Carnival cruise ship bartender accused of raping teen

Morally, you may have issues with it. Some cultures do not. Legally, that depends on the jurisdiction the alleged crime takes place in.

Not hedging, but personally, I think it's deplorable. I find "men" like this skeevy as hell and dangerous.

This whole situation proves one major thing that has been debated ad nauseum on these boards....these crew members are not our friends....they are our service providers while on the cruise...they do a job..we tip them....and are cordial (I would hope) to them....but no way on Earth are they our friends...we continue to confuse doing one's job as trying to befriend the pax. PLEASE!!!

Those parents fell for it hook line and sinker...and apparantly spent much time at the bar...with their 14yo (yes, I know she was only drinking soda) but, why the need to befriend the bartender...I know the answer to that one.....and we wonder why the upfront bartender tipping threads get nasty...or why so many have to question why pax drink so much?

I am no teetootaler by far...but making friends with a bartender..especially with my teens in tow...would never happen...that is a certainty. Of course, not all bartenders or crew are bad..I know that..it is just when traveling with beautiful daughters...one must be cautious. Heck...even if they were ugly I would be cautious.....geez...I am fluffy..but not too fluffy..myself.....and I watch out. Doesn't matter what one looks like.....all that matters is that these crew members and the other pax are all strangers. Simple logic!!

Careful. If they were in international waters then I believe the law may be different. In Panama the legal age of consent can be as low as 12 for females.

What he did may be morally wrong and not criminal.

Thanks SC. However is leading an investigation the same as being able to convict?

Also further along those line in that same link: On cruises, meanwhile, their transient nature can make investigations difficult. When possible, agents meet vessels before docking to conduct interviews. In some cases—if witnesses have dispersed, too much time has elapsed, or alcohol is involved—cases are difficult to prosecute.

I wonder if the FBI violated anything by administering the Poly. And are Polys still admissible in court?

Hope the law didnt mess up.

He is being tried in Federal Court. Polygraph arent admissible, but in this case it lead to a confession, that is admissible.

I think everyone is aware of this...the fact is that with the information provided, some of us have formed opinions on the matter.

I'm not 100% sure the info given was accurate...but as it stands, from what I read, the guy is guilty of having sex with a minor.

And from what I've read, aliens did it. (And I don't say that to dimish the magnitude of these charges, but you've read what a reporter is presenting to you.)

Seriously, you don't even know what evidence is being presented in court and you're already passing judgment. Why don't you let the judge and jury do their job. There's a reasons why judges reject potential jurors what have read up too much on cases or have prejudices.

And let's be honest, you can convict this guy all you want in the court of public opinion but you're not doing anyone any good -- not the victim, not the alleged perpatrator, no one.

If your daughter was involved in something like this, I sincerely hope that the last thing that would be on your mind is what a bunch of internet yahoos had to say about the matter. If you were the mother of the kid involved and you were more concerned about the internet buzz regarding he incident than getting your kid ready to endure the trial, I would be very, very worried about your parenting style.

No one said ANYTHING about her being on here today or tomorrow or next week even. But at somepoint someone who knows this child could see this and all I am saying Lemur is that we should be more mindfull of what we say today can harm someone tomorrow.

This whole situation proves one major thing that has been debated ad nauseum on these boards....these crew members are not our friends....they are our service providers while on the cruise...they do a job..we tip them....and are cordial (I would hope) to them....but no way on Earth are they our friends...we continue to confuse doing one's job as trying to befriend the pax. PLEASE!!!

Those parents fell for it hook line and sinker...and apparantly spent much time at the bar...with their 14yo (yes, I know she was only drinking soda) but, why the need to befriend the bartender...I know the answer to that one.....and we wonder why the upfront bartender tipping threads get nasty...or why so many have to question why pax drink so much?

I am no teetootaler by far...but making friends with a bartender..especially with my teens in tow...would never happen...that is a certainty. Of course, not all bartenders or crew are bad..I know that..it is just when traveling with beautiful daughters...one must be cautious. Heck...even if they were ugly I would be cautious.....geez...I am fluffy..but not too fluffy..myself.....and I watch out. Doesn't matter what one looks like.....all that matters is that these crew members and the other pax are all strangers. Simple logic!!

That's sad in a way and I disagree with you. There are tens of thousands of cruise ship employees...We have been very friendly with some while on board...for that week or two, we are friends. Just because occasionally one bad apple turns up, doesn't mean you shouldn't want to have a friendship, even a temporary one, with ANY individual you meet going through life.

No one said ANYTHING about her being on here today or tomorrow or next week even. But at somepoint someone who knows this child could see this and all I am saying Lemur is that we should be more mindfull of what we say today can harm someone tomorrow.

:rolleyes:

Why does the timing matter? Why worry about internet speculation when you have real issues to deal with?

Careful. If they were in international waters then I believe the law may be different. In Panama the legal age of consent can be as low as 12 for females.

What he did may be morally wrong and not criminal.

The age of consent is 18 in Panama

http://www.avert.org/age-of-consent.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America#Panama

Do you have a source that says 12?

Anyone could conjure up a story about this. They were familiar with the man. I remember 14. She easily could have developed a crush on him, and was out on deck waiting for him to finish his shift. We don't really know. I know during the day, I would let my teens roam the ship but at night? Not alone. No way. Maybe in a small group, but never alone. I'm not convinced it started out as rape. It's just CALLED that because of her age. He was wrong, yes, but in this situation so were the parents and I think she was way too trusting of someone she didn't know. But thats how kids are. They think nothing can happen to them, and if it WAS a crush or something, well then she probably wasn't thinking much at all. I feel sorry for the family. Lessons learned the hard way!

It is CALLED that because that is exactly WHAT IT IS. Regardless of the scenario....and you do paint one that could be true.....and that she put herself in a bad situation.......The law protects the 14yo victim...regardless if she was a lovestruck teen or not......It will never be anything other than rape between a 14yo and a 30yo. I didn't read anything about the parents allowing them permission to marry...did you?

It scares me that most of the posters on this thead are potential jury pool members.

Seriously. Apparently I'm part of a very small group of people in this country who took history and civics in high school and am capable of applying those lessons to real life.

It scares me that most of the posters on this thead are potential jury pool members.

They never pick me for jury duty as I am way too pragmatic in my thoughts...because I don't have my head in the sand.....and neither do you as the father of a daughter.

BTW, I do get called and I happily sit there until they dismiss me...and take my $40 per day as well.

Maybe if more jury pool candidates thought like the posters here are doing...and the criminals knew this.......well, one can only hope

Update..sorta,,doesnt sound like he will be pleading guilty tomorrow.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/01/1658095/bartender-arrested-accused-of.html

Krispiyanto is being held without bond in Seminole County jail. His attorney, Peter Warren Kenny, noted the case is in its early stages.

Carnival said in an e-mail it's top priority is guest safety and security, and it has fully cooperated in the investigation. Carnival said the alleged incident occurred aboard the Carnival Freedom in April 2009 and it was not reported to the cruise line by the girl or her family.

They never pick me for jury duty as I am way too pragmatic in my thoughts...because I don't have my head in the sand.....and neither do you as the father of a daughter.

BTW, I do get called and I happily sit there until they dismiss me...and take my $40 per day as well.

Man, we don't get $40 until you've been on JD for 3 days. We only get $5 a day for the first two days.

Maybe if more jury pool candidates thought like the posters here are doing...and the criminals knew this.......well, one can only hope

What? That more jury pool candidates would be dismissed and it'd be even harder to sit a criminal jury? The point of being on a jury is to be objective about the case, to look at it in the abstract. Clearly, most of the people in this forum aren't capable of that as they can't disentangle their own moral outrage with the legalities of the situation.

If one presumes the article is fact, taking all the fine tuned semantics and agruments out for a bit, there was that "getting to know the bartender with the parents around at some point" mentioned in the article. In a high percentages of rape there is some form of knowing the rapist. Cruise ships and social sites like the one this person allegedly set himself up on are the perfect place to create that false security; and we are all susceptible...unfortunately extra caution should prevail and this pattern taught to our young...and re-taught to adults...one is never completely safe from these risks in this age.

And from what I've read, aliens did it. (And I don't say that to dimish the magnitude of these charges, but you've read what a reporter is presenting to you.)

Seriously, you don't even know what evidence is being presented in court and you're already passing judgment. Why don't you let the judge and jury do their job. There's a reasons why judges reject potential jurors what have read up too much on cases or have prejudices.

And let's be honest, you can convict this guy all you want in the court of public opinion but you're not doing anyone any good -- not the victim, not the alleged perpatrator, no one.

I think that is SO over dramatic.

We all have opinions on everything we see and read and experience every day. IF I were a juror, it would be wrong to 'feel' a certain way about this before sitting through a trial and hearing everything, but I am not a juror. I am a person who read an article posted on line. BASED on that article I feel (if it is accurate) the guy is guilty of assault (minimum...possibly rape).

I am not on a soap box screaming "Off with his head!"....and I said 'alleged' enough to cover my a$$

More drama...Pete, do you seriously believe that people who form opinions on a daily basis, wouldn't know how to be good jurors if they were called to do so??

And let's face it, IF there were folks that wouldn't make good jurors, they'd be tossed. That's why jurors are screened.

C'mom...this is just ridiculous.

You guys are all very funny.....regarding the jury pool........what flavor kool aid do you prefer?

It was bound to happen today...everyone against the bartender....and then turning to watching out for his rights. We really are quite predictable here, you know.

Seriously. Apparently I'm part of a very small group of people in this country who took history and civics in high school and am capable of applying those lessons to real life.

you mean the small group of us who realizes that the inscription on the Statue of Liberty is NOT part of the Constitution and is but a caption from a poem....

The text is from "The New Colossus," a poem by Emma Lazarus:

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Man, we don't get $40 until you've been on JD for 3 days. We only get $5 a day for the first two days.

What? That more jury pool candidates would be dismissed and it'd be even harder to sit a criminal jury? The point of being on a jury is to be objective about the case, to look at it in the abstract. Clearly, most of the people in this forum aren't capable of that as they can't disentangle their own moral outrage with the legalities of the situation.

got $80 the last time...and walked to the courthouse...was released by noon...so didn't have to pay for parking or lunch. Put the $80 toward our next vacation. Wish I could sign up to be called on a regular basis....but not in the summer because that would interfere with fun time!:D

I'm one of those idiots that always thought your name would go on "the list" from voter registration. So I didn't.

I was told, NONSENSE, so I eventually registered in the 90's. I was called for jury duty within 6 months. Case was settled out of court, so I was dismissed.

I got another summons just as I was moving off the island, and sent it back stating so.

Been safe now 10 years, wondering if I should register for 2012. :eek:

Archived