What's the grossest thing you've ever seen someone do on a ship?

squidward

OMG! That happened to me. I was sitting topless on our balcony, when I heard an older man on the next balcony say "That woman's naked over there"! It was funny as hell, but I did draw my knees up. I've learned to hang a towel over the balcony first, although I really don't care. I'm sitting on my own balcony, not parading around. Chances are I'll never see you again.

I wonder if he took a picture and it is all over the internet.

I like a parade:D

I haven't read the posts because I think it's kinda gross that anyone wants to hear about the grossest thing anyone's seen on a cruise ship.;)

Some things are better left unsaid.:eek:

So what you are saying is that what happens on a cruise stays on a cruise ship.

Regarding the 2 1/2 year old that that stepped up & was breast fed at the table during second seating dinner. I have no problem if you choose to breast feed your child at whatever age both my DD & DIL breast fed my grandchilden. BUT it should be done discreetly at least attempt to cover up. It was inconsiderate for the surrounding diners along with the wait staff to be subjected to this!

Babies in diapers in the hot tub.

This happens every cruise. And the parents with their baby are sitting right next to the sign that says children are not allowed in the hot tub.

Apparently, the parents think the public hot tubs are also their personal toilettes

Saw this going to Bermuda, not pretty. Had to clear it and drain it, not on "X"...:eek:

I was once sharing a table with a diner who tipped his soup plate toward himself (instead of away) when getting the last dregs out! Gross! (Just joking - standards are going downhill rapidly!

Ladysmith

OMG! That happened to me. I was sitting topless on our balcony, when I heard an older man on the next balcony say "That woman's naked over there"! It was funny as hell, but I did draw my knees up. I've learned to hang a towel over the balcony first, although I really don't care. I'm sitting on my own balcony, not parading around. Chances are I'll never see you again.

Feel free to book the cabin next to me on any upcoming cruises:D

OK, I commented earlier in this thread (food spewing waiter), but now it is getting really sad. Bagging on a mother nursing! Give me a break! Why is that more of an issue than dress on formal night, ordering mulitple lobsters, bringing booze on board, etc. ?

I have been blasted for being 'judgemental' in some of my posts, but nearly every post in this thread is nothing but judgemental. Judgemental is judgemental, which is what most of this board is. There are very few facts, just opinions. Just because a bunch of people agree on an issue, doesn't make it non judgemental, nor does it make it a fact.

It's not WHAT she was doing, but HOW she did it. In public, a nursing mother should cover herself and not expose her breast at the dinner table.

Really. I am sure that there is something at 2-1/2 that could have been had for nutritional purposes in the MDR other than breast milk when a good set of teeth are set in the gums at that age and the child can chew and feet itself. Its exhibitionism, IMHO of course.:)

Really. I am sure that there is something at 2-1/2 that could have been had for nutritional purposes in the MDR other than breast milk when a good set of teeth are set in the gums at that age and the child can chew and feet itself. Its exhibitionism, IMHO of course.:)

But what about nursing through a baby's second or even third year? Is breast still best for toddlers? If we can get past our collective ambivalence, I think the answer is a resounding "yes."

from

http://www.lightparty.com/Health/10ReasonsToBreastfeed.html

UNICEF has long encouraged breastfeeding for two years and longer

from

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/breastfeeding/a/bf_toddler.htm

But what about nursing through a baby's second or even third year? Is breast still best for toddlers? If we can get past our collective ambivalence, I think the answer is a resounding "yes."

from

http://www.lightparty.com/Health/10ReasonsToBreastfeed.html

UNICEF has long encouraged breastfeeding for two years and longer

from

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/breastfeeding/a/bf_toddler.htm

We live in countries where food and good food is available for daily nutrition and we can make our own food in home gardens. I think if you can take a cruise you can afford to buy food and good food to meet daily nutrition.

I am not ambivalent at all, I think if one wants to nurse in an extended nursing plan that one should do so as appropriate to meet this special mom and me time that is advocated. Its not too special when nursing is among 500 diners on a cruise ship. Its not quiet and its not just between the mom and the child. That to me is not establishing a special time and place for such things and I'll go even further to suggest that it starts a path of loose boundaries, self centeredness and inability to adjust to the environment as appropriate.

By the same token, should adults start to heavy pett because their goal is to have a special bond and relationship and romance is good for our heath and heart and souls according to experts?

Its a Dining Room for heavens sake. If the kid is starving for food feed him at the table, he is not a starving infant. He can manage table food and I'm sure at that age he's had it regularly.

Would we rather have a screaming baby (toddler) or a nursing baby (toddler) in the dining room?

EXCELLENT point. I'd like to live in a world that a mother can assess what her child needs and address it within boundaries that make sense to her place in the universe.

If a screaming baby scenario, take the baby out of the MDR and consider everyone else.

If a toddler needs nursing, take the toddler out of the MDR and consider everyone else.

In both instances there is a need for the PARENT to be a adult and that includes assessing the needs of the child, the environment around you and the proper response to all. It just might mean getting up, shifting gears and giving up your chair fixed contentment to address the needs of multiple others both inside and outside of yourself and your immediate nucleus.

People need to learn that aspect of life better IMHO.

So true, I do the same. Nothing is worse than someone using the restroom and not washing their hands. That's what makes it tough when you are in the same place with many people for a week, and you seem to always see the people you don't want to see time and time again.

My one and only Celebrity cruise was fun, but very different. Maybe it was the age group...not too many people under the age of 50ish! But, it was never crowded while trying to run a few miles, and the gym was never too packed either. We used the pool and hot tub more on this cruise than any other.

If a screaming baby scenario, take the baby out of the MDR and consider everyone else.

If a toddler needs nursing, take the toddler out of the MDR and consider everyone else.

With fixed dining that would be a little difficult.

As far as the nursing toddler goes, I nursed my DD on demand and till she self weaned, which was in our case was the week after she turned 15 months (only a month ago). I would have happily nursed her longer if she needed/ wanted. Would a mother nursing her toddler in the MDR bothered me? no. however, its all about how she went about doing so. just whipping out ones breast is a bit much for any age nursling. Toddlers are able to eat food like the little humans they are. But nursing at that point is really for comfort and not for nutrition, so in all honesty, the nursing session probably wouldnt have lasted more then 5 mins Im guessing. I dont see how slipping out of the MDR would have made the mother miss her whole dinner. But at the same time, I think we all must use the rule of thumb here when it comes to things we would rather not see in the MDR (like casual dress on formal night, etc) or any place else for that matter, to just not look at something that bothers you to see. Just dont look. Its really easy, just turn your head.

Ive seen my fair share of naked people on verandas, and my favorite, false teeth/ sections of teeth in gasses of water on MDR tables durring dinner ;) classy.

If you want to forget about the passengers as you say we could turn our heads which we all did at least at my table, but what about the wait staff? You could see they were uncomfortable serving the table. They were trying to keep their composure while trying to put the plates down. Might I add while the 2 1/2 year old child was nursing the mom was eating her dinner. So where was the bonding?

I am squirming while I enjoy this thread! Cudos to the creator.

Here are my two grossest happenings, both from Celebrity ships. Now, I should note that I am huge CElebrity fan (with 10-plus cruises now completed and another in August); however, human nature can be appalling at times.

Wanting to try the late seating, even though we were in the early seating, the dining room manager kindly found us room at a table. We joined a mother-son team, or at least that's what they told us at the introduction stage. She would have been 45-50, and he would have been 17, give or take. As the night wore on -- and I do mean wore on -- my companion and I noticed that the teenaged "son" was stroking the inside of her thigh. Innocently at first, but the hand appeared to be travelling up the thigh as we started the final course. I didn't know whether to call security or child services or the guest relations. So disgusted, we left without a good-bye. Needless to say, we happily returned to our 6pm seating.

On the last Summit cruise (Dec. 2009), I found the following items floating in/on the water of the thessalotherapy pool, a pool frequented largely by older adults:

- large tufts of grey hair -- seriously big hair balls, and of varying lengths and coarseness -- no, really, and possibly from various parts of the body

- used bandages floating on the water's surface

- strangely, a single white golf tee (It's sharpness made it a dangerous, if not gross, thing to find floating in the pool).

All of these stories are true. I still have nightmares about the mother/son duo. Enjoy, I think.

Archived