who is Perry Grant?

babyorca

ok some of you don't like perry- some of us including myself love his act. Why are you thinking of silly reasons why we like him? I would pay to see him at a NY cabaret so it's not a vacation mindset. I like the old songs and I like the silliness. Half the people in the room on my Baltic cruise were Brits and they were laughing just as hard as the Yanks.

OK, so I've finally had the chance to see what all of the fuss was about. Perry was on our Connie western med cruise. Three words: you're kidding, right? While he may be entertaining for those who enjoy campy entertainment, his singing is not that great. It's funny because I was talking to one of the senior officers in the photo gallery, outside of Michael's where Perry was performing, and HE AGREED! He doesn't get it either!

For those of you who like him, that's great. For me, I just didn't see it at all. Other entertainers on board were far more enjoyable (and tonally spot on). Sorry.

So, You and the Senior Officer have different sense of humor. Just because HE AGREED, mean that you are both don't get it...

I'll watch Perry for awhile and enjoy him, but not for the reasons probably intended. From my point of view, he is every cliche of the typical lounge singer, from the loud clothes, the jokes older than the hills, the pre-recorded instruments, the over-styled hair and so on and so on. I get a chuckle out of it for sure, but in no way do I find him a talented singer.

He is an entertainer! He has adopted a style that works, and he is successful with that style. His "show" is worth seeing because he is polished at doing what he does. He draws repeat customers to Celebrity and they love him for that, and surely compensate him appropriately.

It would be a mistake to be on the Constellation and not attend one of his shows because he's a really professional entertainer, good at his craft. However, it's up to you if you like him enough to come back.

ok some of you don't like perry- some of us including myself love his act. Why are you thinking of silly reasons why we like him? I would pay to see him at a NY cabaret so it's not a vacation mindset. I like the old songs and I like the silliness. Half the people in the room on my Baltic cruise were Brits and they were laughing just as hard as the Yanks.

Barbels, sorry but I am with JT1120, and I think if he was in a NY caberet Lounge he wouldn't last the week.

OK so he has become a cult on the Connie but I for one would love to see him moved on. We had an excellent musician on one of our Summit Cruises

who was much more talented. Perry whilst very professional does the same act night after night.

Now that the Connie has been upgraded/Solstisiced perhaps he would be better placed on one of the other M class ships.

I love perry, my husband loves perry and the 6 friends we took along to see see on our baltic cruise last year all love perry. It is my belief that those of you who don't love him have no sense of humor. The music in his act is secondary- although he is a fine pianist and singer. For the music we would go once maybe twice a cruise. For the laughing until it hurts we went for hours every night- all 8 of us. I am now suffering a severe case of perry withdrawal. I think I'll watch him on U-tube now.

I feel exactly the same way. LOVED his show, went every night, bought the CD and watch him on Utube. Non stop, over the top energy.

I feel exactly the same way. LOVED his show, went every night, bought the CD and watch him on Utube. Non stop, over the top energy.

We agree completely. Mr. Grant is an extraordinary talent --- we enjoy his music, his humor, his energy, and his kind and generous personality. Between cruises, we too happily watch his DVD and youtube. Fortunately, very soon we will see him again in person ---can't wait!

Now that the Connie has been upgraded/Solstisiced perhaps he would be better placed on one of the other M class ships.

Wow! Harsh! :eek:

My wife and I are young-ish, late 30's, early 40's. We saw Perry for the first time in 2008 on Connie. I, like others, had not laughed that hard in years. I'll return to Connie (or whatever ship is lucky enough to get him) just to see him entertain.

We ran into Perry one night while he was on the way to do his show. He recognized us from the previous night (we were sitting in the back near the door!) We were able to spend a few minutes talking with him, he truly is a great person, and that he would take the time while on the way to start his evening was appreciated on our part.

Has anyone ever seen a movie which they thought was very funny in a theater and had a completely different reaction when they subsequently saw that same movie at home on TV?

I sure have and think that how we react to comedy is often affected by group dynamics, as well as venue.

Group dynamics? I don't know...... I love being around the piano with Perry and when home, I will watch some of the youtube things on PERRY and I'm ear to ear smiling all over again., all by myself! Something about the man brings me sunshine. I think that the cruise is a perfect venue for him as it gives the passengers ample time to get "Hooked" and come to appreciate his unique abilities that a club in a city would not, although he has had success in that area in his earlier career.

Perry makes me laugh, sing the songs I love from the American songbook, have a great hilarious time, laugh at myself and appreciate the foibles of the human psyche. Love the guy!!

For a campy entertainer, yes, I can see how some would be entertained by him. As for singer, he's not that good. I booked acts into nightclubs and shows for years and can tell you that there is no WAY he would make it on the NY cabaret circuit. On the other hand, if I was still booking artists, I would book him into retirement communities, especially here in Florida, who would eat him up!

There's nothing wrong with the niche that he serves, but I'll be PC and just say that it is not for me and that I just don't get all the craze about him.

For a campy entertainer, yes, I can see how some would be entertained by him. As for singer, he's not that good. I booked acts into nightclubs and shows for years and can tell you that there is no WAY he would make it on the NY cabaret circuit. On the other hand, if I was still booking artists, I would book him into retirement communities, especially here in Florida, who would eat him up!

There's nothing wrong with the niche that he serves, but I'll be PC and just say that it is not for me and that I just don't get all the craze about him.

I am in complete agreement with you on this :).

My thoughts exactly! OTOH, some variety around the ship is good, and they only give him a very small venue.

JT, As someone who lived in Manhattan for fifteen years and took advantage of its cultural and recreational amenities, I agree with you completely.

• 5 months later...

Just got back from a cruise with Perry Grant on it and all I can say my son who is 18 and has been seriously perrified as have I. Perry had my son up every time we were in the Nichael's club and Perry referred to him as his twin brother. Perry is an extremely clever man with his humour and he really was the icing on our cake to our cruise.

Just got back from a cruise with Perry Grant on it and all I can say my son who is 18 and has been seriously perrified as have I. Perry had my son up every time we were in the Nichael's club and Perry referred to him as his twin brother. Perry is an extremely clever man with his humour and he really was the icing on our cake to our cruise.

Very well put!!! It was my first time seeing Perry last March and I thought he was brilliant:)

Is Celebrity planning to get rid of Century? *I can't believe they would use two of their ships for 4/5 night cruises.

The Celebrity CENTURY which will soon be heading to her 2011 Summer Alaska season and then onwards 'Down Under' will be replaced this Fall/Winter in the short-market Caribbean cruises by the Celebrity MILLENNIUM.

After their respective winter seasons both the above mentioned ships return to Alaska again for the summer 2012. In the Fall/Winter 2012/2013 the Celebrity CENTURY will be doing a series of Hawaii and Panama Canal cruises as the recently 'Solstice-ized' Celebrity MILLENNIUM enters a series of Asian itineraries leaving the short-market cruises to her sister the Celebrity CONSTELLATION, with the newer Soltice-class ships Celebrity EQUINOX and Celebrity ECLIPSE taking over the long Caribbean itineraries.

See this page/thread for more details:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1380217&page=14

Just returned from Constellation and LOVED Perry Grant!! Brilliant entertainer. My DH also is a big fan (so its not just the ladies). One does have to have a sense of humour though and not take oneself to seriously or you might not "get it".;) Show is all in good fun and its great to hear the old show tunes belted out by such a talent.

The old tunes belted out, and the laughing at oneself in only the best of ways, are what keep Mr. B. and me coming back to hear Perry every night. It's not everybody's sense of humor, but for us, it's perfect for when we're together on a cruise ship!

Thanks for that update about the cruise ships and their plans, dmw.

--May

I saw Perry Grant on the Constellation in October. He is WONDERFUL! Manyo f those in the audiance had seen him more than once and he even has GROOPIES that follow him from ship to ship. (One woman on our cruise had seen him 20 times and had hired him as the entertainment for a very large NON-PROFIT annual fundraiser where her really raised some hell! He does a wonderful show of classic American Standards and some wonderful tribute tunes to Judy Garland! He is a cross between Elton John, Dame Edna, and Liberace and he loves to kid with the audiance! If you offend easily or are homophobic stay in the back of the room because if you are worth picking on he will get you good!

I found him in Michael's 3 nights into the cruise and we were hooked for the rest of the trip.

Go top at least one show and I'll bet you go back for more!

Archived