Haven't flown since 2000....help!

avp1234

I have a horrible fear of flying and when 9/11 happened I said never again. Well....long story short, I'm reserved on a 737 out of Charlotte to Ft. Lauderdale in Oct. I've read the TSA website but I'm still a little confused. One qt. ziplock bag per person, under 3 oz. Can I put as much as I can get in this bag? Carry on size under 22 in. and one handbag. My handbag is hugh, is this ok? I plan on putting meds and ipod, camera etc. in it and I'm looking for my rolling 22 in. which I plan on putting clothes, cosmetics etc in. I know there is a weight limit. We are flying USAir and I see there is a charge for bags so I'm trying to just check 1 for the two of us. I've heard everyone say flying is terrible now, with the waits and security(which I don't mind), what should I expect? I also know I'm to get at the airport 2 hrs. before boarding. Do you agree? I'm going to be nervous enough just trying to get ON the plane and get through the flight so I'm trying to make it as easy as possible on me. Right now I have a noon flight and I'm thinking about changing it to a night one so it will be dark and maybe I won't think about it as much..I know...crazy! Hard to understand if it doesn't bother you. Any suggestions,tips and as much info. I can find would be much appreciated.

Following is a link to the TSA web site showing what you can bring with you in the way of liquids. You can take a one quart size zip top bag and fill it up with as many liquids that conform to the policy. Put it in an easy to reach place as you will need to take the bag at out of your carry on and place it in a bin to be checked.

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

The carry on is fine. Just be sure it is no larger than 22" including the wheels. The following shows the dimensions for the carry on .

Up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm)

A very large purse is fine or a laptop computer.

The following link shows the rules for baggage on US Airways including the carry on.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/baggage/default.html

The key is to relax and to provide adequate time for check in and to get through security. I would arrive to the airport two hours before the flight. Even more if you would like.

When you go through security you need to also remove your jacket (if you are wearing one) and your shoes and I would put all jewelry, cell phones and all other items in your carry on until you get through security. Carry your drivers license or other governement photo id in your hand along with your boarding pass.

My biggest suggestion is to arrive to the airport early and to relax as best you can. Yes, travel is more challenging but in the end if it makes everything safer we are all for it.

Also remind yourself that traveling by air is a lot safer than traveling by car.

Keith

how about asking your Dr. for a mild tranquilizer, may help calm you,,,but take it right before flight and maybe you can have a pleasant experience and calm your fears...hope it helps....PS.sure you ll do fine.....bring along books, music with earphones,etc...to pass time.....;)

I've been dealing with flight fright for years. The suggestions you've had so far are right on key.

Remember, your cosmetics may be liquid and will have to go through the screening in the zip lock bag, so either pack them in your checked bag, or get them into the zip lock. Just so you're clear, you can fill the zip lock up (as long as it will still zip), but everything in it must be in containers of 3oz or less. Check your cosmetics to make sure they fit that.

I travel with a humongous purse. It's got a nice side pocket where I keep my ID and boarding pass until I'm ready to put it on the scanner. I also keep my zip lock in the purse, handy so I can pull it out at the scanner.

I have a prescription from my doctor which seems to help. It's a mild tranquilizer which I take one hour before flying. As my doc says, it's just enough to "cool my jets";). I also try to fly first class. It just feels roomier, and the flight attendants are always busy, so that's a nice distraction. Don't know if you can afford to do that.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Just remember to take some deep breaths, and don't let anyone rush you in the security line. If they're in a hurry, let them go first. That's what I do....

Thanks so much for the responses. This is exactly what I'm wanting to know. I hadn't thought about cosmetics. Since they are in larger containers I'll pack them in my checked luggage. So... as long as anything is in my checked bag I'm ok regardless of the size of the bottle? And my checked luggage I believe can't go over 50 pds. I know my questions are trivial but alot has changed in 10 yrs. and I want to make sure I understand. I had a Dr. appt. last Tues. and mentioned this to him and he said he would give me something for the flight there and back, as I'm sure I'll need it! I'm not even sure a med would work with me....I'm that bad! I truly hate flying and the anxiety of it, but 14 hrs. is too long to drive so I'm giving it a shot.

Except for the longer security waits and the myriad of luggage restrictions, I actually find flying to be more enjoyable now than ten years ago.

Many airlines have embarked on fleet modernization programs, which means newer, more comfortable aircraft in many cases. In-seat entertainment systems are quite common now - at least here in Canada, where both Air Canada and WestJet offer in-seat movies and tv. Not sure about what US Air offers.

My fiancee gets anxious flying, and she was prescribed a mild sedative as well. It's helped her immensely, and she's gone from never wanting to set foot on an aircraft to completing a 10-hour, two connection flight to London Heathrow last summer. Amazing!

I enjoy flying, but I too experienced a period where it made me quite nervous. All you have to know is that there are two highly trained people up in the cockpit who want to get to their destination as much as you do, and that flying is still one of the safest ways to travel.

I hope you enjoy your flights - sit back in your seat and marvel at how magical the earth looks below you :)

Yes, you can pack any size bottle in your checked luggage, and, yes, it's limited to 50 lbs. There may be size limitations also, but someone else will have to speak to that. You may want to check the website for the airline you're taking, though I think for domestic flights they're all pretty much the same.

Nothing's too trivial to ask, avp1234. We've all been through the newness and have asked lots of questions. I know I have. The vast majority of us are here to help as much as we can.

Glad you talked to your doctor. I'm sure you'll do just fine. For me, the anxiety was as much fear of anxiety as it was fear of flying!:) JUst give yourself plenty of time and you'll be good to go!

Have a marvelous trip!

OP- You will be fine I'm sure. Two other things that weren't stated clearly:

At the security checkpoint you will need to remove your shoes. They go in bins along with any metal objects, coins, cell phone, purse, etc. You retrieve your shoes after they go through the Xray machine. Wear shoes you can take off and put on easily, and be aware you will have to walk in your stocking feet for 50-100 feet. The latter doesn't bother me but has major "eeew" factor for some people to the point they put on "oversocks" that they discard after security.

If you lock your checked luggage, TSA can cut the lock for inspection. Either buy a "TSA lock" which accepts a TSA master key, or don't lock your luggage. Some people use plastic "zip ties", if TSA cuts them it's a "tattle-tale".

Hope that helps, don't let your apprehension or anxiety make things even more stressful!

One qt. ziplock bag per person, under 3 oz. Can I put as much as I can get in this bag? Carry on size under 22 in. and one handbag. My handbag is hugh, is this ok? .

The TSA 3-1-1 rule for carry-ons: Liquid/gel containers must each be 3oz. or less. They must fit in a 1-quart size zip top bag. 1 bag per passenger. Additional and/or larger containers need to go in your checked bag.

As for your handbag, the airlines generally state that your rollerboard or other large carry on go in the overhead bins, and your personal item (i.e. your purse) be able to fit under the seat in front of you. As long as your purse fits under the seat in front of you, you're fine. If your purse is so huge that it won't fit there and has to go overhead, there's a chance that the airline will ask you to gate-check your rollerboard if the overhead bins fill up.

I know this sounds obvious, but even seasoned travelers sometimes might overlook this: the limits are per person, not per couple, so if your traveling companion has extra room in the ziplock, or has no carryon or personal item (purse, etc), you can share the load. I make sure I'm not the only one loaded down - DH carries some of my stuff in his bags, too, when necessary. (he truly doesn't mind stuffing his "man purse" into my turquoise LLBean beach bag and carrying it on as his "personal" item.)

We just flew from Denver to Wilmington with a layover in Charlotte. Seemed like a nice laid out airport, so hopefully it will be stress free for you. We flew USAir. I was disappointed that there was no T.V. or audio. You might want to check their site to see if they give details on the plane you're traveling on. If no audio is available, take your own. That helps my nervousness. Also choosing a seat over the wing helps. Try and avoid those dreaded seats in the back of the plane near the toilets. I would recommend that any liquids you put in your check thru baggage be enclosed in ziploc bags. My husbands aftershave leaked and although it got all over everything in the bag at least it didn't get on our clothing. Don't forget any sharp objects need to be in your checked baggage. Hope this helps. Have a great flight:)

It looks as if you have already booked your air. If so please be aware of several additional things. There are horrid change fees (from $50 +) so keep your flights.

Check your flight itineraries from time to time. Every airline changes schedules and if your connection time is altered you may have issues which the airline will most likely be glad to handle.

We do not fly US Air often but if you are using a regional jet you may have to change corridors. You can log onto the airport's web site to get a feel for your transit. If you do change corridors make sure you do not exit the secure area and have to go through TSA screening again. Charlotte is well marked but there is a lobby area in the secure area that might be busy and easily confusing.

I wish I could help ease your anxiety. I love to fly...hate the hassle...but my DH isn't as keen about boarding and our youngest is worse and I can never make him feel better about it. It sure beats driving to Florida!

That sounds good, but technically it is 3.4 ounces or less (the maximum capacity of the container, regardless of how much is left in the container).

True, it doesn't matter that that 4.5 oz. tube of toothpaste is almost empty. It still counts as over-sized.

Also, in addition to the liquids, it's safest to put anything sharp in your checked bag. If you knit, the needles are a no-no, as are craft and nail scissors (tiny ones are technically ok, but better safe than sorry).

And no lighters. A woman in front of me in Vegas had a whole "collection" of lighters taken. (what was she thinking?)

That sounds good, but technically it is 3.4 ounces or less (the maximum capacity of the container, regardless of how much is left in the container).

Well that's the US government for ya. As I stood in security this past weekend, I was actually reading the TSA poster that clearly said 3 oz. Maybe the official ruling is 3.4. Typical inconsistency!

Well that's the US government for ya. As I stood in security this past weekend, I was actually reading the TSA poster that clearly said 3 oz. Maybe the official ruling is 3.4. Typical inconsistency!

Actually if you look closely at most TSA publications, it does say 3.4 ounces (the 3 ounce just makes for a nice 3-1-1). And in fact, this is an example of the US government doing something "international" for a change. Most times we Americans are way too focused on "us" without thinking about the rest of the world. By changing the limit to 3.4 ounces years ago, it meant that containers which are 100 ml (i.e. 3.4 ounces) were OK. Many international packaging is 100 ml. I find that the US government, in this case, became very accommodating.

Actually if you look closely at most TSA publications, it does say 3.4 ounces (the 3 ounce just makes for a nice 3-1-1). And in fact, this is an example of the US government doing something "international" for a change. Most times we Americans are way too focused on "us" without thinking about the rest of the world. By changing the limit to 3.4 ounces years ago, it meant that containers which are 100 ml (i.e. 3.4 ounces) were OK. Many international packaging is 100 ml. I find that the US government, in this case, became very accommodating.

And that's great....it really does make more sense to allow 3.4/100ml. I was simply pointing out the inconsistency that exists in their pblications/posters. The poster at the security entrance at CHS clearly states "3 oz", not 3.4. I'm sure the same posters are prevalent at other airports as well.

Also, in addition to the liquids, it's safest to put anything sharp in your checked bag. If you knit, the needles are a no-no, as are craft and nail scissors (tiny ones are technically ok, but better safe than sorry).

And no lighters. A woman in front of me in Vegas had a whole "collection" of lighters taken. (what was she thinking?)

Incorrect on several counts.

Knitting needles....OK. Specifically allowed HERE.

Craft and nail scissors (if under 4 inches)....OK. Specifically allowed HERE.

Text: Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches

Lighters....OK in carryon, not checked. See HERE.

The lighter rule was changed almost 3 years ago. Text of announcement:

As of August 4, 2007, in an effort to concentrate resources on detecting explosive threats, TSA will no longer ban common lighters in carry-on luggage. Torch lighters remain banned in carry-ons.

Lifting the lighter ban is consistent with TSA's risk-based approach to aviation security. First and foremost, lighters no longer pose a significant threat. Freeing security officers up from fishing for 22,000 lighters every day (the current number surrendered daily across the country) enables them to focus more on finding explosives, using behavior recognition, conducting random screening procedures and other measures that increase complexity in the system, deterring terrorists. The U.S. is the only country in the world to ban lighters – all other nations, including Israel and the U.K., do not.

I was simply pointing out the inconsistency that exists in their pblications/posters. The poster at the security entrance at CHS clearly states "3 oz", not 3.4.
It's possible that the posters pre-date the change from 3 oz to 100 ml and they haven't been reprinted. Occam's Razor: Always head for the simplest explanation!

Incorrect on several counts.

Knitting needles....OK. Specifically allowed HERE.

Craft and nail scissors (if under 4 inches)....OK. Specifically allowed HERE.

Text: Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches

Lighters....OK in carryon, not checked. See HERE.

The lighter rule was changed almost 3 years ago. Text of announcement:

As of August 4, 2007, in an effort to concentrate resources on detecting explosive threats, TSA will no longer ban common lighters in carry-on luggage. Torch lighters remain banned in carry-ons.

Lifting the lighter ban is consistent with TSA's risk-based approach to aviation security. First and foremost, lighters no longer pose a significant threat. Freeing security officers up from fishing for 22,000 lighters every day (the current number surrendered daily across the country) enables them to focus more on finding explosives, using behavior recognition, conducting random screening procedures and other measures that increase complexity in the system, deterring terrorists. The U.S. is the only country in the world to ban lighters – all other nations, including Israel and the U.K., do not.

Thanks for the corrections, but I have seen, within the last 3 years, overzealous and/or misinformed TSA agents confiscate the items mentioned, including dull round-edged scissors and the aforementioned lighters. Regarding the lighters, perhaps it was the fact of it being an overabundance of them in one person's possession that caused an issue.

Regardless, rather than risk having to raise a stink at security, I would put anything remotely questionable in my checked luggage.

I was wondering about the 3.4/3.0 container. Alot of travel toiletries are hard to find under 3 oz. We usually drive to port so I take as much luggage as we wish, but since we are flying due to baggage costs, having to recoup luggage and risk of losing it, I am going to try to do one 22 in. carryon each and one personal item each. Is it ok if I take a large tote, such as the LL Bean tote, pretty large size, and put my hugh purse in it along with other things as my personal item? For DH, I was thinking a regular size duffle as his personal item. Also, what about medications? We have about 3 prescription bottles and take things such as aspirin, etc. Do I need to put these in a seperate ziplock? Is it ok to take an extra bottle of 1 med that I have to have in my husbands bag (all in orig. bottled and labeled), in case I lose or misplace it? Sorry for the redundant and probably "a given" questions, but I don't want to misunderstand anything and have a problem. Thank you everyone for your answers as your responses have helped me understand alot of what I have read on websites. Also, I am learning a lot of things I haven't thought of. Thanks again.

For DH, I was thinking a regular size duffle as his personal item.

What is "regular size"?? You need to give dimensions. Smaller is better if it is a "personal item."

Also, what about medications? We have about 3 prescription bottles and take things such as aspirin, etc. Do I need to put these in a seperate ziplock?

If they are liquid, gels or creams, they all must go in the same ONE ziploc as all other liquids, gels, creams, etc. If they are not such, you can put them anywhere you want.

Is it ok if I take a large tote, such as the LL Bean tote, pretty large size, and put my hugh purse in it along with other things as my personal item? For DH, I was thinking a regular size duffle as his personal item. Also, what about medications? We have about 3 prescription bottles and take things such as aspirin, etc. Do I need to put these in a seperate ziplock? Is it ok to take an extra bottle of 1 med that I have to have in my husbands bag (all in orig. bottled and labeled), in case I lose or misplace it? .

As far as the LL Bean tote and the duffle bag....since you are each planning to take a rollerboard which will have to go in the overhead bins, the airline (and the other passengers) are more or less going to expect that your personal items be of a size that can fit under the seat in front of you. If your personal item has to go overhead as well, then you are essentially taking up more than your share of the overhead bin space, which is discourteous to other pax. The airlines generally refer to "one SMALL personal item, such as a purse, computer bag or briefcase." If the tote and duffle are small enough to fit under the seat in front of you, fine. If not, then as a courtesy you should really check your rollerboards.

As for medicines, the airlines don't care if you each have each other's items in your carryons. He can carry your meds, you can carry his...they don't care. Aspirin, other pills, and anything else that is not a liquid or a gel do not have to go in a ziplock bag.

Hope that helps!

As others have stated your personal item can be large but it must fit under the seat. A 22" suitcase will not fit under the seat. The only time my personal item was questioned was on a recent US Air flight and I just mashed the bag to show the flight attendent how it would easily fit under the seat. She actually followed me to my seat where I promptly (and easily) put it under.

If the flight attendents deem your bag too large they will gate check it and send it to the belly of the plane. They will also do this when the overhead bins are full so do not leave anything of value in your 22" bags. You will not have enough time to take anything out so be prepared.

Often overlooked when considering the liquids and gels are items like lip gloss and mascara. There are some very ticky TSA agents out there and you always have to prepare for the worst of the worst.

As for the cigarette lighters, most TSA goons will limit you to two. There used to be restrictions on stick matches. I do not know if this is still the rule. Book matches are fine and can be in addition to the lighters but I don't know how many are permitted.

I have never lost knitting needles at the hands of TSA but I only travel with plastic or bamboo circular needles. So far so good. I also always have a project on the needles. Straight needles go in my checked luggage.

By the time you get to the airport you will be better educated than TSA!!!!!

Archived