Sistine Chapel

fnewman

Has anyone taken a Rome tour that we primarily focused on the Sistine Chapel? We would like to spend quite a bit of a day there, but it seems like everything we see cover a lot of territory and time that we have already experienced.

Hi Frank & Debbie,

Check out My Vatican Tour. I have not used them, but they have a very good reputation.

By the way, we're on the same cruise. We're flying into Rome and spending four nights there prior to taking a train to Venice.

See you onboard...

Lew

There are no tours that primarily concentrate only on the Sistine Chapel as it can only be reached by walking through the Vatican Museums. It is just really one room of the museum so not really a place to spend "quite a bit of the day there".

I should have said that differently - the 'day' for us will hopefully be quite a bit less that the 10 + hours most of the regular Rome tours consume. We may just take the train - I found another post that gives really specific instructions.

Really, the best way to see the Sistine Chapel is to take one of the after hours tours. This isn't possible on a cruise ship stop, but if you have a day in Rome before or after a cruise, it's the way to go if this is your interest. It was truly amazing to be in there with only about a dozen people (one of whom was a Vatican curator), no one shushing us, no one bumping into us, no guards shouting "no pictures", etc.

We saw the Sistine Chapel at night on a special Crystal Cruises tour. It was wonderful as we got to sit in the Chapel for about one hour and really learned so much. I am sure the evening tours that are now offered through the Vatican are very good as well. It was so much better than when we saw it during the daytime with all the crowds.

Keith

FYI the chapel is small and expect it to be crowded and standing room only during peak summer and tourist times. It was one of the highlights of the many attractions in Rome but if that is your only goal I think you might be putting too many eggs in one basket. The place will be poorly lit and like I said packed. I couldn't imagine spending more then 30' regardless of how glorious the walls and ceilings look.

I agree if you can score an after hours tour that is worth it.

Has anyone taken a Rome tour that we primarily focused on the Sistine Chapel? We would like to spend quite a bit of a day there, but it seems like everything we see cover a lot of territory and time that we have already experienced.

I'm a huge fan of museums and art, but even I'd be hard pressed to spend more than a good half hour to 45 minutes there. It's not exactly a serene experience...

As eurocruiser says, the after hours tour is supposed to be wonderful. The Sistine isn't my real area of interest, but if it were, I'd look into something like that.

Now if they would just offer the chance of a typical Roman banquet in the Domus Aurea, you could name your price and I'd sign up...

We were there last week -- no special tour, we just had pre-booked a 2:00 admission time to the Vatican Museum and went on our own. The crush of people was unbelievable. As you probably know, it's necessary to wind through many rooms in the museum to reach the Sistine Chapel, and it was shoulder to shoulder starting many rooms before we reached the Chapel. Tour groups were having a difficult time staying together because the crowd was so dense. Being herded along with so many people packed so tightly together was a very unpleasant experience. Two lessons learned: Next time we won't go at the height of the summer tourist season, and if there's a way to book a smaller after hours tour, we will do it.

Thankfully, our cruise stop will be in October, although I have no doubt it will still be crowded. We don't have the option of an evening visit this time, but will very likely plan a return trip when we can stay longer in the area. Thanks for all the comments. If we don't spend a lot of time there we can always visit some other sites in the city before returning to the port.

Having been there three times, I have to say that the only way I would go back to the Sistine Chapel is on one of the after-hours tours. Like you, I would love to spend hours there in quiet contemplation of the art and the history and the space itself, but I found all my experiences there ultimately unpleasant because of the crowds and noise. If you've never seen it, by all means go, but I can pretty much guarantee that you're not going to want to spend all day there.

For those of you on your first visit to the Sistine Chapel and the Vatican Museum do not worry about what you will see. Like all of us visit it during the daytime and just enjoy it all. If you do get back again, then this is one you could consider an evening tour if time permits. After all that is how most of us have done this. If this was your frist time here and you just came in the evening you wouldn't have as much time in the other areas. I have done it both ways and am glad I have.

Keith

Euro cruise - do you remember the approximate cost of the after hours tour? did you book directly with the Vatican, or with a private company?

Thanks!

We tried to book it for our pre-cruise in October 2010:

It's currently on Friday Night in September/October 2010.

Same admission like day tours:

31.00 EUR incl. group tour

19.00 EUR if you just browse yourself

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceLivelloVisita=17&step=1

So as our cruise-ship is leaving on a Wednesday it is too far from that day so that we need to see it on a Tuesday.

But hurry up: we just wanted to reschedule the tickets and were surprised how fast they were sold after 72 hours of availability.

Regards

HeinBloed

You can book individual tours directly with the Vatican:

31.00 EUR (incl. headsets etc.) for 2 hours window:

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceTipoVisita=10&step=2

We booked it and were surprised how fast it was sold out.

Regards

HeinBloed

This looks really appealing to us. I just went and checked out our date (Oct, 22), and it said it was unavailable. However, it seems all the available dates for the tours end on October 8th. Do you think it's possible that I just can't reserve it this far in advance?

This looks really appealing to us. I just went and checked out our date (Oct, 22), and it said it was unavailable. However, it seems all the available dates for the tours end on October 8th. Do you think it's possible that I just can't reserve it this far in advance?

Check on August 21 (and around day by day) again then tickets for October 22 should be available.

We waited the same time so we booked last week for October 5. Now we wanted to change to October 4... after 72 hours it was not available anymore.

Do not forget 6 hours (EDT) time difference to us in Europe that you might set your alarm to check what happens during the night time (our time).

Regards

HeinBloed

Check on August 21 (and around day by day) again then tickets for October 22 should be available.

We waited the same time so we booked last week for October 5. Now we wanted to change to October 4... after 72 hours it was not available anymore.

Do not forget 6 hours (EDT) time difference to us in Europe that you might set your alarm to check what happens during the night time (our time).

Regards

HeinBloed

Danke HeinBloed! That's just what I was hoping to hear!!! Also, I think you're on the same cruise as us, just the week before. Have you decided what you're doing in Tunisia yet?

Danke HeinBloed! That's just what I was hoping to hear!!! Also, I think you're on the same cruise as us, just the week before. Have you decided what you're doing in Tunisia yet?

Yes - for 29.00 USD for Catharge and Sidi Bou Said...

you cannot make any thing wrong...

Sidi Bou Said seems to be like the Tunesian version of Portofino:

http://www.google.de/images?hl=de&rlz=1G1GGLQ_DEDE304&q=Sidi+Bou+Said&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=vl1gTLuWMdDvOei-rZ8P&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQsAQwAA

So you are doing Rome as post-cruise???

Regards

HeinBloed

Yes - for 29.00 USD for Catharge and Sidi Bou Said...

you cannot make any thing wrong...

Sidi Bou Said seems to be like the Tunesian version of Portofino:

http://www.google.de/images?hl=de&rlz=1G1GGLQ_DEDE304&q=Sidi+Bou+Said&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=vl1gTLuWMdDvOei-rZ8P&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQsAQwAA

So you are doing Rome as post-cruise???

Regards

HeinBloed

That's exactly the tour we are doing too. I've heard great things about Sidi Bou Said. Everyone seems so upset about the change. I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed about not going to Portofino, because I was so excited about Cinque Terre. However, that has no reflection of my thoughts on Tunisia. I am ecstatic to see Carthage!!!

Yes, we are doing Rome post cruise. We will be there for 3 nights. The first night is our anniversary. Any suggestions?

Archived