solo room stewart tip question

NEWORLEANSCRUISER1

It's per person. It's only one bed to make; not two, Cleaning the cabin for one person. Only one person to serve in the dining room. No different then on land. Even though they only earn tip for one person for a 2 berth cabin, some cabins they service will have three/four berth so their tips average out.

Crystal Cruises recommends tipping more to the cabin steward for a single. I forget how much more it was (a couple dollars more a day?). It does sort of make sense since most of the cabin cleaning effort is the same for one person as it is for two. Personally I would probably do that provided I'm happy with their service.

The other tips (waiters etc.) should be per person, so same amount whether you're travelling solo or double occupancy.

- Nancy

As a practice, whenever I cruise solo, I always tip the room steward an additional amount that would equal what a second person would pay. This is purely personal preference on my part. I just don't want to see them get deprived of any income because there's only one person in the cabin. Granted, I am not a great fan of "automatic" tips, but it is simply the reality of the world we live in. Bottom line, when there is only one person in a cabin, the room steward gets only half the gratuities he/she would normally get.

I normally participate in the automatic gratuity program, then tip the additional amount in cash at the beginning of the cruise. This gesture always seems to be greatly appreciated.

I'm just saying....:)

Crystal Cruises recommends tipping more to the cabin steward for a single. I forget how much more it was (a couple dollars more a day?). It does sort of make sense since most of the cabin cleaning effort is the same for one person as it is for two. Personally I would probably do that provided I'm happy with their service.

The other tips (waiters etc.) should be per person, so same amount whether you're travelling solo or double occupancy.

- Nancy

Crystal suggests just a $1/day more. I always add about $2/day on top...but I've had several stewardesses (all on Crystal are women) tell me how neat that I keep the cabin and how easy it is to keep clean!:) (I'm not that neat at home!)

You are only charge one per person rate for cabin.

As a rule, the majority of my cabin stewarts on sailings have been outstanding. My rooms always clean and my reqest for extra ice (I bring a small cooler for my colas and juice) always kept top.

I never forget Angel on my 2005 sailing. There was alot of sand in my beach shoes and I was going to take them by the pool area and clean them off. When I came back from dinner that evening, my water shoes were clean just like new!!

Depending on the cruise lenght, I normally tip $20 and write a thank note in a card.

Now on two cruises I had stewarts that barely made the grade. I had one that I had to ask for even the basics every day (clean towels) and on another ship it was often that at 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. no room service (I didn't have a "No disturb" sign and was gone early for shore items). I didn't tip either of these guys extra.

It will be your call on this on tipping!

I always give my attendant some extra $....oh just an FYI...it is

cabin stewerad:D....Stewart is a name.....;)

And I have had male and female, so I call them Cabin attendants:)

And I don't tip for 2 since I sail solo but I do give more than the

"suggested amount".

I've always had outstanding room stewards, so I've left something extra for them. For instance, on a 10-day cruise, I left the steward $20 extra, which worked out to $2 per day. It's really up to your discretion. I agree that cleaning a cabin for 1 or 2 people is the same. The big difference is if the occupants are neat or messy, regardless of whether there are 1 or 2 passengers in the cabin.

Roz

I always tip $20 extra in cash at the end of the cruise when I cruise solo because I feel that the room steward has to do almost as much whether there are one or two passengers in the room. I would feel guilty if they only earned half their room tip because I chose to cruise solo. I've had great stewards each time and it seemed they were especially thoughtful because I was alone.

Archived