Your #1 favorite thing about Serenade of the Seas

St. Martin, we did the Jeep 4x4, save your money on this one it was expensive and you never go off the pavement. We were disappointed

St. Kitts, the train ride around the island was fantastic

Dominica, The Emerald Pool and water was nice but the tubing was also a hit if the water in the river is good

St Lucia, the volcano tour was awesome but smelly. Another thing to do is the mineral baths, that was sooo soothing.

Barbados, The island tour was nice but not much to see. The nature centre was really nice. Wild monkeys and other animals to interact with, they are not in cages, you can feed them.

Grenada, we hired a taxi to bring us around the island, much cheaper than the excursion and he will stop at the spice plantation and the rum factory if you want him to. This port was my 2nd favourite island of all the ones I have been to, right behind Cuba.:D

thanks for the information!

I'm looking forward to exploring the ship too!

Sea side Cafe- What is it like? Hours? Worth while eating there?

Chops Grill- favorite dish?

Radiance is our favorite class of ship for the design and ambiance. We had sailed Brilliance twice before going on Serenade and Serenade is our all time favorite. The staff on Serenade was superior. We fell in love with the staff at Chops and ate there 3 times during our 2 week Alaska cruise. We also visited Portofino but preferred Chops. The Seaview Cafe is on Deck 12 aft on the starboard side. The menu is different on Brilliance because she is run by the U.K. division of RCCL. Brilliance has custom pizza and pasta along with Pannini sandwiches instead of the Reubens, burgers, onion rings, etc that you find on Serenade. The Windjammer manager on Serenade is the best in the fleet and the Radiance class in general has the best designed WJ.

One of my favorite things about the design of this class ship is Deck 6 with the Schooner Bar, Portofino, Chops, and the Colony Club all incorporated into one flowing area.

The Solarium is beautiful and the crepes in the afternoon were delicious when we had them on Brilliance. The lack of kids on this class I always attributed to our cruises being long itineraries and more expensive.[14 day Alaska, 12 day Med, 11day Panama Canal]

We have 3 future cruises booked on Radiance and Serenade and will book one on Jewel in 2011-2012 when she is in Tampa.

thanks for the information!

I'm looking forward to exploring the ship too!

Sea side Cafe- What is it like? Hours? Worth while eating there?

Chops Grill- favorite dish?

The Seaview is open afternoons and late evenings but it varies between port and Sea days. When you enter there is a counter to order your food and drinks. There are about 10 tables inside and a veranda seating area outside. They give you a number when you order and deliver your food[all made to order] hot and fresh to your table. When we were on Brilliance for the Panama Canal we called up and ordered pizza and pasta to eat at halftime of the Superbowl. We were the envy of everyone in the Schooner Bar. On the Alaska cruise we would go there late in the afternoon for a snack and get a fresh hot burger and onion rings or a reuben instead of what was offered in the WJ.

It is the highlight of snack eating aboard!!

We also enjoyed the Seaview Cafe. Reubens were wonderful as was the fruit/cottage cheese plate. The soup of the day was usually the soup in the Windjammer (the Thai chicken was great). However, the fish and chips were simply frozen Mrs Paul's fish sticks heated up. And the ship doesn't stock malt vinegar (only balsalmic for your so-called fish and chips- very disappointing!).

Hours do vary- but normally this is one of the few places for a very late night snack. Plus the views from the tables outside are wonderful.

The Seaview is open afternoons and late evenings but it varies between port and Sea days. When you enter there is a counter to order your food and drinks. There are about 10 tables inside and a veranda seating area outside. They give you a number when you order and deliver your food[all made to order] hot and fresh to your table. When we were on Brilliance for the Panama Canal we called up and ordered pizza and pasta to eat at halftime of the Superbowl. We were the envy of everyone in the Schooner Bar. On the Alaska cruise we would go there late in the afternoon for a snack and get a fresh hot burger and onion rings or a reuben instead of what was offered in the WJ.

It is the highlight of snack eating aboard!!

Thank you!! I plan on making a stop, or two, or three.... when we are on board!

Ok, Is the Sea view above the Wind Jammer? what is the easiest way to get up there?

We just booked our Holiday crusie with the Serenade... We will be doing the following: St. Martin, St. Kitts, Antigua, Dominica, St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Any suggestions on things to do?

Any information/comments on what you liked recommend would be great! thanks!!!

Gabrielle

DW and I did a B2B in January. We enjoy doing things which are not directly offered by the ship to mix in with the ship excursions.

Among some of them were:

St. Maartin - We took a taxi ($4 p/p each way, get at end of pier taxi stand, clearly marked) to Divi Beach Little Bay Resort which is just on the other side of Great Bay where the ship pulls in. It has lovely grounds. All beaches in St. Maartin are public free of charge so they must give you access across their grounds to the beach. You can rent umbrella and chairs there. Food shack and bar available at the beach. Nice wide sand, gentle surf, quiet. Nice alternative if Orient Beach bodily displays not your thing.

St. Kitts - Take an island tour with Thenford Grey. You can get info on his web site (Google him). Nice all day tour in air conditioned van. Very knowledgable and thoughtful man. Bargain at $48 p/p.

Domenica - Must take some kind of waterfall tour. The ship offers a few. Great natural beauty. Not known for great beaches, black volcanic sand gritty and gets Hot!

St. Lucia - Have to echo other posters and take the Cosol tour with Neroiu (Cosol) Francis. Among other things takes you on motor launch ride around Pitons to Jalousie Beach (featured in this year's The Bachelor (Jake and Vienna)).

Barbados - Best tip. The Barbados Hilton is about 20 minutes from the ship, you can see it on a peninsula south of the ship. $15 each way taxi. Call ahead when you get in to make sure they are selling day passes that day, usually no problem. For $25 p/p you get free reign of all the pools and the beachfront. Chairs and umbrellas are included, if you raise a flag on your chair they will come and take your drink order (not cheap but still nice!). Beachfront is nothing short of spectacular - smooth white sand, great active surf with flat bottom so you can wade in chest high with absolutely no problem and enjoy riding the waves. Beach is protected on two sides by rock jetties. Food and drink available. Highly recommend. Can not go wrong.

Grenada - one ship tour takes you to see the fort and then over to a great beach which has a great view of the ship.

I am sure you will have the trip of a lifetime.

DW and I did a B2B in January. We enjoy doing things which are not directly offered by the ship to mix in with the ship excursions.

Among some of them were:

St. Maartin - We took a taxi ($4 p/p each way, get at end of pier taxi stand, clearly marked) to Divi Beach Little Bay Resort which is just on the other side of Great Bay where the ship pulls in. It has lovely grounds. All beaches in St. Maartin are public free of charge so they must give you access across their grounds to the beach. You can rent umbrella and chairs there. Food shack and bar available at the beach. Nice wide sand, gentle surf, quiet. Nice alternative if Orient Beach bodily displays not your thing.

St. Kitts - Take an island tour with Thenford Grey. You can get info on his web site (Google him). Nice all day tour in air conditioned van. Very knowledgable and thoughtful man. Bargain at $48 p/p.

Domenica - Must take some kind of waterfall tour. The ship offers a few. Great natural beauty. Not known for great beaches, black volcanic sand gritty and gets Hot!

St. Lucia - Have to echo other posters and take the Cosol tour with Neroiu (Cosol) Francis. Among other things takes you on motor launch ride around Pitons to Jalousie Beach (featured in this year's The Bachelor (Jake and Vienna)).

Barbados - Best tip. The Barbados Hilton is about 20 minutes from the ship, you can see it on a peninsula south of the ship. $15 each way taxi. Call ahead when you get in to make sure they are selling day passes that day, usually no problem. For $25 p/p you get free reign of all the pools and the beachfront. Chairs and umbrellas are included, if you raise a flag on your chair they will come and take your drink order (not cheap but still nice!). Beachfront is nothing short of spectacular - smooth white sand, great active surf with flat bottom so you can wade in chest high with absolutely no problem and enjoy riding the waves. Beach is protected on two sides by rock jetties. Food and drink available. Highly recommend. Can not go wrong.

Grenada - one ship tour takes you to see the fort and then over to a great beach which has a great view of the ship.

I am sure you will have the trip of a lifetime.

You are a Prince! thanks for the great ideas!!! I am putting your suggestions it down on my list of things to look up as I try to make a decision. NOt a bad thing to do!! thanks again!

Gabrielle

Love all the glass everywhere!

The crew and staff were the best ever after 13 cruises.

The windjammer is great.

The seaview cafe is wonderful along with the views.

It is a relaxing cruise even with all the ports. We did this cruise last year and are doing it again Sept 5th. :D

Priusprof

I see you are out of tampa--we have a cruising on the serenade next april, when you fly to san juan do you leave out of tampa or do you drive to orlando and fly out on their non stops flights? I see american has one out of tampa but coming home you have to make a change in miami. thanks for any information

I thought the Solarium on Radiance had a retractable roof. Is that not the case? But I can imagine on many days on this route it being very hot and this being a great place.
I was just wondering if an enclosed Solarium wouldn't be HOT. Would like to hear more about this!

How does the Seaview Cafe compare to the Promenade Cafe on some of the larger ships?

I was just wondering if an enclosed Solarium wouldn't be HOT. Would like to hear more about this!

How does the Seaview Cafe compare to the Promenade Cafe on some of the larger ships?

The Seaview has an entirely different menu from the Promenade - fish and chips, reuben sandwich, chicken fingers, milk shakes, burgers, etc. The view can't be beat - I much prefer seaview being outdoors than Promenade inside.

The Dh misses "the mall" in the center of the ship but I LOVE the views on the radiance class ships. There are no parades but I feel much more connected to the ocean. There are still places to people watch and they do the 70's night in the small atrium which is all 10 stories high. While I like the bigger ships too (haven't tried the Oasis yet) with these ships you remember you are on the deep blue sea with daytime views everywhere of the water.

We've been on the Jewel (10 nights), Brilliance (12 nights) and are looking forward to the Serenade this winter.

The solarium can be warm and feels a bit tropical with humidity. Fake birds sing but it generally is quiet and very relaxing. Since I can't be in the direct sun anymore I spend alot of time there. The eating area in the solarium is great for a really quick snack with wraps and sandwiches and cookies. There is also lemonaide and water there so you don't have to walk all the way back to the windjammer.

The seaview cafe has a set menu, you place your order and wait unlike the walk thru at the promenade cafe. However the food is more like a meal then a snack. My secret is that they have a great brownie that is not on the menu. Ask what they have for dessert at the seaview if it is not listed! (I made a daily afternoon trip there once I found this out!) They also have a side salad that you can take to go.

We also enjoyed the Seaview Cafe ...

Hours do vary- but normally this is one of the few places for a very late night snack. Plus the views from the tables outside are wonderful.

Seaview Cafe is on the Starboard side aft waaay up high. Very late one night or should I say very early one morning. DW says "I'm thirsty, would you please get me an iced tea?" Translation - "Do it or you're dead meat!!!"

Maybe I went the wrong way but I went thru the outdoor sports court and walked my way thru the netting, inching my way as close as I could to the plexiglass towards the inside of the ship away from the outside rail.

And I got to tell you, on a windy night when the ship is moving, it gets Preetty windy up there !!! and that iced tea better be darn good, because I was shaking when I got back to the cabin and it wasn't from the ice in the glass!!

And that's one advantage of the Promenade - it's indoors!!

Our waiter, Luke. He was great...had a great personality and made sure we were happy. Then there's all those windows all around the ship...made so you can always see outside. And I loved the blue bulls!

With all of these wonderful posts about the beautiful glass on this ship, I was wondering......does anyone have any pictures that can do it justice? Please show the rest of us who have future cruises on this marvelous vessel just exactly what you are talking about. I can't wait to see it in person, of course, but a nice glimpse right now would be terrific!

Who has the best pics? Come on, share......please:)

Thanks in advance!

with all of these wonderful posts about the beautiful glass on this ship' date=' i was wondering......does anyone have any pictures that can do it justice? Please show the rest of us who have future cruises on this marvelous vessel just exactly what you are talking about. I can't wait to see it in person, of course, but a nice glimpse right now would be terrific!

Who has the best pics? Come on, share......please:)

thanks in advance![/quote']

yes, please, please, please!!!:)

Archived