Bermuda/Hamilton: No exposed knees???

JEDIKNIGHT

Weird question....

Sending someone on a Bermuda cruise and for some of the shore excursions, we read stuff to the effect of:

"No short pants exposing knees when getting off the ship"

"Bathing suits worn under loose clothing"

Does this mean someone can't wear shorts when getting off the ship? Or someone can't wear their bathing suit coming off the ship?

Thanks

Weird question....

Sending someone on a Bermuda cruise and for some of the shore excursions, we read stuff to the effect of:

"No short pants exposing knees when getting off the ship"

"Bathing suits worn under loose clothing"

Does this mean someone can't wear shorts when getting off the ship? Or someone can't wear their bathing suit coming off the ship?

Thanks

Bermuda and Bermudians are very conservative. It is looked at as indecent for women to walk around (except for at the beach) in only a swim suit or to wear short shorts or low cut tops etc... so it is probably looked at as disrespectful and why they ask that you wear covering clothing.

Hi, Jedi!

DH & I went on a cruise to Bermuda 2 years ago. You definitely can NOT wear your bathing suit off the ship ... you must wear a coverup over it.

As for shorts ... we wore them all over the place without a problem. It was very hot & so I also wore tops w/ just spaghetti straps & no one said anything to me.

Bonnie

In point of fact, wearing bathing suits away from the pool/beach is considered poor form throughout the islands, most especially on the historically English islands (Barbados, Grenada, Bahamas, St. Lucia...). Even in Puerto Rico and on the Dutch and French islands, walking around in swim clothes will immediately brand you as a tourist. But in the English islands it is often considered disrespectful; and grown men don't even wear shorts in town, but always long pants.

In point of fact, wearing bathing suits away from the pool/beach is considered poor form throughout the islands, most especially on the historically English islands (Barbados, Grenada, Bahamas, St. Lucia...). Even in Puerto Rico and on the Dutch and French islands, walking around in swim clothes will immediately brand you as a tourist. But in the English islands it is often considered disrespectful; and grown men don't even wear shorts in town, but always long pants.

Men in Bermuda in fact do wear Bermuda shorts in public. According to Wikiedia Bermuda shorts are "now widely worn as semi-casual attire by both men and women. The hem can be cuffed or un-cuffed, around one inch above the knee. They are so-named because of their popularity in Bermuda, a British Ovseas Territory, where they are considered appropriate business attire for men when made of suit-like material and worn with knee-length socks, a a dress shirt, tie and blazer.

Men in Bermuda in fact do wear Bermuda shorts in public. According to Wikiedia Bermuda shorts [...] worn with knee-length socks, a a dress shirt, tie and blazer.

We saw many businessmen in Bermuda dressed for work exactly as highlighted in red.

Lisa

Thanks for the replies everyone!

And of course it's good to respect customs of a country or people, whether it's America, Bermuda, whatever.

Frankly, I kind of like some decorum and modesty anyway.

(Unless I"m at a beach and have dark glasses on. Man does not live by bread alone)

Thanks for the replies everyone!

And of course it's good to respect customs of a country or people, whether it's America, Bermuda, whatever.

Frankly, I kind of like some decorum and modesty anyway.

(Unless I"m at a beach and have dark glasses on. Man does not live by bread alone)

Excellent thoughts.

Have a wonderful time.

Keith

I am not sure how this picture will come out, but in this picture is a Bermudian gentleman in a jacket and his pink bermudas

I went on a business trip to Bermuda several years ago and quite a few of the men wore their suits with Bermuda shorts. It was pretty cool!

While recently on our Caribbean Princess cruise with a day stop in Bermuda, we took the bus to Horseshoe Bay beach. On the bus ride back, the driver told multiple people to put a cover-up over their bathing suit. She did not seem like she was going to let them stay on the bus if they did not comply. It was not a "suggestion", but an order.

Shorts are absolutely fine.

It was not a mean bus driver, but the rules. From the site : http://www.bermuda-online.org/getround.htm , section Getting Around for Visitors, sub-section Buses, restrictions:

No wet clothing, no bathing suits, proper attire only.

SBtS

I'm in no way saying it was a mean bus driver. I agree it was the rules and nice to see it being enforced. The passengers complied willingly. Here in NYC, it would have escalated into a news story.

I am not sure how this picture will come out, but in this picture is a Bermudian gentleman in a jacket and his pink bermudas

I don't think my hubby is going to wear that but will wear a nice pair of non-beach shorts & a collared golf shirt!

Archived