Formal or Informal

Jerry and Shelly

I only know one thing about dressing formally on "FORMAL NIGHTS", since I told my wife that I was going to buy a tux for our 2005 cruise (our first cruise for our 30th anniversary being in 1992 and our next for reasons too numerous to relate here, in 2002) and her response to that announcement being "you're going to buy what?????, and then ---- WHY???.

I simply told her that everybody in a tux on our previous 3 cruises looked like they were just enjoying themselves so much, that I thought it would be great to "DRESS UP" for this cruise. I sailed with excitedofharpendon and Ma Bell on that cruise and frankly never paid much attention to whether anyone else was in a tux or not. Our CC group, the Mercury Amigos had an amazing 11 days and I had a number of comments on how "spiffy" my wife & I looked. That did it for me.

I since have even gone to the extreme of buying and/or creating cummerbund, tie, stud and cufflink sets to match or complement my wife's outfits, and look forward every cruise to our special dress up nights.

P. S. - We just celebrated our 48th Wedding Anniversary this month!!!! (I must be doing something right - LOL)

Bob, congratulations to you and Carole on your Anniversary. I never paid any attention to what others were wearing either, but I noticed you guys. A smarter couple on formal night you couldn't wish to meet.:)

Phil

When you book a cruise, check the suggested attire. If it isn't what you like, book another cruise. If you do choose a cruise with a formal night, go along. You may not want to bring the really glitzy stuff. I gave that up after my suitcases got stolen. I only take stuff that I wouldn't mind losing. I try to dress appropriately for all situations. It's just being polite. If you don't have formal clothes, you can wear a dark suit for men or for women a black dress or a nice skirt/pants with a nice blouse. It's not hard to look good. Chico's travelers for women work for most nights. And, they don't wrinkle. Please leave the glitzy out of date poorly fitting worn at a longtime ago wedding home. It may be fancy, but it doesn't look good on a cruise or anywhere. Whatever you wear, make sure it fits. Rubber flip flops belong in the shower or at the pool. Please do not wear them or short shorts to dinner. It isn't appropriate on any cruise.

How about leaving one good cruiseline the way it is rather than making it as mediocre as the rest.

Agreee with you 100 % !

B/C we like to dine early does not mean we do not want to dress well for dinner.... generally, I like it the way it is-- usually 2 formal nights & the rest smart casual or above...

Would also be nice to throw in a Gala Ball where they really go all out in place of the 3rd formal night on longer itins!

Please educate me: what is Spetsnaz?

By the way' date=' when my son was a teen, he loved Farsight. I used to buy him the calendars, each day a different cartoon.[/quote']

Specnaz is a general term for "special forces" in Russian, literally "special purpose".

**** is overused and I kind of like the word, Spetsnaz.

I think the cartoon you are referring to is The Far Side, and I absolutely loved it too!

Just back from oiur first 2 week formal cruise on P&O's Oceana and though we are NOT the dressing up kind (just dont do the hair, make up and clothes stuff normally) we joined in with the formal nights and had a fantastic time. The formal nights actually helped to make our cruise very special - the photos are fab !

We are on Celebrity Silhouette next year and are hoping that folks join in with the formal night as the sight of a ship full of passengers from all sorts of backgrounds / ages etc in their 'posh' clothes was magical -

I can't quite fathom why you would request that information. Are you questioning my veracity that I have a confirmed Celebrity booking? Are you planning to stalk me? Are you hoping to discover I've booked "steerage" accommodation so you can discredit my views on appropriate dining attire???

I was wondering the same thing. Seemed a bit odd to me.:(

Everyone's experience is different. Mine has been quite different from yours. On my last few cruises, there were many men in sportcoats and slacks. Tuxes and suits, too, but many were not.

To what cruises do you refer?

That same poster also questioned me. I felt like he was trying to discredit my comments.

That same poster also questioned me. I felt like he was trying to discredit my comments.

There are several people on here that make those types of inquiries... and generally in a semi-negative way. It brings me down, just a tiny bit, when people respond to them! ;-)

There are several people on here that make those types of inquiries... and generally in a semi-negative way. It brings me down, just a tiny bit, when people respond to them! ;-)

I've notived that there are a few very well experienced cruisers on this board who have taken many cruises, and as such are very willing to give their opinion on the ways things have always been and the ways things must always be. This is fine; however, many of their posts have a hint of arrogance, sometimes to the point of being rude and nasty, patronizing and condensating, with a dash of entitlement and superiorty.

I like to give my opinions, but they are only opinions, and I respect all of the opinions of others. The only posts that I truly take into consideration are of those who just returned from their cruise and give actual reports and details.

Our next cruise will only be our 7th in 30 years, and we respect those who have been on so, so many cruises. However,we like variety in our travels, and have been to just about every state including Alaska and Hawaii, about 16 European countries, 4 different Mexican resorts on both coasts, parts of Canada, two All-Inclusives, 4 times to DisneyWorld, and countless number of trips to places like Las Vegas (probably at least 50 times) and Disneyland, San Francisco, San Diego, etc. So although we haven't been on many cruises, we still travel quite a bit.

Specnaz is a general term for "special forces" in Russian, literally "special purpose".

**** is overused and I kind of like the word, Spetsnaz.

I think the cartoon you are referring to is The Far Side, and I absolutely loved it too!

Apparently, the term Nzai can't even be typed so that is one more reason to use Spetsnaz!

Folks, it is not rocket science. Prior to our next three ten night Equinox cruises we will have the pleasure of cruising on the Radiance in October. We have decided to eschew attendance at dinner in the main dining room on the two formal nights and one informal night; instead, we will dine in the Windjammer on those nights. For us it is not a matter of what we can do, it is a matter of what we believe is appropriate for people who possess good manners; and, we possess good manners. By the way, and this is not to denigrate the Radiance, we always do black tie on the Celebrity formal nights; and, I believe that we have also done black tie on our prior five or six Radiance cruises on formal nights.

Jack while you make the choice not to attend the MDR on formal night that doesn't mean everyone else who chooses not to wear a tux has to do the same.

Trust me I NOT advocating casual wear in the MDR - EVER. But I think that some latitiude/discretion needs to be accepted; not only by =X= but by the passengers.

Jack while you make the choice not to attend the MDR on formal night that doesn't mean everyone else who chooses not to wear a tux has to do the same.

Trust me I NOT advocating casual wear in the MDR - EVER. But I think that some latitiude/discretion needs to be accepted; not only by =X= but by the passengers.

I totally agree with your post. I think everyone looked really decent on formal and smart casual nights on our May Eclipse cruise in the MDR. I did not notice anyone in shorts, ripped jeans, tank tops, baseball caps, etc. The people who did wear jeans on the smart casual nights had a dress shirt with them or a nice top. The people on formal nights had, at minimum, a dress shirt and tie. I really did not see anyone looking or acting upset, whether it was the head waiters/maitre'd or other passengers. People were curteous and everyone looked like they were having a wonderful time. I don't see why it offends people who want to dress to the nines what other people choose to wear. It isn't rude or poor manners. They are not snubbing other people. Personally, I have no problems with what people choose to wear as long as they dress decently.

A male is not required to wear a tux; a suit will do. I believe that we are in agreement in that casual wear in the dining room on formal nights is not appropriate. We will be dressing smart casual on this cruise, but we would never attempt to dine in that attire in the main dining room on the formal or informal nights. My understanding is that formal ( for a male) is a tux or suit with all the trimmings and informal is sportcoat, slacks and tie. Also, as you are aware, Celebrity has eliminated informal; hence formal is tux or suit etc., and everything else is smart casual. It may be a matter of semantics, but I believe that the latter means slacks and a shirt with a collar and sleeves, which do not have to extend to the wrists.

A male is not required to wear a tux; a suit will do. I believe that we are in agreement in that casual wear in the dining room on formal nights is not appropriate. We will be dressing smart casual on this cruise, but we would never attempt to dine in that attire in the main dining room on the formal or informal nights. My understanding is that formal ( for a male) is a tux or suit with all the trimmings and informal is sportcoat, slacks and tie. Also, as you are aware, Celebrity has eliminated informal; hence formal is tux or suit etc., and everything else is smart casual. It may be a matter of semantics, but I believe that the latter means slacks and a shirt with a collar and sleeves, which do not have to extend to the wrists.

Actually I agree with you regarding your clothing definitions.

My only disagreement is that formal night, in my observation and interpretation, is that it is highly suggested but not strictly enforced. I know because I've been one of those who dressed in business casual on formal nights and was allowed to eat in the MDR.

Having said that I HAVE purchased a new tux, with tails, that I plan on wearing on my upcoming Millenium cruise in October. I'm even going to break down and actually wear an ascot - the first time I'll have sported a tie since 2005!:eek:

I have to admit that my 'change of heart' was reinforced this past weekend when I did a short 3-day cruise on RCI. I was appalled at the manner of dress and behavior of a lot of the passengers. It really 'shocked' me to the point that I realized that I had been sucked into the 'just go with the flow' crowd. :o

To those women who are adament formal wear supporters:

I think that if the men are going to wear 'ties' then the women should at least wear dresses that extend to their knees and they should be REQUIRED to wear high heals (minimum of 1"), corsets and pantyhose as well :D

To those women who are adament formal wear supporters:

I think that if the men are going to wear 'ties' then the women should at least wear dresses that extend to their knees and they should be REQUIRED to wear high heals (minimum of 1"), corsets and pantyhose as well :D

Glad you posted that big:D at the end of the sentence:D

Pantyhose? They don't go with open toed dressy sandals:):D

Sandals!!!:eek::eek::eek:

How did you EVER get into the MDR dressed like that??? ;)

Because they are dressy, with the over the 1 inch heel you said you

wanted:D....and sandals have always been permitted:D heels or flats.

A male is not required to wear a tux; a suit will do.

I really hate to jump into all this "fun" you all are having' date=' . . . but it is quite possible that some people might just be stuck in the past, . . . and haven't read Celebrity's website recently. :)

Red text is direct for Celebrity, . . .

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

Celebrity's definition of proper attire for Formal night includes a dinner jacket and slacks. And, . . . there is absolutely no mention of ties being required.

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Celebrity's definition of proper attire for Smart Casual is simply pants and sport shirt. Add, . . . as has been pointed our already, there is no exclusion of jeans.

Contrary to what has been stated, they don't extend the night's dress across the whole ship, and they specifically spell out the excluded items as follows, . . .

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

I can understand some people's desire to convince others on these boards that the standards of dress may be higher then they really are, . . . but reality is Celebrity's position, today, isn't as high as some on this thread might want you to believe (to me anyway).

Frankly, . . . I found this whole thread quite funny. Why are some so passionate about what others are wearing to dinner in the first place? I was brought up to be respectful, courteous, and an independent person without fear of expressing oneself. I was also raise to mind my own business when what I was seeing or hearing did not have a direct impact on my life. So, . . . if someone is in the MDR with less than what Celebrity wants, . . . frankly, it is not going to impact my life and I will continue to enjoy my vacation.

It is Celebrity's position that passengers should respect, . . . not the opinions expressed by past passengers. Celebrity can deal with it as they wish too - given it is there vacation offering and they need to deal with occupancy rates, revenue, and profit. They are the ones that needs to keep these things in balance, . . . not me. :)

Celebrity's definition of proper attire for Formal night includes a dinner jacket and slacks. And, . . . there is absolutely no mention of ties being required.

I think perhaps you are mistaking a dinner jacket for a sports jacket. They are vastly different. A dinner jacket is formal wear. Normally white. The tie is understood in formal attire.

How about leaving one good cruiseline the way it is rather than making it as mediocre as the rest.

I love the formal evenings and look forward to seeing the many elegant dresses worn by many of the guests. I enjoy dressing up for the few nights that are formal, and many evening dresses these days are easily packed, (unless you go princess fu-fu style), why not enjoy these evenings and stop trying to change things, sometimes tradition is best kept the way it is, too many things are changing for the worse. Those husbands worried about a tux, it is acceptable on these evenings for men to wear a dark suit.

Archived