Yanks, Beware - Independence of Seas

Just off 14 day cruise on the Independence. It was a good cruise for me, but not a great cruise. Sailed from England to France, Spain and Potugal.

The weather was perfect. The problem I had was that this ship is catering to those from the UK and I as an American who had been on 47 previous RCCL cruises was disappointed. The food, activities and entertainment favored those from the UK. So, if you are going on this ship, be prepared that is is different from the rest of the fleet.:D Jerry

I was on Independence when she was here -- sailing from FLL and it was FABULOUS -- but she must have been catering to the "Yanks" then. ;)

I am ok with her catering to the population where she is homeported. Would only make sense. Right?

When in Rome....:p

Hi Jerry,

I'm also intrigued at what the differences are compared to the food and activities we've found as Brits when sailing on Freedom out of the US when the ship is obviously catering for the US market.

If you could elaborate it would be helpful and may go someway to explaining the high cost IMHO of sailing from my own country on a Freedom class ship and why I haven't done so yet.

I presume there's decent 'back' bacon served for breakfast and plenty of tea offered and perhaps not so much coffee available. I can't think of much else that the palates of both nations don't enjoy.

Just the same aswhen we sailed the Navigator from Rome, and to some degree, the Adventure from PR, why would you expect a ship homeported in a country foreign to you, not to cater to the customs, cuisine, etc of the nation it sails from??:confused:

Hi Jerry,

I'm also intrigued at what the differences are compared to the food and activities we've found as Brits when sailing on Freedom out of the US when the ship is obviously catering for the US market.

If you could elaborate it would be helpful and may go someway to explaining the high cost IMHO of sailing from my own country on a Freedom class ship and why I haven't done so yet.

I presume there's decent 'back' bacon served for breakfast and plenty of tea offered and perhaps not so much coffee available. I can't think of much else that the palates of both nations don't enjoy.

I am agreeing with all of your comments and observations Pete !!!

The food items were prepared the way they like them in the UK. Examples: Lamb was served with mint sauce rather than mint jelly. Shrimp cocktail was served with a dressing similar to thousand Island rather than red cocktail sauce. Bacon was very undercooked. Heavous rancheros was served with baked beans instead of refried beans. Many other items were on the menu such as Kidney beef pie.

Games that were played all had questions about UK things.

Now, I don't have a problem when most were from the UK. I'm just advising the Americans of these things so they know before they go.

:Djerry

The food items were prepared the way they like them in the UK. Examples: Lamb was served with mint sauce rather than mint jelly. Shrimp cocktail was served with a dressing similar to thousand Island rather than red cocktail sauce. Bacon was very undercooked. Heavous rancheros was served with baked beans instead of refried beans. Many other items were on the menu such as Kidney beef pie.

Now, I don't have a problem when most were from the UK. I'm just advising the Americans of these things so they know before they go.

As a Brit travelling on IOS shortly I'm horrified:eek:...I want to experience new things not the same old same old! However I don't eat lamb...bacon...beef & kidney pie(locally known as steak & kidney) & quite honestly baked beans need to be avoided in small cabin spaces:o....looks like I might be going hungry on this cruise:(

phew, from the somewhat sensationalist title of this thread I was worried that there was going to be something serious ;) From experience on Indy I can't imagine that there is too much difference from other ships that sail from the US, the addition of a few British food items and a kettle doesn't really come at the cost of all the usual foods RCI serve for their US customers. Just one thing to clear up - the bacon is not undercooked - back bacon is naturally pink and doesn't need the life fried out of it like streaky bacon :p

Thanks Jerry, much appreciated. I must say I didn't know there was a difference between mint sauce and mint jelly that would mean you didn't enjoy the food. I will say that I doubt the bacon was undercooked as this would be a health hazard, it's just that it wouldn't be cooked to the crispy 'overcooked' state IMHO that US bacon is.

So sorry you were disappointed by some minor differences in our culinary offerings, but then again I can't say I'm too fond of grits or your 'biscuits & gravy' for breakfast, but hey, when I'm in a different country I like to try the local fare. Actually I suspect the pie was 'Steak & Kidney' I'm not aware that we do just a 'kidney' pie.

As for games played, how do you think we feel when in the Caribbean on a US homeported ship such as Mariner, Navigator, or Freedom when a great many of the answers to questions refer to US experiences or people? It's the same for us but it doesn't stop us having a great time.

IMHO I don't think these are valid reasons not to enjoy a cruise and come away disappointed because we never come away from the US disappointed. However, I think you do have a problem with the UK and with things not being exactly as you experience sailing on ships that cater for a majority US clientele and in that case can only suggest you cruise on ships that more suit your tastes.

Many of your countrymen may want to experience the UK way of life.:D

Thanks Jerry, much appreciated. I must say I didn't know there was a difference between mint sauce and mint jelly that would mean you didn't enjoy the food. I will say that I doubt the bacon was undercooked as this would be a health hazard, it's just that it wouldn't be cooked to the crispy 'overcooked' state IMHO that US bacon is.

So sorry you were disappointed by some minor differences in our culinary offerings, but then again I can't say I'm too fond of grits or your 'biscuits & gravy' for breakfast, but hey, when I'm in a different country I like to try the local fare. Actually I suspect the pie was 'Steak & Kidney' I'm not aware that we do just a 'kidney' pie.

As for games played, how do you think we feel when in the Caribbean on a US homeported ship such as Mariner, Navigator, or Freedom when a great many of the answers to questions refer to US experiences or people? It's the same for us but it doesn't stop us having a great time.

IMHO I don't think these are valid reasons not to enjoy a cruise and come away disappointed because we never come away from the US disappointed. However, I think you do have a problem with the UK and with things not being exactly as you experience sailing on ships that cater for a majority US clientele and in that case can only suggest you cruise on ships that more suit your tastes.

Many of your countrymen may want to experience the UK way of life.:D

It sounded to me like to OP was kinda just giving everyone an FYI, not trying to be insulting to anyone from the UK. I, personally, would LOVE to experience the "UK way of life!" I am very fascinated, especially with the accent :D!! It is on the top of my list of places to visit!!!!

It sounded to me like to OP was kinda just giving everyone an FYI, not trying to be insulting to anyone from the UK. I, personally, would LOVE to experience the "UK way of life!" I am very fascinated, especially with the accent :D!! It is on the top of my list of places to visit!!!!

Accent?? We dont have an accent - you do!!:)

When we sailed her she had the UK style breakfast items, such as back bacon, black pudding and baked beans, but there was also the US style bacon, pancakes and syrup as well as biscuits (very hard though) and gravy. So we found both catered for in the Windjammer. In Jewel there were the standard menus, but we had Yorkshire puddng with the roast beef, ... that was a first :) Did not eat not have that on Indy.

There seamed to be a good balance, but I did prefer food etc on the RCL US sailings, it appears to be a bit better over there for some reason.

What is the point of travelling if not to experience the wonderful differances of the country to where you are travelling! That is exactly why I travel and what I expect ... everything to be difference and beautiful and wonderful.

If you want everything to be the same stay home.

What is the point of travelling if not to experience the wonderful differances of the country to where you are travelling! That is exactly why I travel and what I expect ... everything to be difference and beautiful and wonderful.

If you want everything to be the same stay home.

Different is usually a given. Beautiful and wonderful can depend on just where it is that you find yourself.;)

The op has kinda explained the food and activities although this was very limited , but i'm still wondering what entertainment was aimed at the Brits , we went on the Navigator sailing from Rome last month and witnessed the mens belly flop competition ,i saw Brits , Italians ,Americans and many other nationalities thoroughly enjoying it ,am very curious as to what entertainment the op classes as catering for the Brit guests :eek:

We sailed Freedom out of Port Canaveral on a back to back last summer.

As Brits we experienced stuff that we don't normally have.The comedians told jokes about American tv programmes so we didn't appreciate the jokes.

I don't mind experiencing the differences,after all it would be a boring world if we were all the same.

I would still sail out of a US port with the majority of passengers being American anytime.

I appreciate the OP was trying to give a FYI, but the title of the thread is a little too sensational and implies major problems with a ship sailing from the UK which can easily give the wrong impression.

Do come visit, it's a great place to experience.

Archived