ATM's in Rome

NKG6002

I was able to get 200 euros, there are two issues here, one is the local ATM limit and then your banks.

IMHO just exchange before you arrive. You really want to be running from ATM to ATM getting cash? BTW I'm a firm believer in using he convenience of an ATM and almost always wait on many trips to get money once I land, but for big expenses that require cash I just sucked the exchange fees.

Enjoy your private tours!

There are three of us staying in Rome and planning several private tours that accept Euros only in payment. What is the usual daily limit at ATMs ? Some of the tours will be 500E or more. Thanks in advance !!

What is the usual daily limit at ATMs ? Some of the tours will be 500E or more.

The daily limit is imposed by your bank or other institution that issued your debit card. Check with them to learn what your limit is.

Lew

As others have said, there are two issues:

ATM point-of-purchase limits: In Rome, I've found some ATMs limit your "per withdrawal" amount; can be anywhere from 200 to 500 euro. This is not a daily limit; you can either try the same machine or find another machine to get more euro immediately, if needed.

Account daily withdrawal limits: This is set by your individual bank/credit union for your account and limits the amount of money you can withdraw within a 24-hour period. Remember that the 24-hour period will usually be US time, not local time. Also, the limit is in dollars, not euro. You can speak to your bank before traveling and have them raise the limit temporarily to a higher level, if you want.

We have usually found our limit to be 300 Euros per day. Since we do a lot of international travel our solution has been that my wife has a seperate bank account in a different bank for which she has another ATM/Debit card. Hence we can get up to 600 Euros per day by using 2 accounts and have the extra security of having seperate cards in case one gets lost, eaten by an ATM machine, or just fails to work.

Hank

I recommend you contact your bank for your card and they will let you know the limit. Before you go you should also let your credit card and atm banks know the dates for your trip and your itinerary so they don't think these transactions are fraud related.

Again, your ATM bank can let you know how much you can take out.

Keith

I have to travel all the time for work - and am not a fan of exchanging money in advance. In Rome specifically, I've never had problems withdrawing up to my bank's limit (about $500 USD per day) at major bank locations. As others have posted, sometimes you can have a limit for a small ATM, but you can keep withdrawing money up to your own bank's limit. Since you're probably going to multiple European countries, the great thing is, you can get money daily and use it for more than one country... What did we do before ATMs? Oh, I remember - those dern traveler's checks that no one would take when I got home..... and I had to trade them back in at the bank - and pay again...:eek:. I really don't like those things...... Whatever you do - have an awesome time - I just love Rome!!!

My ATM card is with a credit union. Can anyone tell me if they recall any ATM's that have The Exchange, Presto or Star logo on them. This is the only debit card I have . Also can you use a creit card in the ATM's in Europe. Thanks for any help you can give me.

My ATM card is with a credit union. Can anyone tell me if they recall any ATM's that have The Exchange, Presto or Star logo on them. This is the only debit card I have . Also can you use a creit card in the ATM's in Europe. Thanks for any help you can give me.

The Star system is compatible with most European ATMs (they will have the VISA and Star logo at the ATM). As others (including me) have said, you need to notify your credit union in advance of your itinerary and should have a 4 digit PIN (you need to know this in numbers since there are no letters on most European ATMs). If your card fails to work in an ATM, do not try a 2nd time but rather just go to a different bank's ATM.

Hank

If your ATM card appears to not work, it might be because you are trying to withdraw an amount that exceeds that ATM's maximum. Rather than find another ATM immediately, try reducing your withdrawal first. If you get to the point where you can't withdraw 300 - 400 Euros, then try another ATM.

I was in Rome for a city break in June arriving on a Sunday and staying in Campo De Fiori which is near the Pantheon, I tried to withdraw from 4 different ATM's and all said that my card was 'not authorised for International withdrawals', which was completely untrue as a Nationwide Flexcard does not require pre authorisation luckily I already had some Euros but same happened again next day and I was forced to exchange my cash at the exchange place next to the Pantheon. AVOID these robbers my flexcard exchange rate was £1.20 per Euro but this place only gave me 87p per Euro. My card worked fine later in an ATM I had already tried the previous day. I discovered the problem was ATM's in Rome regularly run out of cash over weekends! however if the ATM's had just said they were empty this would be a better explantion than 'not authorised' implying the card will not work anywhere.

As others have said, you need to ensure your bank authorizes your atm cards and knows about your international travel. I would also add a few points:

-Have more than one bank's atm card. I opened a paypal debit card just for our trip to Europe and transferred money to it before leaving. Besides having a good exchange rate it was needed as a backup since my regular bank put a hold on my atm card even though I had contacted them in advance.

-The translation on some ATMs is odd...instead of saying cash withdrawal on some ATMs it said "Cash Advance" which concerned me as cash advances are something I associate with a credit card and a high fee. It seemed to work as a cash withdrawal though, so just be sure you are using a debit card.

-One reason to use an ATM is to avoid bad exchange rates and fees from currency exchange counters, here and over there. Check with your bank for what they charge before you go since they may have either high fees or bad exchange rates that negate the whole point of using them.

That said, we paid all of our tours with cash and had no issue getting enough cash out to do it. It was also good to have cash for small purchases or from street artists where credit card usage would have been difficult.

Archived