Which tour to take with SPB Tours

By reading reviews we've narrowed it down to SPB Tours. This is for 2011. They have several options (see Link). At a high level:

Tour A - $260pp for 6 (8 hour first day)

Tour B - Add $20 and Church of the Spilled Blood

Tour C - Add $40, Yusupovs' Palace, and hydrofoil.

Deluxe - Add $90. Special admission everywhere, plus all meals and photo passes. (12 hour first day)

Just wondering what others have taken. I'm not sure how much meals and photo passes might worth, but special admission sounds like a real plus.

We just did a 2 day active tour with SPB. I don't remember what the tour was called but it was 12 hours the first day and 8.5 hours the second day.

We were not asked to buy any photo passes on tour but our guide would tell us when photos were forbidden.

The first day we went to a casual lunch restaurant that specialized in meat pies, I don't remember the cost but we stopped at an ATM to get rubles. It was not expensive. The second day we went to a full restaurant and used a credit card, it was not terribly expensive. I'm sorry I do not remember the amounts.

I'm not sure what special admission means. Anytime you have a guide you get to the front of the line or they take you in a side door.

SPB was first class. We loved the 2 days.

We did a 'custom' tour with SPB that a friend who had been to St. P-burg organized for $340pp for 8. She wanted to include the Peterhof Palace which was a significant disappointment IMHO (Crowds, the guide, Eugene, couldn't use the typical "pull" to advance us to the head of the queue, it didn't compare to Catharine's Palace, too much down time waiting to get in & then we rushed thru fighting our way past huge tour groups in the narrow hallways so as to catch the hydrofoil back to the city.) Admissions, including early admission to the Hermitage PLUS the Diamond Room there, were included as well as camera passes.

I would suggest ensuring that you have time for a non-rushed lunch. We caught fast food at the Peterhof Day 1, only to wait nearly an hour to get into the Palace, and then a rushed stolli lunch Day 2 so as to make our pre-booked Yusopov tour, which was far better than the Peterhof Palace.

One of the highlights for all 8 of us, was the "Feel Yourself Russian" show at one of the palaces. We were exhausted, but this folklore show energized us. It was an extra $50pp.

Places/activities that are includeded in most of SPB's ready-made tours such as St. Isaac's or Church on Spilled Blood weren't on our custom itinerary. Although our schedule did include the farmer's market we never got there. We did enter the Subway but, because our guide suffered from claustrophobia, we didn't ride it. However, most everyone in our group was very pleased with SPB and our guide.

We also had a customized tour with SPB this past July. For 8 of us (4 couples) we paid $295 + $55 (FolkLore Show) pp - this included everything: visas, entrance fees, hydrofoil, etc. Tips (guide & driver) were extra. Our itinerary was a combination of Viktoria's suggestions and ours. She seemed very easy to work with - someone else was the contact person but she forwarded all E-mails to all of us.

Our Itinerary was:

Friday, JULY 9th 7.00 AM-6.00 PM

07.00-07.30 am Meet at the ship

07.30-09.30 am City sightseeing tour. Subway ride. A visit to the local farmers’ market (upon your request)

09.30-10.30 am Drive to the Tsars’ Village (summer residence)

10.30-12.30 pm A visit to the Catherine's Palace with the Amber room and a walk in the park

12.30-01.15 pm Lunch at a local restaurant

01.15-02.15 pm Drive to Peterhof

02.15-04.00 pm Walk in the Peterhof Lower fountain park and the Upper gardens. Optional visit to the Monplaisire palace, the Catherine's Block or Empress’s Bath House (+$15 pp)

04.00-04.30 pm Hydrofoil ride to St.Petersburg

05.00-05.30 pm Excursion in the Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood

06.00 pm evening activities, folklore show *** Folklore show: O.K. We'll book 8 tickets to the Folklore show at $55 per person. This price includes a small buffet during the intermission and a transfer. There will be no additional charge. There is no strict dress code in summer especially regarding the Folklore show. (At Mariinsky theatre one shouldn't wear shorts and a t-shirt). If you want to take something to change with you, you'll have a chance to change clothes at the restroom at the Nicolas palace where the show will take place.

Saturday, JULY 10th 8.00AM-5.00PM

08.00 am Meet at the ship

08.00-09.30 am City sightseeing tour covering the major sights and photo and shopping stops

09.45-10.45 am A visit to Peter and Paul's fortress and cathedral

11.15-12.45 pm A visit to the Yusupov's Palace

Lunch: traditional Russian meal (optional)

Box lunches (optional +$15 p/p) – NOTE: we went to Stolle

01.15-04.15 pm The Hermitage museum

05.00pm Return to the ship

On Saturday (2nd day) morning I had asked about buying stamps to mail postcards, so we stopped at the main post office (our cards were home before us!). We also stopped at St. Nikolas Catherdral and the Cruiser Aurora - just to get out of the van to see it, not go aboard.

Hope this helps!

Our most anticipated tour itinerary was with SPb in St. Petersburg. Viktoria greeted us at the pier, introduced us to our guide Alexander, and walked us to our tour van. We had booked a Deluxe 2-day tour for four people and created our own itinerary which included early entrance to the Hermitage and 4 entrances to the Gold Room. We LOVED the early entrance as it allowed us to walk into some gorgeous rooms and halls with virtually no one but us there and offered great pictures. As we were leaving, my friend asked "what about the Gold Room?" Our guide said we needed special reservations. We replied that we reserved those. He immediately called Viktoria. Long story, short, we didn't get to see the gold room...(and this was one of the reasons why we chose SPb...) My friend chose to purchase a ship shore excursion on our third day in St. Petersburg to re-visit the Hermitage and the Gold Room.

Despite that one fiasco, our SPb tour was great otherwise and Alexander was a great guide. Just make sure you ask to see your itinerary before you start your tour.

If you are going to Catherine's Palace, do not bother going into the main palace at Peterhof (as TMLA's post above points out), just do the gardens and perhaps Monplaisire. Yusopov Palace is great, original (not reconstruction) and the Rasputin association also adds to the enjoyment. Traffic to and from the Peterhof is terrible, a big waste of your limited time, so the hydrofoil definitely is worthwhile.

(My opinions based on a 3-1/2 day stay in St. Petersburg three years ago.)

We also had a customized tour with SPB this past July. For 8 of us (4 couples) we paid $295 + $55 (FolkLore Show) pp - this included everything: visas, entrance fees, hydrofoil, etc. Tips (guide & driver) were extra. Our itinerary was a combination of Viktoria's suggestions and ours. She seemed very easy to work with - someone else was the contact person but she forwarded all E-mails to all of us.

Our Itinerary was:

Friday, JULY 9th 7.00 AM-6.00 PM

07.30-09.30 am City sightseeing tour. Subway ride. A visit to the local farmers’ market (upon your request)

09.30-10.30 am Drive to the Tsars’ Village (summer residence)

10.30-12.30 pm A visit to the Catherine's Palace with the Amber room and a walk in the park

12.30-01.15 pm Lunch at a local restaurant

01.15-02.15 pm Drive to Peterhof

02.15-04.00 pm Walk in the Peterhof Lower fountain park and the Upper gardens. Optional visit to the Monplaisire palace, the Catherine's Block or Empress’s Bath House (+$15 pp)

04.00-04.30 pm Hydrofoil ride to St.Petersburg

05.00-05.30 pm Excursion in the Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood

06.00 pm evening activities, folklore show *** Folklore show: O.K. We'll book 8 tickets to the Folklore show at $55 per person. This price includes a small buffet during the intermission and a transfer. There will be no additional charge. There is no strict dress code in summer especially regarding the Folklore show. (At Mariinsky theatre one shouldn't wear shorts and a t-shirt). If you want to take something to change with you, you'll have a chance to change clothes at the restroom at the Nicolas palace where the show will take place.

Saturday, JULY 10th 8.00AM-5.00PM

08.00 am Meet at the ship

08.00-09.30 am City sightseeing tour covering the major sights and photo and shopping stops

09.45-10.45 am A visit to Peter and Paul's fortress and cathedral

11.15-12.45 pm A visit to the Yusupov's Palace

Lunch: traditional Russian meal (optional)

Box lunches (optional +$15 p/p) – NOTE: we went to Stolle

01.15-04.15 pm The Hermitage museum

05.00pm Return to the ship

On Saturday (2nd day) morning I had asked about buying stamps to mail postcards, so we stopped at the main post office (our cards were home before us!). We also stopped at St. Nikolas Catherdral and the Cruiser Aurora - just to get out of the van to see it, not go aboard.

Hope this helps!

Weren't you exhausted at the end of this? I am trying to figure out how much to do in SP, I guess you had enough breaks in traveling around to keep going?

Kirk

July(2009) my family pretty much did the the same Itinerary as Fotopeg did with STB-tours.Our ages range from 15-79 years old.Yes,the first day was long and tiring but was so enjoyable you did not realize you were tired.Our guide(Elena Skidan) was outstanding and kept everything running very smoothly.Can't say enough good things about STB-Tours and Viktoria.First class all the way.

Go for it

SPB TOURS is absolutely a top of the line professional company. Viktoria Rother, the tour director, takes care of every detail so that you will not have to worry about anything from the moment you email her about a tour until you must say your sad goodbyes. Our guide Maria and our driver Max were outstanding in every way possible. Both were fluent in English and Maria has mastered the historical aspects of every stop. She also added current information, answered our numerous questions, located an ATM and helped with souvenirs. Lunch was a delicious yet inexpensive local blinis or piroggi—just what we wanted. Max handled the air-conditioned Mercedes van with ease (traffic jams and parking can be a nightmare) and always took us very close to the entrance or exit. We (Moderate Tour-2 couples ages 28 and 58-on July 28-29, 2010) saw all the major highlights of St. Petersburg (city tour, Place Square, Peter and Paul’s fortress and cathedral, Church on Spilled Blood, Hermitage Museum, etc) and the environs (subway ride, Peterhof, Tsars’ Village, Catherine’s Palace with the Amber room, etc) in two full days. It is not necessary to have a visa or reserve numerous tours. St. Petersburg is a beautiful city and you will not be disappointed by taking a tour from this company.

We used SPB tours for our time in St Petersburg last year.

We did their 'Baltic Pearl' package which is pretty much everything there is to see and do in St Petersburg, but without the time to change the itinerary. But, Viktoria so much wants to please her clients, we asked if they could add the Choral Synagogue onto this package and they did without blinking an eye.

Two day package tour “The Baltic Pearl

Please note: The minimum group for this tour is 10 people!

Tour price includes the following services:

1. all port fees for two days

2. english-speaking guide for two days

3. A/C vehicle for two days with given schedule below (every extra hour costs $30)

4. admission tickets to all the museums shown on the itinerary

5. pass for the camera and for the video-filming in the museums (one per couple)

6. cost of lunches on day 1 and day 2

7. canal boat ride on a private boat

8. hydrofoil ride

9. subway ride

DAY 1 | 8.00 am – 6.00 pm

8.00 am Meet at the ship, Subway ride

8.00 am – 9.30 am

City sightseeing tour. Subway ride.

9.30 am – 10.15 am

Drive to the Tsars’ Village (summer residence)

10.30 am – 12.15 pm

A visit to Catherine's Palace with the Amber room and a walk in the park

12.15 pm – 1.15 pm

Lunch at a nice local restaurant

1.30 pm – 2.30 pm Drive to Peterhof

2.30 pm – 4.30 pm

Walk in the Peterhof Lower fountain park and the Upper gardens

4.30 pm – 5.10 pm

Drive back to the city by hydrofoil

6.00 pm Return to the ship

optional (+ $ 50 pp: price is valid for 6 people and more )

DAY 2 | 9.00 am – 5.00 pm

9.00 am

Meet at the ship

9.00 am – 10.00 am

City sightseeing tour covering the major sights and photo-stops.

10.00 am – 10.45 am

A visit to Peter and Paul's fortress and Cathedral

11.00 am – 11.30 am

Excursion inside the Church of Our Saviour on Spilled Blood

11.45 am – 12.45 pm

Lunch: traditional Russian meal at a local restaurant

1.00 pm – 2.45 pm

The Hermitage Museum

3.15 pm – 4.15 pm

Canal boat ride on a private boat

5.00 pm Return to the ship

Some of the itinerary was changed around each day, depending on the weather and traffic and such. We had magnificent weather day one, so they tried to get as many of the outdoor activities into that day, like the Canal Boat ride, which was scheduled for day 2. Fact is, we had magnificent weather both days so it really didn't matter, but who knew that on day one.

Cheers

Len

We did a very active 2 day tour with TJ Travel saw everything the above has mentioned and a few more, extra sights that just came up..like riding the subway, a visit to a Russian grocery store and a very beautiful post office and the Grand Palace Hotel..Our day one lunch was at a very popular Russian Bakery (approx $10.00 for us and our guide) and Stolle Pie Cafe on the second day (same price) We stood in none of the long lines anywhere we went (even though there were some very long ones) went right to the front..Our driver dropped us off and picked us up as close to the entrance/exit as it was possible (amazing). We were in a new Mercedes and our driver navigated us from sight to sight avoiding what seemed to be all the traffic..(we called him the Russian Transporter)..An experience of a lifetime !! With whatever tour company you use...

We customized our tour with SPB as well. It was an amazing day, and I can't recommend them enough!!!

Our one-day tour:

07.30-09.30 am City sightseeing tour covering the major sights and photo stops

09.30-10.15 am Hydrofoil to Peterhof

10.30-12.00 pm A walk in the Peterhof Fountain park

12.00-01.00 pm Drive back to the city

01.00-01.30 pm Lunch: local piroggi's place

01.30-03.30 pm A visit to the Hermitage Museum

04.00-04.45 pm A visit to the Church on the Spilled Blood

05.00-05.45 pm A visit to St. Isaac's Cathedral

06:30 pm Return to the ship

They then returned to the ship around 7pm for just my DH and I, and we took an evening canal tour and went out for drinks, returning around 10:45pm.

KirkNC ~ sorry answer has taken so long - been a wonderfully busy summer! As far as being exhausted - I had expected to be but was far from over-tired when we go back to the ship about 9:15pm!! I had visions of us crashing on our balcony barely being able to eat - instead we and another couple dined in Bistro on Five complete with glasses of wine!

Thinking back - I feel it was the fact that - while we did a lot - it wasn't mentally exhausting. What I mean is that we were being "fed" a lot of facts and kept "on-the-go" but we didn't have to worry about finding parking or traffic jams (bad going to Peterhof) or buying tickets in a foreign language or where to go - or getting through crowds. All of that was handled very professionally by Elena (guide) and/or Nicholas (driver). So I don't think we were half as tired as we thought we'd be!

Also, the first day, I was very happy that we didn't stop at the ship in-between the tour and FolkLore show! We had the opportunity to spend about 30 minutes at a gift shop directly across the street from the Palace where the show took place. It may sound silly but "coming down" from the day by slowly walking around the store and enjoying some free vodka or coffee was really enjoyable. Then we slowly walked across the street (we had plenty of time!) and Elena left us in the Palace after handing in our tickets. the Palace had some tables of gifts for sale and also champagne to sip. We walked around and then found good seats to crash into! We talked and relazed a bit and about 10 minutes before the show some fellow cruisers came rushing in - they had toured, returned to the ship (long lines going through customs), rushed something to eat and ran to get their ride back to the show - they were exhausted! Boy, was I happy we hadn't experienced all that!

It's an individual situationa dn everyone has to plan/do what they think best - but I'm more than happy we planned it the way we did!

Have a great cruise whatever you plan!!!

• 2 weeks later...
KirkNC ~ sorry answer has taken so long - been a wonderfully busy summer! As far as being exhausted - I had expected to be but was far from over-tired when we go back to the ship about 9:15pm!! I had visions of us crashing on our balcony barely being able to eat - instead we and another couple dined in Bistro on Five complete with glasses of wine!

Thinking back - I feel it was the fact that - while we did a lot - it wasn't mentally exhausting. What I mean is that we were being "fed" a lot of facts and kept "on-the-go" but we didn't have to worry about finding parking or traffic jams (bad going to Peterhof) or buying tickets in a foreign language or where to go - or getting through crowds. All of that was handled very professionally by Elena (guide) and/or Nicholas (driver). So I don't think we were half as tired as we thought we'd be!

Also, the first day, I was very happy that we didn't stop at the ship in-between the tour and FolkLore show! We had the opportunity to spend about 30 minutes at a gift shop directly across the street from the Palace where the show took place. It may sound silly but "coming down" from the day by slowly walking around the store and enjoying some free vodka or coffee was really enjoyable. Then we slowly walked across the street (we had plenty of time!) and Elena left us in the Palace after handing in our tickets. the Palace had some tables of gifts for sale and also champagne to sip. We walked around and then found good seats to crash into! We talked and relazed a bit and about 10 minutes before the show some fellow cruisers came rushing in - they had toured, returned to the ship (long lines going through customs), rushed something to eat and ran to get their ride back to the show - they were exhausted! Boy, was I happy we hadn't experienced all that!

It's an individual situationa dn everyone has to plan/do what they think best - but I'm more than happy we planned it the way we did!

Have a great cruise whatever you plan!!!

Peg,

Thanks for the response. I completely understand what you are saying about the mentally exhausting. We usually do DIY and I always have the pressure on me as I am the guide. It also appears that there were enough breaks be it sitting in a car or eating or whatever where you are not on your feet all the time. We did a western Med trip this summer and many places (the Vatican is a good example) you were on your feet for 4-5 hours with only minimal breaks.

thanks again,

Kirk

A couple of follow-up questions if I may.

Did you book your excursion with just your party or did Vicki add others to your group? I have posted on her roll call but was wondering what the odds are that the three in my party will find 3-4 more to share the trip with.

On the Hermitage, I really would like to do the early entrance but it really adds to the cost, those who did it, was it worth it? Those who did not, do you wish you did?

Thanks!

Kirk

We had 8 people in our family group. We were not mixed with others. But I know it works because our roll call board had a couple of parties looking to get into a private group just prior to sailing. One of the couples got in a share through SPB.

Post on the CC roll call if you want more people but I would not post this far ahead. Wait until final payments are made, plans change.

We did not do early Hermitage admission The museum was crowded when we arrived but it was doable. If you wanted to take pictures of a piece there were a few people in line most of the time.

We just returned from our Baltic cruise and used SPB for a very extensive 2 day tour in St. Petersburg. Fabulous tour.

We booked as a group of 4 with a willingness to have a group up to 8. We eventually decided to stick with the group of 4, but Viktoria did contact us to see if we would like to tour with 4 other people. We decided not to add the others to our group in order to give us maximum flexibility in touring.

Between using the the roll call and Viktoria working to put together a larger group, I don't think that there would be any problem adding additional people to your tour.

We visited the Hermitage on a Saturday afternoon and I did not consider it crowded at all. We did not have to get on the long line to enter so were in the museum in a few minutes.

Rich

A couple of follow-up questions if I may.

On the Hermitage, I really would like to do the early entrance but it really adds to the cost, those who did it, was it worth it? Those who did not, do you wish you did?

Thanks!

Kirk

We did the early admission (see my post #3, earlier on this thread) and I felt it was worth it in terms of the Hermitage being uncrowded. This was on a Sunday morning. After suffering thru a very crowded Peterhof Palace the previous day, it was a delight to experience this fabulous museum in a relaxed manner. We were there nearly 3 hours and after that toured the Diamond Room which I felt worth the extra cost as well.

Just to qualify my response. I'm from the New York City suburbs, so my idea of a crowd might be different from most people. My idea of a crowd is the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree where you can barely move. There was a long line to get into the museum, but we avoided that and once in we moved through the museum fairly quickly. Never felt backed up anywhere.

Rich

Just to qualify my response. I'm from the New York City suburbs, so my idea of a crowd might be different from most people. My idea of a crowd is the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree where you can barely move. There was a long line to get into the museum, but we avoided that and once in we moved through the museum fairly quickly. Never felt backed up anywhere.

Rich

Rich

Hi neighbor. Where on LI are you from??

I agree with what you said. Some people think 5 cars waiting for the light to change is a traffic jam, little do they know of the LIE.

Cheers

Len

Rich

Hi neighbor. Where on LI are you from??

I agree with what you said. Some people think 5 cars waiting for the light to change is a traffic jam, little do they know of the LIE.

Cheers

Len

We're from West Islip, but I worked in NYC for 35 years. Eventually, the commute did me in and I decided it was time to retire and spend time traveling.

Thank you for your insights. They helped me with my trip planning and my decision to go with SPB.

Rich

Rich

The Rockefeller Center crowd was the type of crowd we encountered inside the Peterhof Palace. But at the Hermitage and Yusopov Palace, we had lots of breathing room and the opportunity to linger at what most interested us.

BTW, as a native Queens girl, I do know from crowded. We also encountered some crowd drama involving pushing, shoving and yelling while waiting to board the hydrofoil with but our SPB tour guide used his pull to keep us well out of it as we boarded ahead of the impatient, flusterated (an Ohioism) mob.

Hi Kirk ~ again sorry for the delay! In booking with SPB: originally there were 4 of us and we really wanted 8 - we thought we'd get 4 more on our CC roll call. We booked with Viktoria and explained all this. Within a day, she had 4 others, from our ship, for us - they weren't on our CC yet. We E-mailed them and "talked" about the SBP tour and decided that it'd work out - and it did perfectly!! We were a GREAT match!! So I'd suggest 1st that you try your CC and 2nd Viktoria. We didn't have a really active CC but people were joining with just a few months befor ethe cruise and fist thing they'd ask about was joining a St Pete tour!

Hermitage ~ we didn't do the early admission. I wasn't the main contact person with Vikoria but, if I recall correctly, she didn't think it necessary - don't know if that was based on the number of ships in port or the fact that it'd e a Saturday or the guide didn't want to - but it wasn't over-crowded IMHO - but that's coming from a NYC person! And Rich, you're correct, Rockerfeller Christmas is a good measuring stick - these days I dread that excursion!!! The Hermitage wasn't nearly as crowded as I thought it'd be - it was possible to get photos!

Len ~ I haven't forgotten your E-mail, just been so busy since July, things haven't "settled down", but I will get back to you!!

On a 2-day 'moderate' tour with Alla Tours (excellent) we did this :

The Fountains of Peterhof

The Catherine Palace at Pushkin

Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral

St Isaac's Cathedral

Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood

The Winter Palace/Hermitage State Museum

plus the usual sightseeing, photo stops and subway ride.

Videos from the other ports on that 11-day Baltic Cruise (HAL Eurodam) :

Copenhagen

Tallin

Helsinki

Suomenlinna (Fortress of Finland)

Stockholm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NweRnGqZ1k

Royal Warship Vasa & the Vasa Museum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x45l1WMZOXA

Archived