Why are the rolls so bad?

Hard to believe that I am keeping this thread going, but alas...I love it when the Asst Waiter comes by with the bread basket. We used to see who could come up with the most crumbs. One waitress held a competition one cruise...we were a happy and contented group. Keep the breads coming.

Food is always subjective.

We're just back from Explorer of the Seas. DH LOVED the savory bites, as most folks do. I didnt. I preferred the sourdough rolls which were perfect for sourdough rolls. I doubt these are baked on board, but baking & taste has a lot to do with the water used.

[marci, any bread products are by far better here on the east coast, moreso in NY than NJ, but I agree that taste is regional, it is what folks get used to]

OP: try the sliced bread, it is soft.

Oh believe me all bread products are made on board, every Galley tour I have been on they show off the bread baking section,really envy those huge mixing machines and the bags of all the different flours are amazing.

Saw the guys making the flaky pastry for the Danish, was really impressed.

They are absolutely, definitely baked on board. Freshly made more than once a day.

I love webshots!

SAVORY BITES:

2613107160103901108S600x600Q85.jpg

On Carnival the same rolls are served every nite...only one kind and some sliced italian bread.. The rolls on carnival are soft and undercooked...Much prefers RCL's esp the savory bites

Because of their popularity, we have found on recent cruises that they aren't offering them, but if you ask, they have them hidden in the bottom of the basket.

That's so pathetic. I wonder if savory bites cost more and they don't want to give them out????

My family loves the bread on RCI ships. My favorites are sour dough, savory bites and corn bread. I always have seconds.

We just got off the Mariner and no one was hiding the savory bites. Our table was offered seconds and thirds.

On the Liberty, they have Savory Bites and are on the tray with all the other breads to choose from. We love all the breads served on the ship and manage to definitely eat our share of them. ;) In the dining room at lunch, we love the bread basket with all the varieties to eat. Bread is a weakness with butter but hey....we are on a cruise, LOL.

Love, love, love the sourdough rolls. I eat them at breakfast in the WJ and at dinner. Actually, anytime I can get them. Crusty breads are one of my weaknesses, especially with real butter, which I never have at home.

And yes, all the bread, including the plain white bread used for toast at breakfast, are baked on board daily. No preservatives, so they aren't like packaged bread you find in your grocery store.

. Plus I think it is a European thing to have hard rolls.

This is true. In general, breads in Europe are SOOO much better. You can find good breads in the US, but the mass produced soft white breads and rolls are next to worthless.

Now I think this thread should revisit another recent topic, where there was a spirited discussion about the awful yellow American mustard some people like and others hate:D

This is true. In general, breads in Europe are SOOO much better. You can find good breads in the US, but the mass produced soft white breads and rolls are next to worthless.

Now I think this thread should revisit another recent topic, where there was a spirited discussion about the awful yellow American mustard some people like and others hate:D

Yes I agree with the bread being better in Europe, which is probably why I dont like RC bread, our supermarket bread is far better than cruise bread.

I can't begin to exclaim how much my wife and I LOVE the rolls. So very sad to say that the rolls themselves are among the highlights of the trip. My mouth waters just thinking about the crusty rolls. Ahhhhhh....

I don't eat much bread on the cruise, but it's because I simply can't hold all that food meal after meal . . . and I like the salads, soups, and entrees better than the bread. Something has to go, and the bread's what I enjoy least. It isn't bad . . . it just isn't as good as the other items.

They aren't "bad"or "terrible". You just don't happen to like them. There is a big difference. Many, as you can see from the posts on the thread, love the rolls served in the MDR. Some do not. De gustibus....:rolleyes:
So many people -- adults! -- don't understand this simple concept. Bad or terrible food would be undercooked, burned, moldy, or otherwise . . . well, bad. But something that's not to your personal taste isn't necessarily bad! I cooked a new pasta recipe a few days ago. My children thought it was awful . . . but the truth is that it was just a bit "too adult" for their tastes.
That's so pathetic. I wonder if savory bites cost more and they don't want to give them out????
I read somewhere that when restaurants design their menus, they list the most profitable item in each category THIRD on the menu because people tend to order the third thing. I've paid attention to this a couple times, and I think there's some truth to it. This could be along the same lines.

I love the crusty rolls!

LOL...I guess that's just another example of everyone's tastes being different.

I always have multiples of the sourdough and the savory bites at dinner.

Yummy!

I hope you found something else to your liking...maybe some of the sliced bread selections??

You're right...I guess everyone's tastes are very different. I too love the sourdough rolls and the savory bites. I love bread (unfortunately:() and have never been disappointed in the breads served at dinner.

Seriously, this is one of the only things i don't like about dinner. The rolls are terrible. Hard and crunchy, and they flake all over the place. Some simple Pillsbury rolls are better than the one RCI has. Does anyone know why they are so bad? lol.

To each his own. We are ADDICTED to the sourdough rolls on RCCL cruises. Crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside, and warm. Oh YEAH!!!

mmmm crusty bread .so crispy that on a good day the edge might cut you just a little.nothing i hate worse than soft air filled bread .my italian grandmother would smack the taste out of my mouth if i brought soft easy to chew bread to sunday dinner.sourdough rolls are great

But, we were just on Enchantment - the sourdough rolls were awesome - but there was a whole grain roll - with sesame seeds, and something else on the crust - they only had them on 2 different nights - but they were just over the top!!!!

DH does the savory bites - but they just don't do anything for me.

Yes I agree with the bread being better in Europe, which is probably why I dont like RC bread, our supermarket bread is far better than cruise bread.

Our supermarket bread is better than cruise bread which is probably why I don't care for the cruise bread

:cj

Archived