Journey Norwegian Fjords 6/18/10

BillC

Just got back last night from a wonderful 12 day cruise through the Norwegian Fjords. We thoroughly enjoyed our previous 2 Azamara cruises on the Quest, and enjoyed this one even more. This was Captain Johannes first as Master, and we were most fortunate since he lives in Bergen. He is in the same league as Carl Smith with a great sense of humor and with his continual availability about the ship. Heike was again our Hotel Director, and as great as ever. I don't think she sleeps since she was always around, and said good by each time we left the ship and welcomed us back when we returned. Eric was the cruise director and he is truly outstanding in the energy that he has instilled in the performers and the activity staff. He is a very interesting person and a puts on a fantastic show.A very positive addition to Azamara.

The strangest thing about this cruise was that Larry Pimentel and his wife got on several days before the cruise ended, and he became a "mystery figure". He went on several shore excursions, but never introduced himself although the staff and certainly most of the the Cruise Critic members knew who he was. We happened to sit with him at an excursion lunch one day and he acted as if he knew nothing about Azamara and its people. Additionally he did not ask any questions about our opinions or feelings. Even stranger was the fact that there were 2 excellent Cruise Critic receptions (many thanks to Marie-Claude for all her superb efforts in organizing our Roll Call!) that were attended by most all the ship's senior officers and featured bountiful drinks and savories. Everyone expected that Mr.Pimentel would attend the last session since he was on board, but he did not show. What a great, missed opportunity to get feedback and suggestions from a most positive and concerned group of supporters!

I really liked to the changes (particularly since we booked at the old prices! The wines were of generally good quality, and plentiful and the total absence of "nickeling and diming" was much appreciated. Despite the inclusion of tips we still felt compelled to tip several of the staff who were way above and beyond the excellent friendly and professional service that we had experienced on Azamara.

The ship was only half full, split evenly between North Americans and mostly Europeans. This made the ship even more "uncrowded" but greatly concerns me about Azamara's marketing and sales efforts, particularly with the excellent itinerary that we had. For several days we had native guides for the excursions who had worked with RCCL before, and several of them stayed on the ship for several nights providing excellent insight and commentary from the bridge. On several occasions the Captain deviated from the published routine and provided some fantastic surprises for our amazement.

Bottom line is that we think that Azamara has significantly enhanced their product and service and has many itineraries that interest us.I am concerned over their ability to market this product that is now at a much increased price per day. They need to get their Land operations as good as the shipboard operation, and complete the migration quickly, including Le Club Voyage.

BillC,

Thank you for your report. Once again I am encouraged by another great experience on Azamara. I just hope that the word about this excellent product gets out before it's too late.

Welcome Home!!!!

I've been anxiously awaiting feedback from your sailing as I know many of you are not only experienced cruisers, but have been on Azamara previously.

Your itinerary is one we plan on doing in the future, so I'm very happy to hear how well it's done onboard...

We sail in Oct/Nov so your feedback about the changes is appreciated

What was your status with Le Club Voyage and did you receive all of advertised benefits?

Regarding Larry Pimentel...I can understand CEO's going undercover to observe, but once it's obvious they are known..He should have been very forthright.

I think he missed out on a Golden opportunity for feedback from the market share he wants to attract and retain.

While none us will know his real reasons for this.

IMHO Azamara is really at a pivotal point... They've got a phenomenal product but they to need to be aware of the perception, speculation and assumption they create with each move of a "game piece" as they go forward.

We are Celebrity Elites and the back of our Azamara ship card had a sticker that said that we were a "Discover Member". We got all the benefits that are advertised although the internet package is administered somewhat strangely. You have to sign up for the $99.95 package, which is charged to your bill and then 3 days later our account was credited the same amount. Internet service was spotty during most of the cruise due to the very north location and the height of the fjords.Live TV reception was also very poor.

There were several Le Club receptions at the Looking Glass that provided free drinks. Several others had drinks at 50% off for set times. A lot of wines in the MDR were also offered at a discount if did not like the red or white selection that evening.

We are Celebrity Elites and the back of our Azamara ship card had a sticker that said that we were a "Discover Member". We got all the benefits that are advertised although the internet package is administered somewhat strangely. You have to sign up for the $99.95 package, which is charged to your bill and then 3 days later our account was credited the same amount. Internet service was spotty during most of the cruise due to the very north location and the height of the fjords.Live TV reception was also very poor.

There were several Le Club receptions at the Looking Glass that provided free drinks. Several others had drinks at 50% off for set times. A lot of wines in the MDR were also offered at a discount if did not like the red or white selection that evening.

thanks!

I will be Discoverer on our cruises in Oct/Nov of this year

Just a FYI, I'm Elite with Princess and they process the free internet package the same way...I sign up, I'm charged and then the charge is reversed.

One more topic...

did you utilized the Discoverer laundry benefits?

and were you both allowed one bag or one per cabin???

Being similar voyages, perhaps you folks may like to cross reference another thread (now starting their voyage two weeks behind you) on this board. That thread has wonderful pictures coming. We hope we can get on the Azamara Journey in August 2011 for Copenhagen - Norwegian Coast - Iceland, so we read what we can on similar voyages on this board. Can you describe more on the ports, what are they like, dock or tender, taxis available right by the ship, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I did the June 6th Baltic cruise and TV reception was also terrible. No excuse for this as I sailed on Princess South of New Zealand and South of Australia and TV reception was great all the time. There is no reason for Azamara to be using a Satellite provider from the Arabic (Middle Eastern) countries. Many of the stations we received during our Baltic Cruise had subtitles in Arabic and advertisements for concerts coming to Abu Dabi.

Dear Greyhound...

with all do respect, in this case it is not the cruiseline

with the issue it is the location on the globe

I did 3 Baltic Cruises on Princess and each cruise had television and internet issues..

I remember this distinctly because on my 1st B2B I was with my mom

and I had just gotten engaged 2 weeks before...

Every free minute on "at sea" days and after I returned from

port was spent attempting to get online to begin

planning my wedding since I wouldn't be home for another month.

It was extrememly frustrating how much the internet would

go up and down and this included being near major port cities.

K

Being similar voyages, perhaps you folks may like to cross reference another thread (now starting their voyage two weeks behind you) on this board. That thread has wonderful pictures coming. We hope we can get on the Azamara Journey in August 2011 for Copenhagen - Norwegian Coast - Iceland, so we read what we can on similar voyages on this board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks, Meow, for bringing this thread to our attention. Looks like it will be great fun to follow along! The pictures and commentary are great!

Many thanks. :)

. There is no reason for Azamara to be using a Satellite provider from the Arabic (Middle Eastern) countries. Many of the stations we received during our Baltic Cruise had subtitles in Arabic and advertisements for concerts coming to Abu Dabi.

Fully agree. Geographically, for the Baltics, bring in the BBC instead of some middle east broadcast.

with all do respect, in this case it is not the cruiseline

with the issue it is the location on the globe

Lucky you to have been on Johannes' first cruise as Master of the Journey! I've sailed several times with him on SD and there is none better;). Azamara is very lucky to have him onboard, and I - who would never have considered an Azamara cruise in the past - will be watching for the opportunity to sail with him in the Baltic next spring!

Very happy to hear that your cruise was so successful!

alita

I had the pleasure of sailing with Bill C and his wife and even enjoyed the last night with them at dinner.

Everything he mentioned I second. Cruise ports were great and really showed some of the best of the fjords of Norway - Geiranger, Flam, Eidfjord - in particular. You must do the all day Flam, Voss, Stalheim hotel excursion - the most expensive but to me the best. We had a wonderful buffet lunch included in Voss. The excursion staff was very involved in doing the trips with us and making note of the good and not so good of each. Though the local guides were by and large very good, the excurision in Molde was 5 hours and we could have done the same in perhaps 2. The first stop over the city was a non-stop since you couldn't see anything for the fog - not the ship's fault, but perhaps if they do plan that stop, it should be later in the day when the fog has a chance to burn off - otherwise a waste of time.

Geiranger trip up to 7 Sisters and then down and up the otherside way up above the timber line and into the ice fields was very dramatic.

Ship half full was like a private yacht I must admit. Wines included I felt were all excellent but I'm not an expert and prefer whites. We did get the internet package - one each for 237 (?) minutes since we are elite. Only used one since reception was not available in several places. Only received one laundry coupon per room, which I found odd as did another CC passenger who upgraded to a suite two doors down from us. However, since ship had self-service laundry, we were able to do just fine. I, for one, and my husband appreciate the casualness of the ship, especially after having traveled to Eastern Mediterranean on Cunard (12 nights - 5 formal, 7 semi-formal). Who wants to travel with all those clothes by air these days.

I hope Azamara continues to thrive. The crew is a very happy one and it shows everywhere. Captain Johannes was the best.

Any more questions, just post.

Mary Ann

The mysterious Mr. Dogster was on the same cruise and liked it so much he extended at the last moment, doing the next trip to St. Petersburg, Helsinki etc. etc. To his great surprise even the curmudgeonly cruise critic members were kind to him. I can report that the General's lady was, indeed, a great lady and the General himself a unique and fascinating companion in the leper's corner [smoking].

The exigencies of a Thai airlines cheapo flight meant he had to jump ship two days early, just yesterday in Stockholm. Today he finds himself in Bangkok.

Mr. Dogster will reveal all about the even more mysterious Mr. Pimentall in a while, once he gets over this pesky jet lag. There is much to be said - none of it bad. Sometimes the most obvious answer to a puzzle is the right one.

Perhaps the mystery C.E.O. was just on holiday with his family. This is, I believe, a not unknown concept.

All will be revealed.

I plan to book this trip next Aug.,,,but need to know if seas are very rough ,generally, around this area....as it is North Sea,,,,very prone to seasickness....Also, is it best to get cabin,,want deluxe with verandah, on 7th deck,,on right side for views,,,,since this one was half full,,,should I wait for better deals????Like to hold off since want "cancel for any reason ins." and have to pay at time of booking/

Also, did any of you have ins.problems due to volcano,,,and do you know how it was handled on Azamara"??Would hate to get stuck with no cruise, and no air,,,refunds....Can you tell me if bathroom s are REALLY small, or typical of most ships...just got off SeaDream and it was so tiny as to be non functioning for tall person,,,if you get my drift....so that ship nixed for any future bookings....plus, lack of balcony, whew,,,,thats now a deal breaker.....What about Copehagen? worth more than a few days prior,,or not that??Thanks for your help,,,,,in advance:)

Seas were smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom. Either side for views. Fiords tend to be both sides of the ship. It's in the nature of fiords, I think. Azamara is highly recommended. Relax, just do it. Closer to the time, we'll advise you on shore excursions. Easy booking gets the rates, I think. Late booking [me - 8 days before] gets you nuttin' at all.

No problems with the volcano but we did fly in early to spend aweek in northern Norway, and then flew to Copenhagen for a few days before boarding. Copenhagen is a very dynamic city with lots to see and do beyond the Little Mermaid (who currently is in Shanghai) and Tivoli Gardens which is somewhat quaint but much like other amusement parks in the world. There are many restaurants there but rather expensive. Today's travel section of the NY Times has an excellent article about the Copenhagen scene and various top knotch restaurants.

Dogster: Larry Pimentel was certainly " on business" while on this cruise since he was observed multiple time by Cruise Critic members conducting meetings with ship personnel and the officers. His wife, Sandy, was a very friendly person . She advised us that their 4 children were flying in to join them on the Baltic cruise.

Not sure how I missed this post since I came back, but I just found it!

Greetings to my fellow cruisers on this wonderful cruise!

I think Bill C gave a fair review and I agree with most of what he says!!

Glad to know that the Dogster made his way home without too much damage... and I can't wait to hear what he has to say about the mysterious Mr. Pimentel... I for one saw him on several occasion conducting business with the Captain and several senior officers... but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt!

As for all future cruisers, this is a truly unique itinerary. Several cruises will touch on the fjords then go on to cruise up to North Cape. While I haven't done that part, I was told that we were very privileged as we got to really explore the most beautiful part of Norway. The seas were very calm - the calmest I've ever cruised on! And the size of this ship allowed us to get into the narrowest nooks and crannies... it was truly amazing.

I will definitely post a review of the ports as there was so little information available when I was planning this cruise.

In the meantime, I posted several albums (one per port) on my Picasa page:

Check it out here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcdessureault

Cheers,

MC

Thanks Marie Claire for posting the lovely photos. We're booked on same cruise next August and are really looking forward to it especially after seeing your photos! I was glad to hear the seas were calm. I see you also did a med cruise last October, What were the seas like on It?

Thanks Vivien

Thanks Marie Claire for posting the lovely photos. We're booked on same cruise next August and are really looking forward to it especially after seeing your photos! I was glad to hear the seas were calm. I see you also did a med cruise last October, What were the seas like on It?

Thanks Vivien

Vivien,

Glad to know that some of the pics were inspiring! The pictures do NOT render justice to the magnificient scenery we had all through the cruise though. So you are in for a treat!

The Med was also very calm, but we cruised mostly along the Turkish Coast. We had somewhat rougher seas crossing from Egypt to Italy, but nothing too harsh. My Mom had to take some sea sickness pills for sleeping but I didn't.

MC :)

Vivien,

Glad to know that some of the pics were inspiring! The pictures do NOT render justice to the magnificient scenery we had all through the cruise though. So you are in for a treat!

The Med was also very calm, but we cruised mostly along the Turkish Coast. We had somewhat rougher seas crossing from Egypt to Italy, but nothing too harsh. My Mom had to take some sea sickness pills for sleeping but I didn't.

MC :)

Sorry Marie- Claude for getting your name wrong should have double checked!

Thanks for the reply hopefully your Mom didn't need sea sicknes pills every night as my DH would be prone to motion sickness.

We are going from Barcelona to Rome and I am a bit anxious about the sea at the end of October.

Vivien

Yup Emdee... the evil Dogster was on board.

Stay tuned for the story. As my last one about Azamara was deleted within seconds from Cruise Critic, somehow I don't the next one will be in here. Several C.C. members will feature in the next one...

Hey Dogster:

John says hi as do I. Don't forget to send the Quest review to our email which I believe I gave you. If not, let me know and we'll communicate somehow.

There seems to be a lot of interest in Norway. I certainly can understand why. Googled all about Tap Dogs. Very interesting. I'm sure I saw it them at the Olympics on TV because we are big fans of Olympics. But as I get older my memory is not as good.

If I had known, I would have gotten your autograph :).

Be well. Perhaps we'll see you in Tasmania one day.

Mary Ann

Archived