Kindle2 on Cruise

Lynda90

Here is where I got her cover and the light attachment. They normally have a free shipping offer.

http://urlapp--medgestore--com.rtrk.com/products/kindle2-prodigy.psp

Hmm, that link didn't work for me. It took me to a the site but nothing about what we are discussing. The site said something about codes and requesting more info but nothing about kindle cover or anything else that you could order.

You can now download the kindle reader software to your PC and it is a free app. You can also download books from Amazon just like you do on the Kindle. I put it on my 10" netbook. Tried a couple of the "free" novels and I now understand why they are free. They are extremely short. I can read the entire novel in about 15 minutes.

A Kindle is great for a cruise. You can pre-load it before you go. I've also purchased books on my laptop and transferred them to the Kindle using the USB while on board. It's fantastic. Best part about it is when I went on my last cruise I was able to leave one suitcase home LOL. It takes a lot less room than all of my books.

Wendy

I do recommend a case with some form of light structural support (I think the Go! has this. I cut a thin piece of plexi for the back of my case. In carry-ons, the thin Kindle can be subject to flexing as the load shift which can put stress on a screen... (Actually this goes for anything thin with a screen.)

No. It's rigid. This is the one that Amazon sells for $24.99 or $29.99. You need to have something in which to carry your charger and also a light if you think you need one. Did you see where the seller is located? Hong Kong.

No. It's rigid. This is the one that Amazon sells for $24.99 or $29.99. You need to have something in which to carry your charger and also a light if you think you need one. Did you see where the seller is located? Hong Kong.

Pia, do you have a link for what I should be looking for? Thanks!

BTW, I ordered my netbook bag from this company, also for $7.99 and free shipping. It did take over a month to get, but I really like the bag. It matches the mesh-like pattern on my Asus.

The link above in #28 shows a whole lot of them. I think you should go to TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, etc. and see what they have. Also think out of the box. They make little pouches for small tools and those too can be used for a Kindle. That's what my green one is and has a handle and I saw them in Home Depot, though I picked mine up at Maxx or Marshalls.

Great, I'll check those stores. They are located almost next to each other very close to home!

The link above in #28 shows a whole lot of them. I think you should go to TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, etc. and see what they have. Also think out of the box. They make little pouches for small tools and those too can be used for a Kindle. That's what my green one is and has a handle and I saw them in Home Depot, though I picked mine up at Maxx or Marshalls.

BTW, I ordered my netbook bag from this company, also for $7.99 and free shipping. It did take over a month to get, but I really like the bag. It matches the mesh-like pattern on my Asus.

I got my original netbook bag from Skooba on closeout. Bag OK and sturdy but too big and weighed too much. I replaced it with one from BB & Beyond for $9.99 (and the 20@ off coupon). It's hot pink, so it doesn't clash with my blue Asus. :D

Last year, I brought about 7 books on the cruise and then read a few from the library. Since I am such a voracious reader, my husband bought me a nook for Christmas.

Mine now has internet access, but Barnes & Noble also has a different

wi-fi version

for 149.99.

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=tupper+quote+cover+in+leaf is the study flip open cover I chose because I did not like pulling it out of envelopes and wanted a little cushion to the holder.

THEN, I bought a neoprene netbook cover and I keep the nook and my charger in it. Just the other day, in Marshalls- I found a perfect size neoprene cover for 3.99.

I LOVE my nook.

Last few weeks, there have been a giveaway book each week. There also was a novel given away that has been made into a new TV series.

I have over 70 books on my nook and assorted pictures I added- and it is less than 10% full. It can also have a 16 mg memory card added- but I am a long way off from needing that.

I loaded a few Jodi Picoult books for the cruise & could not resist reading Nelson DeMille's latest- so I am going to try to keep away from my nook till the cruise. I can shop for more if needed at the pier on the ship using my 3G access.

Can't wait to sit on the balcony...sip coffee, and cruise away............

Bernadette

I brought my Kindle 2 on two RCI cruises. They worked well, and I brought along the chargers and plugged them into the US outlets with no problems. I have one of the earlier units, and found that downloading the Wall Street Journal didn't work at sea. Also, it didn't work in Canada. But the new units have a Global connection.

I have an Oberon Design cover. Beware, my first cover that came with the original unit (Not Kindle 2) wasn't very secure, and the Kindle kept sliding right out of the closed cover.

Thank you so much for your help. Amazon is selling them for $189 and that seems pretty reasonable to me. Question: If I want to read books by a certain author, am I able to load many books by the author so they are all just ready to go when I want to read them? Hope that made sense.

Be sure to check the Kindle Books part on Amazon. They have about three times the number of books they did when I ordered my first a few years ago. I have a Kindle 2, and my husband likes the original Kindle. It has larger keys, which works better since he's a little handicapped.

You can also download free books from various sites with a USB cable.

There are a number of much better manuals out there than the one that comes with the unit, but that's a good place to start. Also, third party how-to books contain a list of the sites offering free books.

The PDF reader with the smaller unit makes the text look very small. If I download PDF documents these days, I set the "Font size" to landscape, and turn my unit sideways. For some reason, the PDF files from Princess don't work with the Kindle. Too interactive I guess.

Hmm, that link didn't work for me. It took me to a the site but nothing about what we are discussing. The site said something about codes and requesting more info but nothing about kindle cover or anything else that you could order.

Sorry about that - it worked when I clicked through, but it did look weird :-) You've had several other options provided since my post.

I LOVE my Kindle which is a Kindle 1 which I've had for almost 2 1/2 years. It is the BEST for traveling, and for cruises especially. If you want a quality case and don't mind paying for it, go to http://www.oberon.com. You will find cases for both Kindle 1 and 2. They are made of embossed leather and are the BEST you will find. They make your Kindle look like a leather bound book. They are pricey ($80 or so), but they are SO worth it. Lots of different designs and colors. I finally broke down and bought one a few months ago and it is SO beautiful. (Spend the money you saved since Amazon lowered the price! LOL)

Hi Lynda90....I don't have the Kindle, but I do have the Nook (Barnes and Noble version of the Kindle) I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Right now I'm getting it to pay for itself by "buying" free and very inexpensive books.

I too am interested in knowing if it will work on a cruise. I know it works on planes, just got back from a trip and it worked great. One of the reasons I got it was for travel, so I don't have to lug several books with me. I now use it exclusively, no more paper books at all for me. Hopefully, someone with this fantastic "toy" will have some good info for us as to cruising!

Leanne.

I am using my nook on the CB and it works great. Using my iPad too.

As a veteran Kindle, Netbook, and ITouch reader, take a look at the following link. It is updated on a continuous basis and shows most Kindle books which are new free offerings. You will find that many of these will be $9.99 or so after a few days of introduction. Also it is now possible to delete a book from your Amazon library if you decide you have no further interest in it. I currently have 300 plus books in my Amazon library. For those of you who understand what an RSS feed is, you can see this list on your browser homepage on an ongoing basis should you like.

http://ebooks.addall.com/amazonfree.html

PS- always verify that the price is 0.00 before pressing buy it now. Also, someone put up a bunch of "romance" type books a day or 2 ago. Normally there are only a couple of new books a day. You can also access the free BN books from the link.

For May's cruise on the Ruby I downloaded "trash and treasure." I found I needed mindless reading on the plane and read a book over, and a book back. It was nice to know I had a stash of books whenever I wanted them! I have a sturdy black cover from Amazon and it went through the machines fine. It really is better than holding a hardback at home and I can read it without my cheater glasses :) Enjoy!

For May's cruise on the Ruby I downloaded "trash and treasure." I found I needed mindless reading on the plane and read a book over, and a book back. It was nice to know I had a stash of books whenever I wanted them! I have a sturdy black cover from Amazon and it went through the machines fine. It really is better than holding a hardback at home and I can read it without my cheater glasses :) Enjoy!

Sometimes mindless reading just fits the bill! :p

I would like to get an e-reader and was wondering if they all need a light to read in bed at night. Also apparently you can get books for some e-readers from the library. I was told some e-readers can only be used to download from their company, such as amazon and kindle. So any suggestions would be helpful as to which ones allow downloads from some of the free library sites. Also can you download audio books and listen to them on e-readers?

I have had a Kindle 2 for just under a year. (No need to make another

decision, my maiden name was Kindle!) I absolutley love it! I have about 250 books on it right now plus 90 in the Amazon archives. I read a lot! I

took it on a cruise which was wonderful. Only one "book" for the whole trip. Just download the books you want before you leave home and you're all set for planes, airports and the ship. You can find lots of books for free and I've discovered that I've read a lot of authors I'd never have found otherwise. Many of them are quite good. I do recommend a cover.

I got a leather one from Amazon that completely folds back in use. The Kindle is thin and I thing it needs protection. I also got an Amazon book light called a Kandle that works well when you want to read with other lights off. I waited a long time to buy my Kindle (until the price dropped) and now the price is even cheaper but I don't regret getting it when I did.

So great to slip it into my purse and take it anywhere.

I've thought about getting an e-reader, but am wondering how easy it is to read in bright daylight and/or sunlight. I cannot read my cell phone screen at all when outside or even in a vehicle during the day, so if these readers are like my phone then it wouldn't be as useful. Also, can you make the print larger or smaller? Would be really nice to have large print so I wouldn't have to wear my reading glasses. Also, are any of the different brands better for readability than others?

Archived