Welcome back, middle-aged mom!

usha

WOW, thank you, Usha! I'm in the middle of unpacking and doing laundry right now, but I've saved all of our programs and most of our dinner menus, and my sister took a lot of photos and video. We're going to try to create a website of our great 14-day Alaska cruise together on the Amsterdam. On a scale of 1-100, this trip was most definitely a 101:) In fact, we had so much fun, we hope to do it all again next year. In the same cabin, too!

Thanks, Copper "Semper Fi" John and Mustang Dave:) Many thanks to you both for your service for our country:) Thank you David Luvtwotrvl and Susie51. We hope to do the 14-day itinerary again next year. Traveling with my favorite sister is great! She's much easier than my husband;) We hope to get started on pics this weekend. My sister took close to seven hundred, plus video, so we need to do some weeding.

The cruise was truly wonderful. Weather was fantastic; it was often sunnier and warmer throughout our cruise than it was in Seattle. Juneau we hit upper 70s (last Friday, May 28th). Seas were the calmest I've ever experienced in four cruises to Alaska.

Welcome home middle-aged mom!!! I, toom am anxious to hear all about your trip. I was just reading some complaints about Homer....would love your opinion. Kodiak is another place I am not sure about and I have no excursions for these places.

Happy to hear about your good weather....we for sure haven't had anything nice...or NEAR nice!! (Although it looks like the sun has peeked out for awhile right now!)

m.a.m., can't you tell us all about it while you're doing laundorama????;):D

Quickie version:

Some high points in the cruise: Glacier Bay (most beautiful I've ever seen it), Hubbard Glacier ( huge pieces of ice snapping, crashing and splashing like crazy, captain got us really close to the glacier considering the time of year), flying over Misty Fiords (or is that Fjords?) with Southeast Aviation in Ketchikan, going with Captain Davey Lubin on the Esther G in Sitka, daylight at midnight (!!!!) when we were up there in Anchorage, Homer, and Kodiak (loved all three ports), the fantastic chanteuse/piano player Diane Fast in the piano bar (she'll be back on the ship from June 28 to the end of the Alaska season), our dining room staff - especially AYWD dining host Herry Wihowo (I probably spelled that wrong, very sorry), Chris Martin the shore excursions manager who was always unfailingly helpful and polite, and most of all, spending time with my favorite sister.

Low points: Getting off the ship:( Also, it appears HAL no longer has a dedicated naturalist on board its Alaska cruises - just an Explorations Team member called a "travel guide" who presents generic, standardized talks on various Alaska subjects that seem to be pre-prepared by HAL corporate. Park rangers and native Alaskan interpreters do board the ship in Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier and provide commentary and talks during the time we are visiting those parks/glaciers.

Promise to come back and tell more when I'm coherent:). I'm fading fast, and nobody's going to bring me pillow chocolate tonight.......

... the fantastic chanteuse/piano player Diane Fast in the piano bar (she'll be back on the ship from June 28 to the end of the Alaska season), .......

Thank you!!!

Welcome home. Get some rest. Get back to us when you can---you already covered the important point. ;)

Quickie version:

Some high points in the cruise: the fantastic chanteuse/piano player Diane Fast in the piano bar (she'll be back on the ship from June 28 to the end of the Alaska season),

Promise to come back and tell more when I'm coherent:). I'm fading fast, and nobody's going to bring me pillow chocolate tonight.......

Diane is still on?? Wow! She was on my Grand Voyage last September.....and I assume she did the world. Glad she will be back on when I board on June 28th?

I will bring a chocolate to your pillow tonight....just need directions to your bedroom.

Question:

Who are the summer Cruise Director and Hotel Manager? Also.....was the Captain Fred Aversen?

DAM! It sounds like you had an awesome cruise, middle-aged mom!

I can't wait to hear (as in READ) the whole DAM story!:D

Glad you're home safely:), but sorry it's over for ya! :(

Question:

Who are the summer Cruise Director and Hotel Manager? Also.....was the Captain Fred Aversen?

On our Amsterdam cruise just ended today, Captain was Fred Eversen, Hotel Manager was Kees Streuding, and Cruise Director was Jimmy Lynett.

(And, even though I don't have a pillow chocolate, tonight I do have my pillow honey, my husband;)).

Good night, all.:)

I'm the picture-taking sister of M.O.M. And she's not joking about the number of pics and video I took. I can't help myself - Alaska is spectacular :)

Since I'm new to Cruise Critic, I'll see if I can figure out how to post some pictures to share. It was a fabulous itinerary, and we're planning to go again next summer. Can't wait!

I'm the picture-taking sister of M.O.M. And she's not joking about the number of pics and video I took. I can't help myself - Alaska is spectacular :)

Since I'm new to Cruise Critic, I'll see if I can figure out how to post some pictures to share. It was a fabulous itinerary, and we're planning to go again next summer. Can't wait!

Hope you figure it out....posting pics I mean. I will love looking at them. I take MANY MANY pics everywhere I go too. Part of the fun!

Diane is still on?? Wow! She was on my Grand Voyage last September.....and I assume she did the world. Glad she will be back on when I board on June 28th?

A musician named Stryker was supposed to do the World. He was on my Rotterdam cruise last fall.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with Diane. Hope she's as good as M-aM says. It sounds like it was a fun time.

Okay, I've uploaded some photos, so I think I've got this photo loading thing down... and now I've got to get down with some laundry folding :)

My sister posted some shots of our trip in the Cruise Critic photo gallery (ports of call forum):

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/member.php?uid=577788&protype=1

Please refresh the random images gallery for an additional selection.

My sister posted some shots of our trip in the Cruise Critic photo gallery (ports of call forum):

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/member.php?uid=577788&protype=1

Please refresh the random images gallery for an additional selection.

Very nice Pictures!!!!

Thank you....We can not wait till our Alaska Land trip NOW!!! I am ready to go NOW especially after seeing your wonderful pictures.....

By the way Middle-aged Mom, we will be at the Seattle airport for a couple of hours June 22, 2010!!!

David

Karen I want to Welcome you and your sister home from the Amsterdam :) I do not get to spend as much time in Cruise Critic as I use to but I do look out for postings of special C Friends ;)

I am so glad you had a great time.

Archived