Dry cleaning a ball gown

berlingo

My daughter has just decided to take her Prom Dress to wear on our cruise but it is looking a bit grubby.

It is a long, heavy sateen, lined frock and I am wondering whether to get it cleaned before we go or wait until we are on board. I was thinking if we had it cleaned whilst on board it would save on creasing it during our journey to the ship and also may be cheaper. We are in a mini suite and not elite.

We are on the Grand for 7 nights from July 3rd so we are running out of time. The other factor is I am not sure when our formal nights will be as our first day is not a sea day and whether the dress would be back to us in time.

I would welcome peoples thoughts.

Many thanks Julia:)

Personally, I would try to talk her into something a bit lighter and easier to pack. We have seen very few 'ball gowns' onboard, or even 'prom dresses' as far as that goes. But I agree with Colo, I would not leave it up to the ship to take care of this if you can't talk her out of it, I would do it before I left.

Hi,

Personally I've never had a problem with the dry cleaning service on board - use it every time we go for my evening dress, other half's DJ - no problems at all. My packing skills are so useless its the only real option for me! Im on the Grand on the 3rd as well, and my daughter is planning on taking her Satin prom dress, will get it cleaned on board and just hope!

My daughters always bring their prom gowns and sweet 16 gowns, and they most definitely aren't the only ones! It's a great opportunity for them to wear something they wouldn't ordinarily have a chance to wear more than once. People always comment, we get great photos, and they feel like the belles of the ball! It is well-worth it!

We have them cleaned at home, and then gently fold them over into the suitcase, still on the hanger and wrapped in cleaner's celephane. They travel pretty well (no wrinkles)...yes, they take up room in the suitcase, but we are a family of 4 and even with the gowns and all the other overpacking I do, we still fit everything into 4 suitcases (one per person) with room to spare.

Because of a time constraint, I could not get an evening dress done before we left for our honeymoon cruise on the Norweigan Sun in June 2002. I was so worried because it had a black stain by the neckline and I was worried that it might not come out. In the end, the ship's service did a fantastic job on it (better than our normal dry cleaner's and quicker!) The dress looked beautiful--as good as new! I would definitely trust the ship's cleaners.

Kim

We've never had an issue with the dry cleaning services on board. However, it would depend on how ornate her gown is, though, if you want to chance getting it done once on board. Does it have alot of beading, sequins, etc? We have just had 'ordinary' things done like DH's tux, some sweaters, sports coats, slacks - things like that. I know I have taken a rather expensive lined taffeta evening jacket with a beaded trim on a couple of cruises and wouldn't dream of having it dry cleaned on board. I only have 2 cleaners here in town that I would trust to clean it!

How special that your daughter is so excited about "Formal Night!" I'm sure she will be just beautiful in whatever she decides to bring. :)

I'd take something slinky, sexy, (she's young, she can pull it off!) and easy to pack...that sounds like something for a coronation! "Formal" doesn't HAVE to be a big ole' ballgown...an evening gown is more than appropriate! And easy to pack...doesn't wrinkle!

As you can see from these posts, the dry cleaning service on Princess ships can be too hit and miss to entrust them with any of your really special clothes. My own experience has shown me that sometimes it has been great and sometimes it has been terrible with both extremes occurring on the very same cruise.

Personally, I would try to talk her into something a bit lighter and easier to pack. We have seen very few 'ball gowns' onboard, or even 'prom dresses' as far as that goes. But I agree with Colo, I would not leave it up to the ship to take care of this if you can't talk her out of it, I would do it before I left.

I would second this. While it's great to get a second use from a gown, the packing space/weight will cut down on what she will be able to take for other evenings and day wear.

I've only take cocktail length dresses for years now.

That gives me a thought...can she have the gown shortened?

I love my gowns and would not cruise without them, regardless of how much space they take up. A couple of tips, though:

1) Princess "dry cleaning" is a different process than most dry cleaners I've used. I usually take my gowns to a dry cleaner that specializes in wedding gowns.

2) A gown in a soft suit bag comes out far less wrinkled than one in a suitcase, and a soft suit bag is much lighter so you can usually stuff it to the max and still not be over weight for the flight.

3) Use the dry cleaning bag the gown comes back in and put the whole thing in the suit bag, folding the trailing end of the gown up into the bag. Once on the ship, hang it on the bathroom door when you shower and the few wrinkes it gets should fall out.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much for all your helpful comments.

We are in the fortunate position of being able to drive to our cruise so do not have to worry about luggage weight allowances- although we do still have to fit all the cases in the car!

We do love to dress up and noticed on our previous cruise how lovely the young girls looked in their ball gowns. This time both our daughters would like to join in the fun! I agree that when one does not have the opportunity to do this at home it is great to do it on your cruise holiday. It is nice to hear they will not be the only ones dolled up:)

I am leaning towards having the frock cleaned on board due to the short amount of time I have left to get it done whilst we are still at home. I have decided to do some minor alterations to the frock. I say minor but they are major to me, as I am not the worlds best seamstress and these are taking some time to do. Having the dress shortened may well be a very good long term solution but again time will not allow this for this cruise.

Although willing to take our chances with the on board cleaning I am still concerned about whether it will be back in time for the first formal night. What with only being on a 7 night cruise and the first day not being a sea day I do not have any idea when the formal night is likely to be- any ideas? Would you think I would be able to give the gown to our Steward as soon as we get on board? Would it have a chance of being ready in time?

Any further thoughts very much appreciate.

Many thanks Julia:)

Berlingo:

Formal nights are usually held on the "sea days " - looks like on your cruise those will on July 5 and July 9. You should have plenty of time to get the dressed cleaned on board and returned to you before the first formal night.

Have a fabulous cruise! :D

I would not chance it to the laundry service onboard. I've sent many things out that come back full of lint and something that looks like dog hair (we don't have pets, so I don't know where this comes from). They often come back a little wrinkled too. With something as nice as a prom dress, I'd get it dry cleaned at home by a cleaners that you know & trust. ;)

Archived