Free Stuff to Do in Florence

starwhite2

I wanted to go to Fiesole in my short time in Florence but the Roman ruins are closed on Tuesday. So I made a list of free things to do in Florence. So many of the museums and churches have an admission charge - it mounts up.

San Lorenzo Open Air Market

Central Market

Duomo (not the museum or climbing to the dome) a.k.a. Santa Maria del Fiore - 3rd largest nave in Christendom

Baptistery bronze doores by Ghiberti facing the Duomo

Orsanmichele Church

Mercato Nuovo (the Straw Market)-Via Calimala and Via Porta Rossasee the pig "porcellino"

Palazzo Davanzati

Piazza della Repubblica - center of the Roman town marking intersection of two main roads, Via Corso & Via Roma

Palazzo Vecchio - free courtyard behind the fake David (you have to go through metal detectors but you don't have to pay)

Piazza della Signoria

Loggia dei Lanzi (Cellini's bronze statue of Perseus holding the head of Medusa and a plaque that says MCDXCVII [1498] where Savonarola was buried)

Ponte Vecchio

Piazzale Michelangelo (30 min. walk or take #12 or #13 bus from the train station) - great view of Florence

San Miniato al Monte Church

Badia Fiorentina

Sant'Ambrogio (off the beaten track but free)

Santa Maria Maggiore

Santa Trinita

Santissima Annunziata

Santo Stefano al Ponte (worth a visit for the theatrical design)

Uffizi Courtyard - you can see all the statues for free!

Museo Salvatore Ferragamo - the museum is free and there is a shop on the ground floor--there is a write-up about the museum here:

http://www.florence.world-guides.com/museums.html

Have I missed anything free?

It's a shame that so many of Florence's churches charge admission (most of these charges are small, however). As Keith says, I wouldn't let a 2 or 3 euro charge put me off visiting a place if I really was interested. However, it does discourage casual drop-in sightseeing. :(

One place I found fascinating that's not included on your list is the old pharmacy at Santa Maria Novella. It is a store, but one with a long and very interesting history. There aren't many places like it.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/heaven-scent.html

Starwhite2,

Thanks for posting that list of free things to do! We copied it and hope to use it during our overnight stay in Florence which may give us a half day of sightseeing. One advantage is probably no waiting in lines.

But as others have said, if something really good charges admission we might do it anyway.

Thanks for the link Cynthia, although I think I might quarrel a bit with the authors about their description of the neighborhood as "seedy". Maybe back behind the train station you could use that word, but I don't think it describes the area around the church or the pharmacy, do you?

I love this post. The first few times we were in Florence it was always a port day (from Livorno) and we did the usual museum stuff (Academia, Ufizzi, etc.). Then one year we happened to be driving from Paris to Rome (we do a lot of driving in Europe) and we broke with our usual tradition of bypassing Florence (we prefer staying in smaller towns) and spent a few days at a Florence Hotel (Hotel David). We avoided all the major museums and just let ourselves enjoy the city, did a lot of long walks, explored many small shops, went to outdoor markets, tried many different restaurants, etc. Guess what.......... we found we really loved Florence. And what a discover we made! Most of the city is outside musuems as is most of the real charm and it is often free.

Hank

Thanks for the link Cynthia, although I think I might quarrel a bit with the authors about their description of the neighborhood as "seedy". Maybe back behind the train station you could use that word, but I don't think it describes the area around the church or the pharmacy, do you?

Yes, I had the same thought when I read it. "Seedy" is definitely an overstatement. Methinks the writer was getting a little carried away. ;)

• 2 months later...
It's a shame that so many of Florence's churches charge admission (most of these charges are small, however). As Keith says, I wouldn't let a 2 or 3 euro charge put me off visiting a place if I really was interested. However, it does discourage casual drop-in sightseeing. :(

One place I found fascinating that's not included on your list is the old pharmacy at Santa Maria Novella. It is a store, but one with a long and very interesting history. There aren't many places like it.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/heaven-scent.html

I plan to pay 3-5 Euro to get into Santa Croce next year. If you tell them you are with a tour, I understand you get in for 3--otherwise 5. I didn't know about it last year but I intend to see where Michaelangelo and Galileo are entombed.

I love this post. The first few times we were in Florence it was always a port day (from Livorno) and we did the usual museum stuff (Academia, Ufizzi, etc.). Then one year we happened to be driving from Paris to Rome (we do a lot of driving in Europe) and we broke with our usual tradition of bypassing Florence (we prefer staying in smaller towns) and spent a few days at a Florence Hotel (Hotel David). We avoided all the major museums and just let ourselves enjoy the city, did a lot of long walks, explored many small shops, went to outdoor markets, tried many different restaurants, etc. Guess what.......... we found we really loved Florence. And what a discover we made! Most of the city is outside musuems as is most of the real charm and it is often free.

Hank

Hank,

I'm glad that you found the city that my DW and I enjoy and love. It has been 'our city' for 42+ years. We were there about a week and a half ago. Just wandered. No museums. Some shopping. Just soaked up the ambiance of Firenze. I'm ready to go back!

We have only been there once so far for three days. We spent much of the time wandering and we spent an incredible afternoon in a hole in the wall wine bar which had just been reviewed in the Herald Tribune. One of the workers spoke English and once he learned our wine interests he plied us with wonderful stuff and charged next to nothing. We camped across from Piazzale Michelangelo and could sit on the restaurant terrace taking in the view.

Archived