Yanks, Beware - Independence of Seas

Games that were played all had questions about UK things.

Now, I don't have a problem when most were from the UK. I'm just advising the Americans of these things so they know before they go.

:Djerry

With all due respect I cruised out of LA on the Mariner and all the quizzes had American based questions................ exactly as I assumed it would be........ to the extent that I would not have had the temerity to actually mention it. Would have assumed you would have made the same assumptions if you have made nealry 100 cruises.

Thanks Jerry, much appreciated. I must say I didn't know there was a difference between mint sauce and mint jelly that would mean you didn't enjoy the food. I will say that I doubt the bacon was undercooked as this would be a health hazard, it's just that it wouldn't be cooked to the crispy 'overcooked' state IMHO that US bacon is.

So sorry you were disappointed by some minor differences in our culinary offerings, but then again I can't say I'm too fond of grits or your 'biscuits & gravy' for breakfast, but hey, when I'm in a different country I like to try the local fare. Actually I suspect the pie was 'Steak & Kidney' I'm not aware that we do just a 'kidney' pie.

As for games played, how do you think we feel when in the Caribbean on a US homeported ship such as Mariner, Navigator, or Freedom when a great many of the answers to questions refer to US experiences or people? It's the same for us but it doesn't stop us having a great time.

IMHO I don't think these are valid reasons not to enjoy a cruise and come away disappointed because we never come away from the US disappointed. However, I think you do have a problem with the UK and with things not being exactly as you experience sailing on ships that cater for a majority US clientele and in that case can only suggest you cruise on ships that more suit your tastes.

Many of your countrymen may want to experience the UK way of life.:D

Pete, as a "Yankee" I have to agree with you 100%. Was in London last month and rather than go to McDonalds I have some lovely fish-n-chips. In fact on my other Med cruise I really enjoyed the European dishes.

Oops...i just didn't get the blood sausage for breakfast, sorry :o

I have noticed some differences but Viva la difference! I love British bacon, blood sausage (gag) NOT, mushy peas (yummy) and I'll try anything once.

The entertainment is a bit different too. A lot of Americans will not "get" the jokes of a British comedian and I'm sure the reverse is also true. Just makes it a bit more interesting....

Pete, as a "Yankee" I have to agree with you 100%. Was in London last month and rather than go to McDonalds I have some lovely fish-n-chips. In fact on my other Med cruise I really enjoyed the European dishes.

I have never been to McDonalds when out of the U.S. Come to think of it, I pretty much avoid the place when I am in the U.S.;)

I appreciate some of what the OP was saying - having recently done the same cruise. Their 'Rock Brittania' street party was aimed at the home audience - but then with 80%+ UK passengers on with us it was not a surprise and is only on this ship with that show. Didn't do any quizzes so can't say what they were like.....

The Cruise director was British (+ the Asst CD) so they play to the majority as you would expect to get the best response. Main shows included a UK oriented comedian but can't think of any other examples that would have US cruisers heading for the lifeboats.

Do they make announcements in both British and American english?:eek::D

Yes Mate :D

And since when are "Heavous rancheros" American?

You should be thankful they didn't serve;

Jellied eels

Bangers and mash

Bubble and squeak

Tripe and onions

Porridge

Haggis

black puddins

steak and kidney pudding (with real suet)

and steak that's like "shoe leather"

Jellied eels

Bangers and mash

Bubble and squeak

Tripe and onions

Porridge

Haggis

black puddins

I might have to re-evaluate the comment that I made about McDonalds.:eek::D

I appreciate some of what the OP was saying - having recently done the same cruise. Their 'Rock Brittania' street party was aimed at the home audience - but then with 80%+ UK passengers on with us it was not a surprise and is only on this ship with that show. Didn't do any quizzes so can't say what they were like.....

The Cruise director was British (+ the Asst CD) so they play to the majority as you would expect to get the best response. Main shows included a UK oriented comedian but can't think of any other examples that would have US cruisers heading for the lifeboats.

Funny they had the Rock Britannia street party when she sailed out of the US. Saw it last April, complete with big Union Jack hung above the RP.

Sounds logical to me that Royal Carribbean lean their food and entertainment towards the nationality of the majority of the expected guests. The ship is sailing out of the UK with an 80/90 percent of the passengers being from the British Isles.

I'm sailing on the Indy out of Southampton in November and although I enjoy the wafer thin cooked to a crisp American bacon I am looking forward to having my usual back bacon (not undercooked - it is pink when fully cooked and is not crispy!) I also hope to be able to answer some of the Trivia question. In past cruises where the majority of guest have been American and the questions on topics familiar to them I've been lost :)

I never found the American slant on everything a problem - when in Rome etc.. but I am surprised anyone would feel the need to post such a strong warning that there is a British slant on a cruise from the UK catering obviously to a mainly UK clinetele - surely it would be obvious this would be the case.:confused:

Funny they had the Rock Britannia street party when she sailed out of the US. Saw it last April, complete with big Union Jack hung above the RP.

They also had it when we sailed Independence last February.

US-UK_Flag_408x212.jpg

I for one enjoy the whole experience of getting over to the states and immersing myself into the Floridian way of life for a couple of days pre cruise and a week or more afterwards.

I love everything on board that is different from my norm, yet I also love the way we're all so similar (must be our "special" relationship"). I Love meeting new faces varying from different so many different States around such a vast and interesting country.

I loved watching an NFL game in the bar with a couple of American lads where they explained the individual beauty of that game, then trying to convey the intricacies of the offside rule in Football on the sports court (Soccer!).

Variety is the spice of life............!

The extent to which people like to be 'immersed' in another culture varies. I've been to several Caribbean islands cruising. I suppose to truly be immersed in the way of life of many of the people on some of those islands, I'd probably need a shore excursion doing hard manual labor in the hot sun for a pittance, or desperately pitching a hard-sell of 'me, too' merchandise (like dozens of others around me) to disinterested cruise passengers.

But I much prefer the pampered affluent foreigner passenger experience, led around by excursion guides and assured a fun time.

Now, there are people who much prefer getting away from the touristy venues and seeking out establishments that cater to locals, interacting with them on a more casual basis, etc... To each their own.

I would expect a cruise to cater heavily to the majority of the passengers.

Another thing; some people are more 'open' to new experiences and enjoy more spontaneity, and like encountering new things (food, customs, entertainment) 'in the field' without needing much advance notice.

And some people are more conservative, don't like surprises, and prefer to be informed in advance of what's different about a cruise or other vacation. They may enjoy something new & different, if given advance notice and time to warm to the idea. (This is how I am).

That said, I find cultural differences interesting, and were I cruising on ship with a majority of foreign passengers, regardless of their nationality, I'd like to know in advance what might be different about that cruise experience compared to what I'm used to.

Thus, non-antagonistic threads discussing such differences are useful to some folks.

Richard.

It's Huevos Rancheros BTW, and I usually bring along my own salsas both red and green.:)

Jellied eels -No

Bangers and mash - Sausage & potatoes Yes

Bubble and squeak - Yes

Tripe and onions - No, Liver and onions Yes

Porridge -No

Haggis - Perhaps

black puddins - No

steak and kidney pudding (with real suet)-Yes

and steak that's like "shoe leather" Reminds me fondly of Mexican Beef

You forgot to add pickled herring, haddies or whatever fish for breakfast:eek:

We have our Texas/New Mexico cusine that rivals Indian Currys or Thai for BTU content so bland doesn't excite me.

But hey, I'd be the one that was visiting, so trot it out here.

I'll usually do a Yorkshire Pudding when I'm cooking a Prime Rib.

Thank you for your kind words, and I for one do not take any insult, BUT,

I do have to say one thing, we do NOT have an accent. It is called English the way we speak is how it is supposed to sound ...................Well okay maybe those that are from "Up North" Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, or those from the West Country or Norfolk, and definately those from Birmingham, yes they have accents.

Well okay maybe you are right after all :D:D:D:D:D

It sounded to me like to OP was kinda just giving everyone an FYI, not trying to be insulting to anyone from the UK. I, personally, would LOVE to experience the "UK way of life!" I am very fascinated, especially with the accent :D!! It is on the top of my list of places to visit!!!!

Having quite a giggle reading this thread. OH just ate a chunk of Black Pudding (aka blood sausage) for a late night snack, cold, just out of the fridge. Not my taste, but we all like different things. :)

I have been interested in the past on a TA out of the UK on Navigator, that there was a mix of US and UK questions at the Quizzes (aka Trivia) and breakfast foods that reflected the tastes of both countries.

The comedy is one area that often shows the differences between us. That and the fact that many Americans give standing ovations at the drop of a hat which Brits are much more reluctant to award.

We have sailed two TAs in recent years, the 2008 on the Indy from the UK to Fl. The asst CD told us that the Indy would not lose it's UK flavor (trivia, WJ food) until it started it's Florida runs. I like bangers and mashed and the various pies (fish,shephards, etc.) so was always on the lookout at breakfast time And for trivia, esp. with a sports theme, we always looked for a couple from the UK to pair up with.

We spent most of the 12 days trying to figure out which accents belonged to which parts of Britain.

Cheers !

We were on the Indy a few weeks ago and had a great time!

We especially enjoyed the British dry humor and the cruise director Joff Eaton was the best! He kept us laughing for 2 weeks...

We've cruised so much out of American ports that frankly it is can be a bit of the same old thing. The mild infusion of things British made the cruise interesting and fun. It was one of our best cruises.

We enjoyed meeting and talking to many Brits. It's a nice change from only meeting other Americans.

By the way we loved the Brittania show. If you like the Beatles, Rolling Stones etc. you can't help but have a good time!

I'll bet the OP looked for a McDonalds in every port...:eek:

The food items were prepared the way they like them in the UK. Examples: Lamb was served with mint sauce rather than mint jelly. Shrimp cocktail was served with a dressing similar to thousand Island rather than red cocktail sauce. Bacon was very undercooked. Heavous rancheros was served with baked beans instead of refried beans. Many other items were on the menu such as Kidney beef pie.

Now, I don't have a problem when most were from the UK. I'm just advising the Americans of these things so they know before they go.

To Nearing 100 cruises:

I think you are probably trying to be helpful -- or perhaps you were disappointed that you missed some of your favorite things -- but I really don't have any problem with the cruise line catering to the likes of the home port country. It was the same on our Norwegian Fjords/British Isles cruise on the Jewel a few years ago. Anyway, I prefer mint sauce to mint jelly, and my husband loves baked beans with his eggs! :)

We were recently in Eastern Europe and while some of the hotels we stayed at were occupied by mainly American tourists, the breakfast buffets were very much the typical local fare. We try to be adventurous and eat like the locals do. It's often a pleasant surprise.

Suzanne

To Nearing 100 cruises:

I think you are probably trying to be helpful -- or perhaps you were disappointed that you missed some of your favorite things -- but I really don't have any problem with the cruise line catering to the likes of the home port country. It was the same on our Norwegian Fjords/British Isles cruise on the Jewel a few years ago. Anyway, I prefer mint sauce to mint jelly, and my husband loves baked beans with his eggs!

We raise more sheep than any state in the US, and also eat less of them!

I love lamb, but never with mint; balsamic and rosemary are more to my taste, although the wife (Tennessee) won't touch the stuff.

We do have a couple of populations that will eat mutton, the Navajo come to mind.:D

Baked beans with eggs, never here, Texas Chile Omelets with Sharp Chedder, Barbacoa con refritos. Menudo, Breakfast of Champions good for the Crudos!! No, I won't eat that either.

We were recently in Eastern Europe and while some of the hotels we stayed at were occupied by mainly American tourists, the breakfast buffets were very much the typical local fare. We try to be adventurous and eat like the locals do. It's often a pleasant surprise.

Suzanne

We spent some time in Norway, and SAS Hotels try to please everyone.

Cold meats and cheeses with fish etc for breakfast was a little different.

But hey, it's not our country or obviously not our part of the country, so thank you for the hospitality.:)

The food items were prepared the way they like them in the UK. Examples: Lamb was served with mint sauce rather than mint jelly. Shrimp cocktail was served with a dressing similar to thousand Island rather than red cocktail sauce. Bacon was very undercooked. Heavous rancheros was served with baked beans instead of refried beans. Many other items were on the menu such as Kidney beef pie.

I can't believe people complain....

If Dick Van Dyke can do Cockney and hang with Julie Andrews, why can't the rest of us try life on the other side

LOL

I guess you could call Mockney ACCENT

That was BAD BAD Attempt a UK Accent

If Dick Van Dyke Ever tries to use that Accent AGAIN HE SHOULD BE PUT IN JAIL:p

Jellied eels

Bangers and mash

Bubble and squeak

Tripe and onions

Porridge

Haggis

black puddins

Porridge - What's Wrong with Porridge :eek:

AS for the rest this it Why Indian Food Has become a such a HIT in the UK :D :p ;)

Archived