Food allergies on board - any tips?

Charity0000

Just found out my 18 month old has a peanut allergy. Kinda nervous about traveling on a ship and don't want to bring my own food. Does anyone have any experience with this that they care to share. We are traveling on NCL Epic. Do any of the menu's contain ingredient information or do the waiters let you know if something contains nuts.

thanks

On Norwegian, we won't have the same waiter every night ...with all the dining options, I guess it will be a little more tricky to make sure everyone is aware. But thanks for the tips.. I'll definately call the special needs department.

thanks

My dd9 is celiac, and I emailed a department that someone posted for me on the NCL board. They sent me back a list of foods I could check off what I want available (bunch of gluten free stuff), plus I was told I could meet with someone before every meal. I believe they have 2 kitchens, to avoid cross contamination. I think I will also be let known what not to get from the buffet. I guess I'll know more when I get back!

Since your child is 18 months old, you'll pretty much be able to control every bite that goes in his or her mouth. I have 2 DD's with food allergies (peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, clams). They are 9 and 13 years old, so it's a little more challenging since I'm not with them 24/7. Especially with the 13 year old. She's very aware of her peanut allergy and cautious about what she eats. She also seems less sensitive than the younger one, who is allergic to more foods. We've been on 9 family cruises without any incidents onboard, but the recent death on the Epic has definitely scared me. I'm hoping that more news will come out that explains more fully what happened.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/mostpop/story.aspx?storyid=141750&provider=top

Do let the special needs department know, even on NCL! They'll be ready to help you identify what does..and does not..have nuts. You'll need to be particularly careful around the buffet, as cross-contamination is a real hazard. People don't always put spoons or serving utensils back in the same dish, and it's real easy to get stuff your child isn't supposed to have!

Someone from the kitchen will sit down with you each day and go through the menu, and even though you won't have the same waiters, they will note as you enter the dining room which cabin you're from - and that will trigger their attention to come to where you'll be seated to make sure you get the right foods for your child. Since he's only 18 months, you'll have to do most of the selecting for your child, so at least you won't have to worry about your child heading off to the buffet or for a snack without you knowing! :o

You have some good advice here. I would add that you should avoid the buffet altogether, unless you can get things served by the cooks from a new tray with a clean utensil. You just don't know who touched the utensil last (what was on their hands) and if they have moved it from one dish to another, contaminating not only the utensil, but the supposedly nut-free dish. Some nut allergies are just so severe it's not worth the risk of a small cross contamination.

I would also contact NCL myself or via my TA to find out if they use peanut oil. If they do, you would want to be very, very cautious about any thing fried, tempura, etc. No matter what they say, check again when you are onboard.

Also, make sure you let the youth counselors know.

You have some good advice here. I would add that you should avoid the buffet altogether, unless you can get things served by the cooks from a new tray with a clean utensil. You just don't know who touched the utensil last (what was on their hands) and if they have moved it from one dish to another, contaminating not only the utensil, but the supposedly nut-free dish. Some nut allergies are just so severe it's not worth the risk of a small cross contamination.

Agree as well- you just never know if serving utensils have been cross contaminated & some peanut allergies are severe enough that even cross contaminating with hands to utensils is significant.

Our daycare has a few kids severely allergic & they have asked that all children not eat peanut butter/nuts immediately before coming in to school to make sure it is nowhere on anyones face, hands, clothing, etc

Ship services, special needs dept will take care of this for you-- it is a routine issue they are used to dealing with. With a few extra steps, communication, etc- you shouldn't have any issues

Archived