Mariner's D Class Balconies

We've only booked the E class balconies. Besides more room, how does the D class vary from the E class? What's your opinion as to whether the few extra bucks is worth it & why or why not?

In the 360 degree version, it looks like the TV is on the same wall as the bed. Does it swivel, or can two people not view the TV well from the bed - would not like that at all!

Booked cabin #8336 (D2). Besides slightly larger, is the balcony the same as the E category - glass see thru, no obstructions?

Is the bath larger? Shower larger? Does the shower have doors (like the Independence) or curtain (the doors are so nice)? Is there a tub?

Any other differences?

Thanks in advance.

The bathrooms are the same size in every catagory, until you hit the JS's....then, they get larger. Only JS's and above have tubs.

The D does give you more cabin space...the balcony will be VERY similar....actually, a few sq. ft. smaller, to accomodate the larger cabin.

Neither cabin is large enough to worry about "swiveling" the TV...you'll be able to see it from both bed and sitting area.

I prefer more cabin space...it's nice for 2 adults to be able to stand and move at the same time! On the balcony, you are pretty much "stationary"....sitting or standing at the rail.

If the price is not a lot more, I'd always take a D over an E cabin. THere is a full sized sofa in D's compared to the love seat in E's. No problem watching TV from the bed. The extra few sq. feet, however, is the only advantage. You still have a tiny bathroom!

OP thanks for starting this. Just today I booked my first Mariner cruise for November and booked a D1. I have only done two RCI cruises and both were many years ago on the Monarch.

We are far from beginner cruisers and have been to the Mexican Riviera more times than I can count on two hands so the only thing new will be the ship.

I am looking forward to reading everything I can about the Mariner :)

• 4 weeks later...

The D does give you more cabin space...the balcony will be VERY similar....actually, a few sq. ft. smaller, to accomodate the larger cabin.

According to the deck plans, the balcony for the D cabin is 50 sq. feet and is 47 sq. feet for the E category. So it looks like the balcony on the D is a little bit bigger as well.

I was trying to decide between a hump E cabin and a D cabin for my December Explorer cruise. It came down to a choice between cabin size and location and I finally decided that I would give up the hump for the bigger cabin. I still wonder if I should switch back. It's a tough call.

The absolute BEST D1s on Mariner are the aft corner cabins on Deck 10...1388 and 1688. They are HUGE, bigger than any JS, with a huge balcony that is partially covered and partially open. If you can ever luck into booking one of those, GRAB IT. They are also known as the "pole rooms" due to a structure supporting pole that goes through the center of the room. :D

Archived