Shorts in dining room for women?

On non formal nights, are is it acceptable for women to wear shorts to the dining room? Lunch or Dinner sittings? This would be an Alaskan/Pacific Coast cruise in September. Question was asked of me, don't shoot the messenger.

Pete

On non formal nights, are is it acceptable for women to wear shorts to the dining room? Lunch or Dinner sittings? This would be an Alaskan/Pacific Coast cruise in September. Question was asked of me, don't shoot the messenger.

Pete

There is an old saying in law enforcement.

When you raid the cathouse, you take the piano player too!:D

I've worn very nice short outfits in the MDR for dinner with nice sandals. although I've always had a caribbean theme night so I thought that worked.;)

I would not try cut off shorts with tanks and flip flops though.

Pete

:cool: Breakfast and Lunch only Pete. If she wears them at dinner, I"ll be the first to shoot both of you:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

There will always be "folks" that say "other people were doin' it" so I did too :eek:

despite a request NOT to (by the cruiseline!)

I, for one, would like to see people turned away for showing up to dinner in shorts. Just my opinion..... flame away.

Pete

You've gotten the correct answer. It is OK for lunch and not allowed for dinner. And, on an Alaskan cruise, it would probably stand out a bit more, trying to get away with shorts at dinner, than on a Caribbean cruise.

Pete

The term "shorts" covers a pretty wide range in style/length/etc. At dinner, nice dress shorts would most likely not stand out nor be noticed by most people. Cut-off jean shorts with holes probably would.

In any case, it's not that warm in Alaska in September, she may not want to.

You've gotten the correct answer. It is OK for lunch and not allowed for dinner. And, on an Alaskan cruise, it would probably stand out a bit more, trying to get away with shorts at dinner, than on a Caribbean cruise.
The logic of allowing women to wear skirts as short as they're willing to wear and not allowing shorts has always escaped me.

There will always be "folks" that say "other people were doin' it" so I did too :eek:

I, for one, would like to see people turned away for showing up to dinner in shorts. Just my opinion..... flame away.

AMEN - TURN THEM AWAY!!! Since they are not the decline in MDR dress will continue!!!

Ppl were turned away at Windjammer for wearing bathing suits...yet, a man was allowed to sit BESIDE THE CAPTAINS table wearing shorts, tanktop, ball cap with sunglasses on top!!!

When I inquired about this, I was told they don't want to upset passengers....what, I was inquiring so I was not happy....to be dressed up to enjoy a nice evening and that was my view:mad:

He should have been told at the door without proper attire he needed to use one of the other places on board for his dinner.

AMEN - TURN THEM AWAY!!! Since they are not the decline in MDR dress will continue!!!

Ppl were turned away at Windjammer for wearing bathing suits...yet, a man was allowed to sit BESIDE THE CAPTAINS table wearing shorts, tanktop, ball cap with sunglasses on top!!!

When I inquired about this, I was told they don't want to upset passengers....what, I was inquiring so I was not happy....to be dressed up to enjoy a nice evening and that was my view:mad:

He should have been told at the door without proper attire he needed to use one of the other places on board for his dinner.

Be prepared to possibly be trashed by those who say that whatever that man had on should not have ruined your dinner.

I agree with you...the bum should have been turned away at the door.:(

We were turned away at Portofino one night because we had shorts on. We had been in San Juan that day and decided to go see if we could eat there and while there were plenty of tables available, they asked that we change from shorts to something more suitable for the restaurant :D We changed and had a great dinner.

And yet, YOU were upset!! So, why would they choose to upset the multiple people in the dining room who are upset at looking at the (insert derogative noun of your choice), but not upset the ONE person at the door? That doesn't make sense to me.

Amen to the above! How could someone show so little respect as to show up at a Captain's table not appropriately dressed! If I were the person sitting him at the Captain's table, I would have said "Your clothes are inappropriate for dining with the Captain. Perhaps you would like to return to your room and change to more appropriate and respectful clothing". He is not worthy of sharing a meal with the captain. I sure wouldn't want him as my table mate.

They should go back to enforcing the rules. If you are not dressed according to the guidelines, stay out of the MDR.. Don't let them in...Ship them to Buffet areas, etc. I bet we'd see the dress code come back pretty quickly.

Yes, we pay to cruise and should have certain rights and privileges. When it comes to dining in the MDR, everyone should comply! If most can, why can't the others? We are ALL on vacation!!

Said my piece and now I'm done (for now).

Safe sails!

Things are really changing in the clothing department. I was really surprised to see a very high number of people wearing jeans to the MDR for dinner on the Oasis, this summer.

Formal nights are not really formal nights anymore. Most people wear nice clothes - nice cocktail length dress or pants and smart top for the women and dark suit or shirt/jacket for the men. I saw very few tuxes or floor length gowns on passengers with the exception of those families who were taking formal pictures. We were waiting for our table on the second formal night and a family with a teen aged son, who was wearing flipflops, denim shorts and a t-shirt, had no problem being seated. The Compass, which is a guideline as to what should be worn on every evening, veers away from shorts for women, but I have to tell you that if you wear a dressy pair of walking shorts with a nice top, you will in no way stand out on any of the nights, except for formal nights, and even then you will be better dressed than many of the passengers around you.

By far, the majority of the people on the ship change their clothes after dinner and are seen in casual clothes for the remainder of the evening, all around the ship.

We can debate this topic until the cows come home, but the fact is that the mainstream cruise lines have hugely relaxed dress codes and there is no going back. Luggage restrictions on planes, a braoder range of socio-economic levels represented on cruises, as well as the inability/unwillingness of the cruise industry to enforce a code are the factors which have contributed to this situation and I don't believe it's going to change.

In any case, it's not that warm in Alaska in September, she may not want to.

I'm going to side-step the question about shorts in the MDR altogether.

I haven't taken an Alaskan cruise, but I worked in Seward, Alaska for two summers and never wore a pair of shorts there once. I spent every day outside and there were only five days or so over the course of both summers that I would have been tempted to put on a pair of shorts. And even then I could not have worn them all day. There were far more days, even in the summer, that I was more comfortable wearing long johns, pants, a long sleeved shirt under my required work polo, a fleece, a jacket, and a hat. By September, even early September, the temperatures have already started to decline.

So perhaps the real question is, can one wear a fleece in the MDR. :rolleyes: (Don't worry people, I know, I know...the answer is no.)

By far, the majority of the people on the ship change their clothes after dinner and are seen in casual clothes for the remainder of the evening, all around the ship.

Is this a problem? Are there people who think that "formal night" means for the entire ship and/or if you go dressy to dinner you need to stay that way for the evening?

Archived