Kindle2 on Cruise

Lynda90

There is so much great information on this site. Thank you all for posting. I know that I will purchase a Kindle before our next cruise in November. My dilemma is that prices seem to be coming down since the introduction of competititive products. Does anyone feel that there will be specials or reduced prices as the holiday approach? :confused:

I'm not sure about a holiday sale. I'm quite pleased with the current $139 price. I'm looking forward to August 27th when my new Kindle will ship. If you want to follow pricing I recommend heading over to slickdeals.net. If you use the search function you'll find a few active discussions.

OK. Thanks Underwatr. That would mean that I would definitely want to get a Kindle with the 3G then. Correct?
Yes, if you know you have a good AT&T cellular signal.

Another way to get books into your Kindle (works with any Kindle) is to download to a PC and then copy over to the Kindle.

There is so much great information on this site. Thank you all for posting. I know that I will purchase a Kindle before our next cruise in November. My dilemma is that prices seem to be coming down since the introduction of competititive products. Does anyone feel that there will be specials or reduced prices as the holiday approach? :confused:

Considering I paid $289 in July of last year and then paid $259 for my husband's global in November, I consider $139 dirt cheap.

I got my Kindle 2 about a year ago. I'm looking at getting my Mom one for her birthday, but I don't understand the difference between the two that are offered now (one is $139 and one is $189). The one I have allows me to download books from just about anywhere (the beach, the car, the house, etc.). I'm guessing it's comparable to the one that's now selling for $139? I don't need anything fancy for my Mom...she will just be downloading books to read, so which one would I order for her?

Jo-Ann

The one you have now is more or less comparable to the $189 one.

The one you have now has cellular (3G) but not WiFi. The $189 one has cellular and Wifi. The $139 one has WiFi but not cellular.

The WiFi one is good for people who have a WiFi wirelss network at home and don't need to get books when they're out and about.

Assuming your mom doesn't have a WiFi network at home she should have the $189 one.

I've read (it may just be gossip or made up...don't know) that one day the readers will be free just for signing up for a book club type of deal. That does sound reasonable to me, but we'll have to wait and see.

I've been wanting an e-reader for several years, but the price just seems so high to me. The drop to $139 (sans 3G) is where I finally decided to buy and I won't look back from here.

Prices may drop again by Christmas, you just never know. I think you have to make your decision based on desire, not so much price. If you want one for an upcoming cruise, then get it. If you want to wait for prices to come down, you may end up with a better deal in the long run.

Edit to add, my sis got hers a year and a half ago, paid $359 for the one now going for $189, she's not happy about it, but has read over 100 books on it so far.

Just realized how cheap I sounded:( While I do look for the best prices on non-necessity items, I do think that the Kindle price of $189 is good (unless they reduce it again). I want to purchase it before our November 12th cruise -- so I am not in a rush and just received 15 regular books in the mail. If I ordered the Kindle now, I'd never read the "real" books. The information provided on this thread has been wonderful -- thank you:)

Just realized how cheap I sounded:( While I do look for the best prices on non-necessity items, I do think that the Kindle price of $189 is good (unless they reduce it again). I want to purchase it before our November 12th cruise -- so I am not in a rush and just received 15 regular books in the mail. If I ordered the Kindle now, I'd never read the "real" books. The information provided on this thread has been wonderful -- thank you:)

Please be advised the Kindle 2 and the new $139 model are all back ordered now. Not that you could not get it by November, but if you want it in advance.

I ordered mine 2 days ago (the $139 model) and the ship date is approximately September 7, so I figure I'll have it by September 15th.

I've read (it may just be gossip or made up...don't know) that one day the readers will be free just for signing up for a book club type of deal. That does sound reasonable to me, but we'll have to wait and see.

I've been wanting an e-reader for several years, but the price just seems so high to me. The drop to $139 (sans 3G) is where I finally decided to buy and I won't look back from here.

Prices may drop again by Christmas, you just never know. I think you have to make your decision based on desire, not so much price. If you want one for an upcoming cruise, then get it. If you want to wait for prices to come down, you may end up with a better deal in the long run.

Edit to add, my sis got hers a year and a half ago, paid $359 for the one now going for $189, she's not happy about it, but has read over 100 books on it so far.

Correction. She paid $359 for one now selling for $139. There was no cellular option when she bought hers, nor was there last year when I bought mine.

Correction. She paid $359 for one now selling for $139. There was no cellular option when she bought hers, nor was there last year when I bought mine.

Well, I know that she can download from wherever she is. Perhaps her worksite has WiFi?

Well, I know that she can download from wherever she is. Perhaps her worksite has WiFi?

She can download from anywhere in the U.S. either from the Amazon site or directly from her Kindle. She does not have the global access which arrived late last year and which my husband has and I do not.

Please be advised the Kindle 2 and the new $139 model are all back ordered now. Not that you could not get it by November, but if you want it in advance.

I ordered mine 2 days ago (the $139 model) and the ship date is approximately September 7, so I figure I'll have it by September 15th.

Thanks for the heads up on the back orders. Think I should order it soon:)

Midway through the Kindle 2 production they changed them from Sprint cellular network access (available in the US only) to AT&T cellular network access (available in most of the world). Until the $139 K3, all Kindles had cellular access. What's been added is WiFi connectivity.

• 1 month later...

I have used my Kindle to go online to check my email(gmail) and FB as well as news sites etc all over the world and on cruiseships (RCCL)for NO CHARGE. It is a great feature and I am surprised how many Kindle owners and Cruisers have no idea about this feature!

I have used my Kindle to go online to check my email(gmail) and FB as well as news sites etc all over the world and on cruiseships (RCCL)for NO CHARGE. It is a great feature and I am surprised how many Kindle owners and Cruisers have no idea about this feature!

Tell me how.

First of all...my Kindle is the BEST gift my husband ever got for me. I LOVE IT IT!!!

As far as a case, I just have the standard leather cover that folds over it like a book. (Sometime it gives you that real book feeling). When I go on cruises or to the beach, I simply wrap it in plastic wrap to protect it from water and sand, just in case.

I hope that helps!!!:D

If you're close enough to shore to pick up a cellphone signal (AT&T or whomever they partner with for roaming in that particular location) 3G access is pretty much automatic. I didn't have any luck connecting to the shipboard cellphone system with my Kindle on the Queen Mary 2 - but I didn't expect to.

I too bought my Kindle when it was more expensive, but I wouldn't live without it now. I take it everywhere with me, even read while waiting in line at the bank! It is so compact and there are sooo many books available. It leaves more space in my suitcase for souvenirs! My husband and I tried to share one on trips and I finally got him his own. It's been on the beach and the decks and in the room. I would never go on a trip without it.

I am giving on to my wife on her Birthday this week. So will have to let you know. She has hard time letting go of her real books but last trip it got so heavy taking them she said she had to try a Kindle. Also, many of her friends and reading group are now using the Kindle. The new one looks really good. My only worry is you can't go into the pool and leave the Kindle on your seat.... I have lost a few books this way.. but sure would not want to lose a $189 Kindle. Hope this helps.

The guardian m-edge kindle case is waterproof for the pool area (not sure if available for the newest version. You can clip the case strap to a chair with a mini padlock (sure someone can open all 4 clips on the case but that will take a little bit increasing the odds of someone noticing).

I am giving on to my wife on her Birthday this week. So will have to let you know. She has hard time letting go of her real books but last trip it got so heavy taking them she said she had to try a Kindle. Also, many of her friends and reading group are now using the Kindle. The new one looks really good. My only worry is you can't go into the pool and leave the Kindle on your seat.... I have lost a few books this way.. but sure would not want to lose a $189 Kindle. Hope this helps.

I think I've read all the posts on this thread (great info!!), but I'm not sure which way to go.

Can someone tell me the differences between the Kindle and the Nook?

With the 3G, is there a monthly (or otherwise) data access fee, or is the 3g signal really 100% free?

I've been tempted to get one of these instead of packing a bunch of books on our next cruise. Sounds like it's worth it.

Archived