Just off the Solsitice - 6/20-6/27 - Sunset Veranda - never again!!

bigwalt0176

How long is your cruise? If it's a longer cruise I would keep in mind the lack of privacy for any of you when you're all in one room with the one bathroom.

Whatever you decide hope you have a great cruise!

I have read and am following this thread with slight amusement!

We have an Aft Sunset Veranda booked on Eclipse for November 2010 doing the Western Caribbean and have only just changed to this ship having originally booked NCL Epic which we have been put off!

We have cruised RCCL on Brilliance and Independence and have had balcony cabins on both. On Brilliance it was an Aft cabin which made us determined to get an Aft on every other cruise that we go on again.

I appreciate that the heat in the summer may be overpowering and that you have to pull the curtains to stop the sun shining in - that is why I go on holiday to enjoy the sun and that is why I go for an Aft cabin (we are in Scotland after all and the sun is something we see very little of). That and the fact that you really can enjoy as much "freedom" on your balcony at the back of the boat. If this new class of ship means that my balcony freedom is compromised then I will simply have to live with the fact that there may be people looking over higher balconies down on me and make sure that they enjoy the view!

With regards to the soot issue, I have today checked with my Celebrity cruise expert and did enquire about moving higher up the boat and to a higher grade cabin - perhaps a CC or an Aqua, however I neither want a fluffier dressing gown or the nibbles of food that this class brings to my cabin. The free water and tea or coffee doesn't do it either as we are purchasing the premium drinks package and fizzy water will flow to my hearts content along with the other premium drinks that are on offer in this package so my answer to those that wish to sail in an Aft cabin but really do have issues with the soot is do as I am planning to do!

I am staying in my deck 8 Aft cabin, after all if I was higher up, the soot would only hit my deck quicker! This room has a great balcony in my eyes, I'm buying stronger factor sun cream and I'm also taking a nice pair of rubber gloves/marigolds/whatever you call them in USA and some nice cloths that I can throw in the bin and I fully intend to use them to clean my seat and table and probably even the floor to enable me to walk to my sooty seat before cleaning it, but one things for sure, I won't let any soot put me off my Aft cabin! I will not be defeated by some black dust!

Counting down the weeks until we meet "Sooty and Sweep"!

While aft balconies on most ships are bigger than most. I have read that on the Solstice class this is not the case. There is a very informative cabin information spreadsheet posted in a sticky thread in this forum. With some research these issues shouldn't have been a surprise.

Beth

I won't let any soot put me off my Aft cabin! I will not be defeated by some black dust!
You Scots are a resourceful and hardy lot -- traits to be admired in any cruiser! Hope you have a wonderful cruise (with minimum soot). :p

I was on the same cruise and really thought about those aft cabins. We needed two suites and the only reason we didn't book the aft was because we wanted to be next to each other (young grandchildren running between rooms ~grin~). Ended up under the cafe, mid-ship --- it could not have been nicer (a little noise in morning - but we are early risers so did not impact). The overhang was perfect for being outside and not getting too much sun. Probably the most private balcony I've ever experienced .... Just wonderful. But thank you for posting your experience. If I sail Solstice again, I will not go for the aft cabins. All the reasons you posted for not liking that location do not suit me either. It was kind of you to tell us about your experience.

While aft balconies on most ships are bigger than most. I have read that on the Solstice class this is not the case. There is a very informative cabin information spreadsheet posted in a sticky thread in this forum.

Beth

Well, believe it or not I thoroughly read the sticky and spreadsheet on the cabins. It absolutely mentioned the fact that the Solstice class ships had smaller aft balconies (than the other class ships), and that they had little cover and minimal privacy.

Most people stated that there was *not* a lot of issues with soot however, while I cannot recall a single person who mentioned being extremely unhappy...as several here have attested to.... with their aft cabin.

With some research these issues shouldn't have been a surprise.

Although I appreciate the tip :p, I researched quite a bit. Had any of that research yielded comments like "never again" along with some "I agree!" follow-up comments.... I probably would have looked to book a different set of cabins on a different sail date.

This thread has opened my eyes as to the level of undesireability of these cabins, whereas none of my other 'research' stated anything similar. Live and learn.

You confirm my thoughts on an "aft" stateroom. I live in Florida..being in the hot sun on my veranda is NOT what I consider fun...the soot..don't need that either...the wake? not enough reason to book at the back of the ship....glad some people like it, just not for me!

I'll stick with my little verandas on the sides and be happy....

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick "thank you" for this thread.

We are also HUGE fans of aft cabins and the threat of full sun is just one of the reasons my DH loves these cabins!

We've only cruised 11 times but I would say more than half of them we've had aft/stern cabins. We love everything about them!!!! (Never experienced issue w/soot though.)

We love the "rocking" motion, don't mind the vibration/noise, and very much enjoy the extra walk as we don't take elevators during the entire cruise anyway...and more often than not, extra square feet for the balcony and in at least 3 cruises, the added benefit of a wrap around balcony.

But upon further review (thanks to this thread), I discovered that the aft balconies are NOT private! There are probably only a handful of TAs that know this type of detail.

Having exposed aft balconies is a deal-breaker for us (S-class series). So it sounds as if this is not an issue on the top deck only, correct? Other than that, you are pretty much a goldfish in a glass bowl.

Thanks!!!!!

Dawn

Whle wake views are nice, no overhang with heat might be an issue......

Bob

I try to avoid the sun like the plague....but DH just loves it. It can't be too sunny or too hot for him. In this area, I concede because it is way more important to him (he lives out there).

:)

I think that most of us who love aft balconies are referring to the M class CC aft balconies which are huge and have a fair amount of coverage from above. They truly are awesome. That being said, I would not book an S class aft as they are not large and as you said not covered.

Just to throw in another wrinkle, a long time cruiser friend of mine said that he didn't like the afts because it was such a long walk down the hallways--I guess there are no rear elevators on S class? I have been aft on Century and Summit and it was great--you could run upstairs for a quick drink in a flash--but I guess that's not possible on these newer ships.

I have to guess that Celebrity based their S class aft cabin categories on the popularity of aft cabins on the M class ships. When booking our upcoming Equinox cruise I was so excited to snag an angled hump cabin, 1120. Research showed this to be a very desirable cabin with an extra large balcony. Then I was even more surprised that it was a category C2 and was very reasonably priced in comparison to C1 aft cabins. Nothing at all could budge me now from our chosen cabin. Why would I pay more for a cabin that has a balcony I couldn't enjoy? Reading this thread, and reviews of S class ships, it seems like favour is turning away from aft cabins and heading towards hump cabins.

Has Celebrity ever re-arranged cabin categories before? Is it a possibility, or is that something that would never happen?

Cruising since 1983 (ouch!) and never had an aft cabin. It's always been in the back of my mind to try one. Reading all the above posts has convinced me to do exactly what I have been contemplating.... book a two nite and try the aft cabin. Can't really do the Century in Jan 2011 so I think I will try the Millie in 2012. Only been on one two nighter and hated how short it was, but I think this would be the perfect time to try out a cabin I haven't done before.... but then, there is always that PS...hmmmm

I have been cruising since '88 and always wanted an aft cabin after spending a sea day aft on the pool deck and loving the view. Spent many nights on the Princess Grand class ships in the nightclub up at the top of the aft of the ship, just taking in the lighted wake view. Love it! Wanted to get an aft cabin since they started having them in the late 90s. It never worked out. Finally, last year we did Connie, and were able to grab a corner FOV! WOW! I am now hooked. We are doing Millie this fall in another corner FOV. I would have liked to try an S class ship, but did not like the Aft cabins, especially the balconies. There is no comparison. I spend every minute possible out there. On M class, there is an overhang if you don't like the sun, and also for privacy. Otherwise you can also spend time sunning in a lounge chair with out the crowds of the pool deck. Like our own private yacht!

We had an aft balcony for a fall cruise to New England and Canada. The direct sun and protection from the wind made the balcony warm enough to really enjoy on otherwise cool days. We loved it going north when we were in the sun but not so much on the return trip going south in the shade.

We've booked one of the aft corner Sky Suites on an upcoming Equinox cruise, but I made sure it was on the Resort Deck which is supposed to have more of an overhang since it is the top deck level of cabins. have the same problem with the Sun/Rain issues that the OP did. Rich

We were very pleased with the cabins on Resort Deck with the overhang. :)

A little bit of research goes a long way. My girl friend and I are sailing on the Solstice in December 2010, our first cruise, and our hearts were set on the Concierge Class Aft cabins. However, before the actual booking, I did some research and found out what people had to say about the aft balconies on the Solstice. I learnt three things; soot, sun and lack of privacy with most of the aft cabins. Needless to say, we did not book an aft cabin.

Moral of this story? Do your research.

I knew someone that was booked in one of the aft facing balconies on SOLSTICE before she came into service. As soon as they saw the pictures of her backing out of the builders shed in Papenburg they cancelled and moved to a side balcony! You could tell even then there was to be no privacy! Just dont look at deck plans, look at actual pictures too. There are pleny on shipspotting and other sites. You'll have no one to blame but yourself.

Well, we've booked a corner Sky Suite w/adjoining CC class cabin aft....because there were none other available. So we're stuck with what we have.

It's nice to hear how much these cabins & balconies suck though :D!

Some good pictures of the aft SS and SV balconies

http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/rw/1025551/Ship+Photo+Celebrity+Solstice.jpg

http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=88&pos=14

SOLSTICE

http://www.depping-design.de/test/thumbnails.php?album=88

EQUINOX

http://www.depping-design.de/test/thumbnails.php?album=97

As someone stated there is lots of information regarding the aft cabins on the "S" class ships. They do not compare with the extra large balconies on the "M" class, where you have the best of both... 1/2 Sun, 1/2 Protection. When we cruised on the Solstice last January, we decided to go with a C1 on the "Hump".. because of the larger balcony. I can certainly understand your disappointment being you were expecting the larger balcony and more privacy.. however, one can never do too much research.. looking at pictures, getting opinions, etc... Do try an aft on one of the "M" class ships.. you will absolutely love it!!

I don't post much much would like to share my recent experience on the Solstice. The ship was great, service and staff were great. The ports were new to us and very nice (Western Carib). The food was to our liking.

We took our two boys, 21 and 18, who had graduated with honors from High School and University as their reward on their first cruise and decided on adjoining cabins on the Sunset Veranda. I spent a few more dollars on these cabins for the view and to WOW the boys.

I would have to say that this was a mistake. I have a real thing for Veranda rooms. You can read, eat and normally just relax on a veranda. The SV was quite the opposite. There was either blistering sun or pouring rain during our cruise. This is normally not a problem except that the 12 inch overhang of the SV provides no protection against either. There was also no privacy from above. We could not enjoy the cruise on our veranda. A simple cloth canopy extension could have provided us with a much more enjoyable experience. Neither one of the two boys or my wife spent any time at all on the veranda. I only did so because I thought I had paid the extra money for the veranda and thought I should take advantage of it but even I was driven back inside quickly whether the weather was fair or not.

To sum things up, I would have been much happier with a port or starboard veranda as they would have provided the coverage that I was looking for. I will conclude in saying that if you want a great view of the wake of the ship, a SV is for you but be prepared for the downsides that go along with it.

Thank you for posting your comments. I had an aft balcony for the first time on RCI last year and was hooked by the extra depth, room for loungers and view of the wake. I booked an SV on the Equinox for an Eastern Med sailing next May and then started to read the Celebrity boards for the first time (clearly opposite to the order in which I should have proceeded). After discovering that the SV balconies were not only regular sized but also offered no protection whatsoever from the elements, I promptly changed the reservation to a 1A angled balcony instead.

I have had second thoughts about giving up the aft but your post has put my mind at rest. I definitely did the the right thing. There will be other aft cabins in my future but not on S class ships.

So good to know about the aft cabins. We thought we might like to try one, as we were signing up for our next cruise before we left the last. I guess, luckily for us, all the c1's were already booked for next July.

Being the OP of this thread, I never thought it would be so popular but would like to reply to some of the great comments that have been posted here:

1. Having sailed three times on the “M” class ships and reading the boards, I fully realized that the cabin and veranda size on the “S” class ships was no larger than most of the other veranda cabins on this ship.

2. The reported soot problem was not an issue for us in booking the cabin.

3. The privacy issues were also not a consideration since even on the “M” class ships we could look down upon them from the upper decks.

4. We reviewed the aft pictures of the Solstice and saw that the veranda overhang was not huge.

5. Even though we read through the boards and viewed the pictures, what we did not realize or appreciate was the only minimal (12 inch) overhang provided on the veranda. This was the issue. Sun and rain made the veranda an issue. Unlike the “M” class ships that have a canvas cover for part of the veranda, the Solstice had none.

6. I think the time of year we cruised the Caribbean had something to do with our displeasure. The temperature was generally higher than a winter Caribbean cruise or Canadian itinerary. The sun would have not been as much of a problem for an alternate itinerary. As most of you know, short and frequent rain squalls are common in the summer in this region. That meant that drying of swimsuits etc was impossible on the veranda when we were in the room or leaving for a short period of time (please no comments about drying clothing on the veranda) even though the clothing was placed as close to the cabin as possible. The last few days required us to dry clothing in the bathroom and we still had to bag wet things on our return home. The lack of any appreciable overhang also meant that during these squalls one could not be out on the veranda in any way, even standing against the door.

Archived