Thank you to NCL cruisers and posters!

Shelli

A couple of weeks ago, I was rather horrified when my scheduled Carnival cruise on Pride, leaving from Baltimore, was cancelled by Carnival because they're putting the ship in drydock. Please note that my annoyance was *not* due to any loyalty to Carnival (or any cruise line, really), but rather due to the fact that we couldn't cruise any other week. I searched and searched the Internet, and finally found a comparable cruise the same week on Jewel from NYC-- similar pricing, similar (better!) itinerary.

But I was concerned. I'd cruised on the S.S. Norway many moons ago, during the elegant days of cruising (and loved it), but this new-fangled "freestyle" stuff had me a little uneasy. I'd heard NCL described as "the Chevy of cruising," and that had me a little worried. Those factors, basically, had me a little concerned about the caliber of passenger I'd find onboard.

Then I came to this board. I have to tell you, what a pleasant surprise! Don't tell the Carnival folks, but most of them apparently have no mastery at all of the English language. OK, so maybe I'm a member of the grammar police, but I found their posts next to impossible to read or even decipher. Not so with you folks! All of your well written posts have given me ever so much more confidence in NCL-- if you all like it, it must be good!

So this is a big thank you to you all for giving me the confidence in NCL that had been lacking! I just know I'll love my cruise now!

Ohh...I dunno, Shelli, I have encountered a lot of grammatical errors over here. Lots of words that can be spelled two ways and the wrong way is chosen, or the cliche' that is actually spelled differently than how people are pronouncing it.

I have had in the back of my mind an idea of starting a thread of errors you've seen in posts, but I didn't want to seem mean spiritied. I just chalk it all up to the less than average school systems in the U.S.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!! :D (Be sure to come back and let us know how you found the NCL freestyle thing...)

I know what you mean Shelli about the elegance of the Norway. I too sailed on her in 1989. I didn't realize at the time how fortunate I was to experience such class.

I cruised with Carnival last year, but this Oct will be my first voyage with NCL since the Norway. I'm really looking forward to it and these boards have also helped me very much.

Hope you have a grand time and take lots of pictures to post.

Welcome back to NCL, Shelli.

I have 12 cruises on NCL and 10 on Carnival and 14 others thrown in - so I am qualified to compare them.

I had not heard the "chevy" remark - I'd personally think of NCL as an old woody station wagon, myself - really cool and laid back, but tasteful. You are free to search for the perfect wave - or not.

I am NOT meaning to bash Carnival but I find the cruisers there a bit less sophisticated than other lines so I think you will be pleased with your fellow NCL cruisers. I also realize that the crowd varies w/ the port of embarkation. i.e. if you are offended by cowboys, you might want to skip a cruise out of Galveston, New Orleans is gonna' be a party hearty crowd, any European port is generally more sedate. Having never sailed from New York, I have no opinion about the cruise populus from there, but I am certain they will be just fine.

Please let us know, how you like NCL. (I hope I don't have any typos - even though I went to Louisiana public schools ) ;)

A couple of weeks ago, I was rather horrified when my scheduled Carnival cruise on Pride, leaving from Baltimore, was cancelled by Carnival because they're putting the ship in drydock. Please note that my annoyance was *not* due to any loyalty to Carnival (or any cruise line, really), but rather due to the fact that we couldn't cruise any other week. I searched and searched the Internet, and finally found a comparable cruise the same week on Jewel from NYC-- similar pricing, similar (better!) itinerary.

But I was concerned. I'd cruised on the S.S. Norway many moons ago, during the elegant days of cruising (and loved it), but this new-fangled "freestyle" stuff had me a little uneasy. I'd heard NCL described as "the Chevy of cruising," and that had me a little worried. Those factors, basically, had me a little concerned about the caliber of passenger I'd find onboard.

Then I came to this board. I have to tell you, what a pleasant surprise! Don't tell the Carnival folks, but most of them apparently have no mastery at all of the English language. OK, so maybe I'm a member of the grammar police, but I found their posts next to impossible to read or even decipher. Not so with you folks! All of your well written posts have given me ever so much more confidence in NCL-- if you all like it, it must be good!

So this is a big thank you to you all for giving me the confidence in NCL that had been lacking! I just know I'll love my cruise now!

OP-

You've been a member of CC and posting since 2001....

You booked a Carnival cruise despite the poor spelling skills of the passengers....yet you were hesitant about NCL...until you discovered that these passengers have better spelling skills.

So...why did you book Carnival in the first place?

There isn't one post one Carnival boards that I have trouble understanding. Maybe it's because I'm just a tolerant, non-judgmental person.The only thing that has me confused is your logic...or, shall I say, lack of logic.

BTW...English is my husband's third language....the first 2 have completely different alphabets and grammatical compositions. Because he was busy making a living...he never did have the time for a formal education or to master English spelling.

As you would think, we did sail on Carnival to the Bahamas...but, lo and behold....we also did the Jewel in May. So, beware....they let some people not up to your standards on board.

You might want to give Cunard a try....they don't have the "new-fangled free style stuff" and from their posts, they seem to be excellent spellers.:)

forgetaboutit, yous will have a awesome boat ride, and make many new funships whilst hammering the cocktails:cool:

Sailing down the Hudson is so far the best sail away have I've done...ever;)

forgetaboutit, yous will have a awesome boat ride, and make many new funships whilst hammering the cocktails:cool:

Sailing down the Hudson is so far the best sail away have I've done...ever;)

Translation....

"Forget about it...you will have a great cruise......."

Now...see how easy that was!

I think all that NYC public school education (straight thru college) gave me a very special talent........ :)

You booked a Carnival cruise despite the poor spelling skills of the passengers....yet you were hesitant about NCL...until you discovered that these passengers have better spelling skills.

So...why did you book Carnival in the first place?

As you would think, we did sail on Carnival to the Bahamas...but, lo and behold....we also did the Jewel in May. So, beware....they let some people not up to your standards on board.

I'm sorry if I came across as a snob-- I swear I'm not. But at the same time, I do believe you can tell some things about people by, for example, whether or not they bother to read what they wrote before posting. Most of the time, that's all it would take!

I've been on some shorter Carnival cruises in the past 10 years; perhaps that's why I equate some of the posters' writing capabilities with the crowd(s) I met onboard. We all tend to use what we know best to make our impressions, after all.

Why did I book Carnival? Because times are tough and they had the best price at a port that didn't require flying. And NCL ran a close second. There you have it.

I'm sorry if I came across as a snob-- I swear I'm not. But at the same time, I do believe you can tell some things about people by, for example, whether or not they bother to read what they wrote before posting. Most of the time, that's all it would take!

I've been on some shorter Carnival cruises in the past 10 years; perhaps that's why I equate some of the posters' writing capabilities with the crowd(s) I met onboard. We all tend to use what we know best to make our impressions, after all.

Why did I book Carnival? Because times are tough and they had the best price at a port that didn't require flying. And NCL ran a close second. There you have it.

I checked out you cruise articles http://www.examiner.com/x-55413-Phil...aminer?showbio...seems you know lots and lots stuff about cruising.

And a comment left on your "Are ports safe" article cracked me up.

"Mom always said: be alert, be aware, and don't waste napkins."

I have a question for you, which port in your opinion is the best one you did not have to fly to from your So. NJ location? I hate flying:eek:

Nothing wrong with being a "Chevy Ship." We've owned many Chevies and enjoyed them.

I think that you will enjoy your Freestyle NCL cruise. No one will tell you when you must report to the diningroom. You eat when you choose, and with whom you choose.

At cruise's end, you decide how & when to disembark, by selecting the color of luggage tag which suites your needs. There is no need to report to an assigned public area. You may await disembarkation in the comfort of your cabin, or enjoy a late cup of coffee at the buffet.

Welcome to NCL.

Barb

Welcome to NCL.

You will be glad that you quiet sailing with Carnival and came over to NCL. Sometimes, these ships are a bit quite compared to Carnival though.

Remember, if you need anything special when you get their, just ask the stewart.

Have a good trip.

Welcome to NCL.

You will be glad that you quiet sailing with Carnival and came over to NCL. Sometimes, these ships are a bit quite compared to Carnival though.

Remember, if you need anything special when you get their, just ask the stewart.

Have a good trip.

RoFLMAO thx garycarla :p

Welcome to NCL.

Have a good trip.

It's not even noon and you easily win the "post of the day" award...if their was won :)

Bravo.

Personally, I sail both Carnival and NCL and, as a lot of people say, they are more similar than different. I agree with this. But both lines do have their "cheerleaders" - which is OK cause people know what they like. IMHO the whole "party" thing can be attributed to both lines. As long as I can choose - be part of a loud fun party or find a quiet spot - them I am good with either. Have always seen people of all ages - babies to elderly - on both lines.

I also don't think that spelling has anything to do with...well...anything. I know a lot of very intelligent people who can't spell worth a darn!

Welcome to NCL.

Have a good trip.

Well done. :)

I checked out you cruise articles http://www.examiner.com/x-55413-Phil...aminer?showbio...seems you know lots and lots stuff about cruising.

And a comment left on your "Are ports safe" article cracked me up.

"Mom always said: be alert, be aware, and don't waste napkins."

I have a question for you, which port in your opinion is the best one you did not have to fly to from your So. NJ location? I hate flying:eek:

The comment you quoted was from my daughter, the very same one I mentioned in the article. The napkin part had to do with a childhood incident that, for some strange reason, stayed with her!

Our favorite embarkation port so far was Philadelphia! Took us no time to drive there and parking was reasonable, especially when we split it with our friends/cruising companions.

Unfortunately, no major lines are cruising out of there-- seems all of them (including NCL) sold off their smallest ships, which were the only ones that could fit under the bridges on the Delaware. :( There's some [really expensive!] river cruising line that uses the port now.

Never left from either Baltimore or Bayonne... so far, anyway.

Welcome to NCL.

Have a good trip.

LOL you are probably very intelligent!

Translation....

"Forget about it...you will have a great cruise......."

Now...see how easy that was!

I think all that NYC public school education (straight thru college) gave me a very special talent........ :)

Yeah. Yankee smarta** talk.

I started a thread, made a typo in the title, no less, and was totally humiliated!! Which, of course, is ridiculous. But, there it is. Found no way to take back the thread! Nothing to do but be humiliated. What will they all think of me?! With any luck, no one noticed. :rolleyes:

Welcome to NCL.

Have a good trip.

Reminds me of a time when I worked in Retail Management. Had an applicant who listed the following reasons for leaving his last 4 jobs:

Quiet

Fried

Fried

Quiet

He did not get a call back for an interview.

Archived