ms Veendam - Bermuda 2May2010

Embarkation -

Went smooth, and easy! Maybe because I got there at almost "Zero Hour" It was my fault ... had to get last-minute items, and found myself running behind schedule. But made it to Pier 90 at 3pm, and was on board by 3:15. Had a pleasant surprise dockside. The gent who checked me in informed me that I was upgraded from my Lanai cabin to a Spa cabin. More on that later.

Found my new "home" on Verandah Deck forward, and made it in time to grab a late lunch in the Lido.

(Lifeboat drill on an empty stomach? ... Not for this sailor! )

The drill seems a lot easier now, without bumping into millions of people on deck, all wrapped in bulky life vests. Now there's more room, and the crew member took attendance with ease.

Cabin -

As mentioned before, my new digs were at the top the ship ... literally.

Spa cabin 101; Category BQ, was reconfigured from the set of cabins once occupied by officers/staff on Verandah Deck FWD ... those who remember the old setup will know the bend at the forward deck on the starboard side. While on the port side, that same area housed former "C" cat cabins.

But on starboard, they removed the door marked CREW ONLY that was "round the bend", and relocated it a few doors up the passageway. It's a nice location, but right above the show lounge. Heard every rehearsal in the afternoon. :rolleyes: (Since I already knew what that nights performance was, didn't have to see it after dinner! :D Heard em loud and clear ... which will be discussed again in my noise pollution gripe.)

In the cabin, there are added "spa accoutrements", which consist of: yoga mats; a toy waterfall on the desk; plenty of bottles containing water from unknown sources; same amount of bottles with expensive Gatorade imposters; 2 bottles of Voss artesian well water (in what looks like those old mailroom tubes);

a wooden bath pallet that I almost broke my toe on; organic cotton robes and slippers; and a special Spa breakfast menu, in place of the usual room service door card.

Oh, and the turndown chocolates were pretty weird ... choco wafers with added "ingredients" like special berries, or probably chemicals to help induce sleep, drink KoolAid, badger the officers, make yourself hyper and annoying to fellow passengers, etc.

But my cabin steward was more than happy to substitute a REAL breakfast menu after my lamenting that I prefer the whole egg in my omelets, as opposed to just whites. And both stewards were absolute gems!

Always cheerful, and checking up on me to see if I was comfortable.

The veranda was one of those compact jobs, with 2 chairs, and a table. And the view was spectacular!

Since it was the very 1st cabin of that particular class, I had a bridge-eye view of the bow, and even waved at times to the officers on watch. 101 is almost under the bridge wing, so I always had company outdoors, whether I wanted to, or not. :cool:

They did a nice job in the refurbishment. Neutral colours; bathroom was redone in granite ... felt like a room in a Hilton than on a ship.

I loved the cabin, but the location is another story. If it weren't for the noise coming from below, I'd do it again. Oh yea ... And the door frame is kinda rickety ... you have to pull the door shut in order for it to close. Then it creates a loud, clangy bang. But I developed a few skills in taking care of that without disturbing my neighbours.

But I got used to everything, and felt at home after 1 day. As I settled in on the first night, and plopped down on that big comfy HAL bed, I was in dreamland in no time. Welterusten, indeed!

Food -

I have to admit, the quality and variety has improved since my last HAL sailing, on Eurodam Aug 2008.

All choices, no matter where on the ship, were done very well! Dinner was always a pleasure, thanks to my waiter, Chris and his assistant. Some of the desserts needed help, tho. (Not enough fudge sauce on the fallen chocolate cake ... :eek: )

Lido had excellent choices for lunch. The chicken curry dish became an instant favourite of mine! Of course ... the burgers, tacos, etc. where abundant, and always available and tasty whenever someone wanted seconds.

I even sat through the MCD. :eek:

Ok, "tolerate" describes it more. ;)

But I really enjoyed the dinner, even if the "acts" were a bit distracting. Will I partake in it again, who knows. I'll go with the flow the next time.

Coming up next, Bermuda and the ship itself.

Thank you! Thank You! Our first HAL cruise ever is coming up Sept 5 on Veendam. We're really looking forward to it and very eager to learn from past cruisers like yourself.

Happily looking forward to the next installment.

And I totally understand where you are coming from with the show lounge. We just got off my Mom and Dad's 50th Wedding Anniversary cruise on NCL in the Baltics. Since it was such a special occasion, we splurged on suites. Ship was changed after we booked and we had to switch rooms. Deck 9 only had one suite available so we had to go with 8. You guessed it........right above the lounge.............both of them. And my Mom and I would definitely agree with your description. I did sometimes wish that they didn't rehearse at full volume several times during the cruise. :)

This was my 10th time to the island, and I never get tired of seeing that beautiful place!

The morning of 4 May, I was up early to see the approach to St George's. Through the darkness, I could make out the shoreline with a few lights scattered here and there. And the beam of St David's lighthouse was indicating that Veendam had arrived at her destination.

After admiring the sunrise, the pilot was hopping aboard our ship, and the sail to Hamilton began.

It was pretty windy, so I knew that we would be skipping St George's. (The credit of a $10 port tax to my on board account that night was a dead giveaway as well. :rolleyes: )

After a delightful trip along the coast, we began our progression into the Great Sound, passing 2 ships berthed at Royal Naval Dockyard (Kings Wharf); NCLs Norwegian Dawn, and Celebrity's Summit.

Upon nearing Two Rock Passage, bets were being made that Veendam wouldn't be able to squeeze thru.

(The wind had picked up a bit, but a few other craft didn't seem to have trouble on the choppy surface ... one of them was a high-speed ferry, outbound from Hamilton. So everything looked safe.)

Until ...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

CRUNCH!!!!

Oops ... make that 1.5 Rock Passage!

ONLY KIDDING! :-D

We sailed thru Two Rock Passage with ease, and in no time we were passing the Hamilton Princess hotel, a local landmark now run by Fairmont. (For those sailing in the first time, be sure to look for a few lucky residents in their waterfront yards, giving the ship a hearty welcome with flags and other banners. :) )

ONLY KIDDING! :-D

We sailed thru Two Rock Passage with ease, and in no time we were passing the Hamilton Princess hotel, a local landmark now run by Fairmont. (For those sailing in the first time, be sure to look for a few lucky residents in their waterfront yards, giving the ship a hearty welcome with flags and other banners. :) )

Wow! flashback! I stayed at that hotel for my honeymoon 19 years ago...

It was still run by Princess at that time (back when wheels were square and dinosaurs roamed the earth1:cool:)

Wow! flashback! I stayed at that hotel for my honeymoon 19 years ago...

It was still run by Princess at that time (back when wheels were square and dinosaurs roamed the earth1:cool:)

It's still a nice place ... very posh.

When you're in town, take a walk, and check out the property.

You'll still be impressed. :)

By 9am, Veendam was docked alongside Front St at Number 6 Dock; a beautiful pink shed constructed of the local coral used for building. This is the only passenger ship berth left in Hamilton, as the other structure, Number 1 Dock, was demolished a few years ago to make room for, what else ... a car park. :rolleyes:

A necessary evil, I guess ... the town needed space to accommodate the growing ferry trade at the adjacent Albouys Point. But I'll share my thoughts on the late Terminal 1 at a later time ... on a cold snowy night, or with a few Dark n Stormys next time you see me on board.

Once tied up, I was admiring the view from my cabin verandah, and trying to identify the changed streetscape. I was here last in 2004, and missing then were the familiar sights of Trimminghams, Smiths, and Archie Brown & Son. Especially missed is the piper; he was always dressed in full regalia, kilt and all; welcoming whichever vessel that arrived that morning. :(

After a leisurely breakfast, I went ashore to get re-acquainted with what Hamilton had to offer.

I figured my 1st day would concentrate on getting some necessities, so paid a visit to the English Sports Shop, and selected a pair of Bermuda shorts to wear for dinner later in the week. The clerk was very helpful in explaining the proper way to dress for an informal evening.

Bright colours should be avoided ... those are saved for work, and casual wear. IE, pink, khaki, bright blue, etc. He suggested red shorts, matched with a pair of navy socks, and a regiment striped tie. With navy blazer, of course. :)

Since Wednesday was of little significance, we'll flash-forward to Thursday, 6 May.

On Thur, took my friend, and fellow CC member Paul on a tour of the West End. This was his first time

to the island, so I thought I'd show him some of the places that I fell in love with on my 1st visit.

We started at the bus terminal in Hamilton, and made it to our first stop ... Horseshoe Bay; one of the most beautiful beaches in Bermuda. It was pretty overcast, but there were a few people in the water. Brave souls.

The sea temp was a "balmy 65F"... if that won't wake you up, I don't know what will. :eek:

Our time there consisted of just taking photos, and wading in the cove that's just off to the right as you walk onto the beach. Here, the water is calm, surrounded by coral rock formations as high as a 2 story building.

And the water at that cove is deep enough for a swim, yet safe and calm for children.

The next stop was Gibbs' Hill Lighthouse, a few miles up the road from Horseshoe Bay. Built in 1846, it is constructed of cast iron, and the major lighthouse on the island. It's beam can be seen 30 miles by both ships, and planes. We paid the modest admission charge of $2, and proceeded to the top.

To reach the outdoor platform, one has to walk up 185 steps ... bring plenty of water!

Good thing there are landings to catch ones breath ... these convenient spots have tidbits about the history of the lighthouse, and a blessing if you want to recoup from the heat. (No air conditioning, and it becomes a steam bath on a humid day, so dress accordingly!)

We literally "squeezed" through the hatch to step onto the observation platform, and were rewarded with a 360 degree view of the entire island. The trek to the top is very well worth it, and the scenery spectacular!

Don't miss it!! :)

Leaving the lighthouse, hopped on the bus to Royal Naval Dockyard. En route, stopped for lunch at the Somerset Country Squire pub in the tiny hamlet of Somerset. Yes ... it IS tiny. Walk all 4 blocks, and you're out of the town limits before you know it.

The Squire is one of the best establishments in Bermuda. Great food, great service, and dream-like views of Mangrove Bay. This one of those spots that you don't feel rushed ... you're more than welcomed to relax, and enjoy the scenery while having fine fare with your fav drink. :)

Our visit to dockyard was brief, because the main reason was a quick dip at Snorkel Park Beach. But again; the water was a bit chilly, and it didn't feel like a good beach day. But Snorkel Park is a good beach ... man-made, from what I hear, and it's nestled along the walls of the Keep; the mighty fort that encompasses most of the Dockyard. There are no big waves, so it's more than safe for children, and perfect for snorkeling.

A quick (20 min) ferry ride, and we were home again.

Up next ... Veendam, and closing thoughts

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Since Wednesday was of little significance, we'll flash-forward to Thursday, 6 May.

On Thur, took my friend, and fellow CC member Paul on a tour of the West End. This was his first time

to the island, so I thought I'd show him some of the places that I fell in love with on my 1st visit.

We started at the bus terminal in Hamilton, and made it to our first stop ... Horseshoe Bay; one of the most beautiful beaches in Bermuda. It was pretty overcast, but there were a few people in the water. Brave souls.

The sea temp was a "balmy 65F"... if that won't wake you up, I don't know what will. :eek:

Our time there consisted of just taking photos, and wading in the cove that's just off to the right as you walk onto the beach. Here, the water is calm, surrounded by coral rock formations as high as a 2 story building.

And the water at that cove is deep enough for a swim, yet safe and calm for children.

The next stop was Gibbs' Hill Lighthouse, a few miles up the road from Horseshoe Bay. Built in 1846, it is constructed of cast iron, and the major lighthouse on the island. It's beam can be seen 30 miles by both ships, and planes. We paid the modest admission charge of $2, and proceeded to the top.

To reach the outdoor platform, one has to walk up 185 steps ... bring plenty of water!

Good thing there are landings to catch ones breath ... these convenient spots have tidbits about the history of the lighthouse, and a blessing if you want to recoup from the heat. (No air conditioning, and it becomes a steam bath on a humid day, so dress accordingly!)

We literally "squeezed" through the hatch to step onto the observation platform, and were rewarded with a 360 degree view of the entire island. The trek to the top is very well worth it, and the scenery spectacular!

Don't miss it!! :)

Leaving the lighthouse, hopped on the bus to Royal Naval Dockyard. En route, stopped for lunch at the Somerset Country Squire pub in the tiny hamlet of Somerset. Yes ... it IS tiny. Walk all 4 blocks, and you're out of the town limits before you know it.

The Squire is one of the best establishments in Bermuda. Great food, great service, and dream-like views of Mangrove Bay. This one of those spots that you don't feel rushed ... you're more than welcomed to relax, and enjoy the scenery while having fine fare with your fav drink. :)

Our visit to dockyard was brief, because the main reason was a quick dip at Snorkel Park Beach. But again; the water was a bit chilly, and it didn't feel like a good beach day. But Snorkel Park is a good beach ... man-made, from what I hear, and it's nestled along the walls of the Keep; the mighty fort that encompasses most of the Dockyard. There are no big waves, so it's more than safe for children, and perfect for snorkeling.

A quick (20 min) ferry ride, and we were home again.

Up next ... Veendam, and closing thoughts

WOW, I thought we were the only ones who knew about the Squire! We have been stopping there every time we stop in Bermuda. Best hidden spot around.

Archived