Which month for best weather in Alaska?

rooben

I'm thinking about Princess to Alaska in 2011. What is the weather like in September? If this is not a good time, when is? I'm from UK and have no idea what to expect.

Hi,

Glad you are thinking about Alaska - I have been twice and its beautiful. As you are from UK, you will be used to the rain that you may get!

We went in May and the weather was very kind to us. We had some rain, some sun and some overcast skies - just like UK! Temps mainly in the low 60s generally.

The second time we went we got sunburned in Ketchikan on a very hot day - the rainy capital of the world! So you just never know what it will be like.

Take layers, a rain coat and umbrella and then you can't go wrong. It was very cold when we were at the glacier, so I had on gloves, hat and scarf as well as my coat! Other times it was layers that you could be taken off as and when it dried up / warmed up. I guess that we were very lucky with the weather both times we were there.

Hope you have a great cruise if you decide to do it. The scenery is stunning and so beautiful. The ship experience is really good too!!

We are just back and had awesome weather in the first week of June. We were warned when picking when to go about the midgies. Apparantly late July onwards they are hellish? By September we were led to believe that the chances of rain and cold was much higher.

May, June and July are peak travel periods for Alaska. September is the end of the season, and you risk it being cold and rainy. On the cruise we took to Alaska in September we actually had snow one day. The good news is that there are many fewer people, fewer tourists. The bad news is that some shops and venues are closed for the season already.

If this is to be a one-time-trip-of-a-lifetime thing, I'd really suggest May or June.

I love the end of May, first of June.

Think of the end of May having the least amount of rain and then the chances of rain increase as the season continues with mid September with the greatest chance of rain (for the season).

Though - everything is unpredictable in Alaska but I would plan on end of May/June for a cruise.

Have cruised to Alaska many many times and have many friends who have, also have relatives there. We always go at end of May, first of June. Weather is colder, but clear with lots of blue sky. When you look at the pictures of Alaska in travel brochures, most of them were taken at that time... I know, I used to take many of them. End of the season can be warmer, chance of rain and FOG... you don't want fog...you can't see those wonderful mountains...

When you look at the pictures of Alaska in travel brochures, most of them were taken at that time... I know, I used to take many of them.

On one of my May cruises - Princess sent a helicopter to take pictures of our ship while in College Fiords and Glacier Bay because it was such a beautiful day!

We went in September and had very good weather. It was sunny in Denali and we saw the mountain which is cloudy about 1/3 of the time. I think weather anywhere is luck. I've NEVER seen a rain cloud in England. That is just my luck there. Of course I've only been there 3 times for a total of about 2 weeks.

We went Sept. 8-15, 2007 and had absolutely gorgeous weather! 75 degrees everyday and not a drop of rain. The only chilly area was the Tracy Arm fjord, where we needed coat, gloves, and hat! But as soon as we left there, it was warm again.

The crew was given special permission to go out on the decks to see the glacier because it was the only time all season that the weather was nice enough to see it. So, I don't think Sept. is such a bad time to go. :)

Typically it is colder in May and Sept that is why the cruises give better prices for those months to Alaska. But, if you talk to the crew they tell you one can never guarantee anythiing in Alaska. I say dress in layers and bring an umbrella. We went end of June it was 75 in Anchorage and jeans and sweatshirt everywhere else. Daylight most of the time, which we loved.:)

that you will see from the posts from your fellow CC members...it is the "luck of the draw"...Having said that ...we have been there 4 times...twice in May, once in early June and once in mid September...and each time the weather was beautiful!! I think...during mid summer...there ae many mosquitos...and that is NOT a good thing...so I would try to avoid that time of year in Alaska!! Go when you can..and enjoy the area..it is so beautiful!! LuAnn

I think weather is mostly luck of the draw, but my TA said to go in July because the salmon are running and there is WAAAY more wildlife than other months. She was right. We saw hundreds of whales, 2 pods of orcas and every other wild animal imaginable during our 7 days in mid-July. Weather was great too although it did rain a day or so and was foggy in the inside passage. It made for some amazing shots though that I have since enlarged and hung in my office. :)

FYI, prices are highest usually the last 2 weeks of July and first week of August. I am guessing this is mostly due to demand and the fact that consistently the best weather and best wildlife viewing is during this time of the year.

Katherine

September tends to be wet and cool. My preference is the period between mid-July to mid-August as this is generally when the warmest days are. As another poster has mentioned the salmon are returning to the rivers to spawn and the bears are feeding on them.

We went the first week of September [got a two-for-one] deal. The weather was spectacular [except in Ketchikan] where the winds were so bad you couldn't walk up the steps to the ship.

No rain, no snow, picture perfect days.

Take the White Pass Railway ride......it's so much fun!

Archived