Tragic and Scary St. Thomas Shooting

Whitnee1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1234848

This is very scary. We were just on the CB last week and booked an independent transportation and spent the day on Coki Beach on 7/7. What I found on these boards was true. The area you drive through to get there is a bit seedy but once there it is a beautiful beach. It also got very crowded in the afternoon with stops by ships tours. Looks like Meagans next time which we avoided to be from some of the crowds. Will there come a time that the only safe area will be right around the ships docks?

This is very scary. We were just on the CB last week and booked an independent transportation and spent the day on Coki Beach on 7/7. What I found on these boards was true. The area you drive through to get there is a bit seedy but once there it is a beautiful beach. It also got very crowded in the afternoon with stops by ships tours. Looks like Meagans next time which we avoided to be from some of the crowds. Will there come a time that the only safe area will be right around the ships docks?

Try Sapphire Beach next time. It's not as crowded as Meagan’s Bay and I find the facilities nicer. It cost more for the taxi ride but you don't have to pay to enter the beach like you do at Meagan’s Bay so cost is about the same. Just tell the driver what time you would like to be picked up and he/she will come back to pick you up. It is a bit out of the way so if you plan on shopping after you may have to cut the beach trip short. We spent the entire day at the beach the driver picked us up at 3:00. We didn't want to shop on this trip.

Try Sapphire Beach next time. It's not as crowded as Meagan’s Bay and I find the facilities nicer. It cost more for the taxi ride but you don't have to pay to enter the beach like you do at Meagan’s Bay so cost is about the same. Just tell the driver what time you would like to be picked up and he/she will come back to pick you up. It is a bit out of the way so if you plan on shopping after you may have to cut the beach trip short. We spent the entire day at the beach the driver picked us up at 3:00. We didn't want to shop on this trip.

We opted for Coki based upon information that the snorkeling was better. We were also told that Sapphire had suffered some storm damage a while back and it was unsure if it had been repaired. Also not sure if Sapphire has amenities like chair rental etc.

We opted for Coki based upon information that the snorkeling was better. We were also told that Sapphire had suffered some storm damage a while back and it was unsure if it had been repaired. Also not sure if Sapphire has amenities like chair rental etc.

They have chair rental, you can order lunch which is served to you at your chair. They also rent dive and snorkel equipment, kayaks and rafts. My friends actually scheduled a dive there which is how we ended up there instead of Meagan’s. I don't know when the storm was but the beach was beautiful this past May. I think this is my new beach spot in St Thomas.

Such a sad story. I always felt safe in St Thomas, but now will stay closer to the ship when there in Sept. Our thoughts and prayers go out to this young girls family.

By all means do what you think is safe, however, personally I would not make a decision based on one incident. Unlike Antigua, which I visited on my last cruise, where there has been tourist directed crime in recent years, this incident was not directed at tourists but seems to be a tragic case of "wrong place at the wrong time." I would be alert for indications that this is a trend by glancing at the local headlines occasionally.

What a sad incident, my heart goes out to her family.

My husband and I have gone to Emerald Beach for the past two years. It's very close to the ship - a five minute cab ride - the beach is clean - you can rent chairs - sit under a palm umbrella - and there is a restaurant right on the beach. The restaurant is part of the Best Western Hotel - you sit overlooking the beach - the best conch fritters - really good grilled talapia - good local beer. The prices are reasonable. Since the location is close to the airport you will see/hear planes taking off. However, they seem to go early in the morning - and after a while we didn't even notice the noise. We live in New York City - so we are used to hearing noise! The restroom facilities were clean - plenty of room to change if you want to.

We were there last week - and had a wonderful day.

Isn't this a US Territory? As a soldier of the US Army I am sure if it starts to get out of hand we will send troops right over there for protection. I believe we should have small bases on these islands anyways. But hey, what do I know right? Lol.

Isn't this a US Territory? As a soldier of the US Army I am sure if it starts to get out of hand we will send troops right over there for protection. I believe we should have small bases on these islands anyways. But hey, what do I know right? Lol.

Lets not overreact!!!! :eek: This is just one incident! If we sent troops in after every murder in the USA we would have them deployed in every major (and some not so major) city in the nation.

The Virgin Islands does have National Guard units.

Lets not overreact!!!! :eek: This is just one incident! If we sent troops in after every murder in the USA we would have them deployed in every major (and some not so major) city in the nation.

The Virgin Islands does have National Guard units.

I understand. I meant if it does become more common. I agree now would be an overreaction and completely unnecessary.

The military is not allowed to be used as a police force within the USA. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act)

Hi There,

Was there last year, will be in St Thomas, next year, although very sad,

nothing for the cruise industry to worry about.

I assume that some one will have been killed in Miami this week, does this mean cruise ships will stop sailing from Miami.

yours Shogun

We have often visited St. Thomas; and, we love it. However, we are mindful that it has one of the worst murder rates in the world.

The street off the main shopping area is one of the worst offenders (at night) where most of the drug transactions take place.

Not to say the same thing couldn't happen anywhere else but they cover up a lot of the low key crimes that take place on the island to save face.

Ok I have read some of these replies and I am gobsmacked. Is it true that after a shooting out of the tens of thousands of cruisers that go to St Thomas on a weekly basis, and many hundreds of thousands of cruisers that go to St Thomas every year that people are now saying... "I'll say close to the ship..." or "I won't feel safe..." or "..."???

Why? Do you stop going to Los Angeles because there is a shooting? or what about any major city???? The only reason you heard about this is because it was picked up by this site. If it hadn't, would you feel any less safe next time???

Someone explain it to me... please!!!!!

Murders in USVI in 2009: 56 (35 on St. Thomas)

Murders in the city of Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, in 2009: 1,986

Ciudad Juarez has 15 times the resident population of USVI.

I mention this only because I have read bloggers elsewhere write that USVI has the highest crime rate in the world. Not remotely true, but unfortunately, USVI is rapidly approaching the crime rate of Jamaica, which most Americans appreciate is very high.

Just to head off criticism, I do realize that the daily population of USVI is raised by the thousands of tourists who are there every day, thus lowering somewhat its effective homicide rate. Still, by any measure it is high. The good news is that it is mostly directed between gangs, but as the present tragedy shows, it can affect innocents at any time.

Bill

Actually it is not very safe near the piers either.

We are seeing many more muggings and robberies of crew members who go shopping near the Havensight area.

Most cruise lines are departing before dark due to the increase in muggings and robberies of pax and crew.

On my ship, if we do stay in St Thomas for the evening (rare) we encourage the crew to remain onboard.

Like many American cities, St Thomas is infiltrated by the drug trade - and they carry guns.

Archived