Kindle2 on Cruise

Lynda90

Thanks to this thread - I finally ordered my Kindle wifi/3g! I was going to buy it at Target, but they are all sold out here. Actually, it's better that I ordered it. No sales tax at Amazon.com and free shipping. So I saved a few bucks on tax. Also ordered the cover with the built-in light. Should have it in about a week or so... in plenty of time for my Tahiti cruise (I leave for Tahiti on Oct 31).

Great thread! Thanks Lynda90 for starting this!

Thanks to this thread - I finally ordered my Kindle wifi/3g! I was going to buy it at Target, but they are all sold out here. Actually, it's better that I ordered it. No sales tax at Amazon.com

Bummer for me. They charged me sales tax :(

Question for any of you who have received the new Kindle 3 cover with built-in light. When you attached your Kindle to the cover, is there about a one inch gap between Kindle and back cover? It doesn't look right to me, but I can't figure out how else it could be attached. The gold prongs are properly in place. Thanks!

Question for any of you who have received the new Kindle 3 cover with built-in light. When you attached your Kindle to the cover, is there about a one inch gap between Kindle and back cover? It doesn't look right to me, but I can't figure out how else it could be attached. The gold prongs are properly in place. Thanks!

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow... I'll see how mine fits..

Have over 50 books on my Kindle and haven't as yet spent a penny! :p

I have almost 200 free books on my Kindle 1. I LOVE that there are free books galore. Although I read fairly quickly, it will take me a good long time to read everything I already have!

When I see a new free book on Amazon I click on it, but I don't turn the whispernet on to add them now since I already HAVE 17 pages of books on the device. I know those books are waiting for me in my archive any time I want to download them, though!

By the way, I bought a clip on light at the dollar store that I took with me on our last cruise. It worked fine. I don't need it at home so I can't see spending a lot of money for one at this time.

- Sharon -

I havent read all the pages but is anyone on this thread from Canada. I am interested in purchasing the new Kindle, however I cannot seem to get a straight answer from Amazon in regards to questions I have asked.

Everything seems well supported if you live in the USA but do the same rules apply if you live in Canada = free WIFI = is the accessibility as good as in the USA etc.

Help someone as I really would like to purchase the Kindle but am afraid that I wont get the same service etc due to where I live.

My Kindle arrived yesterday and when I put it in the cover with built-in light, it lies flush with the back cover - it's so snug I can only put the tip of my finger in on the right edge. Have the gold prongs been bent forward on yours? Mine are parallel to the back cover and sit out about a quarter of an inch - just the width needed for the Kindle to lie flat.

My Kindle arrived yesterday and when I put it in the cover with built-in light, it lies flush with the back cover - it's so snug I can only put the tip of my finger in on the right edge. Have the gold prongs been bent forward on yours? Mine are parallel to the back cover and sit out about a quarter of an inch - just the width needed for the Kindle to lie flat.

I took a hammer and lowered each gold prong just a little and now it fits just fine--nice and snug. Happy it was a quick fix! :p

When I see a new free book on Amazon I click on it, but I don't turn the whispernet on to add them now since I already HAVE 17 pages of books on the device. I know those books are waiting for me in my archive any time I want to download them, though!

- Sharon -

So, you just click on a book to archive it? I'm guessing that these are the free books only. How do you archive books that are already on the Kindle? I couldn't find that info anywhere. One place said to delete them. Does that archive them?

I get my case in a day or two so am anxious to see if my Kindle fits it.

Joan

I took a hammer and lowered each gold prong just a little and now it fits just fine--nice and snug. Happy it was a quick fix! :p

I just put my new kindle in the cover. It was tougher than I thought it would be, but I finally managed to get it coaxed in.

I can't see how to turn off 3G anywhere for the airplane. It says you can turn off Whispernet, and that will turn off 3G, but I can't figure out how to do that. I can turn wireless off, but I'm not sure that's the same thing??

Books bought through Amazon are stored on Amazon's servers to be retrieved if you delete them off the Kindle. They show up in the "archives" section of the Home screen.

Free books that you get through Amazon are also archived. If you get a book elsewhere, free or paid (there are many sources for free Amazon books including Project Gutenberg and http://mnybks.net) you may want to back them up to your PC for later retrieval since they aren't stored on Amazon and wont show up in the archive.

To remove a book from the Kindle, highlight the book title on the home page and press the cursor to the left. For a book that will appear in the archive you'll see "Remove from Device"; for a book that won't appear in the archive you'll see "Delete" and you'll get an "Are you sure?" warning.

I just put my new kindle in the cover. It was tougher than I thought it would be, but I finally managed to get it coaxed in.

I can't see how to turn off 3G anywhere for the airplane. It says you can turn off Whispernet, and that will turn off 3G, but I can't figure out how to do that. I can turn wireless off, but I'm not sure that's the same thing??

Turning off the wireless is the same as turning off Whispernet/3G.

Books bought through Amazon are stored on Amazon's servers to be retrieved if you delete them off the Kindle. They show up in the "archives" section of the Home screen.

Free books that you get through Amazon are also archived. If you get a book elsewhere, free or paid (there are many sources for free Amazon books including Project Gutenberg and http://mnybks.net) you may want to back them up to your PC for later retrieval since they aren't stored on Amazon and wont show up in the archive.

To remove a book from the Kindle, highlight the book title on the home page and press the cursor to the left. For a book that will appear in the archive you'll see "Remove from Device"; for a book that won't appear in the archive you'll see "Delete" and you'll get an "Are you sure?" warning.

The only way to permantly delete them is to actually go to Amazon.com and log in to your account under Manage My Kindle. You can do all sorts of neat stuff there. Check it out if you haven't yet.

I havent read all the pages but is anyone on this thread from Canada. I am interested in purchasing the new Kindle, however I cannot seem to get a straight answer from Amazon in regards to questions I have asked.

Everything seems well supported if you live in the USA but do the same rules apply if you live in Canada = free WIFI = is the accessibility as good as in the USA etc.

Help someone as I really would like to purchase the Kindle but am afraid that I wont get the same service etc due to where I live.

Fluffy Terry,

There is a great Kindle site that may give you all the answers you are looking for :

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1129440

I was asking similar questions and was pleased with the responses.

Archived