Tortola Charters

lozzie

We just returned from our cruise to the Southern Caribbean with RCCL. We booked our Tortola excursion with Tortola Charters to go to Jost Van Dyke. From meeting the guy at the Exit gate of the port until the time we returned to our ship, everything ran very smoothly. We boarded Bill's catamaran and it took about an hour to get over to Jost Van Dyke. We were able to back right up to the beach in about 6' of water. From there we grabbed a couple of chairs at the Soggy Dollar Bar and then went out to snorkel with Bill for about an hour. You can go longer if you want to but we decided that an hour was good for us.

After the snorkeling we ate at the Soggy Dollar Bar and it was probably the best Tuna Melt I have ever had. Food is a little pricey but that is to be expected at a popular tourist spot. After lunch we drank a few beers and relaxed in the sun. The beach is beautiful and the snorkeling was great as well. The snorkeling is quite a ways off the beach but if you are not comfortable with the swim, Bill has the floats to go around your waist to help you out.

The ride back to Road Town was fun as well with Bill opening up the bar for drinks. We had 6 free drinks because of the people we had referred from Cruise Critic. We had an amazing trip with Bill and Tortola Charters and I would not hesitate to recommend this excursion to others. It was probably one of the top excursions that we had on the entire cruise!

We would've loved to have Bill as our "captain" but we got his "right-hand" Shane I think his name was. Glad to hear you had a good time. We did too, the beach was beautiful, Soggy Dollar was fantastic and overall just a great time.

We would've loved to have Bill as our "captain" but we got his "right-hand" Shane I think his name was. Glad to hear you had a good time. We did too, the beach was beautiful, Soggy Dollar was fantastic and overall just a great time.

Shane was on our excursion as well and he drove the boat as Bill mingled with the guests and got everybody set up with snorkel gear. Bill is a great guy, down to earth, and just wants his guests to have a good time. And I would agree with you that it was overall just a great time :)

Glad to hear you had a great time, we used Tortola Charter the beginning of Feb and also had a wonderful time - Bill is a great guy, trying to do the best he can.....

we will use him again next time we are in Tortola :D

We just returned from our cruise to the Southern Caribbean with RCCL. We booked our Tortola excursion with Tortola Charters to go to Jost Van Dyke. From meeting the guy at the Exit gate of the port until the time we returned to our ship, everything ran very smoothly. We boarded Bill's catamaran and it took about an hour to get over to Jost Van Dyke. We were able to back right up to the beach in about 6' of water. From there we grabbed a couple of chairs at the Soggy Dollar Bar and then went out to snorkel with Bill for about an hour. You can go longer if you want to but we decided that an hour was good for us.

After the snorkeling we ate at the Soggy Dollar Bar and it was probably the best Tuna Melt I have ever had. Food is a little pricey but that is to be expected at a popular tourist spot. After lunch we drank a few beers and relaxed in the sun. The beach is beautiful and the snorkeling was great as well. The snorkeling is quite a ways off the beach but if you are not comfortable with the swim, Bill has the floats to go around your waist to help you out.

The ride back to Road Town was fun as well with Bill opening up the bar for drinks. We had 6 free drinks because of the people we had referred from Cruise Critic. We had an amazing trip with Bill and Tortola Charters and I would not hesitate to recommend this excursion to others. It was probably one of the top excursions that we had on the entire cruise!

Wow, did we meet you on that excursion? I have to echo Dave's sentiment here our tour to JVD was excellent, and despite it being a packed boat over w/ 50 guests we had plenty of spcae and freedom.....JVD was beautiful, I wish it had maybe 30% less boats out there that day as our view got a bit crowded but otherwise I really cant complain about anything at all. I thought I read a review saying they anchor like 150' feet out and it's a long swim in but ours was literally 5 feet of swimming and you could then stand up. the snorkeling was interesting as were the drinks at the Soggy Dollar, Bill was a great host and very nice guy, I believe one of the ladies on our boat and even referred to hims as a "silver fox" for what its worth. Im sure people have some reasonable complaints just like every other tour company in the caribbean has once in a while but for us? this was an amazing excursion

Greg

Just returned from Celebrity Millennium's 10 day Caribbean sailing from San Juan on April 8th 2011.

The ship left San Juan on Friday and Saturday docked in Tortola. We had travelled to Tortola 3 prior times, as we love sailing the Caribbean. On prior visits to this island we have either rented a car or treated it as a sea day and stayed on the ship. On a whim, this trip we researched and were set to either visit the Baths or Jost Van Dyke. We read some negative reviews of Jost VD and Tortola Charters. We booked with Tortola because of the numerous positive reviews.

Our experience with Tortola Charters was fantastic. We were scheduled to meet outside the fenced area at 845 and were running 5 minutes late. We sprinted to the area, reaching it around 850am and were met by Bill Dyess, the owner himself. We were relieved to see we had not missed the tour and were asked to board the boat located at the first slip nearby. Bill patiently waited for the remaining registered guests and we left shortly thereafter. The boat ride is about 40 minutes to JVD and during the trip there you are fitted with flippers, masks and floaters. The boat is a well kept vessel, with two levels -upper is open for those wanting sun, breeze and water and the lower has an area that offers protection from all the top offers - we chose the lower as we knew we'd have hours of sun and water once we reached the beach. Bill and his crew were very professional and welcoming. Once we reached JVD, the boat was skillfully manuevered around other larger boats already anchored there - I was amazed at the skill of our driver as he fit between the boats to get us a great location to anchor. Once the anchors were dropped, our items that we wanted to keep dry were put in plastic containers and then carefully moved onto the beach - perfectly dry! Each passenger was assisted into the water and we had to swim about 5 feet and then my feet were able to touch the sea floor - I am 5foot 6inches tall by the way.

The water was a beautiful clear color and the beach sand was amazingly white. We quickly grabbed some free and plentily available lawn chairs and found a semi shady spot under a palm tree. Enjoyed the water and beach for a few hours before walking to the Soggy Dollar and ordering lunch - a mahi sandwich with fries. The entire experience was once in a lifetime and memories will last forever.

Our time to leave came and the containers were placed on the beach for us to load our items to keep dry. We all swam back to the boat and were rinsed off sea water with the boats fresh water. The ride back was a wonderful time as Bill chatted with each passenger and we all were offered beverages.

We docked back at the Pier and returned with plenty of time to allow for us to shop in the stores nearby. We bought some water and misc toiletries and then back through the fenced security area and onto the ship.

Without doubt, Tortola has become one of our top islands to visit only because of Tortola Charters. We are looking forward to our next visit to the island and will always book a tour with Bill when we go there.

Just returned from Celebrity Millennium's 10 day Caribbean sailing from San Juan on April 8th 2011.

The ship left San Juan on Friday and Saturday docked in Tortola. We had travelled to Tortola 3 prior times, as we love sailing the Caribbean. On prior visits to this island we have either rented a car or treated it as a sea day and stayed on the ship. On a whim, this trip we researched and were set to either visit the Baths or Jost Van Dyke. We read some negative reviews of Jost VD and Tortola Charters. We booked with Tortola because of the numerous positive reviews.

Our experience with Tortola Charters was fantastic. We were scheduled to meet outside the fenced area at 845 and were running 5 minutes late. We sprinted to the area, reaching it around 850am and were met by Bill Dyess, the owner himself. We were relieved to see we had not missed the tour and were asked to board the boat located at the first slip nearby. Bill patiently waited for the remaining registered guests and we left shortly thereafter. The boat ride is about 40 minutes to JVD and during the trip there you are fitted with flippers, masks and floaters. The boat is a well kept vessel, with two levels -upper is open for those wanting sun, breeze and water and the lower has an area that offers protection from all the top offers - we chose the lower as we knew we'd have hours of sun and water once we reached the beach. Bill and his crew were very professional and welcoming. Once we reached JVD, the boat was skillfully manuevered around other larger boats already anchored there - I was amazed at the skill of our driver as he fit between the boats to get us a great location to anchor. Once the anchors were dropped, our items that we wanted to keep dry were put in plastic containers and then carefully moved onto the beach - perfectly dry! Each passenger was assisted into the water and we had to swim about 5 feet and then my feet were able to touch the sea floor - I am 5foot 6inches tall by the way.

The water was a beautiful clear color and the beach sand was amazingly white. We quickly grabbed some free and plentily available lawn chairs and found a semi shady spot under a palm tree. Enjoyed the water and beach for a few hours before walking to the Soggy Dollar and ordering lunch - a mahi sandwich with fries. The entire experience was once in a lifetime and memories will last forever.

Our time to leave came and the containers were placed on the beach for us to load our items to keep dry. We all swam back to the boat and were rinsed off sea water with the boats fresh water. The ride back was a wonderful time as Bill chatted with each passenger and we all were offered beverages.

We docked back at the Pier and returned with plenty of time to allow for us to shop in the stores nearby. We bought some water and misc toiletries and then back through the fenced security area and onto the ship.

Without doubt, Tortola has become one of our top islands to visit only because of Tortola Charters. We are looking forward to our next visit to the island and will always book a tour with Bill when we go there.

We were on the same trip as you and I completely agree with everything you wrote. The trip with Tortola Charters to Jost Van Dyke with Bill was by far our best excursion of our 10 day cruise. I would highly recommend the trip to anyone going to Tortola in the future. We had a number of people on the trip from our Roll Call and I think everyone shared the same opinion. But I have to say that no matter how you get to Jost Van Dyke, you just have to get there. The beach is amazing and visiting the Soggy Dollar is a treat. Old Timer is wonderful and his Painkillers are fantastic. We especially enjoyed swimming in the amazing water that was clear and smooth!!

Thanks go out to Captain Bill and Tortola Charters for starting our first cruise and a fantastic note!!!

Kelly

We were on the same trip as you and I completely agree with everything you wrote. The trip with Tortola Charters to Jost Van Dyke with Bill was by far our best excursion of our 10 day cruise. I would highly recommend the trip to anyone going to Tortola in the future. We had a number of people on the trip from our Roll Call and I think everyone shared the same opinion. But I have to say that no matter how you get to Jost Van Dyke, you just have to get there. The beach is amazing and visiting the Soggy Dollar is a treat. Old Timer is wonderful and his Painkillers are fantastic. We especially enjoyed swimming in the amazing water that was clear and smooth!!

Thanks go out to Captain Bill and Tortola Charters for starting our first cruise and a fantastic note!!!

Kelly

We were also on this trip and highly recommend Tortola Charters. We enjoyed the Baths the last time we were in Tortola and originally had planned on going back. After reading about JVD we decided to try it and I'm glad we did. This is a great place to just hang out and relax. I would like to quit my job and work for Old Timer. ;)

Sue

It seems this is an all-day excursion ( 5 - 7 hours) and apparently there is rum involved.........:D

However, I don't see any reference to lunch?? Did you 'brown bag' it from the ship??? :eek:

Thanks for any & all responses from those who have been there / done that......;)

My wife and I visited Tortola on Celebrity Millennium in April, but booked the Jost Van Dyke tour Tortola Charters on-line ahead of time. Bill met us at the gate at 9:00 AM and walked us to where their boat was docked. After a short boat ride, we arrived at the beach. There are several nice restaurants / bars. We sat in front of the Soggy Dollar and never did actually snorkel, although Bill provided very nice equipment. We had a great lunch at the Soggy Dollar and a few Pain Killers. The tour left about 2:30 and we arrived back at the ship about 3:30 (there was Rum involved). We did have a small "mishap" though. We forgot our credit card at the Sandy Dollar and didn't realize it until we were almost back at the Ship. However, Bill was kind enough to get our card the next day and mail it to us. It was waiting in the mail when we got back home.

I would highly recommend this tour group. it was great time. Bill and his crew were great and the food (and Pain Killers) and beach were amazing. You won't be disappointed.

My wife and I visited Tortola on Celebrity Millennium in April, but booked the Jost Van Dyke tour Tortola Charters on-line ahead of time. Bill met us at the gate at 9:00 AM and walked us to where their boat was docked. After a short boat ride, we arrived at the beach. There are several nice restaurants / bars. We sat in front of the Soggy Dollar and never did actually snorkel, although Bill provided very nice equipment. We had a great lunch at the Soggy Dollar and a few Pain Killers. The tour left about 2:30 and we arrived back at the ship about 3:30 (there was Rum involved). We did have a small "mishap" though. We forgot our credit card at the Sandy Dollar and didn't realize it until we were almost back at the Ship. However, Bill was kind enough to get our card the next day and mail it to us. It was waiting in the mail when we got back home.

I would highly recommend this tour group. it was great time. Bill and his crew were great and the food (and Pain Killers) and beach were amazing. You won't be disappointed.

My husband and I spoke to you for awhile in the Martini bar on the ship after the excursion and we were wondering how the whole credit card thing worked out in the end. Glad it all ended well. Bill seemed like a good person who would take care of that. My husband spoke to him for quite a while on the way back to port. Glad you had a great time as we did and all worked out in the end!!

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful experience with Tortola Charters this past week on a trip to Virgin Gorda. The operation was professional and efficient.

We had a 4-year old along and the crew did a wonderful job of helping him and paying him special attention.

Thanks for a great experience!

I went with Tortola Charters to Jost Van Dyke at the end of April and it turned out to be the highlight of our whole trip. They were professional and friendly, and we were back to the ship in plenty of time. (we got back at 2:30 and the ship was leaving port at 3:30). I would book with them again anytime. I highly recommend them!

I went with Tortola Charters to Jost Van Dyke at the end of April and it turned out to be the highlight of our whole trip. They were professional and friendly, and we were back to the ship in plenty of time. (we got back at 2:30 and the ship was leaving port at 3:30). I would book with them again anytime. I highly recommend them!

How was the snorkeling and did you have to swim far from the boat to get to the beach?

Wonderful experience with Tortola Charters this past week on a trip to Virgin Gorda. The operation was professional and efficient.

We had a 4-year old along and the crew did a wonderful job of helping him and paying him special attention.

Thanks for a great experience!

We were on the same trip. Nice boat...44 foot SeaRay and Shane and Zeko were a great crew. Sure was a lot nicer than the crowd packed onto the "official" cruise excursion to The Baths.

How was the snorkeling and did you have to swim far from the boat to get to the beach?

Not a far swim. Maybe 30' at the most? I didn't snorkel, I chose to relax in the sand, but from what I heard it was good. They saw sea turtles and lots of other sea life.

Bill and his crew were awesome! I'm a water rat so I enjoyed all the snorkeling and swimming. Bill's crew got all our gear on shore, nice and dry, and for one gal who couldn't make the swim to shore they put her on a kayak and paddled her in. Jost Van Dyke is perfect for sitting in the sun and doing nothing! Soggy dollar had cold beer and killer painkillers. It was a great day to start a 10 day cruise.

Hello All!

I've been reading the posts and need a little clarification. Are you taken to second location as well? Something with caves? This is a new port for us and I think this is something we want to do.

I don't know anything about caves. I went to Jost, but maybe there's something to do with caves at the Baths at Virgin Gorda? I know you can explore the big boulders, there may be some nooks and crannies (aka caves) in that area??

• 5 weeks later...

Jerseygirl,

From what I am reading I believe the caves are at the Virgin Gorda, Bath location which is where we plan to go. It appears that Tortola Charters are best with Bill. Guess it is luck of the draw whether he goes to Bath or JVD on your day since he can't be on both trips.

Tortola Charters quoted a price for me that was $3.00 pp more than the $55.00/$40.00 price listed on his website and CC posts. Does Tortola Charters not include the admission price of the baths in his total? $3.00 is no biggie of course but it is not posted on the website. If you used T.C. what total price did you pay per person? When comparing companies/prices, we need to include all costs.

• 3 months later...

Haven't been able to reach Tortola Charters....Frantic to get in touch with them so we don't miss JVD in December. They aren't answering email from their website email . I was also told phone calls also weren't answered.

If anyone has communicated with them at a different email address, could you please help us out with this info?

Thank you

Barbara

Haven't been able to reach Tortola Charters....Frantic to get in touch with them so we don't miss JVD in December. They aren't answering email from their website email . I was also told phone calls also weren't answered.

If anyone has communicated with them at a different email address, could you please help us out with this info?

Thank you

Barbara

barbara, i don't understand why they haven't gotten back to you. it makes me nervous since we have a cc group booked with them for jvd on 11/5/11. we have someone on roll call checking with them now. will let you know.

barbara, i don't understand why they haven't gotten back to you. it makes me nervous since we have a cc group booked with them for jvd on 11/5/11. we have someone on roll call checking with them now. will let you know.

I've sent three requests and none have been answered. Wonder if they are still in business?

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks,

Kel:)

HEllo!

I am on the 11.5.11 cruise...and they will not return my email nor return phone call...i am trying to contact BVI Tourism to see if they are in business...

Will let you know.

Thanks! I'm weebles and currently posting on the NCL Dawn cruise for 11/2. We had made arrangements for 30+ people and don't know what to do. Would you mind letting us know what you find out? We also have a member who is trying to call.

Let's work together and find out what's going on. I wonder if any of our friends at the CRUISE CRITIC office know?

Archived