Production shows

royal65

I haven't seen much on this board about the current production shows. We haven't been on HAL in 4 years and are wondering about the themes and quality of the production shows we should see on a 12 day Westerdam criuse in Aug. Also, how do they compare to Princess? thanx

I haven't seen much on this board about the current production shows. We haven't been on HAL in 4 years and are wondering about the themes and quality of the production shows we should see on a 12 day Westerdam criuse in Aug. Also, how do they compare to Princess? thanx

Main differences between HAL and Princess in this regard is the fact that as PCL ships are larger, they have larger theaters. As the ships are wider, they also have wider theaters. As such, the stages are larger and they can have more people on the stage at one time.

The STYLE of shows that take place will be similar though

DW and I view the productions as a secondary potential experience on a cruise for two reasons: a) it is difficult to get decent seats unless one is willing to be there 30 minutes early .. b) the talent is not superb as I found on other cruise lines such as Crystal, but is reasonable to put on a decent show.

Thus we dont look forward to the productions when we sign up for a cruise - we weigh it the same as whether or not we play bridge or go to trivia. Just our view .. may not be popular.

harry

We also view the production shows as a diversion, something to do in the evenings while waiting for the disco to open. (We love dancing.) If the shows is excellent, we're pleasantly surprised. If mediocre, we shrug it off.

None of this, however, answers the OP's question. Dutch gave some specific differences between Princess & HAL, but no info about current shows as I recall. Maybe someone who has cruised in the last month will weigh in & help. Would be interested to know if the current costumes are designed by Mackie as they were in 2008.

We also view the production shows as a diversion, something to do in the evenings while waiting for the disco to open. (We love dancing.) If the shows is excellent, we're pleasantly surprised. If mediocre, we shrug it off.

None of this, however, answers the OP's question. Dutch gave some specific differences between Princess & HAL, but no info about current shows as I recall. Maybe someone who has cruised in the last month will weigh in & help. Would be interested to know if the current costumes are designed by Mackie as they were in 2008.

Yes it's still Bob Mackie, and here's a link to the post I did following my stay on Rotterdam that is specific to the entertainment

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2010/05/and-show.html

Thanks, especially to Dutch and severnseasnomad. Actually, we usually enjoy the production shows and judging by the crowds and having to get there a half hour early to get a good seat, we're not the only ones.

:confused: Is there any way to find out what the entertainment will be in advance ? We are on the Rotterdam for the 30-Day

Hawaii/Tahiti cruise next Jan. - would be easier to plan our days. Thanks so much for your great help.:)

Just completed 33 days on the Rotterdam, South Pacific/Hawaii in April 2010. There were 16 different performers including singers, comedy, magician, classical guitarist, etc.

We were a little disappointed in HAL production shows that have changed from singing and dancing to mostly singing. I believe there were six singers and two dancers.

I do not know how you can find out who will entertain ahead of time

We've found that the production shows on any of the lines we've been on to be mediocre at best. But one thing they all have in common is that they are LOUD!! Which is why we now avoid them. Once in a while we'll step in at the back of the room for a few minutes, but that's all my ears can take. They might be fun to watch if they'd turn down the volume - a lot.

I don't know the specific themes lately, but if you get the same lead performers that were on the Westerdam back in December you're in for a treat. Jonathan and Rebekah have voices that equal Broadway quality and totally dispel the stereotype of mediocre cruiseship singers!

We just got off Veendam. We loved the shows. Yes, as others have pointed out, there is more singing, less dancing. The quality of the singers last week on Veendam was exceptional. They are supported by a live orchestra. Each show has a different theme and the singing is excellent quality. On Veendam, we were able to sit at the tables in front of the stage every night, and no, we didn't show up a half hour early. They had a comedian do one show. I don't like comedians in general because most of the time they are way off color, or just plain boring. The guy on Veendam last week had us laughing to the point of losing our breath.

That being said, these were not lavish glitzy pyrotechnic extravaganzas, but they were top quality shows. Real class! Real talent.

I don't know the specific themes lately, but if you get the same lead performers that were on the Westerdam back in December you're in for a treat. Jonathan and Rebekah have voices that equal Broadway quality and totally dispel the stereotype of mediocre cruiseship singers!

I agree. Jonathan and Rebekah were the leads on our 32 day cruise on the Westerdam, April 14th. Jonathan is classically trained for Opera. I loved hearing him sing Man of La Mancha and Granada. We saw all the shows twice.

The shows were Grand Tour, Rockin' Road, Simply Broadway (just the 4 singers) and Stage and Screen.

The Jonathan and Rebekah were on 6 month contract when we joined the ship so they should be on until end of September/middle of October.

Just completed 33 days on the Rotterdam, South Pacific/Hawaii in April 2010. There were 16 different performers including singers, comedy, magician, classical guitarist, etc.

We were a little disappointed in HAL production shows that have changed from singing and dancing to mostly singing. I believe there were six singers and two dancers.

I do not know how you can find out who will entertain ahead of time

Hi There,

We were on the Amsterdam from Dec. 09 through April 2010 and the shows were disappointing. Each of the four casts during the cruise consisted of a male and a female lead singer, a male and a female singer/dancer, two male dancers and three or four female dancers.

The music was all recorded, even to the extent of the tapping of tap shoes that the dancers were not wearing. Some of the singing was also recorded.

Scott & Karen

We just got off Veendam. We loved the shows. Yes, as others have pointed out, there is more singing, less dancing. The quality of the singers last week on Veendam was exceptional. They are supported by a live orchestra. Each show has a different theme and the singing is excellent quality. On Veendam, we were able to sit at the tables in front of the stage every night, and no, we didn't show up a half hour early. They had a comedian do one show. I don't like comedians in general because most of the time they are way off color, or just plain boring. The guy on Veendam last week had us laughing to the point of losing our breath.

That being said, these were not lavish glitzy pyrotechnic extravaganzas, but they were top quality shows. Real class! Real talent.

Except for the mishmash Vegas show, I agree. Incredible voices! The shows didn't use the two dancers well, and I could have done without them. The small stage does limit the amount of "production numbers" but that's OK with me.

The orchestra on Veendam was great. It would have been a shame to back up their talented singers with pre-recorded music. If they'd had canned music and canned taps (As CaveDiving reports on Amsterdam), I'd have walked out. If you can't tap "live" don't do a tap number!

We did not find the volume in the Veendam showroom to be too loud, and I'm pretty sensitive about that. On our only Princess cruise, the show was so loud I ended up with a headache. It was also very bad (A tribute to Cole Porter in which about half the music was actually Porter!), and we did not go back for subsequent shows.

We always make it a point to attend the production show on board any cruise.

The singing and dancing is some of the best. Those young entertainers spend hours rehearsing, and it's only appropriate they get some recognition.

Hi There,

We were on the Amsterdam from Dec. 09 through April 2010 and the shows were disappointing. Each of the four casts during the cruise consisted of a male and a female lead singer, a male and a female singer/dancer, two male dancers and three or four female dancers.

The music was all recorded, even to the extent of the tapping of tap shoes that the dancers were not wearing. Some of the singing was also recorded.

Scott & Karen

I was on the 14 day Alaskan cruise on the Amsterdam in May, and unfortunately, I would have to agree with this opinion, for the most part.

The crew did try hard, but also, as the CD told us, the cast reflects the energy the audience gives back and most of the time, the room was only halfway filled, perhaps due to the nature of this spectacular itinerary where the entertainment was mostly focused on the ports and the scenery outside.

Someone new to cruising might be impressed by the shows, but for the last three years, I have been on NCL ships where they put a lot more emphasis on their entertainment.

We were interested in other cc'ers views of the entertainment on Veendam. I heard that there was opera. Is that right? DW loves opera. IS there a schedule that I can find somewhere? What times are the shows? Any other input would be appreciated. Thank you.

We attend all the production shows on all the 6 Hal cruises we have been on. We enjoy the very much. The cast works very hard to put on a good show and as far as we are concerned they do an excellent job. We also enjoy show bands, they do a great job of backup to the entertainers that come on board.

We were incredibly disappointed in the lack of production shows on our last cruise. The new "showroom at sea" idea was terrible. Gone are the cool sets, singing and dancing. In their place was 4 singers singing. No different than the regular vocal entertainment they hire on. I miss the full out productions shows. I used to love to go them, last cruise I went to two and walked out on one of them. They are just not the same.

We were incredibly disappointed in the lack of production shows on our last cruise. The new "showroom at sea" idea was terrible. Gone are the cool sets, singing and dancing. In their place was 4 singers singing. No different than the regular vocal entertainment they hire on. I miss the full out productions shows. I used to love to go them, last cruise I went to two and walked out on one of them. They are just not the same.

That's too bad! I have my first HAL cruise planned, it's only a 4 day. I hope there are some full productions shows. To me it isn't a show unless there are dancers.

We were interested in other cc'ers views of the entertainment on Veendam. I heard that there was opera. Is that right? DW loves opera. IS there a schedule that I can find somewhere? What times are the shows? Any other input would be appreciated. Thank you.

We loved the shows on the Veendam, and the Showroom at Sea worked nicely for us. We had seats right at a table right in front of the stage every night for what seemed to be a personal performance.

It wasn't opera, but on the final night the show had the best singers. The guy from New Orleans, I forgot his name, was excellent. He sang Nessun Dorma quite well, actually. And they sang other songs of similar quality. That may be where the opera comments have come from.

The shows were quite good.

My daughter, Casey, is currently in rehearsals to board the Westerdam as the lead female singer. She and her male counterpart, Kevin will be taking over for Jonathan and Rebeccah as of the August 1st sailing. I did confirm with her that the 4 shows previously stated by someone else were still the shows - Grand Tour, Stage and Screen... etc. If you have any other specific productin show questions about the Westerdam I'd be happy to throw them her way. This is her first cruise show production (she has done mainly NYC musical theater) and she is very excited to be joinign the Holland America family!!

Archived