Nighttime Attire: Pants vs. Shorts? (Not Formal Nights)

purelygeneric

With a low in the upper 70s - I'm not sure whether or not pants or shorts are the way to go at night. I'm talking about after-dinner activities off the ship. How will I find people dressed walking along Front Street and at the restaurants/bars at night?

With a low in the upper 70s - I'm not sure whether or not pants or shorts are the way to go at night. I'm talking about after-dinner activities off the ship. How will I find people dressed walking along Front Street and at the restaurants/bars at night?

We were wondering the same thing as well. We want to go to see "Harbour Nights" in Hamilton the Wednesday evening we dock! We'll take the ferry over from Kings Wharf and get there near 7:00 pm. We think it may be breezy on the ferry going and coming and maybe dockers/slacks would be better. Nothing fancy, just comfy, sneakers, etc. How do most folks dress for Harbour Nights? I'm sure it's very casual.

We'll be sailing from NYC on NCL Dawn 8/29/10.

Any suggestions will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

We were wondering the same thing as well. We want to go to see "Harbour Nights" in Hamilton the Wednesday evening we dock! We'll take the ferry over from Kings Wharf and get there near 7:00 pm. We think it may be breezy on the ferry going and coming and maybe dockers/slacks would be better. Nothing fancy, just comfy, sneakers, etc. How do most folks dress for Harbour Nights? I'm sure it's very casual.

Sounds perfect.

Harbour Night is fun. Enjoy it!

Sounds perfect.

Harbour Night is fun. Enjoy it!

Kathy, Thanks! Think that's the game plan. Just have to figure out the best time for the regular Ferry (not through the Ship), so we're there before 7:00....Will check the schedules when we are there. Wondering if we can buy the Ferry Pass onboard the Dawn or wait until we dock? I know its cash when we dock. Either way, no problem, just convenience.

thanks again!

I don't think there is much chance you are going to be chilly on the ferry at the end of August. But that is something you can judge that night.

Shorts are fine for Harbour Nights. Most people were wearing shorts including the vendors.

http://chasfotos.smugmug.com/Travel/Veendam-to-Bermuda/12702585_ZZEXL#914108989_3dhCt

Even the announcer on the bandstand.

http://chasfotos.smugmug.com/Travel/Veendam-to-Bermuda/12702585_ZZEXL#914109896_JNpfX

They're called Bermuda shorts for a reason -- they are standard mens wear - day or night --that does not mean runnng or gym shorts - and usually, but not absolutely necessarily, worn with knee socks, which makes them acceptable anywhere in Bermuda -- including with a tuxedo jacket for formal events.

I'm not sure most cruisers going ashore wearing shorts, will be wearing 'Bermudas' , shirt and tie, blazer, knee socks and dress shoes. :) A handsome look when put together well but really........ 'ya think there'll be a lot of male guests leaving Veendam dressed that way? :D If so, 'good for them'. They will show excellent care and attention to their appearance. :)

I'm not sure most cruisers going ashore wearing shorts, will be wearing 'Bermudas' , shirt and tie, blazer, knee socks and dress shoes. :) A handsome look when put together well but really........ 'ya think there'll be a lot of male guests leaving Veendam dressed that way? :D If so, 'good for them'. They will show excellent care and attention to their appearance. :)

There were a couple of guests on the Veendam dressed that way. They were from Bermuda though.

There is no issue with wearing regular shorts in Bermuda. And lots of young females were wearing short shorts. Of course if you go out to a good restaurant you would want to wear long pants. I do the same at home. Going to Panera, shorts are fine. To a sit down restaurant I don't wear shorts although a lot of those it is okay these days.

Once we get into the realm of "most cruisers", all bets are off ----

think "formal night".

I don't think there is much chance you are going to be chilly on the ferry at the end of August. But that is something you can judge that night.

Shorts are fine for Harbour Nights. Most people were wearing shorts including the vendors.

http://chasfotos.smugmug.com/Travel/Veendam-to-Bermuda/12702585_ZZEXL#914108989_3dhCt

Even the announcer on the bandstand.

http://chasfotos.smugmug.com/Travel/Veendam-to-Bermuda/12702585_ZZEXL#914109896_JNpfX

Thanks for the reply and the great pictures! I'm sure we won't be cold. We'll probably end up w/ appropriate shorts and tops! Can't wait to be there :-)

Archived