Any Zumba Classes on HAL ships?

Berk987

Zumba is fun and a good work out. I've taken it a few times and it knocks me OUT. I'm impressed that your 63 yr old friend teaches these classes! It just shows you how age can be so immaterial. I'm hoping there will be yoga classes, but then if the ship is rocking it might be hard. :p

I have been taking Zumba classes for the past year. Our teacher choreographs dances---I feel like I'm on" So You Think You Can Dance"!! During the summer months, the dance floor gets very slippery---from our sweat. Unbelievable!!

From my experience with HAL, they don't offer much in the way of exercise classes. And, usually it costs something per class.

Zumba is fun and a good work out. I've taken it a few times and it knocks me OUT. I'm impressed that your 63 yr old friend teaches these classes! It just shows you how age can be so immaterial. I'm hoping there will be yoga classes, but then if the ship is rocking it might be hard. :p

I have seen in the Veendam dailies that there were yoga classes given with a $12.00 fee. Took a yoga class on NCL and in my opinion they catered to the newbies and it was not worth the money (I believe you also have a gratuity added). They do offer Tai Chi every morning free of charge.

A lot depends on the experiences that the cruise staff have so if a crew person has the zumba qualifications, they may offer classes. Otherwise, the answer would be no. And yes, the yoga is very basic so you could probably do your own routine using a mat in the gym.

Ruth C.--I watched a class my 38 year old daughter (very physically fit) attended and I was exhausted! She had to take a shower after. Little too fast paced for me. Carol

Thanks, Carol. Sounds like a spectator sport to me. ;)

It is the newest exercise/dance craze. My 63 year old friend teaches it in Lake Havasu,Arizona, so it is something everyone can do. Would be fun but I doubt if they will have it.

I'm surprised to hear you say it's new. I bet I've had my zumba exercise CD for 5 years and I really don't like it. I'd rather being using my eliptical, exercise bike, walking or anything then that. It wasn't for me.

• 1 year later...
Just love to zumba. Any classes yet? Thanks.

We love Holland America, but just returned from a Princess Cruise to Alaska. I discovered that ALL Princess Ships are now offering Zumba on board--for free! Princess does not set it in the gym as an exercise program. Instead one of their dancers teaches the class in a lounge. It makes the offering similar to any other dance lesson class. I was told that Holland America has a contract with another company to cover all activities in their gyms. Using Princess' technique that company wouldn't have to be involved in the Zumba classes.

We are going on the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings cruise next summer (2012). I don't want to give up Zumba for all that time. It's just too much fun and such great aerobic exercise! Great way to work off the calories from all the yummy food on board too!!

I have a year to work on this. Can anyone out there help with any suggestions?!! If Princess can offer Zumba on all their ships, so should Holland America!!! How can we make this happen?!!

I ditto the question of how can we get Zumba classes??? I love it and it is the most fun I have ever had getting a workout....I don't like gyms usually, but need to workout since food is my life and sometimes I over do:D In the city I live in which is a big one (nashville) there are over 400 classes offered each week somewhere. The class I take I am the youngest person at the age of 42. If you love to dance you would love Zumba.....

They have a Wii game machine in the crows nest, all you need is the Zumba game to zumba at any speed. ;)

What a great idea! I know people who love the Wii Zumba. Do you know if anyone can use the Wii game in the Crow's Nest or does the staff organize the use of it? In any event, bringing a Wii Zumba game on my next cruise sounds like a great plan. Hopefully there will be enough of us to convince the powers that be to let us use it!

Thanks for the suggestion!!

We love Holland America, but just returned from a Princess Cruise to Alaska. I discovered that ALL Princess Ships are now offering Zumba on board--for free! Princess does not set it in the gym as an exercise program. Instead one of their dancers teaches the class in a lounge. It makes the offering similar to any other dance lesson class. I was told that Holland America has a contract with another company to cover all activities in their gyms. Using Princess' technique that company wouldn't have to be involved in the Zumba classes.

We are going on the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings cruise next summer (2012). I don't want to give up Zumba for all that time. It's just too much fun and such great aerobic exercise! Great way to work off the calories from all the yummy food on board too!!

I have a year to work on this. Can anyone out there help with any suggestions?!! If Princess can offer Zumba on all their ships, so should Holland America!!! How can we make this happen?!!

On my December Maasdam cruise, there were some cruisers that were doing the Zumba class during the sailing. I was meaning to check it out,but never got around to do it.

Now I can't tell you how they arranged this,but was able to hold classes. It was told to me by a cruiser who I chatted with everyday. I can't tell you if a HAL gym staff member or a cruiser taught this class.

Prehaps you can head to the gym and ask.

P.S. They offer Zumba Gold in my area. This is a class for the mature ;)! It's always pack and those people have some moves!!!

Archived