Kindle2 on Cruise

Lynda90

Here's the step by step for older Kindle models to connect to the internet - be warned that it is slow and the display is sometimes really weird - is free though, where you can get signal. YMMV if you have one of the newer ones - mine is a bit over a year old now:

1. From 'Home' screen, press Menu

2. From Menu, go to 'Experimental'

3. From 'Experimental' go to Launch Browser

4. Then go to "Enter URL"

5. Type in your email carrier (eg. www.aol.com)and press button for 'go to'

6. Wait, wait, wait....(told you it was slow...)

7. Use annoying tiny square thingee to try and navigate page to 'Sign in' enter your login and pw and wait some more

8. Read your email and/or use tiny keys to respond....

The only really nice thing about this is that it is free, and, it seems to keep your login info and automatically send you there once you finally get it in.

I tried these instructions and I got a screen that asked if I wanted to turn on the wireless. The choices were ok and cancel. When I hit cancel, it just went back to the original screen. Are these instructions just for models that don't have wireless? Anyone else tried this? :confused:

I have a Kindle, earlier generation. I love it. I am thinking about getting a newer version. We will be going on Princess thru the Panama Canal in December. Has anyone used the Web feature on Kindle to check your emails? Would it work if you are in an area where you have service to download books? What about the cost? Am I right if you use it in the US to check your emails it is free?

I tried these instructions and I got a screen that asked if I wanted to turn on the wireless. The choices were ok and cancel. When I hit cancel, it just went back to the original screen. Are these instructions just for models that don't have wireless? Anyone else tried this? :confused:

If you have a kindle2 you have to turn the wireless on. Then just type in your email place (ie:hotmail.com) and it will pull up whatever you have in your inbox.

It works if you're in US waters or ports...not out of the country. I just download a bunch of books (including free ones) so I don't need to use wireless when out of the country.
That's outdated information. The new Kindle 3 as well as the international version of the Kindle 2 will access the internet in just about any port. I couldn't connect to the cellular network on the Queen Mary 2 the other week but others on other cruise lines have even reported getting that to work for them. Best of all, the 3G access is free.

You're correct, of course, if someone has the higher priced Kindle 3...I thought the question was related to Kindle2.
The original Kindle 1 and the first edition of the Kindle 2 only worked in the US, but Amazon updated the K2 design last winter to work internationally.

Of course the Kindle 3 is cheaper than the Kindle 2.

What about the new kindle for $139? It doesn't have version coding(like kindle 1, 2, dx etc.
Amazon calls it the "Kindle WiFi."

If you never left home or always had access to a free WiFi hotspot the Kindle WiFi would be good enough. I know that I consume more than $50 worth of 3G data per year checking my email and other light web browsing on my Kindle, as well as browsing or downloading books.

I bought the new $139 Kindle and gave the Kindle 2 to DH. Not because it's the old one :) but because it's a big larger and more sturdy for his large hands. The new one is very light and great for travel and since you can set the font size for whatever works best for you, it's fine. Not quite as well made but almost half the price of what I paid for the first one. Having Wifi is great; I didn't need to 3G because I only use it for reading since I have a Netbook for computer stuff. Hope this helps.

What are the actual advantages of having the wifi (new one) Kindle vs. having the one with both wifi and 3G. I feel rather at a loss because I cannot figure out what the 3G is actually used for. I guess I'm trying to find out if it's worth it for me to get the new one. I've only had the Kindle 2 for just over 2 months. How much lighter is the the new one? Thanks! :p

This is the explanation that helped me to make the decision to save $50 :)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100830060518AATBrBj

Thanks for the info. I am going over to Target to see if they have them yet for comparison. Don't know if it's really worth it for me to get the new one since I've had the Kindle 2 for such a short time. It depends on how much lighter it feels and how fast the page turner is. I just hate that they came out with a new model right after I got the old, new one. Probably a newer model will come out if I purchase this one. Decisions, decisions! :p:p

Received my Kindle 3G today and am fairly hooked already:) This is going to be great to take on board. It weights 8.7 oz. and the book I just finished (400+ pages) was 9 oz. I've purchased a carrying "sleeve" for it and am now shopping for a cover. I'm watching the weight because some of the leather covers are 14+ ounces which could make your hands get quite tired after a while. The Kindle 3 is so new that there are very few covers out there. Hopefully there will be some lightweight choices in a month or so.

What are the actual advantages of having the wifi (new one) Kindle vs. having the one with both wifi and 3G. I feel rather at a loss because I cannot figure out what the 3G is actually used for. I guess I'm trying to find out if it's worth it for me to get the new one. I've only had the Kindle 2 for just over 2 months. How much lighter is the the new one? Thanks! :p

The wifi only Kindle 3 ($139) works only where there is wifi. The 3G like the older model Kindles works wherever there is an available cell signal. If you only want to download books from home or somewhere else where there is wifi, I would go for the more user friendly 3G model. I have the K2 and it takes about a minute to download a book from almost anywhere!

This thread is almost as bad as the days preceding my 1st cruise!!

I ordered a 3g Kindle and it is due to be delivered tomorrow by UPS.

Thanks to the email amazon.com sent me, I was able to browse the free books, chose 7, and they supposedly downloaded to my new toy while it is in transit.

I can hardly WAIT!!

I just know that in a few years, it will be like when the first VCR came out...$40.00 for a blank tape. Now look at the prices. I don't care...get it while I can!!

Melanie

Well, I bit the bullet and got the new one for $139. A family member is going to purchase my old one. I really like the lightness of it; much lighter than Kindle 2. I don't really need the 3G as my books will already be downloaded from home so I got just the wifi version. I also always travel with my netbook for any internet stuff I want to do. It was really easy to transfer all my books over to the new one. :p

I love my Nook. Books are bought through the Barnes and Noble online store or instore, lots of choices. I chose this for the ability to go right into the store if I needed any help (though it is very easy to figure out) and the evenings in the store for novices. The sales people are very helpful. Good pricing, lots to choose from, lightweight. Compares to Kindle (when it came out, Kindle dropped its price).

My bad. Should have started with 1. Turn on the Wireless...

Sorry

Hi, everyone. I have been reading this thread for a long time. I just received my Kindle 3G yesterday and absolutely love it. However, I have a couple of questions. I went over to Target to look at book lights and covers. I purchased a book light that attaches to the top of the Kindle but, knowing that I may take it back if I find something better (made by Belkin). It seems a little wobbly when attached. I've been looking at the book light at M-Edge and wonder if it is better. It appears to attach on the side and is compatible with their covers. Can anyone comment on these two lights?

Now, on to covers. Target had some on sale but I did not like any of them. I've seen one on M-Edge called a Prodigy but it states that it is for a 2nd Generation Kindle. Is that what I have? I wasn't sure if I had a 2nd Generation or if there was a 3rd Generation so don't know if my Kindle would fit in the case. Can someone help me with this?

What cases do you all like for your 3G or WiFi Kindle? I'm just afraid I may purchase a case and then it wouldn't fit. Help please.

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread and to Linda who started it as it has helped me greatly.

Joan

Archived