Kindle2 on Cruise

Lynda90

Here's the step by step for older Kindle models to connect to the internet - be warned that it is slow and the display is sometimes really weird - is free though, where you can get signal. YMMV if you have one of the newer ones - mine is a bit over a year old now:

1. From 'Home' screen, press Menu

2. From Menu, go to 'Experimental'

3. From 'Experimental' go to Launch Browser

4. Then go to "Enter URL"

5. Type in your email carrier (eg. www.aol.com)and press button for 'go to'

6. Wait, wait, wait....(told you it was slow...)

7. Use annoying tiny square thingee to try and navigate page to 'Sign in' enter your login and pw and wait some more

8. Read your email and/or use tiny keys to respond....

The only really nice thing about this is that it is free, and, it seems to keep your login info and automatically send you there once you finally get it in. - Pia - Dee showed me how and uses it all the time, but I find it slow and annoying (which probably you can tell from the above) and not worth messing with as long as you have minutes to spare. Quite frankly, I would rather pay the ship and/or go to a shore side internet cafe than mess with myself, although I love my Kindle for reading and carrying what would otherwise be a lot of extra weight in my luggage!

Note that this will only work where the Kindle can receive a data signal either 3G or wifi (newer kindles only). It will generally NOT work over the cell at sea roaming networks or the ship wi-fi which requires a login and internet package. Works fine in port however and is free for most international uses.

Here's the step by step for older Kindle models to connect to the internet - be warned that it is slow and the display is sometimes really weird - is free though, where you can get signal. YMMV if you have one of the newer ones - mine is a bit over a year old now:

1. From 'Home' screen, press Menu

2. From Menu, go to 'Experimental'

3. From 'Experimental' go to Launch Browser

4. Then go to "Enter URL"

5. Type in your email carrier (eg. www.aol.com)and press button for 'go to'

6. Wait, wait, wait....(told you it was slow...)

7. Use annoying tiny square thingee to try and navigate page to 'Sign in' enter your login and pw and wait some more

8. Read your email and/or use tiny keys to respond....

The only really nice thing about this is that it is free, and, it seems to keep your login info and automatically send you there once you finally get it in. - Pia - Dee showed me how and uses it all the time, but I find it slow and annoying (which probably you can tell from the above) and not worth messing with as long as you have minutes to spare. Quite frankly, I would rather pay the ship and/or go to a shore side internet cafe than mess with myself, although I love my Kindle for reading and carrying what would otherwise be a lot of extra weight in my luggage!

Final caveat: If you have blog, newspaper or magazine subscriptions, you must agree to an additional $4.95/week charge to receive the subscriptions via 3G when outside of the U.S. Upon first activating 3G in Canada I received a Kindle document in my Home screen with instructions on how to agree to the charge and receive my subscriptions (I declined).

The $4.95 is a single weekly charge to receive all of your subscriptions. I was told that the images would be stripped out of the subscription issues delivered when outside the US.

Web access was provided with no charge, however.

I have used my Kindle to go online to check my email(gmail) and FB as well as news sites etc all over the world and on cruiseships (RCCL)for NO CHARGE. It is a great feature and I am surprised how many Kindle owners and Cruisers have no idea about this feature!

I knew it could be done, but I tried it and I can't figure out how to do it. I'd love to be able to.

I just found your directions. I've copied them and printed them out to take with me. Thanks for telling us about this.

Karen

Final caveat: If you have blog, newspaper or magazine subscriptions, you must agree to an additional $4.95/week charge to receive the subscriptions via 3G when outside of the U.S. Upon first activating 3G in Canada I received a Kindle document in my Home screen with instructions on how to agree to the charge and receive my subscriptions (I declined).

The $4.95 is a single weekly charge to receive all of your subscriptions. I was told that the images would be stripped out of the subscription issues delivered when outside the US.

Web access was provided with no charge, however.

Hi Underwatr,

Thanks for so much wonderful info on Kindles... you have really whet my appetite! One question though.... Do you know if it makes a difference if you bought it in Canada? And subscribe to a Canadian wifi? Or could you just piggyback on an AOL or ATT when sailing around or from the US?

Thanks so much!

HNLGAL

If you have the intl 3G version it should not matter. Amazon has a global agreement. If you have the wifi only version you can not use 3G services anywhere and must find a hot spot.

Hi Underwatr,

Thanks for so much wonderful info on Kindles... you have really whet my appetite! One question though.... Do you know if it makes a difference if you bought it in Canada? And subscribe to a Canadian wifi? Or could you just piggyback on an AOL or ATT when sailing around or from the US?

Thanks so much!

HNLGAL

Hi Underwatr,

Thanks so much!

HNLGAL

You set your home country when you buy the Kindle or if you move.

Subscriptions to blogs are not available to non-US customers.

The selection and pricing of newspapers and magazines may be higher for non-US customers.

Donna, thank you for explaining how to use the Kindle for email and Internet. I tried it this afternoon and it worked for me. I agree with you that it's slow, but for just checking email or reading emails without replying it will be a big help. I can save my free Internet minutes for writing emails and checking web sites.

Karen

This is not the norm at least in my experience. On the Coral, it would not connect to ship cell. Wifi may work on the newer models, I suppose.

I used my Kindle to go online on my transatlantic this past april on Royal Caribbean. Was able to use it the whole way. No charge. You can reply to your emails on it too.

I thought that you had to pay for the air time when you used it for e-mail. I've not used it for that purpose because I thought there was a charge. Does anybody know about this?

Have used extensively for email abroad and no charges so far...as noted, though, I'm a US user - YMMV if you aren't and/or depending on what else you are doing, like was mentioned re: subscriptions and so on. I just used my Kindle for reading books - and on our last cruise, learned how to check email wth it. Don't subscibe to anything, though so can't say how that would work.

What a wonderful thread! It has taken me some time to read through all 10 pages of posts, but y'all have convinced me that I need a Kindle. When they first came out, I thought, "No way will I ever give up a REAL book!" But it sounds like quite a few people who love books even more than I do have embraced this new technology wholeheartedly. Time to open my mind (and my wallet) and get one of my own. Thanks to everyone who has shared his/her experience!

What a wonderful thread! It has taken me some time to read through all 10 pages of posts, but y'all have convinced me that I need a Kindle. When they first came out, I thought, "No way will I ever give up a REAL book!" But it sounds like quite a few people who love books even more than I do have embraced this new technology wholeheartedly. Time to open my mind (and my wallet) and get one of my own. Thanks to everyone who has shared his/her experience!

You won't be sorry! I felt the same way that you did and now I don't leave home without my Kindle! :p

You think this thread is long. . . . . you should see the amazon.com threads regarding Kindles -- thousands of them:D I ordered my Kindle on August 27th and expect delivery September 22nd. It seems that everyone is getting these things (wish I owned Amazon stock)

You think this thread is long. . . . . you should see the amazon.com threads regarding Kindles -- thousands of them:D I ordered my Kindle on August 27th and expect delivery September 22nd. It seems that everyone is getting these things (wish I owned Amazon stock)

No you don't. :D

Target carries Kindle, which makes me happy, so I can try before I buy. I went to Barnes & Noble to look at the Nook. My local Target said they should have the new Kindle in any day now (they still have the last version). I'm still trying to decide between the two, but this thread has convinced me I need one!!

Thank you to everyone who's posted their opinions here. I just got home from Target where I was able to purchase a Kindle to use on my November cruise. I appreciate everyone chiming in with their likes, dislikes and experience. Thanks again! :D

Were you able to test it out at Target before you bought it?

Archived