Whats jersey week, and why is that bad if we are crusing over it?

Have NO idea what jersey week is, and why it might be bad that we are cruising it ... anyone?

we are on freedom of the seas, if that matters.

thanks!

I am assuming you are referring to the first week in November? All public schools close for at least 2 days that week, a lot of them for the entire week due to the annual teachers convention. Taking into account that the kids aren't in school, a lot of families tend to take vacations that week to take advantage of fall rates.

If you don't mind sharing the ship with a lot of people from the NJ area (there are also 2 other states I believe off at the same time) there is no issue. Remember not all of us from NJ are like the stereotypes you see on TV. Having said that there are a lot of those that do match the stereotype who sail that week! If you stay away from Explorer (out of Bayonne) you will fine, but do expect a lot of kids that week.

Jersey Week is a popular vacation time for the ENTIRE STATE of New Jersey! Every year, the NJ Teacher's Union has a convention in November and schools are closed that Thursday and Friday. This year it's November 4-5. Since it's already a short week, many parents plan vacations so their kids only miss 3 days of school. It can mean a lot of crowds and a lot of kids that week.

Jersey Week is a popular vacation time for the ENTIRE STATE of New Jersey! Every year, the NJ Teacher's Union has a convention in November and schools are closed that Thursday and Friday. This year it's November 4-5. Since it's already a short week, many parents plan vacations so their kids only miss 3 days of school. It can mean a lot of crowds and a lot of kids that week.

It's a professional development conference for NJEA.

Election Day is that Tuesday. With three days of school closure, many New Jersey families choose to cruise.

Is it necessarily a problem for other cruisers? No, but if I were totally flexible in my schedule, I would pick a different week.

:)

Edit: One more thought: this particular week may be less likely to have a price drop because Royal Caribbean KNOWS that there are all of those Jersey families out there.....

would you change dates of your cruise because of it?

If I found out a bunch of kids from anywhere was going to be on my cruise, I probably would change the date. I'd probably also switch if I found out a big group of just about any type of people were on the cruise (having experienced such a thing on my first cruise). Just seems like it would be a hassle. If it were me and I were flexible, I would change dates.

would you change dates of your cruise because of it?

We did Freedom that week 2 years ago. It is more like a normal summer cruise than a quiet fall cruise. We didn't notice an overabundance of people from NJ, but there were more than you would expect not realizing what week it was. My DS was 13 and didn't hang out with anyone from NJ, but kids from lots of other places.

If you are going with kids I wouldn't change the week, if you don't have kids sailing with you I would switch weeks.

We sailed on Liberty that week in 2007. We had a great time. I don't really think I noticed that many more kids than usual, but then again, I had 2 kids with me. There were other NJ families but we were not the majority of the ship. Because television Hollywood likes to represents us like a bunch of loud, foul mouthed, big haired princesses, everyone seems to think that they will find that when they see us and have to change dates. Really, I didn't have big hair back in the 80s when it was fashionable. And while I talk fast (must be the native NYer in me) I absolutely do not identify with what they try to portray as "The Housewives of NJ". I don't know a single woman who even comes close to those crazies.

Would I change? Nope. But then again, I am from New Jersey. But everyone has different wants and needs. Freedom is a big ship that attracts a lot of families.

I was on the Explorer last fall during "Jersey week". (10/29-11/7 cruise) Not many kids at all. The few kids that were on, were younger and well behaved. If you didn't know it was "jersey week" you would not notice any difference in that cruise in comparison to any other fall cruise.

I would think that if you are cruising out of Florida you will find even fewer "Jersey kids" as most families considering a cruise that week would probably cruise out of the NY/NJ area, as opposed to having to fly to FL.

I'd also like to say that 90-95% of the people from NJ are NOT like the "Jersey Shore" TV jerks. Almost all of the kids on that show are not even from NJ.

I was on the Explorer last fall during "Jersey week". (10/29-11/7 cruise) Not many kids at all. The few kids that were on, were younger and well behaved. If you didn't know it was "jersey week" you would not notice any difference in that cruise in comparison to any other fall cruise.

I would think that if you are cruising out of Florida you will find even fewer "Jersey kids" as most families considering a cruise that week would probably cruise out of the NY/NJ area, as opposed to having to fly to FL.

I'd also like to say that 90-95% of the people from NJ are NOT like the "Jersey Shore" TV jerks. Almost all of the kids on that show are not even from NJ.

lol, I was going to say, if you are worried about cruising with Jersey folks, you probably should never go on the Explorer. The question 'where are you from' more often than not is just shorthand for 'where in NJ are you from?'.

As a Jersey girl myself I love it.

We sailed on Liberty that week in 2007. We had a great time. I don't really think I noticed that many more kids than usual, but then again, I had 2 kids with me. There were other NJ families but we were not the majority of the ship. Because television Hollywood likes to represents us like a bunch of loud, foul mouthed, big haired princesses, everyone seems to think that they will find that when they see us and have to change dates. Really, I didn't have big hair back in the 80s when it was fashionable. And while I talk fast (must be the native NYer in me) I absolutely do not identify with what they try to portray as "The Housewives of NJ". I don't know a single woman who even comes close to those crazies.

Would I change? Nope. But then again, I am from New Jersey. But everyone has different wants and needs. Freedom is a big ship that attracts a lot of families.

It would not be the Jersey part, but the kid part that would be an issue for most....:)

We unknowingly booked a trip to WDW during Jersey Week:eek: Stayed at Animal Kingdom and the place was packed. The parks were all crazy busy. Not sure how much this translates to cruises that week...

I live in NJ and have many friends who live in many different townes and when some of you say ALOT of NJ families cruise that week....well, not so sure how true that really is. :cool: Take it for what it is worth, "many" or "alot" do NOT take vacation that week, SOME do though. In my experience it is a very small handful that chose that week over any other of the 51 available. Again, some do, maybe if you can only cruise on the cheap? Usually kids have WAY TOO MUCH going on as in sports or music, practices and other events and competitions that they cant miss. imho, very few I know chose that week to cruise.

I would cruise that week and I do cruise during spring break as well. We have been very lucky and mostly travel during kid-free times. :D

I think the trick is not to take a 7 night cruise. We usually do 12 nights and find few children on board for that length of time.

I also agree with the earlier poster who said they would not travel with any large groups; they take over venues for private gatherings and I don't like seeing signs telling me I can't go somewhere.

LOL does anyone realize that the show JERSEY SHORE is about being at the jersey shore NOT about people from jersey?? Those punk kids are from PA and NY not Jersey. Plus and no offense meant but most of the times when people say oh your from jersey they are thinking of North Jersey closer to NY, not all people from Jersey have a South philly or NY accent...LOL. And just to make it clear all people from South Jersey are not white trash and Red necks...LOL! There are lots of nice people from Jersey. I live in Jersey and work in a school (however it is special ed. Not main stream) but I've never even heard of Jersey Week :confused:. Now that I've heard what it is it makes sense but those of us that work in a school just call it "Thank God ...Long weekend" LOL!!!

Archived