Evaluating a beverage package? Here is a beverage list with prices, as of mid-2010.

jg51

Hello, folks.

Among the various kinds of beverages that I listed in the opening post of this thread, there are about sixty varieties of wine that are supposed to be available by the glass (at under $12.01) on Celebrity ships. [some others, not on my list, are available, by the glass, at higher prices.]

Yesterday, I had an opportunity to look at a 2008 wine menu that is associated with an Solstice-class lounge called "Cellar Masters." On that menu, there are about three dozen wine varieties available by the glass (about two dozen under $12.01) -- which I did NOT know about when I prepared this thread's opening post.

I have not been able to determine whether the aforesaid "new" varieties ...

(1) are served, by a sommelier, from bottle to glass to guest -- in which case they WOULD be covered by a beverage package ... or ...

(2) are served only via the Cellar Masters "Enomatic" wine-dispensing machine -- in which case they would NOT be covered by a beverage package.

I have decided to be optimistic and to list the new varieties, here and now, as potential addenda to the package-related list in the opening post:

WHITE WINES:

Paco & Lola, Albariño 8.0

Casa Lapostolle, Chardonnay 10.0

Sequoia Grove, Chardonnay 8.5

Freemark Abbey, Chardonnay 8.5

Murphy Goode, Fumé Blanc 8.0

Brancott, Sauvignon Blanc 6.5

Elk Cove, Pinot Gris 11.0

Leasingham, Riesling 6.5

La Roncaia, Tocai Fruliano 8.0

ROSE' WINE:

Rosé, C.D'Esclans "Whispering Angel" 7.5

RED WINES:

Alfredo Prunotto, Barbera D’Alba 6.5

Mont Redon, Châteauneuf-du-Pape 12.0

Bodegas E.A., Garnacha 7.5

Benton Lane, Pinot Noir 11.0

Foley, Pinot Noir 12.0

Catena Zapata, Malbec 10.5

St. Francis, Merlot 9.0

Antinori, Rosso 8.0

Greg Norman, Shiraz 8.0

T. di Arceno, Super Tuscan 8.5

B. Juanico, Tannat 11.5

DIGESTIF/DESSERT WINES:

Gossart Gordon, Bual Madeira 8.0

Blandy, Malmsey Madeira 12.0

No, it never "makes sense" to break the law. Please, "mamoune," do not cheat. Not only would it make you guilty of a crime, but it would hurt the rest of us.

If enough people cheat Celebrity and they thus begin to lose money (or to profit insufficiently), they either will stop offering packages or will jack up the prices "artificially."

That's a bit extreme......."guilty of a crime". Obviously the rules state that the privilege is exclusive to the card holder alone. And that should be honoured for the most part. Ultimately, we would be naive to think Celeberity did not build a certan % buffer into their pricing for some "slippage". They would have built a pricing model, built in cost associated with average consumption over a 7 day period by a typical passenger, then added margin to cover squeued results (covering double dippers to certain extent and excessive drinkers). Finally coming up with a price that was affordable but continued to allow them to make profit based on all variables.

My buddies and I are debating whether to do one of the alcohol packages. I would appreciate it if a few of you could attempt to persuade us to purchase the package, or attempt to persuade us not too.

Here's a few specifics for those of you intent on convincing me: Generally, everyone in our group limits our drinking until the evenings, although that's not always the case. And my guess is that will certainly not be the case if it's pre-paid. We like wine with dinner, but any other drinks go the rest of the time. I like good wine, but there are plenty of nice glasses under $12. Three of the four of us enjoy specialty coffees. We're on the Solstice in November - I'm not sure whether that helps or not.

My buddies and I are debating whether to do one of the alcohol packages. I would appreciate it if a few of you could attempt to persuade us to purchase the package, or attempt to persuade us not too.

Here's a few specifics for those of you intent on convincing me: Generally, everyone in our group limits our drinking until the evenings, although that's not always the case. And my guess is that will certainly not be the case if it's pre-paid. We like wine with dinner, but any other drinks go the rest of the time. I like good wine, but there are plenty of nice glasses under $12. Three of the four of us enjoy specialty coffees. We're on the Solstice in November - I'm not sure whether that helps or not.

My guess is the delta either way is going to be less than $50 (either saved or overspent) so it really comes down to convenience. The convenience of just getting your drink and not having to sign that little piece of paper with the wind blowing and sunscreen and water everywhere is well worth it. Plus you have the added advantage of sinking it into the cost of your vacation up front......peace of mind....just do it.

Originally Posted by jg51: "No, it never 'makes sense' to break the law. Please, 'mamoune,' do not cheat. Not only would it make you guilty of a crime, but it would hurt the rest of us."

That's a bit extreme......."guilty of a crime".

Sorry, "maxi1966," but you couldn't be more wrong.

What I told "mamoune" was factual. Were you somehow never taught that stealing is a "crime," and that a person who does it is "guilty?"

It's really a very simple and true concept. EXAMPLE:

Suppose we are dining separately in a restaurant. Suppose you leave some change or a $1 bill on your table as a tip for the waiter. Suppose I walk over, pick up that money, and walk out with it ...

Guess what? I am "guilty of a crime." That money didn't belong to me. I stole it from you and/or the waiter to whom it belonged.

I just described a situation in which the amount was very small ($1 or less), and yet all normally educated people would see it as a crime of which I was guilty -- one for which I could be arrested. So much more, therefore, would it be a crime for "mamoune" to cheat on a beverage package, where the amount stolen would be between $2 and $12 ... and, if done daily (even more than once daily), could add up to more than $100.

Obviously the rules state that the privilege is exclusive to the card holder alone. And that should be honoured for the most part.

Oh, no, mon ami! Not "for the most part," but always. Honesty is the way of life pursued by civilized people with whom decent travelers want to associate. Occasional or habitual dishonesty is not.

"Maxi1966," it is very disturbing to see you trying to defend theft. Did your parents or teachers wrongly tell you that stealing is OK, despite the laws that society has had against it for millennia? Or is it that you know that stealing is wrong, but you've stolen things many times in your life, and now the way you deal with the repressed guilt is to try to get other people to commit similar crimes?

Don't answer, please. Those are rhetorical questions -- to get you to think and change.

PS: What Celebrity may or may not have factored in is irrelevant. What is right and wrong is the only thing that matters.

Originally Posted by jg51: "No, it never 'makes sense' to break the law. Please, 'mamoune,' do not cheat. Not only would it make you guilty of a crime, but it would hurt the rest of us."

Sorry, "maxi1966," but you couldn't be more wrong.

What I told "mamoune" was factual. Were you somehow never taught that stealing is a "crime," and that a person who does it is "guilty?"

It's really a very simple and true concept. EXAMPLE:

Suppose we are dining separately in a restaurant. Suppose you leave some change or a $1 bill on your table as a tip for the waiter. Suppose I walk over, pick up that money, and walk out with it ...

Guess what? I am "guilty of a crime." That money didn't belong to me. I stole it from you and/or the waiter to whom it belonged.

I just described a situation in which the amount was very small ($1 or less), and yet all normally educated people would see it as a crime of which I was guilty -- one for which I could be arrested. So much more, therefore, would it be a crime for "mamoune" to cheat on a beverage package, where the amount stolen would be between $2 and $12 ... and, if done daily (even more than once daily), could add up to more than $100.

Oh, no, mon ami! Not "for the most part," but always. Honesty is the way of life pursued by civilized people with whom decent travelers want to associate. Occasional or habitual dishonesty is not.

"Maxi1966," it is very disturbing to see you trying to defend theft. Did your parents or teachers wrongly tell you that stealing is OK, despite the laws that society has had against it for millennia? Or is it that you know that stealing is wrong, but you've stolen things many times in your life, and now the way you deal with the repressed guilt is to try to get other people to commit similar crimes?

Don't answer, please. Those are rhetorical questions -- to get you to think and change.

PS: What Celebrity may or may not have factored in is irrelevant. What is right and wrong is the only thing that matters.

Please feel free to jump off your soap box whenever you are ready! It is disturbing to me that you sit yourself on such a high pedestal and judge others so acrimoniously. The rambling psychobable is moderately amusing but has a modicum of hypocrisy sprinkled throughout. Please save your sanctimonious squalor for someone and somewhere else. It really has no place on a blog about Cruises and Cruise boats. Find a more suitabe forum. Lastly, the drinks have been paid for, therefore nothing is being stolen. No different than buying a plate at an all-you-can-eat salad bar and giving your wife a slice of cucumber off your plate. Are you supposed to do that?? No! Is it a stealing?? No! Is it a crime?? Definitely not!!! Find some perspective jg...you cant' paint everything with one large sweeping brush stroke.

Please feel free to jump off your soap box whenever you are ready! It is disturbing to me that you sit yourself on such a high pedestal and judge others so acrimoniously. The rambling psychobable is moderately amusing but has a modicum of hypocrisy sprinkled throughout. Please save your sanctimonious squalor for someone and somewhere else. It really has no place on a blog about Cruises and Cruise boats. Find a more suitabe forum. Lastly, the drinks have been paid for, therefore nothing is being stolen. No different than buying a plate at an all-you-can-eat salad bar and giving your wife a slice of cucumber off your plate. Are you supposed to do that?? No! Is it a stealing?? No! Is it a crime?? Definitely not!!! Find some perspective jg...you cant' paint everything with one large sweeping brush stroke.

Amen

Hi, Can I just ask about tipping with the premium package, this may seem like a daft question but is a percentage just added onto the package to cover this or do we still tip each time we order a drink?

15% is added on (or included) depending on which sites prices you are looking at; on our My Celebrity it is now showing the price minus tip but if you click to buy the 15% is added on. I think others say theres is still showing price including 15% but whichever once you buy you will have paid the tips, though some do tip regular servers from time to time - seems this practice is more as an insurance policy to get the regular service though it may also be to recognise exceptional service.

On our forthcoming trip we will not tip additional until such time as we received regular exceptional service which is above and beyond the expected in which case we may reward that server and we will give a small amount to any regular server on the last day - again that might be larger if we have been "adopted" by a server

I couldn't find myself able to defend people who ignored the dress code, but STEALING! There is no excuse for out and out stealing. A cucumber slice that would have been thrown away anyway is a ridiculous comparison to a drink that was NOT paid for because it was not consumed by the purchaser. PERIOD.

So, if one were to expand on your logic, I guess you'd think it acceptable if you and a friend were to go into a buffet restaurant, pay for one person, and you would bring your friend a plate of food, because some of that food would probably be thrown out eventually. When you pay for something that's only for one, and two people partake, that's OK by you? What if everyone adhered to your logic? Do you honestly think the beverage program would be long for this world? Where would this end----two times a day---three? Celebrity does NOT build in that much of a profit margin to cover an unlimited number of passengers who would cheat the system.

No, it never "makes sense" to break the law. Please, "mamoune," do not cheat. Not only would it make you guilty of a crime, but it would hurt the rest of us.

If enough people cheat Celebrity and they thus begin to lose money (or to profit insufficiently), they either will stop offering packages or will jack up the prices "artificially."

I was not thinking of cheating, actually, my husband and I are not drinkers... one package would not be worth it even for the two of us!!! I was just thinking out loud I guess... I am sure people do that kind of thing and was wondering how Celebrity could make sure that doesn't happen... so the cost of the package is fair for everyone. Sorry if you thought I wanted to cheat..

I agree.....

Bob

I couldn't find myself able to defend people who ignored the dress code, but STEALING! There is no excuse for out and out stealing. A cucumber slice that would have been thrown away anyway is a ridiculous comparison to a drink that was NOT paid for because it was not consumed by the purchaser. PERIOD.

Who says the cucumber slice would be thrown away?? Wouldn't the next patron to the salad bar simply choose that cucumber slice??

That cucumber slice was also not consumed by the purchaser and is of relatively simlar value to the overall price of the salad as one beer is to the overall price price of the drink package. One beer is equivalent to 1.72% of the overall price of the package.

So, if one were to expand on your logic, I guess you'd think it acceptable if you and a friend were to go into a buffet restaurant, pay for one person, and you would bring your friend a plate of food, because some of that food would probably be thrown out eventually. When you pay for something that's only for one, and two people partake, that's OK by you? What if everyone adhered to your logic? Do you honestly think the beverage program would be long for this world? Where would this end----two times a day---three? Celebrity does NOT build in that much of a profit margin to cover an unlimited number of passengers who would cheat the system.

Where did I ever state that it would be acceptable to do as you mentionned above. There is a significant difference between where the original discussion began......one or two drinks over the cruise...which I do see as acceptable.....and your ramblings above. You have taken significant liberties and expanded the discussion far beyond where it began simply to prove some inane point.

...What if everyone adhered to your logic? Do you honestly think the beverage program would be long for this world? Where would this end----two times a day---three? Celebrity does NOT build in that much of a profit margin to cover an unlimited number of passengers who would cheat the system.

And as I'd already posted on another thread...

And I'm irritated just reporting this... But the point above has ALREADY started happening. I am sailing a charter on the Equinox next week. Celebrity has decided the drink packages will NOT be offered on our charter.

The reason? The last charter that sailed with Celebrity there was rampant abuse of the packages. Lots of sharing etc. So, those selfish, thoughtless "adults" who decided the rules didn't apply to them ruined the package offer for the rest of us.

Thanks a lot people! Cheaters ruined it for the rest of us. :mad:

Who says the cucumber slice would be thrown away?? Wouldn't the next patron to the salad bar simply choose that cucumber slice??

That cucumber slice was also not consumed by the purchaser and is of relatively simlar value to the overall price of the salad as one beer is to the overall price price of the drink package. One beer is equivalent to 1.72% of the overall price of the package.

The cucumber would be thrown away because it was already on the plate of the person who paid. That is the comparison that the poster was using. Read the post I was quoting.

Why not just go to a punch-card system with a certain (fairly generous) number of punches allowed on the card? I think those who are inclined to cheat by "sharing" would be less inclined to do so than the current way, and even if not, there would be a maximum number of drinks that could be "shared."

I am a shareholder, and I do care if the company is profitable.

The cucumber would be thrown away because it was already on the plate of the person who paid. That is the comparison that the poster was using. Read the post I was quoting.

So are you saying that if I ordered a beverage as part of this plan, and I decided that after drinking some of it, I was not going to finish it....it is stealing if my wife finishes the drink which I would have left to be thrown away?

The original example using the cucumber, which I put out there, had the diner purposefully bring a piece of cucumber back from the salad bar for his wife. It seems the same to me but for some reason, because we are talking alcohol and not vegetables, it becomes a crime......which if you really sit back and think about it....is ridiculous. I am in no way suggesting is ok for one passenger to buy this plan then have 2 people spend the entire cruise double dipping BUT 1 or 2 drinks over the 7 days is entirely within reason.

I am in no way suggesting is ok for one passenger to buy this plan then have 2 people spend the entire cruise double dipping BUT 1 or 2 drinks over the 7 days is entirely within reason.

No, it isn't within reason.

What I would consider to be within reason would be to let the person you are with have ONE SIP of a particular drink (alcoholic or coffee) in order to decide whether it was tasty enough to that person that they would want to order and pay for a drink like it. And no, not every time you order a drink.

So are you saying that if I ordered a beverage as part of this plan, and I decided that after drinking some of it, I was not going to finish it....it is stealing if my wife finishes the drink which I would have left to be thrown away?

The original example using the cucumber, which I put out there, had the diner purposefully bring a piece of cucumber back from the salad bar for his wife. It seems the same to me but for some reason, because we are talking alcohol and not vegetables, it becomes a crime......which if you really sit back and think about it....is ridiculous. I am in no way suggesting is ok for one passenger to buy this plan then have 2 people spend the entire cruise double dipping BUT 1 or 2 drinks over the 7 days is entirely within reason.

No, it is not within reason. It is stealing. Where would you say it starts to become wrong? 3? 4? 11? Wrong is wrong. If you can't afford to pay for your wife's 1 or 2 drinks then she should not be drinking.