Have you traveled with only a carry on?

bcnvcanada

Yes, we do formal every nite, and only do 7 day cruises..........we send one 22" bag thru and carry on 1 each 20" in which we could still go formal every nite , the jewelry, camera, paperwork and toiletries are in a small shoulderbag. We have cruised so much that i have it down pat........we are very lucky.

We also don't come home with more than we go with.......been there , done that, got the t-shirt

You obviously have different priorities than most people on vacation whereas most people go with either minimal formal clothing or none since people usually want to relax in less formal clothing. We have it down pat also but in the opposite direction with all casual clothing taking 1- 22" case each with room to spare. It's good you've found a home on a cruise line that doesn't have strict formal regulations & can still enjoy yourself.

Has anyone done a three week cruise with only a carry on case? I am hoping to to a cruise this fall with just a carry on case. Do you need to have diferent clothes for each day? Do you think that this is possible? Thanks for you assistance.

We did a two week cruise and each had one carry on only....and had clothes I didn't even wear. However, our cruise was to Hawaii and we did some laundry throughout the cruise, albiet, not much. I had a couple of pieces of clothing I didn't even wear....as it was a very active cruise and they had BBQ'd fish and veggies on the deck every day and actually lost weight so they clothes just hung on me. Well, that was a first and a last for me.

We actually rinsed out some of our stuff in the sink with woolite and made sure we just bought our sunscreen and such either on the ship or in the islands. Sure, it was a couple bucks more on the ship (really not as much more as you might think) but wanted to not worry about a lot of luggage so was kind of liberating in a way.

Princess ships are all equipped with laundry rooms and soap for purchase, so no need to bring tons of clothes...just wash the ones you have. Nobody really knows if you have worn this outfit once or twice, nor should they care. You are on vacation....do it your way and have a great time.

Also, just because a bag can be carried onto the ship doesn't preclude you from checking it at the airport if you choose not to adhere to the 3-1-1 rule. We actually take two carry on's onto the ship now, check one of them if we are flying if they have banned quantities of liquids in them. We do usually fly on SW, which doesn't charge for checked bags, though.

Wow I seriously think I'm going to try this! This will be our third time cruising but 1st time flying instead of driving. I was planning on each of us having a carry on plus a sholder bag of some sort and 1 piece of checked luggage but I really believe I'm going to try and make it happen without the checked bag. That will save me $$$$ and I like that!

Thanks for all the great tips!

Fabric choices make a huge difference for me. I have pretty much stopped taking slacks/tops for cruises, preferring jersey knit dresses instead. I have one that is reversible, another one I will the first and last nights, plus one more. I'm on the hunt for a little black dress that can be accessorized 2 ways so I only need one for both formal nights. All the dresses only need 2 pair of shoes, one formal one a bit more casual.

We re-wear clothes (we launder them, so no "ripe" smells from us!), we don't take extras that are not crucial, etc... Even when gone on a longer trip we don't pack for more than a 5-7 day trip.

And yet, we still could probably not pack for a cruise in just a carry on and a tote. We still take (for the two of us) one rolling garment bag, one medium suitcase and one small rolling carry on with valuables, plus my large purse.

I refuse to be loaded down while boarding an airplane with 2 pieces (each) to carry or a heavy bag. I'm actually hoping the airlines will crack down even more on the size of carry ons and especially that second personal piece that is supposed to be a laptop bag or a purse, yet tends to end up being a 20-40 lb. backpack.

It really sucks that we are now being charged for luggage at all and I hate it as much as the next person. Yet I hate even more when I have to wait for so many people to haul off their overburdened selves off an airplane.

So my final answer is no, I could not go on a cruise in only a carry on (7 nights or longer).

Gawd, I admire the woman who can "roll-up" her clothes, put it into a duffle bag and go on a 7 day cruise. I, personally, could NEVER do it.

First, there's the hair spray/perfume/deodorant/makeup. Then, there's the tops that can't be "rolled", they'd look like crap if they were not on a hanger. We're still using the "hanging bags", you know the ones that have the hangers in them. I can fit 7 outfits; nightgowns; underwear and 3 pairs of shoes in it. DH does the same with his shirts [Tommy Bahama's]; suit; dress shoes; and shorts. After it's packed you fold it in half, and give it to the dock worker.

I bring a carry-on [filled with my hair stuff, makeup and all my dogs stuff in it.] Sometimes [not often but occasionally] I'm yelled at by cruise personnel who will tell me that it won't fit on the conveyer belt to enter the ship. I reassure them that I've done it in over 22 cruises and keep walking. Sure enough, it fits and we're onboard. :)

I'm ALWAYS glad that I've brought what I need and I NEVER have to buy anything. Other than "goodies" that I just can't live without! :rolleyes:

After one particular European airline lost my suitcase somewhere between Madeira and Rome, I made a decision to travel super light. (My luggage showed up 21 days later when we had returned home). Wrinkle free fabrics, color coordination works for me. I do laundry and don't have a problem with that. However, I understand that there is quite a difference in packing when you are a 5'9" 150+ lady as opposed to a smaller version, 5'1" 110+. Size matters.

What an interesting and informative thread in how to pack and size. Recently we canceled a cruise on MSC cruiseline and they do not have self-serve laundry so folks were saying wash out your clothes, take them off the ship to port and have them laundered, and some said wear them 3-4 days. The cost of having laundry done on their ship for an outfit (pants and top) was $14. I seriously cannot wear my outer wear for more than 2 days and that is only on cool weather cruises and certainly not inner wear for more than once. I thought we were having a tough time with the flying restrictions of Porter Air with a 20 pound carryon limit and a 50 pound checked baggage until I read this thread.

I am having a hard time finding rolling duffles since they are lighter in weight to begin with and have my checked one bought but still trying to find one large enough for clothes for carryon yet restricted in size. What are most folks buying these days - regular suitcases or duffles? We found to buy cheap because so far every piece of luggage we bought expensive or cheap has been damaged on every trip luckily lasting until we get home.

My daughter found a nice duffle (rolling) carryon at Eddie Bauer :)

What an interesting and informative thread in how to pack and size. Recently we canceled a cruise on MSC cruiseline and they do not have self-serve laundry so folks were saying wash out your clothes, take them off the ship to port and have them laundered, and some said wear them 3-4 days. The cost of having laundry done on their ship for an outfit (pants and top) was $14. I seriously cannot wear my outer wear for more than 2 days and that is only on cool weather cruises and certainly not inner wear for more than once. I thought we were having a tough time with the flying restrictions of Porter Air with a 20 pound carryon limit and a 50 pound checked baggage until I read this thread.

I am having a hard time finding rolling duffles since they are lighter in weight to begin with and have my checked one bought but still trying to find one large enough for clothes for carryon yet restricted in size. What are most folks buying these days - regular suitcases or duffles? We found to buy cheap because so far every piece of luggage we bought expensive or cheap has been damaged on every trip luckily lasting until we get home.

Go to a luggage store if you have one close by. I work part time in a luggage store and right now I can think of at least 10 different brands of lightweight rolling duffels in stock. If you don't have a luggage store close by, look online...same prices as retail stores (many people are under the erroneous assumption online is cheaper). Online you don't get to see, feel and compare one brand to another, everyone is different and what one person will recommend won't necessarily be what you are looking for.

Biggest problem is my contact lenses products since I am preservative free. I fill 3 - 3 oz plastic bottles for each (disinfectant & saline) but TSA has to open them, putting stuff in them, contaminating them. So I end up wearing glasses.

You know, you could just buy the solution on arrival at a pharmacy. Maybe even a well stocked store within the secure gate areas.

Admittedly, I keep saying that we're going to go with carry-on only but haven't done it yet. Although have cut back tremendously. A couple things I've done that may help others...

1. Saline is on TSA's list of liquids and medications that are exempt from the restrictions. I've traveled with large bottle in carry on since my daughter and I are both lens wearers. I take it out of my bag (it's in a large baggie to keep it clean), put it in the bins and tell the person I'm declaring saline. I also print out their guidelines, list of exemptions to have with me in case.

2. Walmart sells very, very small bottles of some name perfumes - Georgio, Oscar some others. These aren't knock offs but the real stuff. I'll buy one of each and the bottles (about 1 1/2") themselves take very little space in my baggie.

Has anyone done a three week cruise with only a carry on case? I am hoping to to a cruise this fall with just a carry on case. Do you need to have diferent clothes for each day? Do you think that this is possible? Thanks for you assistance.

Well, I must say I didn't read through this thread but I can't even seem to do a seven day cruise without a carryone and a large suitcase. Oh well, part of the fun to me in cruising is picking out lots of cute outfits I don't typically wear in my everyday life.

Heading out next week to California and onto Hawaii for 17 days. We have never done the carry-on thing before but plan to for this trip because it would cost an additional $375 for our family of five to check one bag each.

Each place we are staying has a washer and dryer so I know we can make this work. I have to admit, though, that in looking at this little suitcase, I have my doubts. But we will try!

Will need to get savvy with mixing up the outfits so it doesn't look like we are wearing the same thing every day in our photos.

Do the compression bags really work? I used some for Europe a few years ago but you had to have a vacuum to get the air out. Is there a newer kind now that doesn't require a vaccuum?

If you can call a 20 inch roller a carry on, then the answer is yes. I take this on a five day business trip or a five week trip in Europe. DW is working on her 24 inch roller to get it down to 20 or 21 inches. We typically combine land trips with cruises and we do not want to lug a lot of luggage on trains, ferries, busses, etc.

Except for my wedding cruise (packed way too much, but we drove to the port), I have not checked a bag for years, including 21 days in Europe (included a 12 day Med Cruise). A 21 inch rollerboard suitcase and tote bag always works.

As for those that say that anyone who does this always smells "ripe" it's simply not the case for everyone (I've found many who check bags that smell "ripe")...I took a pair of long pants, skirt and 3 pairs of capris. I also took about 10 tops that could be worn with almost any of the bottoms. The clothes and undergarmets were packed in compression bags that you roll to get the air out--no vacuum needed (actually kept them from wrinkling). The only time a top was worn more than 1 time without washing was the formal top which was worn for 2 hours at a time after a shower. All other tops (and undergarmets) were washed after 1 wear and pants after 1 or 2.

As for shoes, I took a flat sparkly pair of sandals for formal night, a plain pair of closed toe shoes and hiking sandals.

It was easy to meet the liquid requirement too....shampoo and soap are provided on the ship. Used travel size toothpaste, contact solution, etc.

The little bit of time that was spent doing laundry on sea days was well worth it! We did not have to lug large bags up and down stairs (escalators and elevators are not nearly as common in Europe) or pay porters to do it (people on our airport shuttle boat in Venice were charge over $20 to have help getting their bags up a flight of stairs from the dock). Also, remember that if for some reason you have to move from your scheduled flight to another, the first question you are asked is whether or not you have checked bags (often they won't move you if you have checked bags, unless whatever is going on is their fault).

Heading out next week to California and onto Hawaii for 17 days. We have never done the carry-on thing before but plan to for this trip because it would cost an additional $375 for our family of five to check one bag each.

Each place we are staying has a washer and dryer so I know we can make this work. I have to admit, though, that in looking at this little suitcase, I have my doubts. But we will try!

Will need to get savvy with mixing up the outfits so it doesn't look like we are wearing the same thing every day in our photos.

Do the compression bags really work? I used some for Europe a few years ago but you had to have a vacuum to get the air out. Is there a newer kind now that doesn't require a vaccuum?

We carry these in our luggage store: http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Eagle+Creek+Pack%2DIt+Compressor+Medium&pf_id=PAOHADHLHIHHLNCC&dept_id=3270

They come in 3 different sizes, medium, large and extra large. The extra large will probably be too large for a carry on case. They don't need a vacuum, you merely roll them to release the air. Do it carefully, as the bags can burst with too much sudden pressure. I've even used a cheaper brand from Target, but they only lasted one trip, these Eagle Creek brand are sturdier and I've had the same ones for numerous trips now, I use them for dirty laundry on the way home.

Just a note, if you can't make the carry ons work for the family, consider checking only one or two bags instead of five. One suitcase can pack a whole lot of shorts, T shirts and bathing suits.

Or, buy some clothes when you get to Hawaii. It makes for some nice souvenirs.

I haven't used them for clean clothes but dirty ones and yes you can buy them at places like Walmart where you fill them and sit on them to release the air making them hard as a brick and of course not very moldable once compressed but it saves on the room in the luggage.

You need a vacuum, but last time, our steward was happy to loan us one for a couple of minutes. You can make a bag too heavy for the airlines really quickly.

Did anyone else happen to see the pictorial in the NYTimes a few weeks ago that showed a flight attendant packing a carry on efficiently? It was called "10 days in a Carry-On". The amount of stuff that was able to fit the way she did it was astounding!

Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss.html?scp=9&sq=travel%20packing&st=cse

indieFan

You need a vacuum, but last time, our steward was happy to loan us one for a couple of minutes. You can make a bag too heavy for the airlines really quickly.

There are some bags that you roll to force the air out. Not as good as the vacuum ones, but acceptable.

What is the benefit of these bags? To get more items in a smaller bag? Dont things get wrinkled?? We need a new suitcase...I wanted the 25".....but hubby says we need the 28". It would save a few pounds to have the smaller one more filled. We also have a large garment bag and then each have a carryon.

Archived