Message in a bottle

Never seen a thread about this and was just wondering.

Those on a cruise ever had a feeing to launch your own message

in a bottle. We let one go 10 years ago and never heard from it

again.

I let several bottles with notes go in an upstate NY river in the 80's when I was a young lad. One recently surfaced after 25 years down river in PA. A 10 year old found it. We were featured on his local news and in the newspaper in upstate NY. I even got to speak to him on the phone. I have been in FL for 18 years, and forgot all about them.

Not exactly leaving it in the ocean off a ship, but a message in a bottle all the same.

My thinking was with a cruise ship being out in the open ocean chances are

they would travel more. With one expection, if I dropped one next to BP,s doomed oil rid it would just end up in MS. LA. marsh lands never to be seen again. P:(

Did it back on October of 2001 in the middle of Atlantic during a western TA crossing.

Just before Christmas of 2007, I received a letter from a woman in Arizona, She and her husband were vacationing in Bahamas and she found the bottle on the beach. The note inside the Absolut bottle was hardly readable but she managed to read the address. That was wild. I completely forgot about it.

Last January I did the same during our Gulf of Mexico cruise. Threw a bottle in the middle of the gulf. Have not heard anything yet....

Did it back on October of 2001 in the middle of Atlantic during a western TA crossing.

Just before Christmas of 2007, I received a letter from a woman in Arizona, She and her husband were vacationing in Bahamas and she found the bottle on the beach. The note inside the Absolut bottle was hardly readable but she managed to read the address. That was wild. I completely forgot about it.

Last January I did the same during our Gulf of Mexico cruise. Threw a bottle in the middle of the gulf. Have not heard anything yet....

Oh....see that is too cool.

All the years and have it come back. Take your remaining

wine bottle back to your cabin, cork included, write a note and give it

a toss. Maybe your off spring will get a call after your gone.

DH and I tossed one out onto the surf in Lahaina from the restaurant that juts out over the ocean Oct 2008. Haven't heard from anyone but it's still cool to think someone might have found it and emailed us.

What happens if the cork comes off and an animal gets thier nose or somthing stuck in it and drown. Sadly this happens with the rings off sixpack's of soda and beer cans that are in the rings. It also happens at times with bottles. I love the idea of the concept of the message in the bottle as much as anyone. But I worry about the sea creatures who might find it. Sorry if this is makes me a Adri Downer.

Adri :)

I contributed to a similar thread a while back and the pollution patrol was all over me like white on rice. Probably some of the same folks who flick their cig out the window at a traffic light. Even when I stated that the finder properly disposed of the container at a recycle center... did not make a difference:D! So let's see what happens here. My daughter tossed a bottle from a ship, (can't say the name because the statute of limitations may not have run out as yet;)) deep in the Gulf of Mexico. About 5 years later she received a letter from the finder who was somewhere in Florida. Although we did not live in FL at the time, she wrote back and thanked him. Sorry nothing else to report, no fairytale ending with a prince in shinning armor etc.

Also, I'm happy to report that no marine wild life or Al Gore's carbon footprint were impacted in any way by this experiment in slow speed communication.

What happens if the cork comes off and an animal gets thier nose or somthing stuck in it and drown. Sadly this happens with the rings off sixpack's of soda and beer cans that are in the rings. It also happens at times with bottles. I love the idea of the concept of the message in the bottle as much as anyone. But I worry about the sea creatures who might find it. Sorry if this is makes me a Adri Downer.

Adri :)

Use a screw top not cork.;)

We did it back in the 70's with our family, and we did get a couple of responses, my dad is a sailer. It is amazing sometime how far they will travel, yes I am sure many of them get broken by ships or just sink in the end.

Have a great day

Brian J

This topic comes around every 3 or 4 months. It starts out fun with stories of people getting replies from the ones who found the bottle, or never being heard of again. But then the Algore crazies come out and start preaching to everyone about saving the environment & polluting the ocean. After a few hours of going back & forth, it gets deleted. I believe the lifespan of this thread is around lunchtime...........

This topic comes around every 3 or 4 months. It starts out fun with stories of people getting replies from the ones who found the bottle, or never being heard of again. But then the Algore crazies come out and start preaching to everyone about saving the environment & polluting the ocean. After a few hours of going back & forth, it gets deleted. I believe the lifespan of this thread is around lunchtime...........

Hmmmm. Looks like it's supper time. Thread still here.

It was the very early 80's on my first cruise. My wife and I met some great people and on the last night we all sat on deck drinking scotch until 5am, finished the bottle, put in a note and threw it overboard. Never heard about it again, never got a responce. But, I also never forgot the experience or that night. It's now almost 30 years later and I still enbrace that night and experience.

Never seen a thread about this and was just wondering.

Those on a cruise ever had a feeing to launch your own message

in a bottle. We let one go 10 years ago and never heard from it

again.

Messages in a bottle have been replaced with text messaging.

From the RCI Code of Conduct:

Royal Caribbean International’s Save the Waves Program and Trash/Waste Disposal

Royal Caribbean maintains a Save the Waves Program that focuses on three key principles: Reducing the creation or generation of waste materials; recycling as much as possible; and ensuring proper disposal of remaining waste. Trash should be properly disposed of in containers provided throughout the ship or in wastebaskets provided in each stateroom. Trash or other foreign objects should never be flushed down a toilet and guests are not permitted to discard any item overboard.

Royal Caribbean maintains a Save the Waves Program that focuses on three key principles: Reducing the creation or generation of waste materials; recycling as much as possible; and ensuring proper disposal of remaining waste. Trash should be properly disposed of in containers provided throughout the ship or in wastebaskets provided in each stateroom. Trash or other foreign objects should never be flushed down a toilet and guests are not permitted to discard any item overboard.

There might be some truth in matj2000’s post…Here we go!!! Someone just had to start posting the rules for RCCL. Jeezzz another party pooper on this board, hope there is not as many on board the ship one.:D

Aside from the prohibitions about ANYTHING going overboard there is a fair chance that a bottle would end up in one of the "Trash Islands". Great floating heaps of garbage in the middle of the oceans where the currents deposit stuff in what are known as oceanic gyres. Might not have been as much of an issue ages ago with less ocean traffic and garbage dumping but once the stuff starts to stick together it's hard for storms to bust it apart. The trash islands are probably full of thousands of message bottles.

http://geography.about.com/od/globalproblemsandissues/a/trashislands.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Garbage_Patch

Never a bottle on a ship, but once my DH found a balloon in the woods in rural Maine that a child in a 4th grade class in Ohio sent up in the air to see if anyone would find them and respond. Jan

Again, not a cruise ship but when I was in high school (a few years um decades ago) for a fundraiser a group I was in sold balloons. The purchasers name was attached to the balloon along with instructions for whoever found it to return to a specific address. As part of our homecoming football game we launched a few hundred balloons from a little field in central NJ. We did end up getting about 10 responses, 9 of which were from NJ. Low and behold we got back 1 response from FRANCE :eek:. I think somebody got it in NJ and took it back with them :D. Anyway the purchaser of that balloon got a nice prize.

To everyone else, if all were to do this yes we might have an environmental issue, but the few that actually do it, give it a break, can't we have some fun on this board :rolleyes:.

I would argue that sending a message to an unknown person in an unknown location at an unknown date in the future is in no way similar to "discarding" an item.

Theron

Archived