Hotel in Rome

labeachcomber

I've done a search and read through all the threads on hotels in Rome. There are so many options, we're having trouble choosing but I think have narrowed it down to staying near the Pantheon or near the Spanish Steps.

Leaning towards the Pantheon because it seems closer to all the major attractions and we could easily walk, but the Spanish Steps has the Metro. Any thoughts on either area?

I know I won't be much help seeing as I have never been; however, I did a TON of research to find my hotel. Everyone says that Rome is a walkable city. So if you stay near the Spanish steps, you'll be able to walk to the Pantheon and vice versa. Its more up to you and where you would rather be.

We've already figured out our plan...take the subway to the Colosseum in the morning and then walk through the Panthenon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc on the way back. It will be a long day!

I've done a search and read through all the threads on hotels in Rome. There are so many options, we're having trouble choosing but I think have narrowed it down to staying near the Pantheon or near the Spanish Steps.

Leaning towards the Pantheon because it seems closer to all the major attractions and we could easily walk, but the Spanish Steps has the Metro. Any thoughts on either area?

Spanish Steps is very expensive, Pantheon not so. Depends on how much you want to spend. Just remember you aren't going to get much for your money. They are both good central areas

Well I have stayed near the Spanish Steps (first trip) and near the Pantheon (second trip) We stayed at Hotel Mozart the first time. Nice hotel just a block down from the steps. The taxi stand is right there so convenient. We stayed at Albergo del Senato the second time. We could almost reach out and touch the Pantheon from our balcony !!! More $$.

So.....I would definately stay in the Pantheon/Piazza Navonna area first. We walked all over the place our last trip and this location is by far THE best for that.

Spanish Steps is very expensive, Pantheon not so. Depends on how much you want to spend. Just remember you aren't going to get much for your money. They are both good central areas

I'm not sure this is very accurate. There are more hotels and B&Bs to choose from in the Spanish steps are -- ranging from less expensive to very expensive.

There just aren't as many hotel choices around the Pantheon, and because the area is in such high demand (for good reason), the prices tend to be pretty high -- especially in prime tourist season.

I really believe that B&Bs are the way to go. I have used them frequently and find them to be comfortable, convenient, and less expensive than hotels. Venere.com has an excellent list which is linked to TripAdvisor for reviews.

If you do decide to go with a B&B, make sure you get very precise directions to the property. The only "sign" they will sport will be on the doorbell console at the front door and the street addresses don't always run sequentially. (I learned that the hard way).:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Well I have stayed near the Spanish Steps (first trip) and near the Pantheon (second trip) We stayed at Hotel Mozart the first time. Nice hotel just a block down from the steps. The taxi stand is right there so convenient. We stayed at Albergo del Senato the second time. We could almost reach out and touch the Pantheon from our balcony !!! More $$.

Okay - totally silly question here but my DH can't seem to get away from turning on a TV. We are staying at the Albergo del Senato for 3 days in October and he was mentioning we might want to take our DVD player so we had something to watch in English. So, my question is, do they have any channels with English TV and/or movies. I don't plan on watching much but I would like to watch a little to help me go to sleep at night.

Okay - totally silly question here but my DH can't seem to get away from turning on a TV. We are staying at the Albergo del Senato for 3 days in October and he was mentioning we might want to take our DVD player so we had something to watch in English. So, my question is, do they have any channels with English TV and/or movies. I don't plan on watching much but I would like to watch a little to help me go to sleep at night.

I had to chuckle at this post..... sorry. But my dh is the same way..... but to be honest we were sooo pooped after walking non-stop day and night we didnt turn it on but once (in the morning for some news) and yes it was an English channel (perhaps BBC ?) and I think there were others.

My favorite part of staying at the del Senato was the huge doors that open on the windows (we had a balcony on our pre-cruise stay room 204 is amazing !!!! - but only a huge window on our post cruise stay. We would open these at night and listen to the piazza wind down and finally go completely silent at night. Then to open them early (can't help it - when I am on vacation I just wake up early :confused:) and watch the piazza come alive again. Delivery people, others walking to work, the shop keepers opening up, and then the first early-bird tourists...... loved it.

Part of our "vacation experience" is leaving the computer etc. at home. I do allow him his Blackberry - but only because the office would totally fall apart if they couldnt contact them once a day..... and we do buy a chunk of time on the internet onboard the ship....keep in touch with kids etc.

BBC News has been on the cable system at every hotel I've stayed at in Rome over the past decade. However, little else is in English, so I wouldn't count on finding something. You will, however, find lots of OLD American TV series, dubbed into Italian. Maybe someday someone will explain to me why they bothered to dub "Walker, Texas Ranger", as though it was great art.

The Italians take great pride in their ability to dub, so you will rarely find an English language soundtrack with subtitles.

:D My initial response to him was - ummm, why do you need TV. We're going to be out and about all day touing Italy. Then when we get back to the hotel we'll be doing dinner. He says, yes, but you like to stay up late and I'll be asleep hours before you. My response - so, what, you're going to make me wander the streets of Rome at night alone. So, he says, trying to save face and appear to be a loving and concerned husband..... but honey, I know how you like to watch TV just before you go to bed :rolleyes: so I'm just thinking of you.

I did promise I'd ask - I fear with this answer he'll say bring the DVD player or the computer .... which I'm trying to leave at home.

My favorite part of staying at the del Senato was the huge doors that open on the windows (we had a balcony on our pre-cruise stay room 204 is amazing !!!! - but only a huge window on our post cruise stay. We would open these at night and listen to the piazza wind down and finally go completely silent at night. Then to open them early (can't help it - when I am on vacation I just wake up early :confused:) and watch the piazza come alive again. Delivery people, others walking to work, the shop keepers opening up, and then the first early-bird tourists...... loved it.

Texancruzer - your description above sounds fabulous! We are currently shopping around for hotels in October, and so far had settled on Residenza Cellini, but I think I will check out the del Senato before we book. Do you happen to remember what category of room 204 was?

Thanks in advance. :)

Texancruzer - your description above sounds fabulous! We are currently shopping around for hotels in October' date=' and so far had settled on Residenza Cellini, but I think I will check out the del Senato before we book. Do you happen to remember what category of room 204 was?

Thanks in advance. :)[/quote']

I'm not Texancruzer, but I am from Texas, if that counts!:D Room 204 is a Superior Double. They won't guarantee you a certain room but they will make note that you requested it. I know--that's exactly what I did based on Texancruzer's recommendations that I read about way last fall. (My thanks!)

I'm not Texancruzer, but I am from Texas, if that counts!:D Room 204 is a Superior Double. They won't guarantee you a certain room but they will make note that you requested it. I know--that's exactly what I did based on Texancruzer's recommendations that I read about way last fall. (My thanks!)

Too funny! :D

Thank you so much. I will definitely look into it. Sounds like this is the hotel to book!

beckntom: Did you get room 204 ? Hope so. I have a picture of the front of the hotel with the only balcony on the FRONT but can't get it to upload here. That is room 204. There are other rooms with terraces on the top - but waaaay more $$$. We did not ask for this room but funny story. We had plane delays and arrived in Rome at 4:30 pm instead of 7:45 am thus cheating me out of a whole day in Rome...... I was not a happy camper. When I saw that balcony it all went away !!!!

Too funny! :D

Thank you so much. I will definitely look into it. Sounds like this is the hotel to book!

del Senato is the way to go !!!!!

beckntom: Did you get room 204 ? Hope so. I have a picture of the front of the hotel with the only balcony on the FRONT but can't get it to upload here. That is room 204.<snip>

Hi, Texancruzer. We haven't been there yet! Our cruise is in September, so I've been in anticipation mode all this time.:rolleyes: We really did book based originally on your recommendation and have heard nothing but good about the hotel ever since. I've seen those pictures of the front of the hotel and can spot 204's balcony! I hope we are lucky enough to get it but will be happy with whatever they give us. At one time, I had decided that the hotel just couldn't be worth the money and booked elsewhere. I kept the Del Senato booking, though, and finally decided, all things considered, it *is* worth it so have dropped my other booking. I'm sure we won't be disappointed. Thanks again.

Just returned last month from Rome and spent three days in Del Senato. Second visit after staying there in 2005. We got a corner room, 307, which was on the corner closest to the Pantheon, with windows on two sides. I stood at the windows for what seemed like hours just watching the locals and the tourists pass by below. (It seemed like hours when I see how many pictures I took--morning views, evening views, midday views--you get the picture) When we first checked in we were given a room with no view--no good! I complained and pouted and they moved us the next day while we were on a tour. The room was worth every penny we paid for it. Breakfast was good and staff were helpful and pleasant. Enjoyed the rooftop terrace--an even better view of the city. Room was nice, clean, comfortable--I would stay there again for sure.

Enjoy your visit. Oh, BBC was on the TV (sometimes tricky to work--ask the bellman how to work the remote)--while we were there, the only thing on was the election crisis in London--round the clock reports of Gordon Brown et al. It helped me go to sleep.

Enjoy your visit. Oh, BBC was on the TV (sometimes tricky to work--ask the bellman how to work the remote)--while we were there, the only thing on was the election crisis in London--round the clock reports of Gordon Brown et al. It helped me go to sleep.

Tongue in cheek.......but pretty much ANYTHING on BBC will help you go to sleep :cool:

OMG! I thought I was the only one who has a DH who can't live without TV. We were in this beautiful hotel in Positano and my husband is lying on the bed watching an Italian game show not understanding a word they were saying but he thought he could figure it out! Yes, there are a couple of channels in English but it's limited. So, when you cruise do you have to make sure the TV has on-demand movies, ESPN, etc. too?:rolleyes:

Just returned last month from Rome and spent three days in Del Senato. Second visit after staying there in 2005. We got a corner room, 307, which was on the corner closest to the Pantheon, with windows on two sides. I stood at the windows for what seemed like hours just watching the locals and the tourists pass by below. (It seemed like hours when I see how many pictures I took--morning views, evening views, midday views--you get the picture) When we first checked in we were given a room with no view--no good! I complained and pouted and they moved us the next day while we were on a tour. The room was worth every penny we paid for it. Breakfast was good and staff were helpful and pleasant. Enjoyed the rooftop terrace--an even better view of the city. Room was nice, clean, comfortable--I would stay there again for sure.

Is the Del Senato the same hotel as Albergo Del Senato? We have never been to Rome so don't really know the Hotels. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Betty

OMG! I thought I was the only one who has a DH who can't live without TV. We were in this beautiful hotel in Positano and my husband is lying on the bed watching an Italian game show not understanding a word they were saying but he thought he could figure it out! Yes, there are a couple of channels in English but it's limited. So, when you cruise do you have to make sure the TV has on-demand movies, ESPN, etc. too?:rolleyes:

That is too funny NEN & Timetogoagain!! :D I can already hear my husband saying, "There's nothing on TV!" - doesn't matter if we're in the US with our 300 channels or touring Europe. :rolleyes:

I think it's a great opportunity to learn a new language! ;) My brain will probably hurt from only catching about every 5th word though. :cool:

Archived