Flight from Fort Lauderdale ?

cruzincanuck

I am in midst of looking for flights for our cruise next January. We will be arriving back to the port of Fort Lauderdale on a Monday and I was wondering if we would be Ok with a 12:15 flight. I suspect that we would be OK however I am wondering about disembarcation and early morning traffic.

That should be fine. The port and airport are real close. While sometimes ships arrive late and/or are delayed in clearing customs, a 12:15pm flights gives you a couple of hours of wiggle room for delays, so barring something highly unusual you would make your flight. Most people would be comfortable booking that flight.

That should be fine. The port and airport are real close. While sometimes ships arrive late and/or are delayed in clearing customs, a 12:15pm flights gives you a couple of hours of wiggle room for delays, so barring something highly unusual you would make your flight. Most people would be comfortable booking that flight.

Ditto:)

I am in midst of looking for flights for our cruise next January. We will be arriving back to the port of Fort Lauderdale on a Monday and I was wondering if we would be Ok with a 12:15 flight. I suspect that we would be OK however I am wondering about disembarcation and early morning traffic.

You should be fine:) the port and airport are quite close to each other.

I agree; there are plenty of taxis lined up at the terminal that will get you to the airport very quickly. We did see very long lines at SW on our return last November (our flight wasn't until 1 p.m.) but there weren't lines for Air tran. Sometimes it can take a while to get through security as FLL is a fairly small airport.

I would definitely request the earliest debarkation (ask at Guest Relations) and you should be fine.

I usually err on the side of caution, but not in this case. With the airport a very short taxi ride away, my guess is that you will be bored sitting around the airport waiting for boarding. The only way this wouldn't happen would be a major problem with weather or immigration.

It's the pain in the neck here. ship recommends after 12:30. you should be ok, but :( our last cruise coming back from Fort Lauderdale, there were only two customs officers so everything was backlogged. :eek: It was very long. but it is a short hop to the airport, so, if I were you, I would elect that awful early disembarkation time to be safe.

I assume you are flying Air Canada?? don't forget they want you there a long time before...make sure you can do it, cause they can be miserable.

We're arriving home late, because I was too chicken to take that earlier flight and we had to connect in Montreal or Toronto anyways, so we would have been waiting in the airport or eating breakfast on HAL. Big choice :)

good luck and enjoy your cruise

I always book flights after 1:00. I am also a bit intimidated by the number of pax on the Oasis. You will be joined at the airport by the other 6,000 pax from the Oasis along with the other 2100 pax from the Eurodam. The Airport in Ft Lauderdale is smaller and not all that efficient. Along with the fact you seem to be flying international. I would not be comfortable with a 12:15 flight, but that is just my opinion.

It's the pain in the neck here. ship recommends after 12:30. you should be ok, but :( our last cruise coming back from Fort Lauderdale, there were only two customs officers so everything was backlogged. :eek: It was very long. but it is a short hop to the airport, so, if I were you, I would elect that awful early disembarkation time to be safe.

I assume you are flying Air Canada?? don't forget they want you there a long time before...make sure you can do it, cause they can be miserable.

We're arriving home late, because I was too chicken to take that earlier flight and we had to connect in Montreal or Toronto anyways, so we would have been waiting in the airport or eating breakfast on HAL. Big choice :)

good luck and enjoy your cruise

Your are correct. Looking at Air Canada. Got to admit that I am a little chicken too !!

I always book flights after 1:00. I am also a bit intimidated by the number of pax on the Oasis. You will be joined at the airport by the other 6' date='000 pax from the Oasis along with the other 2100 pax from the Eurodam. The Airport in Ft Lauderdale is smaller and not all that efficient. Along with the fact you seem to be flying international. I would not be comfortable with a 12:15 flight, but that is just my opinion.[/quote']

We will be on the Equinox that arrives on Monday so the zoo at the airport from the Oasis and Allure on the weekend should be over.

We were on the Oasis this past January and our flight was at 4:15 PM so we were not stressed but I did not pay attention to traffic nor the distance to the airport.

Thanks Kazu and Kevin's girl :D

To Cruzincanuck

We have been in and out of the Port in Fort Lauderdale on numerous ocassions as we live in Palm Beach County. Before disembarking you give the cruiseline your flight informtion and you are scheduled to get off according to that. The ship usually docks between 6 and 7. If you elect to do walkoff you have to be in the waiting lounge around 6:45am, then wait for your luggage and go through customs. Walkoffs are the first to get off. Most locals do this. If you are taking the transportation from the port to the airport with the cruiseline you should be fine, you will be one of the first off, I would call them to check. If not, my suggestion is to rather find a flight slightly later around 2 pm because you are supposed to be at least 1 1/2 hrs at the airport before the flight. Personally I would rather not have to worry, take a 2pm flight and have a coffee or lunch at the airport. I don't know where you are flying to, so some cities have more frequent flights than others. Hope this information helps.

IMO unless something unusual happens, you should not have an issue. Monday should make it even better. I always check to see how many ships on in port for the day to give me a sense of how busy the port will be.

Once you decide, relax and enjoy your cruise.

Just got off Solstice on Sunday (6/27). Departed the ship at 0738. Grabbed our bags from the section and got into the customs and immigration line. The line moved pretty quick. We had prepaid our shuttle (KAS) (through the hotel) and it arrived through the pickup area about 1 minute after we exited the terminal. He picked up several passengers (maybe 10 or so) and dropped of airport passengers first. We processed through the Check-In and Security and we were at the departure gate at 0828.

We had an 1110 flight that was delayed until 1155. So I'd say unless there are problems (which are impossible to predict) you should have no problem catching that flight.

We also disembarked the Solstice in Ft Lauderdale this Sunday.

People were disembarking shortly after 7 am scheduled arrival time but we ate breakfast and disembarked at our assigned time of 8:10 am. We did not rush at all. We claimed our bags, went through customs, caught a taxi, checked our bags and went through airport security and were at our gate by 9:00 am, less than 50 minutes door to door.

I would book the 12:15 pm flight without hesitation.

Archived