Larry P under the radar

cindilouwho

I have absolutely no idea what happened aboard the ship when Larry P was onboard with his wife and kids and I am neither condoning nor criticizing his actions. I am just giving an opinion.

I was in the travel industry for 17 years and in that time I had the opportunity to travel far and wide on behalf of various tour companies that I worked for. One position I held was Director, Quality Control for a very large tour operator. When I went to destination to check things out ... which was my job ...... I NEVER identified myself to passengers or to hotel and airline staff that didn't recognize me. What it allowed me to do was to listen to peoples' very objective comments - both pro and con. When folks know who you are the comments change - usually for the worse and/or tend to become exaggerated. It is a natural thing to over emphasize a situation to your own benefit. Not being judgemental here, just stating the facts. I did also get my share of compliments too.

Perhaps he was trying to view things from a customers standpoint. I don't know. From my limited experience with him, I found him to be receptive and helpful. I had the occasion to email him and I received a response within hours, even on the weekend.

I have found that AZ has been one of the most keen cruise lines to elicit comments from passengers so before this man is completely hung out to dry - let's see if things improve even further! Actions speak louder than words and the onboard experience of an AZ sailing not only satifies but in my estimation exceeds expectations.

My 5 cents (CAD plus HST and inflation) :)

I would chime in and say that if the president of Azamara was on board with his wife and his children, he may not be on a fact-finding trip but on vacation.

I would not like people to bug me if I were on vacation. If he were around soliciting opinions, that is one thing. If he wanted to enjoy his solitude and his family, I would let him alone.

I agree with the views being expressed on this topic.

I would add that comparing the CEO of O to the CEO of A, and then criticizing the CEO of A for not actively posting on this board is somewhat self-serving.

That being said, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It all depends on the purpose of his trip,

Was it advertised as a "presidents cruise"? if so, he should have been accessable.

If he was on vacation, well then he's on vacation......

From my understanding, Larry arrived on board after a conference and his wife and children joined him for the cruise.

I always find that if you vacation on your company's products, it always becomes a busman's holiday!! I am sure that he worked more than he should have. Vacations are very important to your health....as I am sure ALL of us who love our cruises would agree!!!! ;)

I doubt very much that he was on vacation. It's more like cindilouwho suggested.

For one, he was observed having meetings with officers; for another, I would not take my vacation at my "work place". He can certainly afford any cruise line he choses for vacation (Silversea, Seabourne,etc). I believe he was "undercover" and decided to have his family join him. He wanted to get observations without solicitation; perhaps he was not counting on having his cover blown.

The above posters make very valid points

I do think there are always several sides to a story...

and no one is really ever aware of all those sides...

Whatever Larry's purpose of the trip was...vacation or under the radar observation...

It wasn't announced/advertised/promised that he would be onboard

My initial thought is he should have switched gears just a bit and showed up at the CruiseCritic party as soon as it was realized that he was onboard.

but then again..we will never know why he didn't

maybe he had a migraine or was feeling ill...

I agree, I think that this falls into the category of a "missed opportunity". When you are the top man and decider at any company, I would submit that being "on vacation" is a relative term. Admittedly, that sort of thing should never be abused ( wishful thinking on my part), but still, feedback from current customers under informal circumstances can be worth a great deal if not priceless. Perhaps he just isn't comfortable with strangers, but in any case there was an opportunity to meet and greet as well as interact which could have been useful in my opinion and promoted Azamara's Image a bit.

I do not see it as a missed opportunity at all - I am sure his wife and children were also able to give him their perspectives and he would be able to see things for himself - for example how was the experience on shore excursions. As soon as he reveals himself and gives the signal that he is happy to take feedback, his holiday is over

Why would he give money to a competitor for his holiday

And if he and his wife want to show their children some European sights, why would he go to the hassle of sorting out another way of seeing it if he knows a great cruise that can do that for him!!

I have absolutely no idea what happened aboard the ship when Larry P was onboard with his wife and kids and I am neither condoning nor criticizing his actions. I am just giving an opinion.

I was in the travel industry for 17 years and in that time I had the opportunity to travel far and wide on behalf of various tour companies that I worked for. One position I held was Director, Quality Control for a very large tour operator. When I went to destination to check things out ... which was my job ...... I NEVER identified myself to passengers or to hotel and airline staff that didn't recognize me. What it allowed me to do was to listen to peoples' very objective comments - both pro and con. When folks know who you are the comments change - usually for the worse and/or tend to become exaggerated. It is a natural thing to over emphasize a situation to your own benefit. Not being judgemental here, just stating the facts. I did also get my share of compliments too.

Perhaps he was trying to view things from a customers standpoint. I don't know. From my limited experience with him, I found him to be receptive and helpful. I had the occasion to email him and I received a response within hours, even on the weekend.

I have found that AZ has been one of the most keen cruise lines to elicit comments from passengers so before this man is completely hung out to dry - let's see if things improve even further! Actions speak louder than words and the onboard experience of an AZ sailing not only satifies but in my estimation exceeds expectations.

My 5 cents (CAD plus HST and inflation) :)

I'm glad you posted this. It seems like it's open season on attacking Mr. Pimentel.

Whether one likes the decisions made at Azamara or not, it's no excuse to personally question the ceo's interest, desire, or willingness to provide a quality product for his cruise line. Just my opinion.

I'm glad you posted this. It seems like it's open season on attacking Mr. Pimentel.

Whether one likes the decisions made at Azamara or not, it's no excuse to personally question the ceo's interest, desire, or willingness to provide a quality product for his cruise line. Just my opinion.

I agree ..... none of us know enough to question his choices.

I feel compelled to put a word in, since I sort of brought up the topic of Mr. Pimentel (sorry, I don't know him enough to call him Larry) being on board on the June 18 cruise...

Just to put some things in perspective, the man can do whatever he wants, whether he was on 'vacation' or on 'duty'. He chooses the way to conduct his business.

But one thing is FOR SURE, his presence was not to be undercover as it was announced at the CC party, and at the Captain's Toast. Several staff openly spoke about him coming and getting things ready for him. So no secret here...

I didn't expect for him to come around the tables and start up a chat with everyone... My remark was simply that on a few occasions where we were talking to Heike, the Captain or other officers, he came to get them without even saying hello, which would have been basic politeness. We often saw him sitting in the Mosaic or Discovery Lounge with, again, Heike, the Staff Captain, the F&B Manager etc. - not his family. They would say hello to us, and he, would just stare. I thought it was odd. That's all...

Again, I'm sure he is more than competent at what he does, and is definitely restructuring a cruiseline that needs to find its identity. I'm sure he knows exactly what he's doing - he sure acts like it!! The last thing he needs is for a bunch of 'Cruise Critics' to start telling him what he should do, and not do... he's heard it loud and clear during the LIVE Q&A he did a few months ago. A simple hello and thank you for your business at the CC party would have been a nice touch!

That's it for me!!!

MC

Marie-Claude and others:

As usual, MC hit the nail on the head. Of course, he can do what he wants and when he wants, but when it's known you're on board and you are clearly seeking input in front of passengers with your staff, a smile or slight jesture would have sufficed and a drop-in at CC would have done wonders based on the comments I heard. People probably would have shared their enthusiasm for Azamara and in particular this trip and this captain - a reassuring thought.

Well, we've beaten that horse to death haven't we.

Mary Ann

Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick. All this speculation about this guy's motivation is like playing Clue.

The fact is,he screwed up big time and all of you know it. And,in my opinion,that was not his first.

Cheers ;)

Have been reading all the commentary and I just have to add one funny story. On the last day of the cruise (day at sea) we spent the day with our friends at the outdoor pool by the spa. We felt like we were on our private yacht; it was such a magnificent day. Near the end of the day we realized we were really running late for getting to the CC party. So, I ran to the room to shower and get ready and my husband decided to shower at the spa. The place was empty. After his shower he realized he forgot to take a towel with him. Just as he stepped out of the shower and was crossing the room to pick up a towel...guess who comes through the spa door....none other than Larry! Ed continued on his way towards the towels, picked one up and said hello Larry. Larry did say hello...Ed continued to chat saying what a wonderful time we were having etc. They exchanged pleasantries and that was about it. We had such a good laugh about it...reminded us of an old "Seinfeld" episode. As Eric the cruise director said..."OMG you were only wearing your mustache?" Anyway the point is he wasn't under the weather...there is no reason he coudn't be at the CC party...he chose to be at the spa instead which I agree with others was a missed opportunity. P.S. Marie-Claude...really enjoyed your photos.

On the last day of the cruise (day at sea) we spent the day with our friends at the outdoor pool by the spa. .

Outdoor pool by the Spa? Could anyone use the Spa showers, or is it only for those who have booked Spa appointments?

Could anyone use the Spa showers, or is it only for those who have booked Spa appointments?

Anyone can use the steam rooms and showers from the Spa - it's kinda of a little secret that's well kept... At our first CC party, the Spa Manager told me about it and said a lot of people actually go there to shower instead of the getting crowded in the cabin!!

Travelsuek, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures... I'm getting through posting comments and captions on my Picasa albums... not a little task!!!

MC

Hi Sue and Marie-Claude:

I just read your comments to John, Sue, and we got a big laugh out of your story. Sorry we missed seeing you the last day except for a quick glance at the CC party.

I ,too, have been going through Marie-Claude's pictures and have pronounced to my friends at work that they are much better than ours. You really have an eye for framing the pictures and a lot of patience for taking all of them. I have told John from now on we are bringing two cameras so I can capture what I want and he can capture what he wants. I like having more people in them.

I'm glad our CC group is staying in touch.

Hi to Maureen and Richie and Ed. I can see in my head "Mr. Cool" now parading around in his "birthday suit" :)

M.A.

I feel compelled to put a word in, since I sort of brought up the topic of Mr. Pimentel (sorry, I don't know him enough to call him Larry) being on board on the June 18 cruise...

Just to put some things in perspective, the man can do whatever he wants, whether he was on 'vacation' or on 'duty'. He chooses the way to conduct his business.

But one thing is FOR SURE, his presence was not to be undercover as it was announced at the CC party, and at the Captain's Toast. Several staff openly spoke about him coming and getting things ready for him. So no secret here...

I didn't expect for him to come around the tables and start up a chat with everyone... My remark was simply that on a few occasions where we were talking to Heike, the Captain or other officers, he came to get them without even saying hello, which would have been basic politeness. We often saw him sitting in the Mosaic or Discovery Lounge with, again, Heike, the Staff Captain, the F&B Manager etc. - not his family. They would say hello to us, and he, would just stare. I thought it was odd. That's all...

Again, I'm sure he is more than competent at what he does, and is definitely restructuring a cruiseline that needs to find its identity. I'm sure he knows exactly what he's doing - he sure acts like it!! The last thing he needs is for a bunch of 'Cruise Critics' to start telling him what he should do, and not do... he's heard it loud and clear during the LIVE Q&A he did a few months ago. A simple hello and thank you for your business at the CC party would have been a nice touch!

That's it for me!!!

MC

Hi Everyone !

Just getting back from 2 wonderful weeks on Solstice. Very Interesting thread. I agree with the general consensus that it's not fair for us to question what Mr Pimentel did or didn't do while onboard, as we werent there. As President of Azamara, it's his call on how he presents himself. In business, some leaders choose to make themselves quite visible, and some do not.

BTW, I think Marie-Claude's post above, was spot on.

I thought that Mr. Pimental should have been on a ship in April when the new Club started. I was on the first April cruise which had tons of TAs and Royal Caribbean people on board. I am not aTA and do not work for RCL. It was often annoying sitting with people at meals who wanted to talk about the changes. I wanted to just enjoy my vacation. It was tough. After a few days, I felt like I was constantly being asked "what do you think of the new Azamara?" I don't mind a question once in awhile, but it seemed to a constant bombarding of opinion takers. It was worse than those annoying telemarketers. We then chose to dine at a table for 2. The crowd was very skewed with people in the travel business. I had a good time, but I wouldn't ever suggest that you take a cruise on a line that is initiating a new program. My previous Azamara cruises were much nicer....more interesting people and a lot more fun.

Archived