What's the grossest thing you've ever seen someone do on a ship?

squidward

If you want to forget about the passengers as you say we could turn our heads which we all did at least at my table, but what about the wait staff? You could see they were uncomfortable serving the table. They were trying to keep their composure while trying to put the plates down. Might I add while the 2 1/2 year old child was nursing the mom was eating her dinner. So where was the bonding?

I have read here that there are nude cruises, so don't worry about the wait staff.

I also read a defense of the guy injecting himself at the lunch table, because he needed to do it just before he ate and if you didn't like it you could look away. That guy could have found somewhere else to do it. If he can't respect those around him, maybe he shouldn't cruise.

Using the latter's reasoning, looking away would solve most all of the issues on this thread.

Maybe the mother had to nurse when she ate...no one here has any insight into that... it's just being judgemental.

Almost all of these critiques could be called judgemental, if not bundled under 'grossest'.

I could go on, but that would be judgemental on my part.

Sasset

I find your post very insulting to people who have to inject, they don't do it for fun. You wrote and I quote

"I also read a defense of the guy injecting himself at the lunch table, because he needed to do it just before he ate and if you didn't like it you could look away. That guy could have found somewhere else to do it. If he can't respect those around him, maybe he shouldn't cruise."

Where do you suggest the person requiring the injection goes? to the toilet like a drug addict does? Where do you expect them to put the equipment they need to use whilst they do the injection? on the toilet floor?

How dare you suggest that someone with a medical condition shouldn't cruise. Maybe it is people like you who should have more respect and not stare. It is more difficult for men to inject as they wear trousers where as a lady can discretly lift her dress under the table. I guess this is the why the man had to lift his T shirt and do it in his stomach, something which would have taken seconds.

I hope I am never on a cruise with you,.

As a diabetic, but on a pump rather than injections, when your blood sugar is low, you have to inject right before or after you get your food. If there is too much of a time interval, you could be in trouble. If you did it in advance and say, could not get your food right away, this could be a problem. Sometimes you need to eat and do it right then. Being away from your own controlled environment can be a little iffy. If the sight of a needle bothers you, LOOK AWAY! Be thankful it isn't you having to depend on injections to live.

I too am a diabetic.

So lets see. You order, its delivered, you get up and go somewhere out of everyone's view, you inject, you return, you eat. Now everyone is happy.

On the last night of our 14 night cruise we were talking with our table of 8 about medical conditions and I disclosed I was on insulin. One of the party asked when I injected and I replied every night at the table. Not one of them, even the man I had sat next to for 2 weeks had ever noticed me do it. They all said they wouldn't have a problem anyway.

Once at breakfast a woman was staring at me and then wispered to her friend who also stared. After removing the needle from my leg I waved at them both. They soon looked away.

Here goes on a cruise a few years ago at second seating dinner this woman whipped out her breast for her 2 1/2 year old to step up & have a slug at the table next to us. The poor watier's did not know what to do or where to look. Mind you there was a lot of breakage with dishes & glasses being dropped!

I'm glad you posted this. I wanted to make a similar comment, but I didn't exactly consider it the grossest thing I ever saw. It definitely was very inappropriate.

On the Ruby TA this spring there was a woman nursing a child who was at least 18 months old. On the first evening I was walking through Cafe Caribe, and I saw a woman at a curved booth with the toddler on her lap. Just as I walked by she lifted up her t-shirt and started to nurse. It didn't appear that she was wearing a bra, and her entire breast was exposed. She made no effort at all to cover herself. We saw her several times over the 16 days, and she never made any effort to cover herself or be discreet in any way.

I have no problem with breastfeeding, and I agree that it's best for the baby, but I think a little discretion is nice. I'm bit suggesting they hide in a restroom or a closet, but they had a cabin she could have used for the purpose. At that age the child must be eating table food and drinking from a cup so if she was hungry there were options to satisfy her.

EXCELLENT point. I'd like to live in a world that a mother can assess what her child needs and address it within boundaries that make sense to her place in the universe.

If a screaming baby scenario, take the baby out of the MDR and consider everyone else.

If a toddler needs nursing, take the toddler out of the MDR and consider everyone else.

In both instances there is a need for the PARENT to be a adult and that includes assessing the needs of the child, the environment around you and the proper response to all. It just might mean getting up, shifting gears and giving up your chair fixed contentment to address the needs of multiple others both inside and outside of yourself and your immediate nucleus.

People need to learn that aspect of life better IMHO.

One of the best posts I have ever read and I totally agree. A baby receives immunity up to 6 months from breast feeding. After that time nutrition and dental needs begin to change. Breast feeding a child (not a baby) in public becomes exibitionist:o and makes most people very uncomfortable (JMHO).

I keep coming back to this train wreck of a thread (just can't look away:o), and I tried to resist commenting, especially on the 2 1/2 year old breastfeeding. I give up, here it is.

Personally, I don't find it to be gross, and I would have no objection. Like a lot of guys, I'm not exactly repulsed by the sight of a female breast, and it's at least being used for its natural function. In the context of breastfeeding, I've never seen an exposed breast as the least bit provocative or erotic. And as Derf points out, there are reported health benefits to continuing nursing to that age.

However, I think the rules of etiquette say that it's not polite to do things that make others uncomfortable. The web articles I looked over while looking for evidence to support my position generally encourage nursing mothers to nurse in private, or, when not practical, to use a coverup. Obviously, most people do not feel the way I do, and are offended, disturbed, or otherwise grossed out. The age of the child should have nothing to do with it, but it is highly unusual to see a child who appears capable of feeding himself or herself and asks to nurse. But it was also unusual, not so many years ago, to see people with anything but earlobes pierced and anyone other than sailors who had tattoos. About a hundred years ago, when two-piece women's swimsuits were developed, people were scandalized at the sight of normally-covered female flesh as well.

It may not now be proper etiquette, it may be offensive, it may be gross to some, but these things change over time, and someone has to instigate the change. Perhaps twenty years from now, public breastfeeding and nursing children for an extended period may be the norm.

Okay, I'm done. Someone else can use the soapbox now.

I am squirming while I enjoy this thread! Cudos to the creator.

Here are my two grossest happenings, both from Celebrity ships. Now, I should note that I am huge CElebrity fan (with 10-plus cruises now completed and another in August); however, human nature can be appalling at times.

Wanting to try the late seating, even though we were in the early seating, the dining room manager kindly found us room at a table. We joined a mother-son team, or at least that's what they told us at the introduction stage. She would have been 45-50, and he would have been 17, give or take. As the night wore on -- and I do mean wore on -- my companion and I noticed that the teenaged "son" was stroking the inside of her thigh. Innocently at first, but the hand appeared to be travelling up the thigh as we started the final course. I didn't know whether to call security or child services or the guest relations. So disgusted, we left without a good-bye. Needless to say, we happily returned to our 6pm seating.

On the last Summit cruise (Dec. 2009), I found the following items floating in/on the water of the thessalotherapy pool, a pool frequented largely by older adults:

- large tufts of grey hair -- seriously big hair balls, and of varying lengths and coarseness -- no, really, and possibly from various parts of the body

- used bandages floating on the water's surface

- strangely, a single white golf tee (It's sharpness made it a dangerous, if not gross, thing to find floating in the pool).

All of these stories are true. I still have nightmares about the mother/son duo. Enjoy, I think.

Hum... Cougar cruise??

I'm glad you posted this. I wanted to make a similar comment, but I didn't exactly consider it the grossest thing I ever saw. It definitely was very inappropriate.

On the Ruby TA this spring there was a woman nursing a child who was at least 18 months old. On the first evening I was walking through Cafe Caribe, and I saw a woman at a curved booth with the toddler on her lap. Just as I walked by she lifted up her t-shirt and started to nurse. It didn't appear that she was wearing a bra, and her entire breast was exposed. She made no effort at all to cover herself. We saw her several times over the 16 days, and she never made any effort to cover herself or be discreet in any way.

I have no problem with breastfeeding, and I agree that it's best for the baby, but I think a little discretion is nice. I'm bit suggesting they hide in a restroom or a closet, but they had a cabin she could have used for the purpose. At that age the child must be eating table food and drinking from a cup so if she was hungry there were options to satisfy her.

I know in many countries breastfeeding well into the toddler years is the norm. I am just curious, you were in a large public space on a large cruise ship, your eyes couldn't find anything else to look at?

someone sitting in the lobby flossing.

On our last cruise, as I was standing at the urinal, the guy at the urinal next to me says "I can't find it". I said: "Sorry Buddy, I'm not going to help you look"

A few seconds later he goes "Ahhh! there it is!" and proceeds to unwind a foot or so of dental floss. He then put the roll of dental floss on the back of the urinal and proceeded to floss his teeth.

So I puked all over him! Just kidding about the puke, but the rest is true.

We joined a mother-son team, or at least that's what they told us at the introduction stage. I still have nightmares about the mother/son duo.

OMG this dinner with the mom/son duo has to just about top anything else posted on this thread. Where is child protective services when you need them?

My guess is it wasn't a mother-son scenario at all and he may have been 18 or older. ;)

Sasset

I find your post very insulting to people who have to inject, they don't do it for fun. You wrote and I quote

"I also read a defense of the guy injecting himself at the lunch table, because he needed to do it just before he ate and if you didn't like it you could look away. That guy could have found somewhere else to do it. If he can't respect those around him, maybe he shouldn't cruise."

Where do you suggest the person requiring the injection goes? to the toilet like a drug addict does? Where do you expect them to put the equipment they need to use whilst they do the injection? on the toilet floor?

How dare you suggest that someone with a medical condition shouldn't cruise. Maybe it is people like you who should have more respect and not stare. It is more difficult for men to inject as they wear trousers where as a lady can discretly lift her dress under the table. I guess this is the why the man had to lift his T shirt and do it in his stomach, something which would have taken seconds.

I hope I am never on a cruise with you,.

I meant no offense. I was trying to cite the hypocracy of some of the examples in this thread. In the context of my entire post, I thought that it was clear. I guess I thought wrong. As I said, most of the 'grossness' could be ignored by looking away. Those inferring that the nursing mother should have gone elsewhere, could apply to the man needing the injection. I do think that some medical needs should be done in private out of courtesy to those around you...I'm sure that you can think of some that you wouldn't want done at or near your table, that another might think was an immediate necessity.

Thanks for overreacting though.

I know in many countries breastfeeding well into the toddler years is the norm. I am just curious, you were in a large public space on a large cruise ship, your eyes couldn't find anything else to look at?

I get a sense most people would be like me and register the event and move on mentally. I don't think there were be a whole lot of staring other than to be sure they are seeing what they think they are seeing. Probably only look for about 10-15 seconds tops to confirm the impression.

Most people know its not polite to stare.

And just because I cant help myself, Im also a type 1 diabetic, and before wearing an insulin pump, I had to do multiple injections in my stomach daily. Personally, Im sorry if you (you in general, not YOU) are offended by my keeping myself alive, but I dont much care. Sorry.

No belly flop contest either. Th epool area tends to remain quiet, except for a couple of hours when the pool band plays. Activities tend to be more of the quiet type. Things like trivia contests, cooking demonstrations, port lectures, foreign language classes, dance classes etc. are more the norm.

But obviously a lot of extracurricular entertainment.;)

Kathy

And just because I cant help myself, Im also a type 1 diabetic, and before wearing an insulin pump, I had to do multiple injections in my stomach daily. Personally, Im sorry if you (you in general, not YOU) are offended by my keeping myself alive, but I dont much care. Sorry.

I know this was not directed at me, but I want to assure you, specifically, that I would never cross anyone named Mrs.Mobster as that infers that there is a Mr. Mobster.

BTW, I had a tough time figuring out what a "pussy sore" was, but I got it :p.

Thank you, THANK YOU!:) I even Googled "pussy sore," thinking that a 70-year-old woman just did not know about these things!:D I was in the middle of my search when it dawned on me -- DUH -- we're talking about a sore with pus in it!

Kathy

Thank you, THANK YOU!:) I even Googled "pussy sore," thinking that a 70-year-old woman just did not know about these things!:D I was in the middle of my search when it dawned on me -- DUH -- we're talking about a sore with pus in it!

Kathy

:DThat has been the best one so far! Thanks for reviving it.:D

Ive seen my fair share of naked people on verandas, and my favorite, false teeth/ sections of teeth in gasses of water on MDR tables durring dinner ;) classy.

Okay.... I've been on all the same cruises as you and I do not remember seeing ANY naked people on verandas or ANY false teeth in the MDR that weren't firmly planted in mouths!?!?!?!?

Either I missed out on a lot or, you my dear, are telling tall tales...... :p

Okay.... I've been on all the same cruises as you and I do not remember seeing ANY naked people on verandas or ANY false teeth in the MDR that weren't firmly planted in mouths!?!?!?!?

Either I missed out on a lot or, you my dear, are telling tall tales...... :p

Teeth on VOS. And nakey folks all over the place ;)

Archived