Have you traveled with only a carry on?

bcnvcanada

I think it depends on your definition of a carry-on. To me, a carry-on is a small bag I can put under the seat in front of me. To others, it's a suitcase that can be squeezed into an overhead bin. For my almost five-week cruise a couple of years ago, I brought one 25" bag and an 18" bag. Total. We had weather that ranged from cold and windy to hot and humid so I had to pack for three seasons.

One couple I met on this cruise brought only carry-ons each. They wore lightweight safari-type clothing all the time and layers if it was colder. They ate in the buffet every night (their choice) and seemed to be having a great time. No one said anything even though you saw them in the same clothes throughout the cruise.

Like Go-Bucks, I pack clothing that's mix 'n match, nothing gets packed that can't be worn with at least two other things, and I bring only travel sized toiletries. Before I was Elite, I did a load of laundry a couple of times a week but now I just send it out every couple of days. :)

We always travel with two 21" bags and two shoulder bags. If you plan well and use the laundry you can do it. When we used to bring extra suitcases we found that we generally packed things that we really did not need. On our upcoming cruise (12 days) we will be in a Suite so we can have our laundry done daily. I will wear a sports coat and a pair of jeans on the plane to save packing space.

I'm so pleased to see this topic so well-received here. I posted a similar "can I make it with carry-ons only for a 10-day cruise," in one of the generic Ask A Cruise Question topics, and people acted like I was the cheapest, craziest person on the face of the earth for even asking the question. I've decided that, while I am cheap, I'm not crazy, and that we're going to do it successfully by doing a load of laundry midway through the trip. Not much of a sacrifice for the convenience of not hauling half the house with us on our trip.

We are going on a transatlantic in Sept and will need anything from shorts to wind pants and heavy jackets. Because we will be in Europe for 10 days before we leave Southampton, England we will rent a tux for my DH. We could certainly carry a suit for him, but we know it would need pressing before he uses it and this is way too convenient.

On a 7-day carribean itinerary, I could probably pull off just a carry-on and personal bag. I would either have to rent formal wear or skip formal nights.

The wife, however, can't pack for a weekend trip without a full size suitcase so we have to check at least one bag anyhow.

I used to be do it when I traveled for work but that was before all of the current regulations about liquids, etc. came into place. Since we drive to ports, we don't have to worry about the quantity of luggage so I indulge. Were we to go overseas for a cruise, I could reduce both of us to one carry on and a backpack or tote bag each if needed.

Tried out the clear bag size for u s tsa and i can fit 10 50ml(1.6 oz) in it probally could size up a bit. The folding sissors and clippers will have to stay home. canada Also there was room for other small items in the bag. Going to do it. Have a 55 c bag so will be able to get it all in. Will dress in layers as some suggested. Will be going to places warm and cool. Thanks again.

Has anyone done a three week cruise with only a carry on case? I am hoping to to a cruise this fall with just a carry on case. Do you need to have diferent clothes for each day? Do you think that this is possible? Thanks for you assistance.

My DH and I carried 3 suitcases and ended up not wearing half of what we brought. We wore to dinner what we had worn during the day. I would skip formal night. Look at the Cruise Diva's website, she is a reformed heavy packer. I ended up wearing my favorite shoes all the time not needing the other 6 pairs I brought. The laundry will be your friend, just go early. My son ever checks bags, he uses a duffle carry-on and a bag for his lap-top and extras. Wish we had followed his advice it would have saved us huge hassles in the airports.

Good luck!

As retirees without checks for 2-5 years we travel as cheaply as possible. If we fly we are carryon & can get a 4 days of clothes packed, and the Purex 3 in 1 sheets to do laundry as they wash & dryer sheet in one. Formalwear is a past for us. My husband had burning of his old suits & my formal dresses with other friends from the State who lost jobs they had for over 20 years.

Biggest problem is my contact lenses products since I am preservative free. I fill 3 - 3 oz plastic bottles for each (disinfectant & saline) but TSA has to open them, putting stuff in them, contaminating them. So I end up wearing glasses.

What is a retiree without checks??????? Maybe a new PC term for unemployed?? LOL

Has anyone done a three week cruise with only a carry on case? I am hoping to to a cruise this fall with just a carry on case. Do you need to have diferent clothes for each day? Do you think that this is possible? Thanks for you assistance.

I found these videos helpful.

http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90

I'm so pleased to see this topic so well-received here. I posted a similar "can I make it with carry-ons only for a 10-day cruise," in one of the generic Ask A Cruise Question topics, and people acted like I was the cheapest, craziest person on the face of the earth for even asking the question. I've decided that, while I am cheap, I'm not crazy, and that we're going to do it successfully by doing a load of laundry midway through the trip. Not much of a sacrifice for the convenience of not hauling half the house with us on our trip.

You're not cheap or crazy at all. I'm working my way towards a 7 day cruise with a carry-on alone. So far, I've managed to do 1 suitcase for my DH and I with a purse for me and laptop bag for him. I feel I can cut this down if I keep trying. :)

Never.

We always take two garment bags that we carryon, plus a small carrying case and plus the two suitecases we ship.

We have economized already, we use to be able two take two 70 lb suitecases per person on international trips, now the limit is one 50 lbs.

What an interesting and informative thread in how to pack and size. Recently we canceled a cruise on MSC cruiseline and they do not have self-serve laundry so folks were saying wash out your clothes, take them off the ship to port and have them laundered, and some said wear them 3-4 days. The cost of having laundry done on their ship for an outfit (pants and top) was $14. I seriously cannot wear my outer wear for more than 2 days and that is only on cool weather cruises and certainly not inner wear for more than once. I thought we were having a tough time with the flying restrictions of Porter Air with a 20 pound carryon limit and a 50 pound checked baggage until I read this thread.

I am having a hard time finding rolling duffles since they are lighter in weight to begin with and have my checked one bought but still trying to find one large enough for clothes for carryon yet restricted in size. What are most folks buying these days - regular suitcases or duffles? We found to buy cheap because so far every piece of luggage we bought expensive or cheap has been damaged on every trip luckily lasting until we get home.

Three weeks with only a carry on case, not if you are female:)

Where are you cruising to and when? The Caribbean in the summer can be very humid, meaning SWEAT. Yes, you need different clothes for each day, at least underwear:eek: Anything is possible based on your personal style. Pack a few black slacks and shirts, shorts that you can swim in, under wear and socks. I am a repeat clothes offender so wearing outer wear a few times would not be a problem under certain circumstance. Not counting gowns, pocket books and shoes, I could go for a long time with clothes taken in just a carry-on.

My husband and I decided that we were sick and tired of hauling tons of stuff to and from the ship. Once we gave up formal nights, it was a snap to go with a carry-on each. I carry a large over-the-shoulder bag too. We have done two weeks but am sure that we could do three. I coordinate colors, choose the lighest weight fabrics, and limit jewelry, shoes (my biggest challenge) and extra stuff. I also have to fit in a support pillow because of a neck problem. Once during the cruise. I throw in a load of washing . . . no big deal for us. We feel liberated! I'm a child of the 60's so it reminds me of the days when I always traveled light. It also makes it so easy to pack because suddenly clothes aren't very important. I love this because at home I have to "dress" for the office everyday, making sure my hair looks good, my jewelry matches, and my make-up is just so, etc. Who needs to being doing that on vacation? In fact, that's part of what I'm taking a vacation from!!!!

My husband and I decided that we were sick and tired of hauling tons of stuff to and from the ship. Once we gave up formal nights, it was a snap to go with a carry-on each. I carry a large over-the-shoulder bag too. We have done two weeks but am sure that we could do three. I coordinate colors, choose the lighest weight fabrics, and limit jewelry, shoes (my biggest challenge) and extra stuff. I also have to fit in a support pillow because of a neck problem. Once during the cruise. I throw in a load of washing . . . no big deal for us. We feel liberated! I'm a child of the 60's so it reminds me of the days when I always traveled light. It also makes it so easy to pack because suddenly clothes aren't very important. I love this because at home I have to "dress" for the office everyday, making sure my hair looks good, my jewelry matches, and my make-up is just so, etc. Who needs to being doing that on vacation? In fact, that's part of what I'm taking a vacation from!!!!

Different strokes~~~ dressing every nite is one of our favorite things about cruising, at home it is jeans, on the ship it is sequins and tux, dinner jacket every nite, i carry 7 or 8 sequin dresses, 7 tux and dinner jackets in every color in 3 carry on size luggage, we have a ball and it is not a problem to pack. I know it is not for everyone, but for us it is a must.

Do you go formal every night, or is it that you go on long cruises to take 7 or 8 evening gowns and tuxedos? I thought DH had plenty, and he only has one black tux and one dinner jacket! I think I could even manage formal nights from a carry-on, but DH couldn't, so we're going to forego them this time. We'll still have enough dressy clothes to feel dressed up, I believe, for dinner. Now, I want to do all the formal night stuff when we cruise Europe again in 2012, but for the Caribbean "let's get away from Chicago winters" trips, I think we'll enjoy the freedom of carry-ons only. I certainly don't need to think about having a lot of trinkets to bring home either. We have enough "stuff" that we don't buy those things anymore.

Do you go formal every night, or is it that you go on long cruises to take 7 or 8 evening gowns and tuxedos? I thought DH had plenty, and he only has one black tux and one dinner jacket! I think I could even manage formal nights from a carry-on, but DH couldn't, so we're going to forego them this time. We'll still have enough dressy clothes to feel dressed up, I believe, for dinner. Now, I want to do all the formal night stuff when we cruise Europe again in 2012, but for the Caribbean "let's get away from Chicago winters" trips, I think we'll enjoy the freedom of carry-ons only. I certainly don't need to think about having a lot of trinkets to bring home either. We have enough "stuff" that we don't buy those things anymore.

Yes, we do formal every nite, and only do 7 day cruises..........we send one 22" bag thru and carry on 1 each 20" in which we could still go formal every nite , the jewelry, camera, paperwork and toiletries are in a small shoulderbag. We have cruised so much that i have it down pat........we are very lucky.

Different strokes~~~ dressing every nite is one of our favorite things about cruising, at home it is jeans, on the ship it is sequins and tux, dinner jacket every nite, i carry 7 or 8 sequin dresses, 7 tux and dinner jackets in every color in 3 carry on size luggage, we have a ball and it is not a problem to pack. I know it is not for everyone, but for us it is a must.
Yes, we do formal every nite, and only do 7 day cruises..........we send one 22" bag thru and carry on 1 each 20" in which we could still go formal every nite , the jewelry, camera, paperwork and toiletries are in a small shoulderbag. We have cruised so much that i have it down pat........we are very lucky.

Before anyone says it was snarky for this person to talk about why they don't just carry on, it is important to realize that even with 7 nights of very formal attire this couple is able to pack with only 1 smaller checked bag combined! A very impressive feat!

Packing for 3 weeks should not be much harder than packing for a week - the only real difference will be in shampoo, conditioner, sunblock, etc. At least for 3 weeks it is easier to realize that laundry is your friend. It will take some serious editing of what you bring, but that will probably make life onboard more relaxing because you won't have odd pieces out.

i've cruise on the princess 5 times. it is an elegant ship and it depends where you are going. i have done only transatlantic and 1 mediterrean which included greece and istanbul. you will love the ship she is beautiful..

now i have a question. i have just become a member and i can't figure out how to post a question myself. can you help?

I absolutely DON'T think it was "snarky" that the couple checks bags and dresses formally every night. It was a fine response to the question about whether you could or could not cruise with carry-ons. As I mentioned earlier, I did get some really snippy responses when I posed that same question on one of the other boards.

I haven't yet done a cruise with carry-ons only. I've done other vacations that way, but not a cruise. I am going to try it on my next two Caribbean trips though - one 7-day and one 10-day.

We also don't come home with more than we go with.......been there , done that, got the t-shirt

now i have a question. i have just become a member and i can't figure out how to post a question myself. can you help?

Top left hand corner of the page that lists all of the threads, click on New Thread. It is in the same location as post reply when you open a thread to read.

Archived