Kindle2 on Cruise

Lynda90

What cases do you all like for your 3G or WiFi Kindle? I'm just afraid I may purchase a case and then it wouldn't fit. Help please.

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread and to Linda who started it as it has helped me greatly.

Joan

The M-Edge light *only* works with the M-Edge cases. It doesn't attach, the M-Edge case has a pocket that it slides into. I have an M-Edge case & light for my K2, and it's fantastic.

You have a 3rd generation Kindle, and I don't think that M-Edge has the covers released for the K3's yet, but you can register to be notified when they are available.

I love my K2 cover from M-Edge, but that being said....I went for the Amazon cover with the integrated light for my K3, and unless M-Edge (or another vendor) does the same form factor, I'm unlikely to go with anyone else's case.

Amazon's covers use the hinge openings that are on the side of the Kindle, so your reader is very securely held. Absolutely best way to carry it, IMO. M-Edge utilized the hinges as well for the K2, but they are NOT doing so for the K3. Bad move, and they're going to lose sales because of it.

The light on the Amazon case is nothing short of incredible. It's extremely unobtrusive when not in use (it literally disappears into the top right corner of the cover), and when it IS in use it runs off your Kindle batteries, so it doesn't require any external batteries. This means that as long as your Kindle has a charge, you have a light - no worries. It's sufficiently bright for reading in near total darkness, if you happen to nod off, the light goes off when your Kindle goes into 'sleep' mode. I have no issues with it discharging the battery disproportionately fast, so it must draw very little power.

It is pricey, and I had a difficult time justifying purchasing a case that was literally 1/2 the cost of the reader, but once I had it in my hands and have used it for a month, I couldn't be happier. It would be my top recommend as far as accessories go.

M-Edge utilized the hinges as well for the K2, but they are NOT doing so for the K3. Bad move, and they're going to lose sales because of it.
Probably because if M-Edge had used a single piece of steel like they did for the K2 cover, it would have shorted out the light contacts on the K3? I'm not that familiar with how the Amazon cover connects to the Kindle battery but I understood it to be through the hinge clips.

Probably because if M-Edge had used a single piece of steel like they did for the K2 cover, it would have shorted out the light contacts on the K3? I'm not that familiar with how the Amazon cover connects to the Kindle battery but I understood it to be through the hinge clips.

It does - but Amazon also makes a cover without the light, that utilizes the same hinge clips. So my guess is that it wouldn't cause an issue - but certainly M-Edge could reverse engineer something to prevent that.

I asked earlier, but didn't see a response. I know you can read your email on the kindle..can you also respond to it? Thanks.

Absolutely. It has a full web browser - albeit "experimental" and it's not the greatest, but it will certainly get the job done in a pinch.

Hi, everyone. I have been reading this thread for a long time. I just received my Kindle 3G yesterday and absolutely love it. However, I have a couple of questions. I went over to Target to look at book lights and covers. I purchased a book light that attaches to the top of the Kindle but, knowing that I may take it back if I find something better (made by Belkin). It seems a little wobbly when attached. I've been looking at the book light at M-Edge and wonder if it is better. It appears to attach on the side and is compatible with their covers. Can anyone comment on these two lights?

Now, on to covers. Target had some on sale but I did not like any of them. I've seen one on M-Edge called a Prodigy but it states that it is for a 2nd Generation Kindle. Is that what I have? I wasn't sure if I had a 2nd Generation or if there was a 3rd Generation so don't know if my Kindle would fit in the case. Can someone help me with this?

What cases do you all like for your 3G or WiFi Kindle? I'm just afraid I may purchase a case and then it wouldn't fit. Help please.

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread and to Linda who started it as it has helped me greatly.

Joan

As far as I know, Target does not have any accessories as yet for the Kindle 3. I ordered the cover/light that's made for the K3 through Amazon. It is spendy but I like the idea of having the built in light. It will arrive next Tuesday and has free standard shipping. :p

This thread is almost as bad as the days preceding my 1st cruise!!

I ordered a 3g Kindle and it is due to be delivered tomorrow by UPS.

Thanks to the email amazon.com sent me, I was able to browse the free books, chose 7, and they supposedly downloaded to my new toy while it is in transit.

I can hardly WAIT!!

I just know that in a few years, it will be like when the first VCR came out...$40.00 for a blank tape. Now look at the prices. I don't care...get it while I can!!

Melanie

I agree - this thread is addictive. I'm still waiting to purchase the Kindle. Was torn between Kindle and Nook, but I think the Kindle is winning out. It looks like ebooks generally cost about the same.

How did you get an email from Amazon for the free books? Are they the "regular free" books, or current releases?

Thanks to everyone for this great - addictive - thread!

I agree - this thread is addictive. I'm still waiting to purchase the Kindle. Was torn between Kindle and Nook, but I think the Kindle is winning out. It looks like ebooks generally cost about the same.

How did you get an email from Amazon for the free books? Are they the "regular free" books, or current releases?

Thanks to everyone for this great - addictive - thread!

Amazon has a "Kindle Store" and you can find these free books there. Lots of times they will be under "current bestsellers" or most common classics. When you make a purchase, they list several "other items you may like" that are in the same type of category that you chose. This is where I find a lot of good ideas. Have fun!

Using your Kindle's browser you can also go to http://mnybks.net. This is the mobile version of http://manybooks.net - this is a website for a lot of free, public domain books like Mark Twain, Les Miserables and the like. You can select a book from there on the Kindle and it will automatically download directly into the device.

Using your Kindle's browser you can also go to http://mnybks.net. This is the mobile version of http://manybooks.net - this is a website for a lot of free, public domain books like Mark Twain, Les Miserables and the like. You can select a book from there on the Kindle and it will automatically download directly into the device.

Pretty cool site, thanks!

I love my nook. I have the wifi version because I only download books at home, and wanted to save the $50. The nook has a web browser that makes it easy, but not too comfortable to surf the web. But, you can borrow books from the library if your library has ebooks for download, nad to me, that's the major advantage over the kindle. My sister had a kindle, and she spent so much money buying all these books from amazon, and reads them once, and that's it. Whereas on the nook, you can get books from multiple sites and download library books to take with you.

I love my nook. I have the wifi version because I only download books at home, and wanted to save the $50. The nook has a web browser that makes it easy, but not too comfortable to surf the web. But, you can borrow books from the library if your library has ebooks for download, nad to me, that's the major advantage over the kindle. My sister had a kindle, and she spent so much money buying all these books from amazon, and reads them once, and that's it. Whereas on the nook, you can get books from multiple sites and download library books to take with you.

Have over 50 books on my Kindle and haven't as yet spent a penny! :p

You can get books from multiple sites for the Kindle as well, though not as many library books. I can't tell you the last time I bought a book from Amazon. I have close to 1,000 books on my Kindle, and I've probably spent less than $200 on them.

I'm hoping that eventually Amazon will allow the Epub format (which is what most library ebooks are in), but it's not a deal-breaker. I've used the Nook, the Sony, and the Kindle, and the Kindle wins hands-down for me.

I received my new Kindle about a week ago after having the 1st Generation for about 18 months. in a word, awesome. As far as the books themselves, like many of you have already mentioned, I try very hard to spend as little as humanly possible. Amazon has done a very good job of pushing new authors via their "FREE TOP 100 LIST". I check it daily and through that, I've found and enjoyed several authors that I would have otherwise never have read. Of course, you have to weed through all the chaff first, but it's a small price to pay.

My only real heartburn right now is the higher priced books that seem to be getting higher. It wasn't that long ago that you didn't see anything on the "shelves" for over 9.99. Now, it's not uncommon to see a best selling author's new novel priced at 12.99 or even higher. I find this very frustrating and unneccasary. And I know it's the publishers and not Amazon, but that doesn't make me feel any better.

But, I will be taking my new Kindle on my cruise, and I will download a few of the more expensive books, because that is part of "treating myself" which I am doing during that 2 weeks. My wife is going to be using my other Kindle, which is in itself a plus because she's really not a "reader". When I get home, I plan on selling the old one on Ebay. I see that they are priced nicely and should pay for a nice portion of my new one.

This is the explanation that helped me to make the decision to save $50 :)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100830060518AATBrBj

That was a good explanation -- thank you! It made me happy that I purchased the 3G (received it this week). When I use my netbook away from home, I need to search for a WIFI connection. With my Kindle, it just automatically finds one -- no work on my part.

Several of us are looking at the Kindle 3 covers. I guess, since Kindle 3 was just released, there are not many choices available yet. The Kindle weighs about 8 ounces. If you purchase the leather cover with or without the light, it more than doubles the weight of the Kindle. I purchased an envelope type case from Amazon to protect it. But, with Christmas coming, I'm sure that Kindle 3 covers will pop up everywhere. Right now ebags.com is discounting Kindle 2 covers. . . . hope the Kindle 3's are not far behind.:)

I looked at several new model covers on Ebay and while certainly cheaper, they all appeared to pale in comparison in quality to the one Amazon sells.

I bit the bullet and purchased one from Amazon, knowing that I was paying too much for it. I just wanted my new toy to be protected and I didn't want to wait for the prices to drop, which I'm sure they will at some point. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do....

My DH just upgrade to the K3. On our K2 we both had covers from Oberon. I ordered my Dh the new K3 cover from Oberon and it is just beautiful. Check out there website..

http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&pageNumber=1&c=81&v=&id=&sortBy=undefined&search=&shopByPrice=

Those are lovely. But, I went with the one from Amazon with the built-in light. :p

Archived