Golden Alaska May 29 - little long

doe326

This was only our second cruise on Princess and we were really pleased with it. Our first not so much. No real complaints, had a good time, just wasn't what we expected. My BF told me to take an Alaskan cruise on Princess and I wouldn't be disapoointed. She was absolutely right.

Spent 2 days before the cruise in Seattle. Had a nice time visiting Pike Market, the Space Needle and a tour of the city. Ate at some really nice restaurants too.

Embarkation went really well (as you can see we cruise Carnival a lot because we are only 1 hour from Galveston) and Carnival could take a page out of Princess' book. Arrived about 12:30 pm and was in our room by 1:00 pm. We had anytime dining and really liked it. Met a lot of really nice and interesting people. Great service by the wait staff.

First day out it was rainy & and cold, so we took the opportunity to familiarize ourselves with the ship.

It was very warm in Juneau and we went whale watching with Harv and Marv. Quite a good day seeing whales and Orcas! Had a bald eagle dive right in front of our bow and pick up a fish. He did this twice. Quite a sight. Walked around Juneau and then back to the ship for dinner.

In Skagway we took a tour with Dyea Dave and then took the train back from Fraser. Spectacular scenery. Was selected to participate in the Chef's Table and we were not disappointed. Food was terrific, especially dessert. Wonderful tablemates too.

Loved cruise through Glacier Bay. Margerie Glacier did show us some calving. Weather was pretty nice.

It rained in Ketchikan (as usual). Took a walking tour and a trolley ride with the horses. Quite cold and windy too. Took the ship's tour to Butchart Gardens in Victoria. A very beautiful place to visit.

The shows were very entertaining and the dancers and singers did a great job. Very good food throughout the week. The Head Waiter in the Bernnini (sp?) was very nice. He also was head waiter for breakfast in the Donatella. Loved our mini suite and are probably spoiled for life now -- ha, ha. The crew and staff were very friendly and helpful and made for one terrific cruise. Debarkation went off without a hitch. Used EZ check for our luggage and that worked out very well. Can't wait to go on Princess again. We even bought FCC's.

Thanks for the review. Our first cruise ever was to Alaska and now we get to go back! I'm so excited :p

We are also on the Golden and saw the time frame for Butchart Gardens is evening. Did you find there was enough daylight to really make it worth the trip? Can you get the full effect with not enough light? I really want to do that tour and think my MIL would love it too but don't know about the daylight factor.

Thanks for your help! Glad you had a great cruise.

In reply to the daylight question, you should have plenty at that time of year. And no matter what the time frame, Butchart Gardens is not to be missed. I was there in the afternoon in May, but it is so beautifully designed that I would imagine that twilight is spectacular. Like Longwood Gardens in my neck of the woods, it brings to mind the saying of "It's what God would do if he had money." No disrespect intended. Just go.

Thanks for the review. Our first cruise ever was to Alaska and now we get to go back! I'm so excited :p

We are also on the Golden and saw the time frame for Butchart Gardens is evening. Did you find there was enough daylight to really make it worth the trip? Can you get the full effect with not enough light? I really want to do that tour and think my MIL would love it too but don't know about the daylight factor.

Thanks for your help! Glad you had a great cruise.

It was defintely worth it and you will have more light than we did. DH took loads of photos. Some with flash some without. All turned out really well. They do have lighting and it gives the place a beautifull effect. And you should have a lot more flowers in bloom than we did, especially the roses. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Thanks for your post. I was supposed to be on that cruise but had to cancel. Glad you had good weather overall.

I'm sorry you had to cancel. It was a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review! We are book on Golden in August. Can you tell me if Southwest Airlines participated in the EZ Check program? Last year, they didn't. It would sure be nice if they are picking up the luggage this year!

Thanks for the review! We are book on Golden in August. Can you tell me if Southwest Airlines participated in the EZ Check program? Last year, they didn't. It would sure be nice if they are picking up the luggage this year!

Don't know about Southwest as we used Continental. Loved EZ check. Didn't have to worry about our bags and they were waiting for us in Houston. Really made DH happy.

I am glad you had a good time! I booked the same time for next year :)

I hope you will not have problems making that one. We've already booked our next cruise with Princess -- 10 day round trip Panama Canal on the Island. Our FCC's ink didn't have time to dry!

Don't know about Southwest as we used Continental. Loved EZ check. Didn't have to worry about our bags and they were waiting for us in Houston. Really made DH happy.

Thanks. I flew Alaska Air last year and used it..it was wonderful...we are flying Southwest this time and Princess couldn't seem to give me a straight answer about Southwest participating in the EZ Check.

Thanks. I flew Alaska Air last year and used it..it was wonderful...we are flying Southwest this time and Princess couldn't seem to give me a straight answer about Southwest participating in the EZ Check.

Southwest does not participate in EZCheck anywhere.

In Fort Lauderdale, where they are a mjaor player at the airport, they set up a booth outside the cruise terminal where passengers can drop off their luggage (for a fee) and get their boarding passes.

I doubt they would do this for any airport that is not a major airport for them and which does not have a significant number of cruisers.

Southwest does not participate in EZCheck anywhere.

In Fort Lauderdale, where they are a mjaor player at the airport, they set up a booth outside the cruise terminal where passengers can drop off their luggage (for a fee) and get their boarding passes.

I doubt they would do this for any airport that is not a major airport for them and which does not have a significant number of cruisers.

Thanks for the information. I was tearing my hair out yesterday while on the phone with Princess, as the rep didn't seem to understand what I was talking about. She told me that it is done on a case by case basis with Southwest...duh??...and she suggested that I call Southwest to see if they are participating. I was just trying to plan ahead to see if I was going to be able to get by with a smaller pick up vehicle if I didn't have to worry about luggage, or if I was going to have to reserve a limo to take us back to the airport. I do know that last summer, Southwest did not participate, but I was hoping that this had changed, as EZCheck is a fantastic program!

Hey doe326, did u hear that Carnival is going to put the new Magic in Galveston next year??

We are taking our first CCL cruise in February 2012 from Fort Lauderdale but the Galveston option will be terrific since we too can drive.

We loved our Alaska cruise too!

This was only our second cruise on Princess and we were really pleased with it. Our first not so much. No real complaints, had a good time, just wasn't what we expected. My BF told me to take an Alaskan cruise on Princess and I wouldn't be disapoointed. She was absolutely right.

Spent 2 days before the cruise in Seattle. Had a nice time visiting Pike Market, the Space Needle and a tour of the city. Ate at some really nice restaurants too.

Embarkation went really well (as you can see we cruise Carnival a lot because we are only 1 hour from Galveston) and Carnival could take a page out of Princess' book. Arrived about 12:30 pm and was in our room by 1:00 pm. We had anytime dining and really liked it. Met a lot of really nice and interesting people. Great service by the wait staff.

First day out it was rainy & and cold, so we took the opportunity to familiarize ourselves with the ship.

It was very warm in Juneau and we went whale watching with Harv and Marv. Quite a good day seeing whales and Orcas! Had a bald eagle dive right in front of our bow and pick up a fish. He did this twice. Quite a sight. Walked around Juneau and then back to the ship for dinner.

In Skagway we took a tour with Dyea Dave and then took the train back from Fraser. Spectacular scenery. Was selected to participate in the Chef's Table and we were not disappointed. Food was terrific, especially dessert. Wonderful tablemates too.

Loved cruise through Glacier Bay. Margerie Glacier did show us some calving. Weather was pretty nice.

It rained in Ketchikan (as usual). Took a walking tour and a trolley ride with the horses. Quite cold and windy too. Took the ship's tour to Butchart Gardens in Victoria. A very beautiful place to visit.

The shows were very entertaining and the dancers and singers did a great job. Very good food throughout the week. The Head Waiter in the Bernnini (sp?) was very nice. He also was head waiter for breakfast in the Donatella. Loved our mini suite and are probably spoiled for life now -- ha, ha. The crew and staff were very friendly and helpful and made for one terrific cruise. Debarkation went off without a hitch. Used EZ check for our luggage and that worked out very well. Can't wait to go on Princess again. We even bought FCC's.

How was the food.....

Bob

Hey doe326, did u hear that Carnival is going to put the new Magic in Galveston next year??

We are taking our first CCL cruise in February 2012 from Fort Lauderdale but the Galveston option will be terrific since we too can drive.

We loved our Alaska cruise too!

Great news for Galveston. Will miss the Ecstasy terribly. Taking 3rd cruise on her in November. They have a fantastic cruise director, Steve Cassel. Hope he stays with the Magic or Triumph. I thought they may give us some new itineraries. Although heard that that might change. Looking forward to trying both of the new ships.

The Alaska itinerary is still my favorite after 16 cruises. Can't beat the scenery.

How was the food.....

Bob

Enjoyed the food. My favorite was the chicken salad at the International Cafe. Also tried the Chef's Table and the food was exceptional. Had breakfast in the MDR every day and was quite good. Everything I ordered at dinner was good. Didn't have a bad meal anywhere. Loved the pizza. Thought Carnival had really good pizza but Princess beats it hands down. The buffet was somewhat smaller than Carnival's but I still found plenty to eat (in fact a little too much to eat!). If anyone gets the chance to attend the Chef's Table do it. It's a little expensive but well worth it.

If you want check out my photos at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1220009&highlight=doe326

I have a couple photos of the food at the Chef's Table.

I thought they may give us some new itineraries.

Carnival Magic will operate a season of seven-night cruises out of Galveston beginning on November 14, 2011, and the ship will sail both Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries through April 2012. The Western Caribbean cruise will stop in Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel; the Eastern Caribbean cruise will visit Nassau, Freeport and Key West.

Triumph will sail year-round four- and five-night Caribbean cruises from Galveston beginning on October 6, 2011. Four-day cruises depart Thursdays to Cozumel, while five-day voyages depart Mondays and Saturdays and visit Cozumel and Progreso, Mexico.

I do know that last summer, Southwest did not participate, but I was hoping that this had changed, as EZCheck is a fantastic program!

From the Southwest web site:

Southwest Airlines Cruise-going Customers can arrange for check-in of their baggage and issuance of boarding passes at the cruise port when they disembark from their cruise ship. The service is available on selective cruise ships at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

The service allows Customers to explore and enjoy the city in which they disembark -- without having to lug their bags around -- until it's time to head to the airport. Once at the airport, Customers can head straight to their departure gate, allowing them to bypass lines at the Skycap and main ticket counter.

How does it work?

• Upon disembarking from their cruise ship, Customers simply hand their baggage over to the Bags To Go agent stationed at the cruise port.
  • The Bags To Go agent checks the Customer's luggage and issues the Southwest Airlines boarding pass using AirIT's CHECKport.
  • The luggage is then shipped to the airport in a secure vehicle, screened by the TSA, and loaded onto the Customer's Southwest Airlines flight.

Bags must be presented three hours prior to departure and are only accepted on flights departing after 11:45 AM. The service costs $10 per bag. Additional fees apply for excess, overweight and oversized bags. These fees, if applicable, will be collected at the pier by Bags To Go Representatives. Please visit www.southwest.com for Southwest Airlines baggage allowance information.

The Cruise-Straight-to-the-Gate service does not include ground transportation and does not guarantee a boarding pass in the Customer's preferred boarding group.

Caribill -- Thanks for the Southwest info. I am hoping that they will soon add Seattle to their program, as it sure is nice to be able to leave your luggage at the pier, rather than deal with it at the airport. I hope this doesn't post twice, as my first attempt at a reply ended in the message flying off my screen!

Smiles,

Karen

Archived