Nobody's mentioned Nieuw Amsterdam's sea trials yet?!

Oh, thank you! :) I would appreciate it if you could identify that stunning view. I'd even try to be out to see it for myself next time I'm in the area.

No promises Ruth, but I'll do my best. I know I've at least limited it down to one body of water... that has to help... right? :D

That is a fantastic photo, and I am so happy she can float and move quite quickly from the looks of things...actullay how fast can the NA go?

I can't wait to test out the Cabana club, mine is already rented...the only thing that concerns me is the roll call for my cruise is still not active...I'll just have to be paitent I guess..

Top speed for the Vista/Signature class if everything is going as fast as it can possibly manage is I believe the high end of 23 kts, MAYBE the very low end of 24?

Everybody has mentioned sailings before mine.

I have to wait until February.

I hope the Silk Den is as beautiful as the one on Eurodam.

JMHO - the most beautiful space afloat !

I haven't seen any renderings yet but I've heard there will be a couple changes to Silk Den (minor in the grand scheme)

Oops! I forgot the Celebrity Eclipse, launched FEB 28:

1032' and 122,000 tons, for 4,123 souls aboard.

Oops, is right -- a bit off on this one!:) The Celebrity Eclipse is 122,000 tons, but only 2,850 passengers. The space ratio of the Eclipse is better than the space ratio of the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Nieuw Amsterdam = 40.87 tons per passenger

Celebrity Eclipse = 42.81 tons per passenger

Nothing in HAL's fleet can compete, or compare to this latest addition to Celebrity's fleet. Celebrity hit a home run with this new class of ship; HAL needs to play catch up now!

Enjoy!

Kel

The extra passenger load combined with the private cabanas on the Lido deck are the basis of my concern. I really don't see the Signature class ships as being a better situation for the HAL customer.

igraf

The Signature ships are really the same as a Vista with two partial decks on the top. Unfortunately, they have added 200 more passengers.

As your signature shows you have 67 days booked on Volendam next year I would imagine your lack of enthusiasm is due to the fact you prefer the R (and likely also S) class ships?

100% correct, 3000 pax not for me...

That is a great shot! Where was it taken, if you know?

Thanks.

That shot was taken from one of two helicopters off Trieste, Italy after Nieuw Amsterdam left dry-dock there on 21 May. HAL had rented one helo and Fincantieri the other for publicity shots.

Oh, thank you! :) I would appreciate it if you could identify that stunning view. I'd even try to be out to see it for myself next time I'm in the area.

Stan Kuppens was able to advise in a passing email that it was just outside of Trieste. He also mentioned there was a polite request throughout the PA for everyone to step indoors so the helicopter could get some photos without a bunch of people on balconies, etc.

Stan Kuppens was able to advise in a passing email that it was just outside of Trieste. He also mentioned there was a polite request throughout the PA for everyone to step indoors so the helicopter could get some photos without a bunch of people on balconies, etc.

Thank you so much for following up on my question. I appreciate it. The view is stunning, and I would love the opportunity to see it "up close and personal" some day.

Apparently, the pilot of the helo hired by Fincantieri got so low, at times he was flying/hovering below NA's boat deck in order to have his photographer get his desired shots;)

I agree, despite not having experienced one of those mega-ships yet. I chose HAL because of the good size and the good crew-to-pax ratio. Carnival and others cram up to 50% more passengers on board, with the same crew size and basically the same ship size.

I'll take slightly more spaciousness and far more quietude over slightly lower rates any day. Just imagine how crowded the excursions, rentals, shops, and beaches are going to be when the Oasis, Allure, and/or Epic are in the same port at your ship.

I don't find HAL rates particularly any more costly than Carnival or others...they have distinct markets & market accordingly. So apples-to-apples prices are very comparable from what we've seen, but HAL still is the hands-down winner for our family.

She looks beautiful. I have a deposit on the Dec. 5-19 cruise and hopefully will come up with the rest of the money by final payment. I was able to get a very good solo price. I loved the size of the Noordam so the size sounds really good. A work friend cruised the Oasis and was not impressed. She said that everywhere you went, there were crowds of people. She also said that by the time food came in MDR, it was usually warm to cold. I am looking forward to reading the reviews of the Nieuw Amsterdam as she begins her cruises in July.

We are booked on the NA in November and also on the Oasis in December. I do not hold the same expectations for the Oasis that I do for HAL's newest ship. I don't think one can compare the two. We are sailing the Oasis just to see the ship and to celebrate our dd's law school graduation. The Oasis was her first choice. I doubt we will ever sail on her again as opposed to HAL whom we dearly love to sail.

We are so looking forward to our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise and HAL's fabulous crew!!

Archived