit together.

We are on the first sitting. Is the theatre quieter for the first sitting people or second?

My second question is the time of the shows. Do both sittings watch shows after dinner or does the late sitting for MDR watch the show first?

This is only second hand information- two lots of friends have recently come back from two different Independence cruises- one on the last cruise and one the cruise before and they both reported they loved the ship and the cruise but the one thing that bothered them were the crowds- finding a seat in the Windjammer and finding a seat in a bar after late dinner. One of my friends had been two years ago on Independence and noticed the difference when they went the week before last. It didn't spoil their cruise as they had a lovely time but it was strange they both remarked on it.

We are on the first sitting. Is the theatre quieter for the first sitting people or second?

My second question is the time of the shows. Do both sittings watch shows after dinner or does the late sitting for MDR watch the show first?

There's a show whilst first sitting is dining and then another during second sitting. It's a stunning theatre.

Thanks for all your reply's as I said earlier just some basic common sense, go early to the theatre we usually went 30 minutes early and had our pick of seats.

We never went straight to the windjammer as soon as it opened and when we did go one of us found a seat while the others went for food.

We used the Solarium seating as it was comfier and also quieter, but having said that we never had a problem finding seats at the main pool if needed.

As stated above during Parades and Captains Party yes the Promenade was busy but this just added to the fun.

To answer the question about which performence would be busiest all I can say is the 9pm show was always full.

Thinking back the only negative I can come up with was quieing to get into the Ice Show this was awful, but it did not detract from my enjoyment.

I am sure bearing this in mind Indy will be just fine.

Sandian

I think the weather has some inpact on where people spend their time which may explain the differing opinions re crowds. The weather in Europe (especially Northern Europe) in Spring/early Summer (and not forgetting Winter) is very different from the Caribbean (:( sadly!) I can guarantee that if it is cold outside then be prepared for crowds inside, we sailed on a full ship on Independence in May last year and the Windjammer was very crowded - especially at breakfast and lunch times and it was not a pleasant experience. However, if you can brave the pool are there will be no chair hoggers :)

As far as the shows go - both shows on our sailing were after dinner. The first show was around 8-30 - 9pm and the second one was around 10-30 -11pm.

Yet another reason I stick with the Radiance Class ships!

Yeah, there is nothing quite like that bottleneck of people shuffling out of the theatre after a show trying squeeze through the shopping area on a Radiance class ship. Or, for that matter, people trying to get into a pool which is much too small for the number of people those ships carry.

I've had the exact opposite experience on both Independence and Freedom. The Freedom class have more public space per passenger. So we never felt crowded. We've felt crowded on other ships, but never on Indy or Freedom.

And I have to get a table while trying to wrangle two little kids. If I don't have a problem finding a table, then no one should. ;)

Hi

We are not long returned from Explorer, and had a brilliant time. Although fully booked we very seldom felt any crowding issues. There seemed to be many areas where you had space to breath, the usual places like Windjammer, and main pool seemed to be the busiest.

On reading about Indy it seems many cruisers are complaining about crowding issues. Common sense seems to have gone out the window, whats wrong with finding a seat before collecting your food. Or going a bit later to eat.

Am I missing something here? is Indy really that bad?

Help what have I let myself in for?

I found the Freedom Class ships to be far more crowded than Voyager class. There is still room to find places to walk around and be alone. But public venues (70s party, any major event on the Promenade) are shoulder to shoulder and you will be constantly shoved and bumped into by people who still want to use the area to get from one end of the ship to the other, despite the crowds. The other issue is elevators. Freedom carries way more people than Voyager, with the same number of elevators. Freedom also draws a lot of families with young children because of the H2O Zone and FlowRider. Kids think the elevators are just another fun attraction and will ride them up and down, stopping at every floor. Our cabin was on Deck 2, so the elevators were pretty essential to get up to the Windjammer or pool. It was nearly always a long wait, followed by ridiculously crowded lifts which stopped at every deck.

We had a great cruise on Freedom, but I think I'll stick to Radiance and Voyager class ships from now on. The extras on the Freedom class just don't make up for the irritation factor.

Yeah, there is nothing quite like that bottleneck of people shuffling out of the theatre after a show trying squeeze through the shopping area on a Radiance class ship. Or, for that matter, people trying to get into a pool which is much too small for the number of people those ships carry.

Not on any Radiance class ship I have ever been on! I will take a full ship of 2100 pax over 3500+ or that awful monstrosity Oasis (6500+) any day! It also helps that there are not 2000 children on board.

Archived