Ordering more than one dish

On one of our Rhapsody cruises, DS who was 18 at the time, ordered two entrees each and every evening. It became quite funny when the waiter would take his entree order, then say, "and for your second entree?" Hey, he was young, skinny, and ate every single bite! :p

On our last cruise, I was the only experienced cruiser in the group of 4...I made sure to tell everyone, if you don't like it...say something! They will bring you another choice. I also told them, order as much food as you want, my family is known to order 2 of a lot of things. DH finally took my advice on the last night and ordered 2 entrees and 2 desserts...after finishing an appetizer and soup! :D

If one of our favorites is on the menu that night, my husband and I order two.

We will order two appetizers, I get two lobster tails, he orders the pasta entrée almost every night as a side dish to his regular entrée, and we've been doing this for about 34 years on RCCL.

Just ask for them when you first order, as people have stated above. Saves the waiter time and trouble.

Is the pasta size that your husband orders smaller than the entrée size? I know on Carnival they say on the menu that the pasta can be ordered as an appetizer size. I would have loved to order the pasta on RCCL at times, but didn't know I could get it as a side dish.

DW always orders two appetizers when Escagot is offered, along with any other appetizer or soup she might want. On another cruise a tablemat orderd the filet mignon (SP?) while I ordered the duck. He kept eyeing my entree and then asked the waiter to bring him one. He said the duck was better than the filet. Another member at the table always ordered two desserts. One night he had kept the previous nights menu and tried to order something from that. On our last cruise (a five nighter) the waiter asked my wife what she would like for dessert and she replied "Creme Broule" even though it isn't offered on short cruises. After the laughing stopped she said sherbert. My turn was next and I said the Creme Broule DW wasn't getting.

......... if you know you would want two lobster tails would you just ask for two of them when you order , i'm just wondering how you approach the waiter about ordering the extra dishes .

I say if you know you want two lobster tails or two steaks ahead of time, let your server know. It will be easier on both of you...The same goes for desserts and appertizers too.

On our last cruise, I was the only experienced cruiser in the group of 4...I made sure to tell everyone, if you don't like it...say something! They will bring you another choice. I also told them, order as much food as you want, my family is known to order 2 of a lot of things. DH finally took my advice on the last night and ordered 2 entrees and 2 desserts...after finishing an appetizer and soup! :D

I am sure the the server appreciated your help in making his job harder.

The only time we have ordered anything extra was on our last cruise when my husband kept trying to help me eat my french onion soup in Chops. I just asked the server if he could have his own because I did not want to share.

I am once again surprised by all of the things I am learning on CC. Just tonight I learned that there is a children's menu in the MDR and that I should go by the Solarium Bistro at lunch the day after lobster night, hoping for leftovers :) Seriously, that is good to know.

I am once again surprised by all of the things I am learning on CC. Just tonight I learned that there is a children's menu in the MDR and that I should go by the Solarium Bistro at lunch the day after lobster night, hoping for leftovers :) Seriously, that is good to know.

In the mood for chicken fingers? ;)

My DH is a big eater so he always orders 2 apps, 2 entrees, and leaves the dessert to me! We have never had a waiter that minded except on one cruise, he always had a horrible attitude when DH would order two different meals. We didn't let it bother us though, who knows what he was going through.

My DH requests 2 or more Lobsters the night before so the waiter knows before! Once our waiter brought a platter of lobsters to our table of 4, he said if we wanted more just let him know!

Iv been on well over 30 cruises in the last 10 years . Ive noticed food quality and quanity and selections and amount of selections slowly change . Not for our good but for the cruise ships bottom line. Ive had some of the best waiters and some that I think just arived for traning on the ship. I take it all in stride until it comes to what I want to eat. I personally dont care what the waiter thinks or fellow passengers. If I want 2 prime ribs they will bring me 2 prime ribs . Let your waiter know what you want. They cant read minds . Ive had very little trouble with waiters on ships if you let them know if there is something wrong of something you dont like. Most work for your tips. They want to make you happy. Last year on the Jewell on out trip to Europe we had problems with our waiter. Slow service, He brought our food cool not hot , He seemed to always be talking to another table . If we wanted something extra he would make funny faces . The 4th night of this I called the Materdee and explained the problems we were having. We were always the last table to finish . I hated to hurry to the shows and try to find a seat.{There were 5 of us together} . The next night we had a new server who was the best . The rest of cruise we had great service and its nice to have a waiter who smiled at you not act like you were bothering him. So dont forget what the Materdee is for . If I went to the Buffet Id get what I want so why do it diferent if you are in the MDR. I go on my cruises to get away from work and to eat. I also dont eat deserts but I like a bowl of fruit for my desert. Any one here who has sailed with me will now rember me . Ive never had any waiter refuse me that. This year on RCI , Celebrity and HAL all my waiters after the 1st night brought me a small bowl of berries for my desert without even asking . They all want to make you happy. I also tip extra above the auto deduction if I have good service. CARL

My DH is a big eater so he always orders 2 apps, 2 entrees, and leaves the dessert to me! We have never had a waiter that minded except on one cruise, he always had a horrible attitude when DH would order two different meals. We didn't let it bother us though, who knows what he was going through.

My DH requests 2 or more Lobsters the night before so the waiter knows before! Once our waiter brought a platter of lobsters to our table of 4, he said if we wanted more just let him know!

I was very lucky and took a tour of the food galley last year. For the most part, the kitchen can easily accomodate your request for several apps, entrees, side dishes, etc if the orders are placed when the waiter/waitress takes everyone's initial orders. It is more difficult to accomodate our requests when an additional request is made after that course has been served.

Bottom line - pig out if you want to, just ask for everything upfront. Also, being seated at a table closer to the kitchen will make it easier for your server to handle extra requests that you may place in the middle of a course.

I always order an appetizer AND soup or salad before the entree. This has been the norm with the table mates that we have had also, although maybe they were just following my lead so that we would be eating at the same time. I rarely eat dessert and I don't feel that I am taking liberties at all.

Our family has gone on 9 cruises together. My SIL is a big eater but doesn't look it. He works out DAILY at the gym, both onboard and at home. He always forewarns the waiter that he will be having 2 of this or that or lets them know he would like 2 different entrees. His son is now 16 and tall and skinny and has a huge appetite. On one of our first cruises, while taking our order, I was hesitant to decide between 2 appetizers and the waiter said, "why don't you try both?" I am always satisfied with one entree, but I've ordered 2 appetizers. My daughter raved about the tiramisu, which is her favorite dessert, but declined the waiter's offer to get a second one...and when we got ready to leave the table he had boxed a tiramisu "for later when you get hungry." We had one waiter in all our cruises who was less than stellar. On the first night, we were 15 minutes late, trying to change clothes because our luggage didn't arrive on time. At the end of the meal, as we were thanking him for such a wonderful meal, he said, "it could have been better if you arrived on time. If you will be here on time, I can give better service," with a bit of a "tude" included. Yes, we now know to carry a change in our carry-on, but seriously...not the way to start the cruise.

We have no problem ordering an extra entree. I while the waiter is taking our order i usually order an entree for us to try. Much better to order it when he is taking the order rather than after the meal is over as they have a pretty fast paced routine once the orders are in and they start serving.

On lobster night we each ordered the lobster plate and an extra prime rib to share. surf and turf. after we were done the waiter brought out (on his own) and extra lobster plate for each of us.

in all our cruises who was less than stellar. On the first night, we were 15 minutes late, trying to change clothes because our luggage didn't arrive on time. At the end of the meal, as we were thanking him for such a wonderful meal, he said, "it could have been better if you arrived on time. If you will be here on time, I can give better service," with a bit of a "tude" included. Yes, we now know to carry a change in our carry-on, but seriously...not the way to start the cruise.

I'm sorry, but I understand where the waiter was coming from. I don't think he had a "tude" based on what you posted. It makes it very difficult for the waiters when you are late. I'm not saying I don't understand your reason for being late, but the first night almost anything goes with clothes.

There are so many people, not you, that feel they can show up whenever they want and they will be served. I know that on Celebrity, a few years ago, that if you weren't in the dining room, I think within 15 minutes of the scheduled dining time, the doors were closed and you had to find another place to eat. One group on a sailing from San Juan arrived an hour late nightly. I wish that policy were on all ships as we have had wait while late comers arrived and expected to order a full dinner. The rest of us were then delayed with our meals so the late comers could catch up.

Anyway, this is off topic on this thread, but I am responding to a posting. I think anyone should order what he/she wants as long as they eat it and not just waste the food.

On the first night, we were 15 minutes late, trying to change clothes because our luggage didn't arrive on time. At the end of the meal, as we were thanking him for such a wonderful meal, he said, "it could have been better if you arrived on time. If you will be here on time, I can give better service," with a bit of a "tude" included. Yes, we now know to carry a change in our carry-on, but seriously...not the way to start the cruise.

He really shouldn't have said that. It was rude.

He really shouldn't have said that. It was rude.

Someone needs to say something! We were by the doors for early seating on our recent Grandeur cruise. People strolled in non-stop even up to 7:30! A head waiter looked at his watch when one group asked to be seated that late and asked if they meant for the 6:00 seating. (I'm sure he thought they were early for the late seating.) The man got ticked off and stormed out!

How do you think a wait staff can juggle several tables and several couples at large tables with every one arriving at different times. I say close the doors at 6:50 and let them go to the Windjammer! If you can't be on time pick MTD and don't inconvenience everyone else. If you get tied up and are more than 30 minutes late eat someplace else!

The waiter had every right to explain what was necessary for him/her to provide the excellent service that is expected of him.

If I remember right, the menus used to have the first course divided into salads/appetizers and soups, so it was expected you might order one of each. Now they are all together as one. DH and I still almost always each order an appetizer or salad, and soup. DH occasionally orders double entrees if he can't choose between two. His brother-in-law ordered two of everything, EACH night, on one of our cruises. He is slim, and I have no idea where he put all that food but he never wasted anything he ordered.

I asked for a second lobster tail "on the side" on one of our cruises, but the waiter brought me two full meals. :( I felt bad, as I didn't want and didn't have room for the rest of the food on the plate so it was wasted. I thought he would just grab an extra lobster tail and put it on my plate, but he did not. I have seen waiters carrying plates of just lobster tails for some of their tables, so I do think it is common to order more than one.

I think if someone wants two of something, and will eat them, it shouldn't be a problem. One can order as much as they want from room service, or take as much as they want at the buffet, so why should dinner be any different?

Archived